CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was unable and unwilling to admit to his father (and himself) that he killed the girls, so he made up the story about SW killing them. Once the reality of his deed sinks in, they better have him on a suicide watch.

And he was making $60,000 a year? I hate to say this, but it appears to me that Shannan was living in fantasy land. She said and did all the right things a successful person should say and do, but her method of obtaining money was never going to amount to anything. I’ve known people like that who believe so strongly, but it never happens. I can see that being a source of discord in their marriage. I wonder why Chris took a job with such a severe pay cut. Why they decided to have another baby at that time. They were financially doomed.
All my adult kids got involved in a marketing type complany, as well as my ex. To me it was an eyeroll. But it's all in the past and doesn't make you bad. It's just a way to hopefully make money. It's more of a con, if any, by the company.

Do we think that he was sick enough that he let SW know he had killed the children? To cause her maximum pain?

Any profilers that can answer this?
There are so many scenarios I can come up with. We have 3 hours of unaccounted for time from when she returned home that night. We know she returned from NC 2 days before she left for work in AZ. What went down between them during that reunion for those 2 days? We don’t know. We know she planned a gender reveal party the following weekend. It couldn’t have been that bad in her eyes. But we know they were in a very unstable financial situation that was about to crash, and I believe that’s what destroyed the marriage. He took up a lover, so he could escape, and he decided he wanted to chuck it all and start over. Millions of people have serious financial problems, many have affairs, but they don’t murder. Why did it happen here? We don’t know, and I think it’s too soon to know until we get more information.

All my adult kids got involved in a marketing type complany, as well as my ex. To me it was an eyeroll. But it's all in the past and doesn't make you bad. It's just a way to hopefully make money. It's more of a con, if any, by the company.
No, I’m not saying Shannon is bad, only pointing out that she grabbed onto a lifeline that wasn’t going to save her.

Imagine him rocking back and forth...

I don't want this to go to court for her family's sake, but I would love to see the prosecution throw his stupidity in his face in front of the world.

IMO, This is going to trial, I highly doubt that this narcissistic psychopath will ever settle. I wish that he would just plead guilty and be done with it. But I am sure he is going to fight this and drag Shanann through the mud. :(

Would bodies ever eventually be found in them?
I would like to know the answer to this as well. It worries me because I've never thought of these tanks as a way to dispose of bodies and if they could go for years and years without being found, it's possible others have used them for this purpose in the past.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I think it's important to understand the Watts' current financial situation from the public info. we have, and discuss how that plays into CW's motive. While I don't think their financial stressors were the only motive, I do think it played an important part, especially in the timing of the crime.

The Watts declared Ch 7 Bankruptcy in 2015. At that time, their combined income as around $90,000/year (CW earned around 65,000 as a field operator & SW was earning $18/hour at a call center).

They listed $448,820 in debt in their filing. This consisted of student loan debt (not discharged by BK), department store credit cards (Babies R Us, Nordstrom, Macy's), numerous medical bills, an $18,968 loan to Sharonview Credit Union, AS WELL AS the $400,000 house they purchased on Saratoga Trail in CO with an FHA loan in 2013.

Note: FHA loans are for low-income buyers & it allows them to borrow $ for a house they otherwise could not afford.

Records confirm they bought the house in 2013 from the builder for $399,954. The FHA loan was for $392,702. This confirms that there was very little down payment made, which disproves the theory that CW used SW for the money she got from the sale of her NC house from her first marriage. What if SW was already struggling with debt? What if she used the sale of her first house to try to pay down debt, which only bought her some more time? Once they purchased this CO home, which was way out of their league, they were quickly again under water financially.

So, here they are, married in 2012, with this big, expensive house by 2013, lots of existing debt, and a mortgage over $3,000/month PLUS an extremely high monthly mortgage premium due to FHA loan. They have their first child in 2015. They also declare bankruptcy that year. At the time they filed, they had $10 in their savings accounts, and $860 in their checking account.

In a Ch 7 Bankruptcy in CO, the only way to hold on to an asset like a house is to reaffirm the debt by bringing it to current. I'm assuming, based on their listed income at the time, that they were behind on their house payments before choosing to file for BK. I don't see how they could have been paying a $3,000 mortgage or bring it to current at the time of their filing with $870 TOTAL in their bank accounts.

Based on all of this info,. I think we can most likely conclude that they were losing their house. In addition, their HOA was suing them for several years of unpaid homeowners' dues. Their court date was to be this Friday, 8/24.

IMO they weren't paying HOA dues because they were losing the house & the dues would be paid through a lien by the bank upon sale.

So...knowing all of this info, I ask you: What if CW was about appearances just as much as SW was?
How would they explain this to friends and neighbors who believed their lifestyle was THRIVING?
Did CW resent SW for what he may have viewed as her culpability in their financial ruin?

Would love to hear your thoughts, sluethers!

Excellent post and I’m sort of on the same page as you. However, that house was a super-appreciating asset. At some time between 2015 and 2018, they could’ve sold the place, paid down debt, and moved into an apartment with a decent credit score. 2014 valuation 376k. 2015 valuation 444k. 2016 valuation 444k. 2017 valuation 485k. 2018 valuation 485k.

I was shopping for houses in northern Colorado, Frederick/Firestone/Erie on up north to Fort Collins in 2016 -2017. Prices just kept rising with people bidding up. Based on my experience, their house would’ve been bid up to over 500k in 2017, 2018.

I see no financial strategy with not paying HOA dues, since Colorado is a superlien state. They had the ability to regroup after the BK and sell the darn place and either downsize, rent a house, or rent an apartment. All of this would’ve salvaged and rebuilt their credit score.

I really wonder about the messaging during her trip.
I don't understand what he was doing not taking at least a few minutes extra to get rid of/hide her stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member