Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW GUILTY* #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so horrible. I do want to point out that since the charges against CW include "three counts of tampering with a deceased human body," this to me means there is no chance either of the girls were put into a tank alive. Cold comfort I know, but I recall your worrying about that and meant to post that. I think the autopsy will reveal his absolute guilt but more likely because he murdered his children by some other means or prior to murdering his wife.

Oh! Thank gods! You have relieved my mind greatly.

Surely CW would have to request change of counsel first?! Anyone know the answer?
I would think so too, and not until the new counsel is formally hired would they be privy to the evidence or what ever the defense have. I don’t know if the judge would grant a continuance if a new attorney was brought on board.

As the sessions with his parents were likely video recorded, I would think that even if CW is ready to tell his parents that he was lying to them before and telling the truth now that his attorneys would have to advise him not to admit to anything in those recorded conversations prior to the plea hearing or the actual sentencing.

But do you think it's possible that CW will do a Christian Longo and admit the truth after sentencing? I don't know if his parents will believe it even if it comes from his mouth, but maybe a combination of the evidence from the DA that gets released after sentencing plus hearing it straight from CW would help?

I'm more concerned that his mother professing her disbelief will encourage CW to go back to lying, in part because he doesn't really want to admit to what he's done and in part to save his mom from knowing the truth about him.
If CW tells his parents he did it, they’ll have to believe it, but it looks like they’re going to still blame Shanann for making him do it. I’d love to hear the story behind why they didn’t attend CW & SW’s wedding.

Why did CW take the plea deal? I have a couple of thoughts but am curious what others think.

1) Overwhelming evidence of guilt
2) To avoid having ALL of his dirty laundry laid out for the rest of the world.
3) To avoid having ALL of his dirty laundry laid out for his mother, as he sat there and listened.
4) Possibly - to stick it to his mother. I suspect there is a LOT of complication to unpack in their relationship, and that he let Shanann take the heat for being the one who came between them, when the reality of it was that HE wanted to get away from Dearest mother. I know this one sounds like a stretch, but I do think there could have been an aspect of 'you don't control me' that came into play here.

To be honest, I now think that bulletproof vest was the DA's reasonable idea. No way would he have risked anything happening to CW until the confession was read in full.

Technically, the sentencing is the lesser of the two, but I don't think the DA will risk anything spoiling his moment of triumph. (He indeed performed a marvelous job). So, I think CW will get a bulletproof vest as well.

As to the rest, no, but I expect the court building to be thoroughly vetted. Because this case will probably be included in law textbooks as the example of "clean, neat and smart" police and DA's job.

The DA was asked about the vest in his presser after the plea. He stated it was the sheriffs decision about the security afforded CW, but that he appreciated the sheriffs attention to detail (paraphrased by me). I'm sure he will be wearing one on Monday as well.

**snipped for focus**

I can say with authority that when it comes to funerals and memorials, there are zero problems with people from other denominations attending a Catholic memorial. Memorials and funerals in all the major denominations are open to friends and families of the loved ones, regardless of the religious affiliations (or lack thereof) of said friends and family members. You don't have to be Catholic to walk through the doors or even to sit through a service.

I also have a MA in World Religion and I can't think of a single Protestant denomination, whether mainline or evangelical, that has a doctrine that disallows members of any religious belief system from attending a memorial service-or from attending ANY service as a guest.

My guess is that they refused to attend their grandchildren's memorial service for the same reason they refused to attend their son's wedding: their hatred of SW overrode everything else.

I'm Catholic, so I certainly know that Mass is open to everyone - which is not remotely what I said. I also know that it isn't any protestant doctrine to avoid a Catholic funeral. That does not preclude individual protestants/individual congregations from not wanting to be in a Catholic church. There are many protestants who are vitriolic against the Catholic church - and it's possible that differences in religions could have contributed to the poor relationship between SW and her in-laws. This is now getting off topic for the post. It was speculation - just like many comments here. MOO, of course.

1) Overwhelming evidence of guilt
2) To avoid having ALL of his dirty laundry laid out for the rest of the world.
3) To avoid having ALL of his dirty laundry laid out for his mother, as he sat there and listened.
4) Possibly - to stick it to his mother. I suspect there is a LOT of complication to unpack in their relationship, and that he let Shanann take the heat for being the one who came between them, when the reality of it was that HE wanted to get away from Dearest mother. I know this one sounds like a stretch, but I do think there could have been an aspect of 'you don't control me' that came into play here.

I tend to agree here. The parents' interviews have added a layer IMO

**snipped for focus**

I can say with authority that when it comes to funerals and memorials, there are zero problems with people from other denominations attending a Catholic memorial. Memorials and funerals in all the major denominations are open to friends and families of the loved ones, regardless of the religious affiliations (or lack thereof) of said friends and family members. You don't have to be Catholic to walk through the doors or even to sit through a service.

I also have a MA in World Religion and I can't think of a single Protestant denomination, whether mainline or evangelical, that has a doctrine that disallows members of any religious belief system from attending a memorial service-or from attending ANY service as a guest.

My guess is that they refused to attend their grandchildren's memorial service for the same reason they refused to attend their son's wedding: their hatred of SW overrode everything else.
Very possible.

If CW tells his parents he did it, they’ll have to believe it, but it looks like they’re going to still blame Shanann for making him do it. I’d love to hear the story behind why they didn’t attend CW & SW’s wedding.
The best friend of sister said on the podcast that they never felt like they were wanted there. That is ludicrous to me. It wasn’t the mom or sisters day and of course they would be wanted, but why do they need to be told they are wanted. Even if you hate the wife, you suck it up and you go to support your son.

I have thought the same thing. I don't think they ever thought, him killing them was a possibility. I think in his mind he may have thought they hated her so much, that they would accept it.
After reading about all of the drama and hatred SW has had to live with, it’s a miracle she remained so positive and loving and happy.

I think she knows he did it, but is hoping for an “OJ/Casey Anthony” result.
Agreed. She said there is no difference between a death sentence and life in prison. It seems like her thinking is just go for it - fight, take your chances, nothing to lose. Maybe you'll get lucky with a juror or two. I just can't believe she is going on tv and actually saying this out loud to the public instead of pretending to mourn the family her son killed!

The best friend of sister said on the podcast that they never felt like they were wanted there. That is ludicrous to me. It wasn’t the mom or sisters day and of course they would be wanted, but why do they need to be told they are wanted. Even if you hate the wife, you suck it up and you go to support your son.

It was probably the nicest thing they did for SW, though. Can you imagine having to spend your wedding day with people who hate you? I'm sure it was hurtful to CW and SW at the time, but the day itself was probably more pleasant for their absence.

These recent interviews from the Watts family leave me in gasping.
I’m in a nearby city close to where CW attended high school and just a little further where the family of Shanann live.
I felt, although cowardly CW was quietly going into the night per say with pleading guilty to all counts. And I was sure that his family would also go quietly. Boy was I naive and so wrong.
I’m gracious to learn so much from this site about so many different types of crimes and how the families are embedded in such.
Just outraged.
I’m hoping to see more purple ribbons as I see so many on camera in Colorado.

It was probably the nicest thing they did for SW, though. Can you imagine having to spend your wedding day with people who hate you? I'm sure it was hurtful to CW and SW at the time, but the day itself was probably more pleasant for their absence.
Exactly. They should exercise that same restraint and no show to the sentencing MOO

CW mom says “he will die in prison and no telling what they will do to him in there”. Well yes he murdered a pregnant woman. What do you think should happen to him? Bring him back home to NC for an ice cream drumstick? I honestly think she basically wants to say “Well yes he killed a woman but it was only Shanann so that shouldn’t count”.

And yes I know he killed his babies. I was just saying from Moms point of view he only killed SW.
Even how she described Bella...”just like Chris” and then Cece...”she was just a ball of fire”, a negative...just like SW, no doubt.

That woman would drive me nuts if she was my mother in law. Whenever she came to visit, I’d be spending a lot of time in the bath tub with the door locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mommysbabies24