Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anyone related to this case on the docket for today.
I don't either. I see a restraining order hearing for next week, and an appearance of counsel in the trespassing case.

Nothing listed for today.

Attachments

• 45E8A98B-11EC-4F28-A2D9-C144B8ED2B9A.jpeg
    45E8A98B-11EC-4F28-A2D9-C144B8ED2B9A.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 15
88l.
Anyone know if this is the link for today's hearing? I'm struggling to find it. (I think).

Colorado Judicial Branch

I believe that SR of Crime Talk misspoke when he recently mentioned SD would be at a hearing "this Thursday."

MOO

Do angels shake their heads?
SM must forgive herself for being fooled by BM.
She had no idea how much evil he encapsulated.

RIP, dear SM.
IMHO

Or maybe TN lawyered up early on and refused to say anything to LE.

I don't think any of BM's family really believes he is innocent.

They just value his life more than Suzanne's. And yes, I would include the oldest daughter in that. The youngest daughter is the only one who may turn on BM at some point IMO.
JMO

Well said! I think you're right on point there.

And you're probably right about TN lawyering up right away.

Which threat to MG?
Morgan accused Both George and Trevor of holding her money early on.

(Morgan Gentile Interview - May 15th) page 50 AA
"On May 15, 2020, CBI Agents Cahill and Koback contacted Morgan at her residence in Salida. Morgan spoke about conversations that George Davis had with her in which George might be attempting to influence her future testimony."

Early on Morgan claimed to Lauren, both Trevor and George told her she didn't have to give her phone to the police. And they didn't want her pay to look like "Hush money" (words to that effect)

I would imagine Police also questioned GD on that aspect....and concluded it wasn't relevant. I have never been sure from the beginning, I thought Morgan may have misconstrued the conversation.

I can see Barry's lawyers making the argument that the ankle bracelet is in fact working as it needs to be. That is, if Barry leaves the county, then the ankle bracelet will be in a serviceable area and will detect that he is not where he is supposed to be....so, there is nothing to see here. That is the angle I would expect them to use. Just like "We're done" ...drinking coffee.

It's not the whole county, though. He's back in Maysville where there isn't much reception. Poncha Springs, Salida, and every other populated area of Chaffee county has pretty decent reception. In theory and on paper, because of the number of towers around the PP valley the reception should be pretty good, but the signal doesn't get down there.

He purposefully went where he wasn't supposed to be and someone who was supposed to check that couldn't be a55ed to do their job.

Attached screencaps of major cell providers of the Maysville valley Tried to ensure CR 255 was a visible landmark. Larger area map shows Verizon (Barry's carrier and the one most likely to record telemetrics.) in Salida and Poncha Springs where you can see the coverage on Verizon is pretty good. Cellular Tower and Signal Map

ScreenHunter 1050.png ScreenHunter 1051.png ScreenHunter 1052.png ScreenHunter 1053.png

Is anyone else kinda surprised that they didn't anticipate a problem with the ankle monitor right from the start? Wasn't it mentioned like 8,000 times during the investigation that there was a huge problem with cell phone reception in the area? So they outfit BM with an ankle monitor that has a gps system that relies on cell service? Mkay.

RBBM

Yes.

JMVHO.

It's not the whole county, though. He's back in Maysville where there isn't much reception. Poncha Springs, Salida, and every other populated area of Chaffee county has pretty decent reception. In theory and on paper, because of the number of towers around the PP valley the reception should be pretty good, but the signal doesn't get down there.

He purposefully went where he wasn't supposed to be and someone who was supposed to check that couldn't be a55ed to do their job.

Attached screencaps of major cell providers of the Maysville valley Tried to ensure CR 255 was a visible landmark. Larger area map shows Verizon (Barry's carrier and the one most likely to record telemetrics.) in Salida and Poncha Springs where you can see the coverage on Verizon is pretty good. Cellular Tower and Signal Map
Of course he purposefully went there -- it was free I assume. And yes if you recall the judge made a comment about the monitor allowing them to ascertain that he was still in Chaffee County. I think the whole "gps" functionality was not understood by the court...yes I get it. Any other place at that momoent in time he'd most likely sign a lease or arrange a short term rental. At that point in time if it didn't violate any conditions, he was free to take that offer of a free place to stay. Where he "is" is only a sticking point because the GPS monitor isn't fully functional. And frankly I think it has nothing legally to do with the witnesses that live in that "sub-division"...more likely the prosecution was again just stacking their grievances which they are totally allowed to do. But the judge is going to look at the existing conditions of bond and mitigate the situation in some way. The situation in Chafee is already requiring the services of two other offices so frankly I would not be gobsmacked if he was ultimately sent to Gunnison. Seems like the easiest decision the judge could make to answer the GPS question AND give a nod to the prosecution issue of the witnesses and satisfy defense. He'd have to stay in the town of Gunnison or they will have the same issues of cell phone dead zones heading north, south, west and east of Gunnison. I'm rather fond of Sunny Gunni...I'd pick it over Salida :) and I do like Salida. He's further from his lawyers...its' quite the trek over the pass to get to Denver, though and sometimes quite an awful drive in the winter.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

And being as he's a self-proclaimed tightwad, I'm sure he was subscribed to an auto-ship program because that's cheaper so he would have changed the address long ago or it would have kept going to the PP address. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
And being as he's a self-proclaimed tightwad, I'm sure he was subscribed to an auto-ship program because that's cheaper so he would have changed the address long ago or it would have kept going to the PP address. IMO
Now that I’ve chewed on this for a while, I’m going with FedEx making the mistake. 19057 vs 19087 would be an honest mistake, especially if lots of deliveries were made to the Morphew house in the past. Maybe the FedEx driver didn’t know Barry had moved to another PP residence. They may not be following the story at all.

Go----Me. 1099?
I agree there is no tax deduction for a G** donation. However I do wonder if G** should have issued a 1099 to GD as income. Can any CPA's weigh in on this JMO
@Puzzles8
Not a CPA, but using info from G----M website.*
{ETA: Welcoming comment/correction esp'ly from CPA or others in the field.}
Briefly.
G----M does not issue 1099's for personal fundraisers, so nope. Why not? See below. If any person/entity is obligated to issue 1099 to a person whom the G----M organizer paid $4000 to search for SM, fwiw, imo, it's the organizer.**

Not so briefly.
Not speaking specifically to any payment BM made to GD.**
Per G----M's ToS, organizers represent they are not providing any goods or services for the donations, so G----M organizers are receiving personal gift $ which is not taxable income & not reportable on their U.S. federal returns (w some relatively rare exceptions).
Why? In electronically transmitting donation $ to organizer, G----M does not know how organizer will use the $, who the organizer will pay.
If an organizer uses some or all G---M $ to pay someone for their services, and if fed law or IRS regs require a 1099 (or W-2, etc.) to be issued, the obligation for issuing the form would fall not on G----M, but on the organizer or another participant.

Also not briefly, but straight from horse's mouth:
* "Taxes for Organizers
September 29, 2021. Updated
Donations made to personal fundraisers are generally considered to be "personal gifts" which, for the most part, are not taxed as income in the United States. Additionally, these donations are not tax deductible for donors.
"However, there may be particular case-specific instances where the income is in fact taxable for organizers. For example, if the donations are considered income to the recipient.
"The best way to ensure that you are in compliance with the tax laws is to maintain adequate records of donations received and consult with a tax professional. As part of ’s Terms and Conditions, you have represented that you are not providing any goods or services in exchange for the donation of funds. As a result, will not provide you with any tax documentation for money raised on your fundraiser, nor will report the funds you collected as earned income.

"For information about tax deductibility for charity fundraisers, please click here." bbm
https://support.********.com/hc/en-us/articles/204295498-Taxes-for-Organizers

** W. ppl involved in SM fundraisers playing musical chairs for roles of organizer, beneficiary, & team members, do we know as a fact who got what $ when and for what and spent it on what? IDK. Do we accept BM's stmt at face value ---I gave GD ~ $ 4000 to search for SM?

Last edited:
Go----Me. 1099?
@Puzzles8
Not a CPA, but using info from *** website.*

Briefly.
*** does not issue 1099's for personal fundraisers, so nope. Why not? See below. If any person/entity is obligated to issue 1099 to a person whom the *** organizer paid $4000 to search for SM, fwiw, imo, it's the organizer.**

Not so briefly.
Not speaking specifically to any payment BM made to GD.**
Per ***'s ToS, organizers represent they are not providing any goods or services for the donations, so *** organizers are receiving personal gift $ which is not taxable income & not reportable on their U.S. federal returns (w some relatively rare exceptions).
Why? In electronically transmitting donation $ to organizer, *** does not know how organizer will use the $, who the organizer will pay.
If an organizer uses some or all *** $ to pay someone for their services, and if fed law or IRS regs require a 1099 (or W-2, etc.) to be issued, the obligation for issuing the form would fall not on ***, but on the organizer or another participant.

Also not briefly, but straight from horse's mouth:
* "Taxes for Organizers
September 29, 2021. Updated
Donations made to personal ******** fundraisers are generally considered to be "personal gifts" which, for the most part, are not taxed as income in the United States. Additionally, these donations are not tax deductible for donors.
"However, there may be particular case-specific instances where the income is in fact taxable for organizers. For example, if the donations are considered income to the recipient.
"The best way to ensure that you are in compliance with the tax laws is to maintain adequate records of donations received and consult with a tax professional. As part of ********’s Terms and Conditions, you have represented that you are not providing any goods or services in exchange for the donation of funds. As a result, ******** will not provide you with any tax documentation for money raised on your fundraiser, nor will ******** report the funds you collected as earned income.

"For information about tax deductibility for charity fundraisers, please click here." bbm
https://support.********.com/hc/en-us/articles/204295498-Taxes-for-Organizers

** W. ppl involved in SM fundraisers playing musical chairs for roles of organizer, beneficiary, & team members, do we know as a fact who got what $ when and for what and spent it on what? IDK. Do we accept BM's stmt at face value ---I gave GD ~ $ 4000 to search for SM?
No BM is not responsible in my opinion. If he was even the benefactor it was a nano second. For the greatest period of time I believe the benefactor was MM1. Honestly, in my opinion, there is no connection to the case...I'm not surprised some member of LE asked Barry about it but they asked him many, many things that do not have direct testimonial importance. But agree with your response regarding the funds and how they are treated for tax purposes. I've always cautioned people that these type of "donations" are "gifts" that are freely given for the benefactor to use. Per TOS, people can ask for a refund and per TOS and if they suspect the funds were not used for the support of the family and visitors (which if I recall was the language) it could be reported for fraud....but the usage language from the start was broad and could cover any expenses incurred by friends and family related to her missing status. If Barry's friend took time off of work to help search, then if he received monies I would suspect that would not be considered fraudulent. So yes I believe Barry's statement that his friend received $4000 of the money. I am assuming his mom's plane tickets out and back were covered as well as anyone else that came during the time period the fund was open. I am still curious if any public folk actually asked for a refund. I suspect this will not come up during the trial since Barry was not in charge of the fund nor was he the recipient of the funds technically. Now it's his daughter so we can speculate whatever we want...but legally regarding the case...hmmm...I'm doubtful it will come up.

The protection orders generally have a distance component to them. Frankly, "contact" in a small town environment is difficult - he could run into locals on the witness list at the grocery store, gas station, restaurant.... some I'm unlittle unclear where the focus is missing.

The die was cast in my opinion when the judge said "no" to Gunnison. I don't think this is a situation that requires mass hysteria...hysteria is probably too big of a word but I just can't come up with a better one...but in general it's not an urgent need. The GPS is working...just not at the home the way it needs to. I'm sure it's working when Barry drives out of the area so they will know when he isn't home. That seems pretty straightforward. And frankly if Barry wanted to bolt to Mexico he could just cut the darn thing off...it's like an oversized FitBit looking gadget. Frankly if I were a betting person I would say the odds are greater of him harming himself before he would harm someone else.
Found this article.....thought it might be applicable to the discussion (hope it works):

www.psychiatria-danubina.com/UserDocImages/pdf/dnb_vol28_no3/dnb_vol28_no3_307.pdf

We are talking about MG saying that TN and GD didn't want to pay her, her salary from Barry, bc it would look like "hush money." I'll try to locate the link when I have a bit more time.

Anybody got the deets on Sho-sho's hearing? Is it on WebEx? Time?

ETA: Link: ‘I’m not the other woman’: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

"Gentile said she and Puckett packed up and drove back to Salida, where the investigation into Suzanne’s disappearance was well underway. She said, back in town, she was approached by two men, both linked to Barry, who told her, “We would give you your paycheck, but we don’t want it to look like hush-hush money. You have rights, but you don’t have to give CBI your phone.”

Yes, that doesn't equal a threat, but some sort of suggested intimidation (although she was paid, according to her). Nor do we know which person said it, Barry's nephew or the neighbor buddy GD who curiously enough, benefitted financially from the crowd sourced fund, to the tune of 4 grand, according to Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hskrgrl1955