Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not followed that many trials. This just seems weird to me. I have never heard of witnesses bringing their lawyers with them when they testify at a trial, and those lawyers having standing to intervene on their behalf during testimony. Shoshona is not on trial in this case, she is just a witness. Has this happened in other trials?

I have not followed that many trials. This just seems weird to me. I have never heard of witnesses bringing their lawyers with them when they testify at a trial, and those lawyers having standing to intervene on their behalf during testimony. Shoshona is not on trial in this case, she is just a witness. Has this happened in other trials?
The problem here is that we don't know why she's a witness. She could be suspected by investigators as an accessory after the fact or worse, and there's simply insufficient evidence to convict her and therefore she's not been charged in this matter. From the motion filed by the defense, a judge signed significant search warrants for both SD's communications and her property, and executing those warrants required probable cause. MMO.

I'd forgotten about this until accessing the link for the 'Hobbs Scholarship.' I think it's more likely that BM graduated not from Perdue University (i.e., academic) but from "Perdue Extension" which is located in and serves 92 Indiana counties including Hamilton County where both SM/BM hailed from. Seems to be that the extension school offers programs best aligned with BM's skillset.

About Us

I'm not sure how I feel about a potential Judge Murphy recusal and replacement. I recall when we were screaming for the release of the AA and Murphy wouldn't budge...I thought he was biased toward the defense. Still kinda felt that way at the beginning of the PH. A different judge...maybe a good thing? Thoughts?

I thought initially that the prosecution might relieve the Judge Murphy of the conflict by dismissing the trespass case against SD, and this was why the judge gave them a few days to confer with the victim in the trespass case.

But when he responded to the information that SD would likely be called as a witness in the Morphew case with, "That's all I need to know," it seemed likely that he feels he has no choice but to recuse himself from all cases where McDermott, Stuart, and Ward LLP represents a party or a witness.

So, the only way the prosecutor can relieve the judge of the conflict is to affirm that SD will not be called as a witness in the BM case. Then, the defense could insist they want to call her and the issue remains.

The trouble is that the 11th Judicial District has no other judge who is really qualified to preside over a murder trial.

Could Murphy, as Chief Judge, specially appoint a retired judge from another district, who has presided over many murder trials and could handle the case? Be careful what you wish for, BM...

Yeah, he's slow and methodical, but I have never understood all the accusations that he's biased for the defense. His rulings have been quite even-handed IMO. And filing this motion makes it pretty clear that the defense doesn't think he favors them.

I do wonder about the strategy behind it from the defense's side though. Maybe they're just doing it because it will create more delay and they're willing to take their chances with whoever the new judge is (if there is one). But the number of judges in Chaffee County is limited enough that they may also be making an informed gamble that the replacement will be more favorable to them, or at least less experienced and easier to intimidate.

I smell maneuvering.

Next up IMO, change of venue.

Next next up, more freedom for the defendant. Change of domicile. Aligned with new venue.

Coupled with endless delay.

People get tired, journalists move on....

Meanwhile, keep an eye out for your local flea markets. Old guy clad in his beloved wife beater and noticeable long pants, set up shop, selling antlers, maybe even some fresh ones, ill got.

Life goes on.

Well, not Suzanne's.

Unfortunate truth for some, but the rest of us, we won't forget.

We won't let her story fade.

But we can hope his teeth do.

JMO

Last edited:
So what’s this? The judge may have to recuse himself because of some affiliation with SD’s attorney? I have to wonder if SD inserting herself with the Puma delivery package and her other charges isn’t some scheme that Barry cooked up to delay his trial. I think he once referred to her as his “friend” and a godsend (or something). More divine intervention, eh Barry?

I smell maneuvering.

Next up IMO, change of venue.

Next next up, more freedom for the defendant. Change of domicile. Aligned with new venue.

Coupled with endless delay.

People get tired, journalists move on....

Meanwhile, keep an eye out for your local flea markets. Old guy clad in his beloved wife beater and noticeable long pants, set up shop, selling antlers, maybe even some fresh ones, ill got.

Life goes on.

Well, not Suzanne's.

Unfortunate truth for some, but the rest of us, we won't forget.

We won't let her story fade.

But we can hope his teeth do.

JMO
1000 likes! @Megnut great post and wonderful way with words, as usual. Yes, I’ve been thinking for awhile about when we’d see defense motion for change of venue. Next up on the docket? lol.
Stay tuned….

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Wait a damn minute!
Dru Nielsen husband works for the law firm that represents Shoshana??

Dru Nielsen ('97) and Tom Ward ('97)
Dru Nielsen and Tom Ward share a passion for advocacy and justice, a passion that has led to their success as criminal defense attorneys in the greater Denver area. Nielsen is co-founder and a partner at Eytan Nielsen, LLC, and Ward is a partner at McDermott, Stuart & Ward LLP. They met in their third year at the University of Colorado Law School and married in 2001.

Page 6 of the Motion

“ In one discovery dump alone, the prosecution listed at least 362 rows of documents identifying items related to Ms. Darke.”

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Motion to Disqulaify.pdf

From your link - It appears as though a page is missing between the end of page 3 and the beginning of page 4. Page 4 begins mid-sentence:

"respect to this case and decisions that may arise with respect to Shoshona Darke. This relationship extends to other members of the families of both Sean McDermott and this Court."

Weird. Even weirder from page 4:

"The prosecution has made Ms. Darke a central figure in Mr. Morphew’s case, including but not limited to:
• In February 2021, this Court also signed a pen register trap and trace on Ms. Darke’s phone, and issued search warrants for Ms. Darke’s WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Apple ID, ATT records and Microsoft accounts in. See 21SW11-17 filed with this Court"

Sure sounds to me like the prosecution thinks she may be more involved than has been previously let on.

jmo

Page 6 of the Motion

“ In one discovery dump alone, the prosecution listed at least 362 rows of documents identifying items related to Ms. Darke.”

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Motion to Disqulaify.pdf

I couldn't help but to notice notice to exercise the 5th amendment.

So Barry mostly can't recall, and she's going to refuse to answer.

Birds of a feather...

Do we need to add a pair of haggard lovebirds to the circus/zoo?

JMO

From your link - It appears as though a page is missing between the end of page 3 and the beginning of page 4. Page 4 begins mid-sentence:

"respect to this case and decisions that may arise with respect to Shoshona Darke. This relationship extends to other members of the families of both Sean McDermott and this Court."

"The prosecution has made Ms. Darke a central figure in Mr. Morphew’s case, including but not limited to:
• In February 2021, this Court also signed a pen register trap and trace on Ms. Darke’s phone, and issued search warrants for Ms. Darke’s WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Apple ID, ATT records and Microsoft accounts in. See 21SW11-17 filed with this Court"

Sure sounds to me like the prosecution thinks she may be more involved than has been previously let on.

jmo
I just want to know what they found when they searched her home on May 24. I'd also love to know the justification for that search.

I imagine Barry is paying for her attorneys, and that she is up to her eyeballs here.

We do know at the time of the AA's writing, the prosecution could not prove that an affair preceded Suzanne's death. There's a chance that has changed, as reading between the lines, Shoshona seems to be a much more important figure than many of us previously believed.

If she's not complicit in a murder conspiracy (I still think this is unlikely), then I think she's an accessory after the fact.

Hell, maybe she's the missing link in regards to body disposal or something. Regardless, I'm absolutely convinced she knows things, damning things.

One positive here in regards to a trial delay, is that it gives their relationship more time to fall apart.

Barry better not let that happen.

jmo
CBI Agents confirmed that SD and BM spent Valentines Day weekend 2021 together at the Antlers Hilton in Colorado Springs as seen on surveillance film checking in February 12 and checking out February 14.

Attachments

• EE8F02A3-6D0D-44A5-8CE8-36394F9A8A57.jpeg
    EE8F02A3-6D0D-44A5-8CE8-36394F9A8A57.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 24
So interesting that his lawyers filed a motion at one time stating BM wasn’t dating her, never even slept at her house. It makes you wonder what was uncovered in those search warrants. o_Oo_O I am wondering what evidence they had to even get the warrant for her phone or place to begin with, this case just gets more wild by the minute.

CBI Agents confirmed that SD and BM spent Valentines Day weekend 2021 together at the Antlers Hilton in Colorado Springs as seen on surveillance film checking in February 12 and checking out February 14.
Thanks for the photos.
It seemed like from the day (or maybe a week at the most ?) Suzanne 'vanished', B.M. carried on as though he knew she wouldn't return ?
He could do what he wanted including flaunting his girlfriend(s), spending Suzanne's money, and selling her properties.
This recklessness will be important to the prosecution; imo.
Also imo they are thoroughly preparing for this trial and I'm trying not to worry about the current freedoms Barry is enjoying ; and maybe he's even relishing the media attention such as L.S.'s and other reporters videoing him ?
Ugh.
MOO.

Wait a damn minute!
Dru Nielsen husband works for the law firm that represents Shoshana??

Dru Nielsen ('97) and Tom Ward ('97)
Dru Nielsen and Tom Ward share a passion for advocacy and justice, a passion that has led to their success as criminal defense attorneys in the greater Denver area. Nielsen is co-founder and a partner at Eytan Nielsen, LLC, and Ward is a partner at McDermott, Stuart & Ward LLP. They met in their third year at the University of Colorado Law School and married in 2001.
Great read and kudos @Cindizzi for the find!

I just want to know what they found when they searched her home on May 24. I'd also love to know the justification for that search.

I imagine Barry is paying for her attorneys, and that she is up to her eyeballs here.

We do know at the time of the AA's writing, the prosecution could not prove that an affair preceded Suzanne's death. There's a chance that has changed, as reading between the lines, Shoshona seems to be a much more important figure than many of us previously believed.

If she's not complicit in a murder conspiracy (I still think this is unlikely), then I think she's an accessory after the fact.

Hell, maybe she's the missing link in regards to body disposal or something. Regardless, I'm absolutely convinced she knows things, damning things.

One positive here in regards to a trial delay, is that it gives their relationship more time to fall apart.

Barry better not let that happen.
ITA MG! As to the bolded, I know what you mean as far as Barry better not let that happen, but I’m hoping that’s exactly what does happen. Sooner than later.
Spill SD, spill…..

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online