Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the only thing on 1/11/22 now - just the voter fraud case. The next hearing for murder case is on 1/24/22 - Motions hearing.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
1/11/22
4:30 PM 1Hr VIRTUAL MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search
Docket has been updated. Murder and voter fraud cases have a hearing scheduled for the 12th, at 1pm local.
6F4B1994-C0AC-4278-BDD8-7B93D0C4D2C3.jpeg

Docket has been updated. Murder and voter fraud cases have a hearing scheduled for the 12th, at 1pm local.
View attachment 329067

Fantasy I know but wouldn't it be nice if New Judge, upon reviewing the case, rescinded bail and had BM taken into custody?

In my head it sounds like this:
Your honor, why are you sending him back to jail?

I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't.

It just doesn't sit right with me that a man can buy his way out of jail.

JMO

Fantasy I know but wouldn't it be nice if New Judge, upon reviewing the case, rescinded bail and had BM taken into custody?

In my head it sounds like this:
Your honor, why are you sending him back to jail?

I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't.

It just doesn't sit right with me that a man can buy his way out of jail.

JMO
He didn’t buy his way out I am not sure where that notion comes from…prosecution failed to meet the burden required to trigger a no bail finding. I think if they would have held back on triggering the arrest it would maybe have given them more time to get their case in order but it is what it is and they goofed up and folded before their alloted 50 percent of the time was up. I have to assume they have spent the past couple months preparing for trial.

Judge Murphy found a middle dollar amount, far from the middle, between $50,000 and $3,000,000 for bail.

And Barry posted that amount, IMO buying his way out of jail.

I won't get started on whose money he may have used.

JMO

He didn’t buy his way out I am not sure where that notion comes from…prosecution failed to meet the burden required to trigger a no bail finding. I think if they would have held back on triggering the arrest it would maybe have given them more time to get their case in order but it is what it is and they goofed up and folded before their alloted 50 percent of the time was up. I have to assume they have spent the past couple months preparing for trial.
^^bbm

I believe the notion comes from the fact given the published demographics of Salida/Maysville area, I think it's fair to say that 99% of the residents found in BM's position would NOT be able to satisfy the terms of his bail release or $500,000 cash-only bond. Another resident would be sitting in jail waiting for trial. It's really that simple -- and nothing to do with the judicial decision.

Judge Murphy found a middle dollar amount, far from the middle, between $50,000 and $3,000,000 for bail.

And Barry posted that amount, IMO buying his way out of jail.

I won't get started on whose money he may have used.

JMO
I agree it is unsettling at best. I’ve asked before and don’t recall that it was answered but is it a possibility that the new Judge could rescind his bond? Two different judges may have two different opinions. IMO

I agree it is unsettling at best. I’ve asked before and don’t recall that it was answered but is it a possibility that the new Judge could rescind his bond? Two different judges may have two different opinions. IMO
IANAL but I don't think the newly appointed Judge could rescind his bond unless he broke the terms of it. Unfortunately :(

Hold back?

Grusing finished his interviews with Barry, the FBI audited the investigation, their findings were presented to the DA, and charges were filed.

The issue came down to if the judge believed Barry was likely to be convicted of first degree murder or not. He commented something to the effect of "the jury could go either way."

Evidence doesn't magically appear; no amount of additional preparation or presentation (during the prelim) was going to prove the deliberation aspect of the first degree murder charge.

They had what they had, and you're either able to put the pieces together or you aren't. The judge sure could, but he had to consider the reasoning ability of a jury.

This case wasn't going to get any stronger with time, save Suzanne's body being found.

Grusing felt it was ready, the FBI felt it was ready, and Stanley felt it was ready.

I think most people agree.

Jeff Liebler doesn't believe Barry killed her.

That's not what I recall from the prelim, but it doesn't matter for two reasons:

1. It's absolutely in his interest to say that, as it lets him off the hook for not only not coming forward, but for perhaps being a trigger for Suzanne's murder.

2. We have the arrest affidavit and preliminary hearing testimony; who cares what one person thinks?

That's not what I recall from the prelim, but it doesn't matter for two reasons:

1. It's absolutely in his interest to say that, as it lets him off the hook for not only not coming forward, but for perhaps being a trigger for Suzanne's murder.

2. We have the arrest affidavit and preliminary hearing testimony; who cares what one person thinks?
He seemed very sincere when he said it. Not phony at all. He knows him from way back.

If they'd waited, Barry would've said adios and would now be getting his tan on in the sands of Mexico. IMO.
The bail could've been much more, the exact maximum escapes me, and he wouldn't have been able to use his JOINT marital assets to be cuddling with his girlfriend in front of a warm fire.
The defense ate into the prosecution's 50% big time and, imo, that was the plan. I also assume they're spending their time preparing for trial. Who knows, maybe a viable tip of where Suzanne can be found will yet make it's way to LE.
Hope springs eternal. :)

Last edited:
I have to say that I think JL mustn’t be very smart if Barry didn’t come to mind when his lover went missing. Suzanne was extremely careful with that relationship and not being found out. Why? To not hurt Barry’s feelings? I’m sure JL was grilled pretty hard, maybe somebody mentioned charges because he didn’t come forward. I have an opinion of JL and let’s just say I don’t put much stock into him saying he didn’t suspect Barry right off the bat.

Barry was able to afford bail because he liquidated his wife’s assets after he murdered her.

I have to say that I think JL mustn’t be very smart if Barry didn’t come to mind when his lover went missing. Suzanne was extremely careful with that relationship and not being found out. Why? To not hurt Barry’s feelings? I’m sure JL was grilled pretty hard, maybe somebody mentioned charges because he didn’t come forward. I have an opinion of JL and let’s just say I don’t put much stock into him saying he didn’t suspect Barry right off the bat.

Barry was able to afford bail because he liquidated his wife’s assets after he murdered her.
They paid 1.5 mil for the house. Two of Suzanne’s inheritances contributed $500,000 the rest had to have come from Barry’s businesses and whatever they got as the down on the land contract for their Indiana home. We have no idea what else they had in savings or investments. I think we can’t say as fact that Barry’s lawyers are being paid with Suzanne’s money. For all we know Barry could have moved money to his mom or daughters or it is separated or it is commingled. I don’t think that is known.

I don’t know how JL will come across at trial. The fact that he never looked for Suzanne and didn’t call LE tells me he is a loser. Oh yes, and a coward. Likely more afraid of his wife than he is of BM or LE. If I am a juror, I will see Suzanne as a lonely woman controlled for years by a man who was cruel at best and a woman who sought out friendship/love in the arms of an old friend, at first believing his marital status didn’t matter. It shows desperation on her part. I never believed she wanted to really end up married to JL or BM. This doesn’t hurt her character in my eyes. I see her as very sad and someone who put her daughters first and stayed with BM for their sakes.
All that said, as a juror, I’m looking at all the circumstantial evidence and I am voting BM guilty of murder and asking the judge to sentence BM to life in prison.
How anyone can see this any other way is beyond my wildest imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416