Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he insist on the move though? Suzanne’s sister said she picked the house out and from all indications was not opposed to the move and fresh start. Trepidatious perhaps but that would be a normal reaction to a move to another state. We don’t know that it was all Barry’s idea or that Suzanne was not onboard.
Snipped for focus and JMO

IF Suzanne made the move because she was trying to keep her marriage together, she may have been reluctant to share anything negative about Barry at that time. After they moved, things kept going downhill. She finally reached her breaking point and started talking to her sister how she felt.

I experienced this with a relative of mine. She always seemed happy in her marriage and never complained about anything. When she finally decided she was leaving, the years of abuse all came pouring out. We were all shocked that she had never told any of us about it.

Well, let's see.

In and around 2018, would Suzanne put up a good front, to friends and family, to preserve the image of family? About just how enthusiastic she was about the move, the house, their former belongings barried in Indiana...

In and around 2018, since divorce was not an option (per Barry), would Suzanne accept a move, hopeful for a fresh start? Or at least resigned to it...

In that fresh start, do we suppose she envisioned Busy B joining the fire department, giving him even less time for family?

In that fresh start, did she envision a largely absent husband when it came to her cancer treatment? Was her husband on hand to go to her appointments, hold the fort down while she endured the sickness and fatigue treatment likely brought? Was he any help at all?

Was he as polite and reasonable with her inquiries about her inheritances as he was with Gene, over the money Gene loaned him? And by polite, I mean rude.

Did he consider Suzanne's inheritance to be a free loan he didn't have to repay? Based on her 50 Reasons, it sure looks like that wasn't Suzanne's understanding/expectation. Suzanne and Barry were married over 20 years, his business was their business. She contributed her own inheritances to their buying power (under what pressure?), and yet ATM Barry felt entitled to be in charge of the money, handing her $300 for groceries, like a benefactor of some sort. I wonder if he made sure she said thank you.

Oh, I get it. ALL marriages have financial arrangements. Some partners are more suited to or more interested in managing the money, and if that works for everybody, perfect. But we've been given a glimpse behind closed doors here; Suzanne wasn't happy. Lack of access, even to her own money, was an issue. How much money she could have, what she could wear -- lends to a pattern of controlling behavior.

I wonder if anybody is getting a feel for that level of control now.

Is he still borrowing money? Telling people he can make a million easy and will repay them?

I'll give him this. Controllers rarely think they're controlling.

Suzanne was so much more than her 50 Reasons but thank heavens they weren't destroyed. They give her voice.

Her husband didn't.

JMO

I think Suzanne was a “dutiful wife” for much of her marriage. Who knows what happened in Indiana that spurred the move-we certainly don’t. We do know that the Morphews had a child in college in Colorado, and one attending school in Indiana. Barry was the breadwinner and may have made decisions based on business income and potential, once again we do not know. Suzanne was undergoing cancer treatment at the time of their move, which also might be considered a red flag for many people. We sure know that Suzanne did not openly share some aspects of her life. Maybe she did not share why they really had to move. Maybe she did believe a fresh start could energize the marriage. Maybe she felt guilty because she had been given miracle children and a man who took care of her and married her, when she had cancer. She may have felt she owed Barry so much. She may have missed her daughter in Colorado. Nothing turned out as Suzanne had hoped or expected.

Combined with a history of elementary/middle school education and surviving cancer twice, I think she was going for a personal trainer/life coach type thing.
Would Barry have allowed her to practice with her license? She would have won new acquaintances, even friends of both genders - not at all in his sense, IMO.

^^bbm

Respectfully, while the words may be "crystal clear," the interpretation does not follow-- beginning with the notion that repeal of the death penalty somehow did away with capital offenses in Colorado! Second, the 2013 bail reform statute referenced was essentially written for non-capital offenses-- (non-excepted persons), very much mirroring federal bail reform.

Since 1876, The Colorado Constitution was very clear that capital offenses are the exception to the rule, and the statute continues to mirror the same.

And case law provides that challenging bail determined at the discretion of the court (such as capital offenses, as I've posted) will not be reversed on appeal.

When a judge rules within his or her discretion, an appeal of that ruling is governed by the “abuse of discretion standard” where that judge’s ruling which includes the setting of and conditions of bond will NOT BE REVERSED ON APPEAL UNLESS THERE IS AN ABUSE OF THAT DISCRETION.

The test on appeal of the Judge’s decision is not whether another Judge would have reached a different result but, rather, whether the trial court’s decision fell within a range of reasonable options.

In setting bail for BM, charged with a capital offense, the court clearly demonstrated the decision fell within a range of reasonable options. There's simply no basis here to even suggest the court would request $50M cash bail:

The prosecution asked for a $10 million bond. In response, the defense asked for "an amount that is reasonable" — a $50,000 cash bond.

Judge Murphy said $10 million was too high and $50,000 was too low. He set the bond for $500,000, cash only. Bond cannot be posted until noon on Monday, he said.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-judge-rules-barry-morphew-will-head-to-trial

MOO

C.R.S. 16-4-101

16-4-101. Bailable offenses - definitions.

(1) All persons shall be bailable by sufficient sureties except:
(a) For capital offenses when proof is evident or presumption is great; or

ANNOTATION

Law reviews.
For article, “The Use of ‘No Bond’ Holds in Colorado”, see 32 Colo. Law. 81 (Nov. 2003).

Annotator’s note.
Since § 16-4-101 is similar to § 16-4-101 as it existed prior to the 2013 repeal and reenactment of this part 1, relevant cases decided under former provisions similar to that section have been included in the annotations to this section.

[..]

Proviso refers to proof of guilt.

The requirement in the constitution that capital offenses are nonbailable when “the proof is evident or the presumption great” simply goes to the proof of guilt, not to the kind of proof needed for the imposition of the death penalty. Corbett v. Patterson, 272 F. Supp. 602 (D. Colo. 1967).

Offense does not cease to be capital where death penalty may not be imposed.

Although by statute the death penalty cannot be imposed on the basis of only circumstantial evidence, the petitioner does not cease to be charged with a capital offense and thus become entitled to bail as a matter of right where the prosecution probably did not have the direct evidence necessary to seek the death penalty. The offense with which he was charged was still a capital one, even if it should later develop that the type of evidence adduced did not support a verdict imposing the death penalty. Corbett v. Patterson, 272 F. Supp. 602 (D. Colo. 1967).

And denial of bail unaffected by constitutionality of death penalty.

The United States supreme court decision prohibiting imposition of death penalty in the circumstances then before it did not preclude denial of bail pursuant to state constitutional provision that bail may be denied where capital offense is charged when the proof is evident, or the presumption great, that defendant has committed the charged offense. People ex rel. Dunbar v. District Court, 179 Colo. 304, 500 P.2d 358 (1972).

[..]
In the final analysis, we agree, that in setting BM's bail, "...the court clearly demonstrated the decision fell within a range of reasonable options."

The rest is theory, and I am personally inclined toward your view as a sound public policy.

The following bolded contrast illustrates the difference in our analysis of the constitutional and statutory language:

@Seattle1:

C.R.S. 16-4-101 Bailable offenses - definitions.

(a) For capital offenses when proof is evident or presumption is great;

@CGray123:

C.R.S. 16-4-101 Bailable offenses - definitions.

(a) For capital offenses when proof is evident or presumption is great;

The statutory language here is the same as the Colorado Constitution's.

You evidently see the reference to capital offenses as removing First Degree Murder categorically from all statutory constraints on a judge's discretion in setting bail. I see the contingent PE/PG language as an integral component of the definition of the exemption. I cannot predict the judicial outcome: my point was that BM would have had a sound argument to pursue if the court had set cash bail in an amount that was clearly beyond his means, such as the $10 million the DA recommended.

As for the soundness of the potential argument that Colorado's repeal of capital punishment effectively nullified the bail eligibility exception in the Constitution, I would agree if you said that it would be highly speculative to predict success. I would also agree if you said this would be an undesirable outcome.

But neither the Colorado Constitution nor the Colorado Revised Statutes define "capital offenses", and any judicial interpretations that pre-date a major change like repeal of capital punishment would seem to be on shaky ground. The universal, common understanding of a capital offense is a crime that is punishable by state sanctioned killing. Since First Degree Murder is no longer punishable by death in Colorado, to me the argument seems viable that even those charged with First Degree Murder are eligible for bail.

Neither of us is alone in our perspective on this issue: the Legal Information Institute posts the following under their definition of "capital offense":

"Capital offense is an offense that is punishable by the death penalty. It is not necessary that the punishment imposed was the death penalty, but if the permissible punishment prescribed by the legislature for the offense is the death penalty, then the offense is considered a capital offense. These offenses are typically murder with special circumstances.

For example, Virginia considers “willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing” in the commission of a robbery or terrorism among many a capital offense. Florida, in addition to murder with special circumstances, provides the death penalty for capital drug trafficking.

Because 22 states have abolished the death penalty, two mutually exclusive theories have been developed on whether capital offenses exist in those states without the death penalty. One theory finds that the term capital offense relates solely to the penalty which may be imposed, and, therefore, states without the death penalty cannot have capital offenses. In contrast, some hold that the term relates more to the gravity of the crime rather than the penalty which may be imposed. Thus, murder with specially circumstances in states without the death penalty may still be considered a capital offense."

I suspect that someday, a rich defendant like BM will be denied bail in a state that has repealed the death penalty and will ask a state court to resolve this question. I hope that legislatures in those states will remove this possibility by passing a law specifically defining "capital offense" to include First Degree Murder.

Thank you for engaging on this topic. You always advance our understanding of the proceedings, and I respect very much your informed and astute comments here.

Last edited:
While SM was Biking....
....Suzanne went biking and could be alone with her thoughts. I'm glad for those rides where she could feel like herself again....
@marylamby sbm for focus Thanks for your post.
Yes, when pedalling around, SM may have been alone w her thoughts.

OTOH if she was biking in the right places (w cell coverage), sometimes SM may have been talking or texting w JL and/or others. my2ct.

While SM was Biking....
@marylamby sbm for focus Thanks for your post.
Yes, when pedalling around, SM may have been alone w her thoughts.

OTOH if she was biking in the right places (w cell coverage), sometimes SM may have been talking or texting w JL and/or others. my2ct.

I'm with @marylamby, the bike rides were Suzanne time.

She took up biking at JL and MH2's encouragement a few months before. About the same time she made up her mind she was going to leave. Out there in the mountains, surrounded by the majesty of the universe, it's easy to clear your mind of the bs. Suzanne, I think, made her decisions on those rides without any outside influence.

She was leaving, eff him, so to speak.

What did she tell him, when she went to Phönix for her new career aspiration? Did she tell him "I want a divorce, and I like to work in a new field, when I'm rid of you, and I have to get a license now"? Of course she didn't say something like that, but her wish for independence and divorce must have been recognized by BM much earlier than within the week before her murder. IMO

Last edited:
What did she tell him, when she went to Phönix for her new career aspiration? Did she tell him "I want a divorce, and I like to work in a new field, when I'm rid of you, and I have to get a license now"? Of course she didn't say something like that, but her wish for independence and divorce must have been recognized by BM much earlier than within the week before her murder. IMO

Remember, Suzanne was smarter than Barry. MM1 was in college and MM2 was about to graduate, many women who stopped working to raise babies reenter the workforce about that time. To go back into education after being away so long, she would have essentially had to go back to college and get a fresh bachelors in an education field. Barry would have balked at that. A fitness coach, he could "control" that. She could have told him she wanted to work with the ladies she did chemo with.

She'd managed him pretty efficiently right up until that last week.

Addition from the AA. I'm trying to pin down Suzanne's future plans. This is from JL but it was Grusing doing the interview so I think we can take what's in the AA from JL as what he believed to be true.

Libler thought that in February 2020, Suzanne was wanting to break out on her own but still wanted to

Page 15 of 129

wait until REDACTED graduated. Libler said Suzanne felt some shame that she had so much materially, and she spoke with Libler about life transformation. Barry held the huge houses and Range Rovers over Suzanne’s head. Barry told her things like, “I provide these things for you. You have the greatest life. You have everything. A million-dollar home, you have Range Rovers.” Libler said they never made concrete plans, but she told him several times when she does leave Barry, she would go without contacting Libler for a while. Suzanne said she was not doing this for Libler but for herself.

Suzanne’s talk of leaving Barry was like a “wave, with like a higher frequency of waves.” Libler said Suzanne had faith God would provide for her and she would figure it out. Libler did not know she had an inheritance until he read about it in the media.
BTW, Non-Intimidating AA version: Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew

Remember, Suzanne was smarter than Barry. MM1 was in college and MM2 was about to graduate, many women who stopped working to raise babies reenter the workforce about that time. To go back into education after being away so long, she would have essentially had to go back to college and get a fresh bachelors in an education field. Barry would have balked at that. A fitness coach, he could "control" that. She could have told him she wanted to work with the ladies she did chemo with.

She'd managed him pretty efficiently right up until that last week.

Addition from the AA. I'm trying to pin down Suzanne's future plans. This is from JL but it was Grusing doing the interview so I think we can take what's in the AA from JL as what he believed to be true.

Libler thought that in February 2020, Suzanne was wanting to break out on her own but still wanted to

Page 15 of 129

wait until REDACTED graduated. Libler said Suzanne felt some shame that she had so much materially, and she spoke with Libler about life transformation. Barry held the huge houses and Range Rovers over Suzanne’s head. Barry told her things like, “I provide these things for you. You have the greatest life. You have everything. A million-dollar home, you have Range Rovers.” Libler said they never made concrete plans, but she told him several times when she does leave Barry, she would go without contacting Libler for a while. Suzanne said she was not doing this for Libler but for herself.

Suzanne’s talk of leaving Barry was like a “wave, with like a higher frequency of waves.” Libler said Suzanne had faith God would provide for her and she would figure it out. Libler did not know she had an inheritance until he read about it in the media.
BTW, Non-Intimidating AA version: Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew
Snipped from your excellent post

Barry told her things like, “I provide these things for you. You have the greatest life. You have everything. A million-dollar home, you have Range Rovers.”

That’s Barry in a nutshell. All about the material possessions and the money.

The biggest problem for the defense remains Their Client.

Suzanne went missing between 2:11 or thereabouts on 5/9 and we can say loosely the afternoon of 5/10.

Their client willfully asserts that he saw Suzanne for an extended period of time on 5/9, into 5/10. Leaving no opportunity for anyone else to disappear her prior to his slippery 5 am claim/departure.

So, for there to be any other explanation, Suzanne would have had to voluntarily abandon her phone (while previously actively communicating with SO, JL and her daughters) and then disappear herself or get herself abducted after 5 am. In which case, why was Barry never concerned on 5/10 that Suzanne might've left with someone? In a car.

Because that was exactly the impression he was desperate --nay, deadly desperate -- to avoid giving, that Suzanne would have a reason to leave.

I believe Barry referred to the location of the bike as the crime scene (that LE messed up) (including letting ten people touch the bike) (one responding cop + GD + Barry is like 3 30 ten). Of course it became a crime scene... because it was staged, and the stager did that in order to redirect LE away from the home and isn't that the whole ironic point? It wasn't a crime scene because Suzanne disappeared from there; it became evidentiary by raising the question -- who'd do that?

We know Barry was driving his truck, as evidenced by CCTV at several dump sites so he just happened to turn in the direction of the helmet? Just happened to pause in the area where the bike was found? So he staged the bike but didn't have anything to do with her disappearance?

Who had motive, means, access and time to get Suzanne gone?

Never mind that Barry had no reason at all to 1. be in Broomfield and 2. or stay there all day. He was done not-working by 1. He alone knew there were no materials nor equipment to finish the project. Busy, busy B wasn't so busy, was he?

Recall, he asked Suzanne, Listen, I'm going to spend Mother's Day in Broomfield not-working, and Suzanne said OK. Sureshedid.

So much effort to establish an alibi.

Too bad Suzanne disappeared the day before. Where the alibi-ing falls even shorter.

He admits he was home, racing around the house with a loaded .22.

Because when he sees a chipmunk...

Oh, Barry...

JMO

Can't LOVE this post enough ! No need to belabor, Megnut nailed it!! Very succinct and spells out how and why BM is toast:D JMOO as always

I think the only reason she agreed to the move was due to her religious upbringing.
I don't want to bring religion into it but we've learned about their religions and I do believe it plays a large part in Suzanne's decision to stay together, according to her sister. I would never judge any of that at all.
IMO, Barry would've been pressing that issue and enforcing how she needed to be forgiving of his sins, just like his supposed pleas to his daughters to forgive Suzanne for her infidelity *two handed face palm*. Not kidding, that was a minute long two handed face palm.
Not sure if that 'floating down the river' loan was for the PP house or from before that but you may be absolutely right. Either way, Barry didn't think it was a priority to pay it back to her family until Suzanne put her foot down - something Barry found unacceptable but she wasn't having it.
I remain extremely suspect that Barry's 'income' came from landscaping only. Once Suzanne started thinking for herself, she may have found evidence of other financial gains she hadn't been aware of. He'd have been shocked that she even looked into what he didn't give her to 'take care of', paying household bills and such. That's my impression, anyway, and her daughter's and sister's and best friend's accounts appear to agree about his need for total control.
I think his isolating Suzanne backfired. She didn't have daily distractions anymore. Her youngest, according to texts in the AA, didn't want to deal with his abuse anymore. He couldn't bring M2 over to his side any longer.
Suzanne went biking and could be alone with her thoughts. I'm glad for those rides where she could feel like herself again.
I'm not so sure she'd be alive if she hadn't come to realizations about her marriage. I do b
Well, let's see.

In and around 2018, would Suzanne put up a good front, to friends and family, to preserve the image of family? About just how enthusiastic she was about the move, the house, their former belongings barried in Indiana...

In and around 2018, since divorce was not an option (per Barry), would Suzanne accept a move, hopeful for a fresh start? Or at least resigned to it...

In that fresh start, do we suppose she envisioned Busy B joining the fire department, giving him even less time for family?

In that fresh start, did she envision a largely absent husband when it came to her cancer treatment? Was her husband on hand to go to her appointments, hold the fort down while she endured the sickness and fatigue treatment likely brought? Was he any help at all?

Was he as polite and reasonable with her inquiries about her inheritances as he was with Gene, over the money Gene loaned him? And by polite, I mean rude.

Did he consider Suzanne's inheritance to be a free loan he didn't have to repay? Based on her 50 Reasons, it sure looks like that wasn't Suzanne's understanding/expectation. Suzanne and Barry were married over 20 years, his business was their business. She contributed her own inheritances to their buying power (under what pressure?), and yet ATM Barry felt entitled to be in charge of the money, handing her $300 for groceries, like a benefactor of some sort. I wonder if he made sure she said thank you.

Oh, I get it. ALL marriages have financial arrangements. Some partners are more suited to or more interested in managing the money, and if that works for everybody, perfect. But we've been given a glimpse behind closed doors here; Suzanne wasn't happy. Lack of access, even to her own money, was an issue. How much money she could have, what she could wear -- lends to a pattern of controlling behavior.

I wonder if anybody is getting a feel for that level of control now.

Is he still borrowing money? Telling people he can make a million easy and will repay them?

I'll give him this. Controllers rarely think they're controlling.

Suzanne was so much more than her 50 Reasons but thank heavens they weren't destroyed. They give her voice.

Her husband didn't.

JMO

Excellent post JMO
I have often wondered how MM2 felt about the fresh start. It couldn't have been easy for her especially. MOO

SM Studying?
Combined with a history of elementary/middle school education and surviving cancer twice, I think she was going for a personal trainer/life coach type thing.
@sk716 bbm Thanks for your post reminding me of this trainer/life coach idea discussed some time ago. Makes sense.

For some reason I was linking it w Bible study, probably because of many posts about their church attendance & activities.

I've often wondered if Barry had this killing idea on his mind while in Indiana. Although, it was not a solid as a Boulder plan yet. Barry wanted to be near MM1. No doubt. He's her hero until he's not. He adored the mountains of Colorado and esp fond of those Rockie Boulders he might lift with his excavator.

He piled his truck and trailer with antlers and other personal stuff and zipped to Salida. We've seen the image. I can almost hear Suzanne's belly laugh. Did he truly dig a hole and bury furniture in Alexandria?

This idea imho stemmed from the money; the inheritances that Suzanne was to receive. Then, here's her cancer returning as he's on the move to Salida? Then, the hounding began. He hounded Suzanne. Made her fear the deer's eyes were cameras. Made sure she lived in fear. Always shooting chipmunks, sawing on deer, hunting for a bear to kill so she grew insensitive to the distinct sound of firearms or jumpy at the sound. He pinned her down. He clipped her nose. How badly did it bleed? He held a Glock to his head.

Aren't some suicidal people easily prone to take others out with them if they become homicidal as he did. Suzanne's death was a homicide. He hid her body and the law needs it. Let us pray.

What did Barry do in the garage that he surely didn't want Suzanne to know about? Didn't the garage thingy make her list of 50 Reasons to Run? Did his plan include loading tranquilizer darts in the garage so surely Barry would murder her over leaving him plus steal grab her money, as sick and sorry as that is. Suzanne was done. Let's do this civilly.

Barry asked Gene to declare his daughter dead. Gene said no... Then, kindly requested contributions to battered women in his obit.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 2.11.25 AM.png
Obituary of Gene Moorman | Day & Carter Mortuary
In stepped MM1 to aid the hero tho. Barry had already disconnected from her family for quite some time prior. He wouldn't repay the loan to GM.

jmo Follow the money trail that Barry began on Mother's Day weekend 2020, over the course of the next few months, he began scooping the IN home's sale, her Range Rover, the Puma Path mansion, and so on. Who has the appx total of BMs net worth just before his arrest in May 2021? His arrest cost him a $500,000 cash bond. Should have been a cool million, just an idea.

I've often wondered if Barry had this killing idea on his mind while in Indiana. Although, it was not a solid as a Boulder plan yet. Barry wanted to be near MM1. No doubt. He's her hero until he's not. He adored the mountains of Colorado and esp fond of those Rockie Boulders he might lift with his excavator.

He piled his truck and trailer with antlers and other personal stuff and zipped to Salida. We've seen the image. I can almost hear Suzanne's belly laugh. Did he truly dig a hole and bury furniture in Alexandria?

This idea imho stemmed from the money; the inheritances that Suzanne was to receive. Then, here's her cancer returning as he's on the move to Salida? Then, the hounding began. He hounded Suzanne. Made her fear the deer's eyes were cameras. Made sure she lived in fear. Always shooting chipmunks, sawing on deer, hunting for a bear to kill so she grew insensitive to the distinct sound of firearms or jumpy at the sound. He pinned her down. He clipped her nose. How badly did it bleed? He held a Glock to his head.

Aren't some suicidal people easily prone to take others out with them if they become homicidal as he did. Suzanne's death was a homicide. He hid her body and the law needs it. Let us pray.

What did Barry do in the garage that he surely didn't want Suzanne to know about? Didn't the garage thingy make her list of 50 Reasons to Run? Did his plan include loading tranquilizer darts in the garage so surely Barry would murder her over leaving him plus steal grab her money, as sick and sorry as that is. Suzanne was done. Let's do this civilly.

Barry asked Gene to declare his daughter dead. Gene said no... Then, kindly requested contributions to battered women in his obit.
View attachment 329531
Obituary of Gene Moorman | Day & Carter Mortuary
In stepped MM1 to aid the hero tho. Barry had already disconnected from her family for quite some time prior. He wouldn't repay the loan to GM.

jmo Follow the money trail that Barry began on Mother's Day weekend 2020, over the course of the next few months, he began scooping the IN home's sale, her Range Rover, the Puma Path mansion, and so on. Who has the appx total of BMs net worth just before his arrest in May 2021? His arrest cost him a $500,000 cash bond. Should have been a cool million, just an idea.
I agree with everything you've said.

"Did he truly dig a hole and bury furniture in Alexandria?"
This puzzles me and always has. If he did do that, maybe someone needs to look into the burial site. Burying furniture?
Who would do that without a damn good reason to conceal something or some... maybe there was damn good reason for the hasty getaway. I don't put anything past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024