Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been awhile since he was in court - I'll shorten this up a bit.

Wednesday, January 12th:
*Status Conference Hearing-Virtual (Voter fraud & Murder) (@ 1pm) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 54) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21.
Trial set to begin on 5/3/22 (thru 6/1/22).
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 8/9/21 to 8/24/21 & 9/17/21 (Prelim day 1 to 5) & 11/9/21 & info on his voter fraud from 5/13/21 to 11/9/21 reference post #656 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

11/19/21 Update: Next hearing is scheduled for 12/14/21 at 1pm. Judge hopes it won't take a ton of time. The scheduled time gives them 4 hours. This is to continue this motions hearing about discovery violations. Eytan wishes the remaining witnesses to remain subpoenaed. Also Voter fraud has status conference hearing on 12/14/21. Other motions hearings have been set for 1/24/22, 1/25/22, 2/1/22, hearing on 4/7/22 & pretrial conference hearing on 4/8/22.
12/14/21 Update: The discovery & sanctions hearings took place today. Today’s hearings was presided over by District Judge Patrick Murphy. The last hearing for this case was on Nov. 9 when the defense made claims of “discovery violations” against the prosecution. The prosecution was different today without former lead prosecutor Jeff Lindsey. Lindsey left the jurisdiction, which took him off the case. Defense filed a motion to the court to dismiss the Judge Patrick Murphy on this case. Morphew's attorneys want Judge Murphy disqualified because of his lifetime relationship with lawyers representing Morphew's girlfriend, who was accused of trespassing at the Morphew's home earlier this fall. Shoshona Darke said she was merely picking up a FedEx package. Pertaining to Colorado law the court cannot continue with the hearing that was set today until the decision to disqualify the judge is made. The judge himself will rule on whether he will stay on the case or not. The judge says he has not had enough time to read the motion & consider the legal authority to decide today. The prosecution filed a response. The hearing for today is suspended. On 1/11/22 at 4pm the Judge will make a ruling on if he will be disqualified from the case or not. And status conference hearing re voter fraud at 4:30pm. 1/11/22 motion hearing has been change to status hearing @ 4:30pm Virtual.
12/14/21: Judge's response to motion (Motion to Disqualify Judge Patrick Murphy (D-55)) seeks to disqualify this judge from hearing this case. Because of the late filing, the Court has not had the ability to analyze, in any meaningful way, the Motion or the legal authority that supports the Motion. However, the Court disagrees with the defense position that the filing of the Motion alone requires disqualification. At this point, without further analysis & research, the Court is unable to determine if the situation as described in the affidavits requires disqualification. The Court declines to make substantial decisions such as this on the fly & without adequate time to analyze & research the argument & the legal authority that supports, or doesn't support, the argument. The Court will hear from the parties regarding any additional filings on this particular issue & will need to confirm with the prosecution that Shoshona Darke is a potential witness in this case. In an effort to be as transparent as possible, the Court will also put on the record the Court's relationship with attorney Sean McDermott as it is that relationship that forms the basis of the Motion.
12/29/21 Update: The prosecution has dismissed the trespassing charge against Darke the alleged girlfriend of Morphew. The victim did want to prosecute the charge but after closer review of the case law the people don’t believe there’s a reasonable likelihood of conviction.
12/30/21 Update: Order re: Defense Motion to Disqualify Chafee County District Court Judge Patrick Murphy (D-55)-The court hereby grants the motion & disqualifies itself from any further participation in this case or in the determination of the replacement judge. The District Administrator will contact Chief Justice Boatwright in order to determine a replacement judge.
link here:
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/4855_001.pdf

1/5/22 Update: Supreme Court Order appointing Judge Ramsey L. Lama (of the 11th District) to People v. Morphew by Chief Justice Brian D. Boatwright. Morphew will have the motions hearing in person with Judge Ramsey Lama on 1/24/22 at 8am. 1/7/22 Update: Murder case will not be heard on 1/11/22 only the voter fraud charge & will be virtual.
1/7/22 Update: The murder & voter fraud charges have been rescheduled for a status hearing on 1/12/22 @ 1pm.
I am so sorry you had to go through so much grief of losing your spouse. My sincere condolences.

@jakat - I am so so sorry for your loss! Wish I had the right words to help you feel better. Please accept my sincere condolences. I am thinking of you!!!! Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
Thank you NoSI. My son is here with me now. We live 700 miles away from each other. Guess I have to go through the stages of grief and I am. It hurts so much. I miss him. I loved him with every bit of my soul and he loved me just as much.

I'm beginning to think he genuinely feels like he deserves to get away with murder.

Some kind of adultery vigilante.

I wonder -- was it terror or sadness -- that overwhelmed Suzanne, the moment she realized there was but one way out of marriage.

I weep for her.

Court theatrics don't change that.

JMO

Just watched the hearing ( status conference )via WebEx from 1:00 - 1:45 today.
Dan Edwards and Mark Hurlbert for the State attending.
IE was only Defense on camera, however DN and their client BM were with her off camera.
Main takeaways I got were a ton of motions will be addressed at next Motions Hearing scheduled for January 24, 25 and February 1.

Defense will be filing a written motion for Bond Modification to allow BM to travel to daughters house in Gunnison by tomorrow.

Defense filed a Motion in October to add another week to the trial which is currently scheduled for 4 weeks starting May 3.
IE brought up today that she would like trial to start April 25 and her reason stated is she believes if all 32 hours of BM’s interviews are played it will take a week.
Judge did not rule on that yet.

Defense wants individual voir dire during Jury selection. Mr Edwards said he thought that would add 2 to 4 weeks to the trial.
Not ruled on today.

Defense has filed for change of venue.
Not ruled on today.

Defense was asking for the State’s expert witness endorsements and Edwards said Judge Murphy had already ruled, giving them until February 14. Judge agreed to keep that date.

Last edited:
Just watched the hearing ( status conference )via WebEx from 1:00 - 1:45 today.
Dan Edwards and Mark Hurlburt for the State attending.
IE was only Defense on camera, however DN and their client BM were with her off camera.
Main takeaways I got were a ton of motions will ne addressed at next Motions Hearing scheduled for January 24, 25 and February 1.

Defense will be filing a written motion for Bond Modification to allow BM to travel to daughters house in Gunnison by tomorrow.

Defense filed a Motion in October to add another week to the trial which is currently scheduled for 4 weeks starting May 3.
IE brought up today that she would like trial to start April 25 and her reason stated is she believes if all 32 hours of BM’s interviews are played it will take a week.
Judge did not rule on that yet.

Defense wants individual voir dire during Jury selection. Mr Edwards said he thought that would add 2 to 4 weeks trial.
Not ruled on today.

Defense has filed for change on venue.
Not ruled on today.

Defense was asking for the State’s expert witness endorsements and Edwards said Judge Murphy had already ruled, giving them until February 14. Judge agreed to keep that date.

Thanks for the recap! I forgot all about this.

I will share a plate if the defense plays any of Barry's interviews with LE.

Posturing.

JMO
There's a reason for their request. However, the prosecutor's office said they were discussing redactions in the 32 conversations that might suffice. I have a feeling defense wants those full interviews and it's not posturing on their part. I haven't seen them posture on much, they seem very directed and obvious in their motions. We've only seen snippets from the prosecution AA and preliminary from which the prosecution painted their picture of what they believe happened so we have no context around those snippets. It's possible that what is actually in those conversations adds context to some of the snippets that were used.

Did anyone catch what motion number was a change of venue motion? I didn't hear that one or missed it. So my takeaway was in addition to the existing motions which have been started and stopped the new motions are individual voir dire for jury, the motion to sever which I'm assuming relates to the voter fraud charge and someone said a change of venue but I didn't hear that. Oh and the motion to change bond to allow Barry to travel to Gunnison is being submitted to the judge. All the other motions scheduled today were prior motions around prosecutorial misconduct which the judge pushed out past Feb 14 and the request for an additional week of trial to allow for the jury to hear the full interviews with Barry that were recorded. The judge set dates and times for all the motions. What did I miss in the very beginning before I logged in?

Oh and two different prosecutors today: Mark Hurlbert and Dan Edwards.

Last edited:
A Body Buried on Former IN. Home Property?
Post 960 in last thread by Love Never Fails
"As far as I know this forum is for opinions. BM told investigators he buried furniture on his Indiana property. Most people would give old furniture away, donate it or have someone haul it off. There are companies in Indiana that do that. BM is charged with murder. It’s not a stretch to believe he may have murdered another human being and buried that person in his yard. Do you know for sure he didn’t? An old girlfriend? A coworker who made him angry? We can all concentrate on the case at hand. And I pray Suzanne is found. He told his coworker he could get rid of a body or bury a body and it would never be found. Maybe there’s also one in Indiana. Is that really so hard to believe?"

Briefly.
My post proposed that publicly released info was insufficient to
estab. probable cause for search warrant to tear up 15 ac. in IN.

Not so briefly, re your above post.
Agreeing, it's not a stretch that BM may have killed and buried another human being on his former IN home prop.
And no, I don't know for sure that he did not. Maybe he did.

But as of now, that ^ is not "also one in Indiana" because at this point, there's been been no judicial finding, either civil or criminal, that BM killed SM and/or buried her at PP home. No criminal conviction; no civil judgment in a wrongful death action.

Many (most?) posters here seem to believe, based on the info presented in the AA & at Pre/Hearing, BM is guilty of having killed SM, guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Imo likely that at trial a jury will find him guilty of homicide.

But such a conviction in itself is still not sufficient imo to estab. probable cause for a search warrant allowing LE to dig up 15 acres. my2ct

{ETA: If BM is the relentless liar that some say, then why should anyone believe his claim about his ability to make a body disappear?}

Last edited:
There's a reason for their request. However, the prosecutor's office said they were discussing redactions in the 32 conversations that might suffice. I have a feeling defense wants those full interviews and it's not posturing on their part. I haven't seen them posture on much, they seem very directed and obvious in their motions. We've only seen snippets from the prosecution AA and preliminary from which the prosecution painted their picture of what they believe happened so we have no context around those snippets. It's possible that what is actually in those conversations adds context to some of the snippets that were used.
These are the same attorneys that asked the judge to throw out the first degree murder charge, and immediately grant Barry bond (before the probable cause hearing).

What they were requesting was unprecedented, and they knew that motion didn't have a prayer. That was posturing, and they knew it would play well with the media. It was smart.

I can't wait for the context in regards to Barry's movements that day, when he repeatedly lied to law enforcement about what he was doing in Broomfield, and where he was when he got that life changing phone call.

The prosecution needs to hammer that home, as there is absolutely no innocent explanation for that behavior.

Did anyone catch what motion number was a change of venue motion? I didn't hear that one or missed it. So my takeaway was in addition to the existing motions which have been started and stopped the new motions are individual voir dire for jury, the motion to sever which I'm assuming relates to the voter fraud charge and someone said a change of venue but I didn't hear that. All the other motions scheduled today were prior motions around prosecutorial misconduct which the judge pushed out past Feb 14 and the request for an additional week of trial to allow for the jury to hear the full interviews with Barry that were recorded. The judge set dates and times for all the motions. What did I miss in the very beginning before I logged in?
I don't know the motion number for the change of venue but I believe they said it was filed in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478