Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, my front seat looks like this until I have passengers. What has me curious is why the seat would look like this if Barry was in the car the previous evening eating pizza. If I had a passenger eating pizza, my purse and miscellaneous stuff (not sunglasses) would have found its way to the back seat where it would remain until the next time I drove. Did Suzanne go somewhere after they picked up pizza and move those items back to the passenger seat or did they not eat pizza in the car as Barry tried indicating?

Others have mentioned being able to make out wallet contents but I cannot make those out either. If purse contents are spilled out, is this an additional act of staging?

IMO

You know what else I find a little weird, the driver and front passenger seat. If (loosely using this as I don't believe BM was in the car, but if he was, I don't picture him in passenger seat either, I picture him insisting on driving)
Both seats look to be equal - I would have thought whichever seat BM was in would be further back? He's taller than Suzanne and would need the extra leg room maybe? Or Suzanne, if she was actually driving, the drivers seat would be nearer to wheel and pedals? Idk , just thought it a little weird. moo

Moo based on image posted of interior of Suzanne's RR

ebm

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1486082390288224256?s=21
Martin Ritter, the neighbor who first alerted authorities of #SuzanneMorphew missing took the stand. He said he fears #BarryMorphew after reading the AA & witnessing his actions. Ritters put in a new security system when Morphew was released from jail & living nearby.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1486082929428213763?s=21
Det. Robin Burgess with CCSO testified about how initially the partial DNA match from #SuzanneMorphews glove box connected to an unknown sexual assault suspect in Tempe, AZ wasn't followed up as he had hoped but has since.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1486084539269238786?s=21
BarryMorphew defense also brought up DNA of an unknown male that was found on a step in the house and next to a bed. We are on lunch and more motions will be discussed this afternoon. I'll have a recap of the court proceedings today at 5 p.m.

I have not been able to follow this case closely for a while, but in scanning a couple of pages from yesterday I have one question I am hopeful someone has more information on.

The DNA on the step and next to the bed, along with what appeared to be a reference to DNA on the sheets in another post: were these samples all the same DNA or DNA from differing individuals?

As I posted a few days ago, this case continues to disappoint me in terms of the lack of reality about domestic abuse and danger to women.

This man is credible accused of murdering his wife, and we know he was likely abusive.

So now the Judge makes it easier for him to spend time with his daughters?

What the actual?
Domestic abuse is still largely ignored to this day. Shame on the judge.

@Momofthreeboys You've mentioned more than once that you suspect Barry didn't do this killing all alone. What is it that brings you to that possible conclusion? TIA

For the first time, I'm considering the possibility. I heard a reasonable story overnight that aligns with your suspicions.
If Barry had help from anyone at all, that makes two of them stupid and arrogant for poor staging and lies. Two of them!:eek:

Separate case that happened months after she disappeared. Judge ruled correctly on this I think. If you recall Judge Murphy also mentioned there were things in the AA that are inadmissable.
Everything about this murder says domestic abuse. Voting for her was a form of abuse also. The judge can’t see that?

Wow - i completely disagree with that ruling.

That should have gone to the jury.

This case appears to be upside down. Barry is not the victim here. Suzanne is the one who lost her life when her husband cruelly decided to take it. An accused murderer has his liberty and freedom to visit her daughters after he made their mother disappear forever.

I wonder if they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

Can someone VERIFY for me that Barry was EVER in Suzanne's car on MDW?

I think Barry says he was in her, I think LE relates the tale...

But Suzanne's car tells a different tale IMO. As many of you have indicated upthread, Suzanne's car looks exactly like the interior of mom's with grown children. No passengers, the passenger seat becomes a desk.

Barry couldn't recall where they ate the pizza. In the car, at home. I don't think he sat in that passenger seat. And if he drove, she would have. IMO no one did.

So why lie about that? Was Barry trying to Bsplain, in case LE had his DNA (Barry's DNA in his wife's car would surprise no one, but we don't know what LE asked that inspired Barry to say he cozied up with a pizza in Suzanne's car.)

Do we know whose fingerprints were on the chem bottles? If I were a bettor, I'd guess "consistent with Suzanne and [redacted]" or "Suzanne and [redacted] cannot be excluded". (I think Barry did most of his dirty work and all of his clean up wearing gloves or using a cloth most frequently associated with Suzanne and to a smaller degree [redacted]. The brown towel comes to mind. But biking gloves, gardening gloves, ski gloves will do.)

What's one of the last things Barry did before dumping the bike and helmet? Even he says he removed Suzanne's bike from her vehicle (because he says, she asked him to). What's the process for that?

Barry had 5 hours in a hotel room to mentally walk through his preceeding 24 hours. Surely he asked himself if there was anything he missed, probably pretty confident he'd outsmarted every dumb criminal before him.

I think Barry realized 1. he may have left incriminating DNA in the vehicle (hence the Bsplain about pizza picnic), overparanoid and 2. that he may not have wiped down or gloved up enough when he handled the bike. Which IMO is why he shouldered his way to the bike on 5/10 to touch the bike in sight of everyone. Adding that he'd handled the bike over MDW (again because Suzanne asked him to). It's like: 'I handled Suzanne's bike because I'm a loving and godly man who takes care of his wife, even when she's in one of her moods, and I handled her bike after it was discovered because I'm a loving and godly man and I was not in my right mind, I'd just lost the love of my life'.... but not 'I never took her bike of the rack to use it for my own purposes, without her permission, without a request from her, fully outside her awareness' and certainly not 'and I never handled her bike to pitch it down a ravine [insert hand gesture with bike flipping on itself] [insert verbal slip about the resting position of the wheel]'.

It's just interesting to me which times he's full of detail and which times he's got none.

Very telling.

JMO

Last edited:
Call It Murder

I had a little looky loo on the Internet about some of the named victims that were in the Forensic Files episodes that Barry was recorded on spy pen as listening too.
Above link is about the Chief Medical Examiner who worked on Walter Scott's case (article also provides information about other cases she worked on - its an old article, but was really interesting) - he was found in a cistern with a custom built flower planter covering it - what are the chances of Barry custom building something to hide Suzanne's burial place?

Just thought I'd share

Call It Murder

I had a little looky loo on the Internet about some of the named victims that were in the Forensic Files episodes that Barry was recorded on spy pen as listening too.
Above link is about the Chief Medical Examiner who worked on Walter Scott's case (article also provides information about other cases she worked on - its an old article, but was really interesting) - he was found in a cistern with a custom built flower pot covering it - what are the chances of Barry custom building something to hide Suzanne's burial place?

Just thought I'd share

Or a variation on the theme -- a nice little memorial of five dumbly-arranged rocks.

I'd say it's top 3. Top 1 and 2 being a mineshaft or a mountain lion den (lure the beast out with a dumped cooler of elk meat and drop a body in the den for safekeeping).

He put her somewhere.

JMO

I have not been able to follow this case closely for a while, but in scanning a couple of pages from yesterday I have one question I am hopeful someone has more information on.

The DNA on the step and next to the bed, along with what appeared to be a reference to DNA on the sheets in another post: were these samples all the same DNA or DNA from differing individuals?

I cannot recall any report I have read giving any further information about these samples. Yesterday was the first time I heard about the DNA next to the bed and on the step.
If all the samples in the house were from the same person I would have thought it might have been mentioned.

@Momofthreeboys You've mentioned more than once that you suspect Barry didn't do this killing all alone. What is it that brings you to that possible conclusion? TIA

For the first time, I'm considering the possibility. I heard a reasonable story overnight that aligns with your suspicions.
I wanted to answer this as it isn't something that has been discussed at length. I want to hear the conversations LE had with Barry before I lock into that thinking however it's a pretty good guess that not everything Barry said was a lie. The same actions that people dismiss....that he went searching, that he pleaded, that he was distraught, in the early days could just as easily be attributed to that he did not genuinely know where she "was". Can you imagine the stress that would be? Maybe he doesn't know where she "is"? People have continually dismissed the distraught Barry in the early days as a "fake performance"...I'm not convinced of that entirely. These are the other things that bother me that "could" suggest he didn't act alone and could skillfully be argued by defense that I need to hear both prosecution and defense arguments. Now that doesn't eliminate the fact that prosecution can try this case successfully.....it is just my thoughts as I try to maintain my objectivity.
  1. no evidence of anything in the house that points to her being killed in the house or around the house and then moved but no evidence that Barry left the house during the time period investigators have locked into
  2. no evidence of his truck leaving from the afternoon to the following morning. 95 feet data says and lots of door openings, closing or whatever that data is going to say happen so stuff was going on it sounds like in the middle of the night but not movement that would suggest transportation of a body some distance away.
  3. no evidence showing any other vehicle of the Morphews was driven between the afternoon and the next day and it has been suggested there is an ATV, but I haven't seen anything that supports that theory. There could have been, and other Morphew vehicles could have moved, or other vehicles arrive at the house in the night, but so far we haven't heard any evidence so gives me pause.
  4. I don't think he "carried" her somewhere. Too much searching close enough even of the mines has occurred.
  5. No evidence that he "pre-prepared" a hiding place for the body...just speculation
  6. Weak tranquilizer argument and no gun that was operational that could have fired the kind of tranq darts he had. That got confirmed in the 48 hours piece by the man who said "no" to firing from a different 22 and no signs of struggle other than a door jamb which can't be shown occurred May 9 or 10 to suggest something manual was done. This absolutely bothers me the most considering no evidence of death in or near the house. I have questions about why LE didn't find the needle sheath in the first search...what else did they miss the first go round?
  7. Lastly Barry left in the early AM...the house was empty until the police arrived that night. Even if Barry did something to her, there was many hours to move her by someone when it is known for fact that Barry was no where near
  8. I am one who believes that it "sounds" like the DNA work as been woefully negligent or unrevealed at this point to eliminate someone else "helping", in my opinion it can't just be dismissed...it needs to be explained why it is irrelevant as innocuous as it might be.
All of that makes my objective self wonder if someone else helped at minimum. The prosecution has put a stake in Barry did it, Barry planned it and Barry did it alone and there certainly some things that can bolster that argument whether it's enough is anyone's guess at this point and totally separate from wondering if Barry acted alone so I can peacefully wait until trial and I look forward to hearing the conversations and movements captured on body cam objectively.

Last edited:
I cannot recall any report I have read giving any further information about these samples. Yesterday was the first time I heard about the DNA next to the bed and on the step.
If all the samples in the house were from the same person I would have thought it might have been mentioned.

Thanks
My thinking is if they were all different, it could be explained fairly easily. Delivery driver for porch, manufacturing process or housekeeper for sheets, etc. If all the same, then I would have questions of who the other individual may be that was clearly in the home at some point.

I only offer the thought as something that I would want an explanation for if all the same individual.

Everything about this murder says domestic abuse. Voting for her was a form of abuse also. The judge can’t see that?
Likely the Judge is afraid the mere mention of Trump’s name would be prejudicial to many jurors. Regardless I think it should be allowed. Maybe not who he voted for but the fact that he indeed voted in her name illegally proving she wasn’t coming back. IMO Any chance this issue could be readdressed in the future and reconsidered by the Judge?

Separate case that happened months after she disappeared. Judge ruled correctly on this I think. If you recall Judge Murphy also mentioned there were things in the AA that are inadmissable.

But why do you think this should be kept from the jury?

I don't see how it is prejudicial. But I do see how it is one more piece of circumstantial evidence.

Likely the Judge is afraid the mere mention of Trump’s name would be prejudicial to many jurors. Regardless I think it should be allowed. Maybe not who he voted for but the fact that he indeed voted in her name illegally proving she wasn’t coming back. IMO Any chance this issue could be readdressed in the future and reconsidered by the Judge?

Who Barry cast the ballot for could be kept from the jury.

To my mind, it is another small but important fact that points to guilty knowledge.

And in any event, evidential onus should be on the defence to explain a different reason

Thanks
My thinking is if they were all different, it could be explained fairly easily. Delivery driver for porch, manufacturing process or housekeeper for sheets, etc. If all the same, then I would have questions of who the other individual may be that was clearly in the home at some point.

I only offer the thought as something that I would want an explanation for if all the same individual.

I would have thought there would have been a number of unidentified samples f delivery people,guests, items used outside of the house and so on.
If the same sample was on the step,next to the bed and on the sheet ,then it seems strange it was not found else where in the house.I

Did they collect DNA from every person who ever visited the house to eliminate them?

I imagine every body would have touch dna in their homes

Domestic abuse is still largely ignored to this day. Shame on the judge.

It's an aspect I really don't get.

Of course he is innocent till proven guilty, but that is only a trial standard. He is credibly accused, which means there is risk. For this reason his liberty is already partly restricted.

But for some reason he is free to gaslight the other females of the family.

I would have thought there would have been a number of unidentified samples f delivery people,guests, items used outside of the house and so on.
If the same sample was on the step,next to the bed and on the sheet ,then it seems strange it was not found else where in the house.I

Did they collect DNA from every person who ever visited the house to eliminate them?

Being familiar with true crime, it can be easy for you and I to comprehend. My gut says for a jury it may require some clear explanation to eliminate doubts. The filter of a random member of the public could be based solely on things they have read in the media about another high profile case or watched on tv. Headlines such as “XYZ’s DNA Found at Crime Scene Solves Case”, from years past, could be the only filter a jury member is coming from.

It's important to understand law enforcement don't take samples of the whole house - they focus on surfaces that might be relevant to a crime.

So there is likely to be DNA in your house that they never sample in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82