Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas why BM would give so many statements to LE without legal counsel?
Wondering how common this is, especially when a POI is also acquainted with true crime cases.

I also think Barry perceives himself to be the smartest person in the room, so yes, he thought he didnt need a lawyer. He was soooo much smarter than LE. He could easily fool them.
And add in the fact that he was a cheap SOB and you have the answer. Moo

I was convinced it was Friday night as well, but in the AA (page 30/129) it says the noise was reportedly heard on Saturday night.

View attachment 331971
While I agree that the AA and MSM report neighbor MB hearing construction noise on Saturday night, I'm also recalling an interview where it seemed to me that MB wasn't quite sure of the day herself. I think it sounds better to say the noise happened the night before SM disappeared but it always stuck with me that BM worked late at the same building site on Friday (MG raked the site on Sat morning). MOO

Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report

Without location analysis, but based on the activity log alone, it certainly (IMO) corroborates the lady's observation (earsbervation) of construction equipment being used in the middle of the night. (Friday night)

JMO

Court releases evidence in Morphew investigation from preliminary hearing | FOX31 Denver
I was convinced it was Friday night as well, but in the AA (page 30/129) it says the noise was reportedly heard on Saturday night.

View attachment 331971
While I agree that the AA and MSM report neighbor MB hearing construction noise on Saturday night, I'm also recalling an interview where it seemed to me that MB wasn't quite sure of the day herself. I think it sounds better to say the noise happened the night before SM disappeared but it always stuck with me that BM worked late at the same building site on Friday (MG raked the site on Sat morning). MOO

Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report

Anybody have working theory for why Barry contacted backhoe buddy on MDW?

A weird deflection? He seemed to know LE might look at his phone, which having scrubbed to his satisfaction, he was probably proud to hand over.

Was that contact staged?

Toward what end?

(Did he help himself to the backhoe PRIOR to the day, and the contact was to make it appear he had no idea where to find it?)

I wonder.

JMO

View attachment 331971

Thank you for finding that.

It does say "she reported"... I don't see that it's ever confirned.... so it's possible she was later able to nail it down.

I think she said she spoke with workers the next day (who told her that workers frequently leave keys with the equipment) (huh? what? who does that?)... but I find it hard to believe there were any workers there on a Sunday, let alone on Mother's Day.

We KNOW there were workers there on SATURDAY. Barry and MG.

And workers leave their keys hidden around equipment? For kids to find?

That sounds Barryesque to me.

He was none too happy -- or kind -- about her report, as I recall.

JMO

Neighbors want answers two months into Chaffee County woman’s disappearance | FOX21 News Colorado

Looking at the skid steer data, you must subtract 6 from the UTC time. Normally mountain standard time is UTC -7. But it was during daylight savings time, so "spring forward", we lose an hour, so it is really UTC -6 for this time period.

I can see where he shut down on 5/8 at 5:41 PM at CR 105 site. Then he startsup, does a little bit of stuff, then shutsdown again, from 7:18 PM to 7:24 PM at Puma Path property. (6 minutes) He does not use the skid steer until 5/9 at 7:33 AM at 1024 Poncha Springs. I think this is or near the Tailwinds property? So it looks like he quit work for the pizza Friday night at 5:41 PM and was home by 7:18 PM.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...terest/21CR78/Defense Prelim Hearing Ex D.pdf
From page 21/23 of the skid steer data.
upload_2022-1-30_18-28-36.png

Last edited:

That always stuck with me as well...

Could he have been readying a spot on that river lot Friday night to place a body Saturday night?

Or, could he have been borrowing rented machinery from that job site Friday night (or even an attachment from such rented machinery) to ready a spot somewhere other than that river lot for placing a body Saturday night?

IIRC, MG was surprised he wanted her to rake flat the riverfront that day and she was also surprised when he called it quits for the day so early. It makes one wonder whether the objective was not really to rake the riverfront flat, but was something else. (Was MG using BM's Bobcat to rake, or was she using a machine rented for the job and kept onsite?)

Did BM actually need the riverfront raked flat Saturday morning, or did he just need someone to erase the indicators of where he might have moved machinery the night before for purposes unknown? Or, did he do something to the machine (like rough up its blade) so he wanted someone other than himself to be using it between Friday night and Saturday night doing something that might be thought to rough up the blade?

And then Saturday afternoon, he replaces the blade on his own Bobcat.

Saturday night, amid all the other door opening and closing, he backs his truck up 96 ft, drives the Bobcat off its trailer, uses it to unhitch the trailer from his truck, and parks the Bobcat in front of the trailer.

It's like BM wanted his Bobcat at Puma Path when LE arrived looking for a missing SM. But was he playing a shell game? "They'll be so focused on looking over my Bobcat, they'll never think to look at any other I have access to."

Makes me wonder which Bobcat was actually on Friday carrying the blade that BM had replaced on Saturday.

I have been thinking through a different idea this afternoon. Looking at the evidence just released and slide 86 is photos of Barry's truck. There is a closer up photo of the bed of the truck that looks like a box of some sort in it.. maybe a tool box? Going to go back and look through Jeff and Suzanne's communication from 1-3 that day again, but what if Barry tranquilized her before he left for this errand? I read that the tranquillizer lasts for 6-8 hours for bears. She sent the photo text at 2:11.. but could that have been Barry? He texts her did you leave? Just seems so odd like he is trying to lay an alibi that he was gone and she wasn't answering him or something.

She's also texting with SO and the girls during the day. But I don't think we have precise times on those right now and I haven't started working in the texts from the PH doc dump.

The links will take you to the details from the AA and PH.

May 09, 13:35 – Barry leaves home again.
Checked on job at Kim Gyms

May 9, 13:40(?) – Suzanne texts Libler
Guess who is alone again?

May 09, 13:46 – Barry and the backhoe
After texting, Barry drove by Tim Klco's house to see the backhoe, but did not get back in touch to buy it. In 2018, Barry used a backhoe to dig a large hole in his front yard, fill it with items to include furniture, and cover it over, planting alfalfa on top.

May 09, 13:51 – 14:13 – Barry at DSI, replacing Bobcat blade
He was wearing a blue t-shirt and khaki shorts.

May 09, 14:03 – Suzanne sends sunbathing pic to Libler, last proof of life.
“Well, look at her. She’s obviously drunk. Look at her eyes. Do you know what drunk eyes look like?”

May 09, 14:11 – Suzanne sends last LinkedIn message to Libler: “I’m on wa.”
Libler sent response messages at 2:39PM, 2:46PM and 2:47PM that Suzanne did not answer.

May 09, 14:26 – Barry texts Suzanne, “Done headed back.”
He texted Suzanne that he was done and was headed home.

May 09, 14:31 – Barry texted Suzanne, “Did you leave.”
At 2:31 PM, Barry texted Suzanne, “Did you leave.”

May 09, 14:39 – Libler messages Suzanne, she does not respond. First unread.
Messages from LinkedIn show they were talking about how Suzanne is in love with Jeff before she went missing.

May 09, 14:43 – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, arrive at the Morphew residence.
"The photo is shown in the courtroom, Suzanne smiling. Truck GPS coordinates show Barry’s truck goes into park at 2:43:59. Phone coordinates show he walks around the house. You can hear a pin drop in the courtroom as tension is high." - Carol McKinley, PH Tweet

May 09, 14:44 – Shooting Chipmunks? Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world.
Shooting Chipmunks? Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world.

May 09, 14:46 – Libler messages: “Hey … your weather looks great” Second unread.
No response from Suzanne.

May 09, 14:47 – Jeff sends another messages to Suzanne with no response. Third unread.
Jeff sends last message if the day to Suzanne with no response.

If we have Barry somewhere on this timeline, that's where he was.
Full Timeline – Find Suzanne Morphew

Thank you for finding that.

It does say "she reported"... I don't see that it's ever confirned.... so it's possible she was later able to nail it down.

I think she said she spoke with workers the next day (who told her that workers frequently leave keys with the equipment) (huh? what? who does that?)... but I find it hard to believe there were any workers there on a Sunday, let alone on Mother's Day.

We KNOW there were workers there on SATURDAY. Barry and MG.

And workers leave their keys hidden around equipment? For kids to find?

That sounds Barryesque to me.

He was none too happy -- or kind -- about her report, as I recall.

JMO

Neighbors want answers two months into Chaffee County woman’s disappearance | FOX21 News Colorado
I agree he could've used equipment that was there and not his bobcat. Unfortunately, the cell phone data that we just got doesn't cover Friday night or early Saturday morning so we can't look at that.

This may have already been addressed but I'm behind in reading because I had to leave the threads when folks were traumatizing supporters by telling us this was not a winnable murder case.

I think it's highly likely that MM2 was an eyewitness to Barry physically doing something to her mother in order to make her drastic suggestion for obtaining a restraining order. We know Barry pinned Suzanne down. We know he held a gun to his head. We have seen the damaged mastersuite door jamb crack.

Hence, I feel the only clear reason a 16yo would make such a harsh suggestion that would protect her mother with a restraining order is if she physically witnessed her mother being attacked. The child even suggested leaving and going into Salida with her mother to obtain a place to live and both getting jobs in order to support themselves. This tells me that MM2 knew Barry would never agree to give Suzanne money or support her leaving. She would just have to walk away. Although, in hindsight, she should have done just that, Suzanne didn't want to just walk away because she had a wheelbarrow load of money invested in the PP home and the IN home, as well.

moo

BBM. You know we're gonna educate naysayers.

This case is way more solid than we ever heard because the defense doesn't want it heard. And headlines about the dead wife having an affair are great click bait.

She's also texting with SO and the girls during the day. But I don't think we have precise times on those right now and I haven't started working in the texts from the PH doc dump.
May 09, 13:51 – 14:13 – Barry at DSI, replacing Bobcat blade
He was wearing a blue t-shirt and khaki shorts.
RSBM..it is incredibly helpful, great job as always sk716. As to the blue t -shirt/khaki shorts.... matchy, matchy as Barry says...

Last edited:
I wonder at what point LE knew Barry had made multiple stops in Broomfield.

Tracking of his phone?

It was in airplane mode for the elk run...

So it must've been his phone.

Dumb move by him.

JMO

Pretty much as soon as the forensics people turned the key of his truck.

Their first clue was the 14 mile discrepancy from the actual mileage from PP to the HIE Broomfield. LE had somebody drive it, just to be sure. Barry insisted he was working at the wall. If you subtract the distance from the hotel to the wall and back there's a bit over 3 miles in his Broomfield trash dump loop.

As the truck was seized out of the gate, they may not have needed a warrant to download the telematics. The phone geo-data required a warrant, but the truck data gave them plenty of probable cause for the phone data.

Do you know the exact discrepancy in mileage? I see 14 miles sometimes.
(Barry Morphew Interview – March 1, 2021)
[In this interview, Barry again significantly altered his prior statements to adjust to evidence presented to him . He said he turned left on Highway 50 as he left the house on May 10th to see where elk were going, which put him in the direction of Suzanne’s helmet. The admission to SA Harris was the first time Barry admitted to turning left on Highway 50, away from the Broomfield route. This accounts for the missing mileage from his return to trip home from the Broomfield hotel – Barry’s odometer registered a 183-mile trip to the hotel that morning, including about 2 miles of deviations, and a 167-mile trip on the same route home- for an approximate 14 extra miles.]

In sifting through the AA in search of mileage, I came across these tidbits.

Barry said he thought the girls would be at home at lunchtime on MD. (AA P. 22/24)

And lest we forget, Barry claims he made breakfast for Suzanne on Saturday. And served it to her in bed. (AA P. 25/27)

I will refrain from comment. Drawing blood from my tongue though.

Colorado Judicial Branch - Chaffee - Cases of Interest - People of the State of Colorado v. Barry Lee Morphew

Did you forget he called MM1 around noon, from the wall, because they hadn't called him to report their mother missing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savagegrace13