Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your recall of these details is impressive, @Cindizzi!

It's May in CO, during Covid restrictions. Why would he have swim trunks in his truck?
Because he is messy…I got into one of my kids’ vehicle last weekend and it was filthy and there was a wadded up beach towel, bathing suit and flip flops in the back seat in the middle of winter. I thought I raised him better.

Your recall of these details is impressive, @Cindizzi!

It's May in CO, during Covid restrictions. Why would he have swim trunks in his truck?
I was just going to post this! bam!

Also I have misplaced my AA so I printed another one and am going thru it again. I'm only to page 29 and BM already had about 5 people lined up as suspects.

One of which he blames selling cbs oil to SM, when in fact on the same page, in a pointer note, BM was the one who bought cbs oil from him.

I'm shaking my head...

[roll the camera]

Oh, Suzanne. To whoever out there that has you, they can keep you because, even though our marriage was perfect, you were sick in the head and didn't want me, even after I battled your cancer two times. And since I can't have you, well, I still like steak. And sex. And I'll do whatever it takes.

[cut]

JMO

You raise an interesting point. If he disposed of her remains overnight, did he ever enter the house again?

I believe he did remove the Bobcat around 4 am (the dog hits and footprints) but did he risk entering the house and leaving traces?

I pegged him for showering after he did what he did -- and to keep his truck pristine (dirty but clean of murder).

Maybe that's what he was doing the night before, just as he said, loading up his truck. Including the first spare outfit. Because he knew, once he left PP to go dispose of his wife, he wouldn't be going back into the house!

I wonder what he used to make sure none of his "trash" left any trace in his truck. The coolers? Tarps? Blankets? Towels?

Returns to PP at dark thirty, uses the Bobcat to unhitch the trailer, strips down right there at his truck and dresses in the first of several wardrobe changes....

JMO
Instead of showering at home he used the hot tub, then went in the house to get a change of clothes. He used the dryer at some point because his shorts were in there. He might have worn those clothes in the hot tub and then stuck them in the dryer.

JMO

How far is it from Puma Path to the Gunnison county line? Thanks!
Monarch Pass (and the Monarch Ski Resort) is situated 25 miles west of Salida (US 50). The pass acts as a border between Chaffee and Gunnison counties.

The driving distance from Puma Path to the town of Gunnison where the daughters reside is only about 50 miles or an hour's drive.

Driving to Gunnison via US 50, you actually touch three counties: Chaffee, Saguache, and Gunnison.

Good county maps at the following links:

Monarch Pass, a mountain road in Colorado. - Roadstotravel

https://www.gunnisoncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/9634/County-Wide-Map-2019?bidId=

Hi all,
Just really getting into this case and am still weeding through the previous threads when I have time on my hands. I wanted to go ahead and ask though because this has been bugging me: has anyone explored the fact that Barry having Suzanne's iCloud password could enable him to send texts and things from another device, i.e. a laptop? I know I'm currently on my husband's laptop and I can send and see texts to (and send from)his phone from here.

Another thing that stood out to me was the timing of the Facebook password reset request on May 9 and his lunchtime arrival at the house. I saw, in the affidavit that her phone received a second password reset on 11:14 and then immediately thereafter Barry starts home (estimated 11:15). Because Suzanne had never made outgoing friend requests prior to this, coupled with the fact that most requests were to men in IN, I think we are safe to assume this is Barry working from Suzanne's fb. Note that one of the requests was sent to Bobby Huff at 9:15 that morning- Barry's first guess at the ID of Suzanne's lover is a man named David Huff, not sure if this is coincidence or if the two are related.

Apparently at around 11, Suzanne realizes she can't get into her fb account (perhaps because Barry has changed the password) so she attempts to reset it again. Now, if he is accessing her email and monitoring her phone via her iCloud on another device, he would immediately see this email notification. I just find the timing really odd-I feel like he had been tipped off at this point that she was seeing someone else and was in a frenzy to discover his identity. I see May 9th as being Barry creeping around, maybe even with binoculars, trying to see how Suzanne is talking to and leaving him for.

Also I have misplaced my AA so I printed another one and am going thru it again. I'm only to page 29 and BM already had about 5 people lined up as suspects.

One of which he blames selling cbs oil to SM, when in fact on the same page, in a pointer note, BM was the one who bought cbs oil from him.

I'm shaking my head...

Attachments

• AF393C5D-7563-426F-A37B-FBD524A368BD.jpeg
    AF393C5D-7563-426F-A37B-FBD524A368BD.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 8776575D-3BDB-4A52-9A65-05EC494CFDA4.jpeg
    8776575D-3BDB-4A52-9A65-05EC494CFDA4.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 29
Instead of showering at home he used the hot tub, then went in the house to get a change of clothes. He used the dryer at some point because his shorts were in the dryer, He might have worn those clothes in the hot tub and then stuck them in the dryer.

JMO

This is good development.

I think the laundry was on Saturday. CCTV shorts, the dart.

I think all Barry's truck activity on Saturday was Busy B getting everything set for the following morning. He did laundry. Grilled a steak. Burned some things.

IMO he left the house at 10:30 pm FOR GOOD.

When he returned at 3:30, he engaged the Bobcat (IMO that's the most logical reason and timing for the transfer of cadaverine), and as you suggest, he bathed in the hot tub!!! He may have poured extra chlorine in for good measure!! And Suzanne's towel might have been right there! Now he's rid of cadaverine so none is ever alerted to in his truck. Maybe he even added chlorine to the clothes he'd worn overnight.

He tries to get into the hotel by a side door because HE smells like a hotel pool!

Multiple showers to try to dilute himself!

I'd like to know if Suzanne was a lights on or a lights off sort of person... during the day.

How did Barry leave the lights at PP when he drove away?

JMO

Last edited:
I've always found it odd that Suzanne would have had any kind of chemicals, just rolling around freely on the floorboard of her car, due to her having had a major allergic reaction to bleach years earlier.

If Suzanne had chlorine in her car, why did she ask Barry to pick up supplies from S&S? When he (allegedly) stopped by there on Saturday, what did he buy?
BBM
What type of allergic reaction did SM have to bleach? Anaphylactic?

I find this interesting because of the bleach smell in the Broomfield HIE. Also, IIRC, there were some thoughts of a bleach smell at the house on PP.

JMO

@Cindizzi

I'm only as far as page 29.
On page 25. I only see:

"When questioned of anything recently that 'might have been a first' for Susan, Barry responded that she started taking THC/CBD edibles and oils [about a month "before she left"] Barry reported that she was getting it from "a guy in Westcliffe" named Tim and that Barry could provide Tim's contact. (35)

Point 35 says: "See interview summary of Timonthy Agnes in Section 5. Barry purchased CBD oil from Agnes in 2019."

(This is what I had to go on, thus why I made my comment).

Last edited:

I'm shaking my head...
BBM: But Barry was buying it for Suzanne!. Whose to say Suzanne didn't call him for more!!

BBM: But Barry was buying it for Suzanne!. Whose to say Suzanne didn't call him for more!!

And what would that prove?

This man was running a legitimate business, selling CBD products at a local farmer's market. I'm not aware of too many drug dealers who provide purchase orders.

Barry was throwing around names of people he knew were innocent, and trying to draw attention away from himself.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was going to upset you.

I'm only as far as page 29. As far as I see, we only have BM's say who bought what for who...

And as Melinda, her sister states: Barry "lives a double life, a liar.....a bully...fools people a lot..."

And what would that prove?

This man was running a legitimate business, selling CBD products at a local farmer's market. I'm not aware of too many drug dealers who provide purchase orders.

Barry was throwing around names of people he knew were innocent, and trying to draw attention away from himself.
BBM...that's exactly what he was doing!

@Cindizzi

I'm only as far as page 29.
On page 25. I only see:

"When questioned of anything recently that 'might have been a first' for Susan, Barry responded that she started taking THC/CBD edibles and oils [about a month "before she left"] Barry reported that she was getting it from "a guy in Westcliffe" named Tim and that Barry could provide Tim's contact. (35)

Point 35 says: "See interview summary of Timonthy Agnes in Section 5. Barry purchased CBD oil from Agnes in 2019."

(This is what I had to go on, thus why I made my comment).
Hey @Warwick7 ! Good to see you again lately!
Sorry I meant to post some comments along with the screenshots about CBDT but I got interrupted.
I was just agreeing with you saying that BM first tried to make CBDT out to be a suspect and then we find out that BM had actually contacted him in 2019 to buy oil from him.
I missed you saying you’re only on page 29. Oops.
The interview with CBDT is on page 53 where he produced 4 purchase orders from BM and SM from October 2018 thru April 2020 for hemp oil.
BM LIED and said SM only started using it a month before she disappeared. OMG how did he not think that LE would follow up with someone he tried to paint as a suspect??!
Again, I’m sorry if you thought I was correcting you! Not at all!

Anybody have working theory for why Barry contacted backhoe buddy on MDW?

A weird deflection? He seemed to know LE might look at his phone, which having scrubbed to his satisfaction, he was probably proud to hand over.

Was that contact staged?

Toward what end?

(Did he help himself to the backhoe PRIOR to the day, and the contact was to make it appear he had no idea where to find it?)

I wonder.

JMO

BBM. I wonder about that whole backhoe business too. I just doesn't feel right.

Could he have wanted to justify a reason why his fingerprints/dna might be found on the backhoe?

Did he use the backhoe previously? Or did he have a helper borrow it but he knew his dna could be found on it?

I wonder too.

BBM
What type of allergic reaction did SM have to bleach? Anaphylactic?

I find this interesting because of the bleach smell in the Broomfield HIE. Also, IIRC, there were some thoughts of a bleach smell at the house on PP.

JMO
Suzanne had used bleach and some other product <ammonia?> while cleaning her shower, it created a deadly gas fume IIRCC

Hey @Warwick7 ! Good to see you again lately!
Sorry I meant to post some comments along with the screenshots about CBDT but I got interrupted.
I was just agreeing with you saying that BM first tried to make CBDT out to be a suspect and then we find out that BM had actually contacted him in 2019 to buy oil from him.
I missed you saying you’re only on page 29. Oops.
The interview with CBDT is on page 53 where he produced 4 purchase orders from BM and SM from October 2018 thru April 2020 for hemp oil.
BM LIED and said SM only started using it a month before she disappeared. OMG how did he not think that LE would follow up with someone he tried to paint as a suspect??!
Again, I’m sorry if you thought I was correcting you! Not at all!
Howdy back at ya! I'm going to jump to page 53 as we speak. I haven't read this AA in a long time. You have my curiosity up.
:0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member