Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purposes of spy pen I can think of:

To be informed of what he is doing and the decisions he is making personally and financially

Audio to serve as record of their conversations so he can't misrepresent later to his advantage

As leverage to keep things civil as she took steps to leave marriage

I don't think she would have used spy pen against him in a public way or with the daughters

She would have used it to keep him accountable to his phony declarations

JMO
add to the list - Suzanne seemed to often accuse him of having an affair. She may have thought if she planted the pen in his truck or elsewhere she might catch him at an affair.

add to the list - Suzanne seemed to often accuse him of having an affair. She may have thought if she planted the pen in his truck or elsewhere she might catch him at an affair.

That was the premise in the first example... to learn of his personal decisions and what he was doing.
He spent alot of time away from home.
JMO

Last edited:
Remind me. Where did LE find the spy pen?
They found it stowed in a bin that held some bras in the master bedroom closet.

ETA: Arrest Affidavit, page 28 under "Search of Residence on May 20, 2020:"

"On May 20, 2020, search efforts were still ongoing at the Morphew residence, searching for evidence related to Suzanne's disappearance. On this date, Detective Hysjulien located a writing pen, (that appears to be the "spy pen" Sheila Oliver referenced). The pen was located in a cloth bin amongst women's bras. The cloth bin and pen were inside the walk-in closet in the master bedroom, located on the ground level of the residence. Detective Hysjulien located, along with the pen, the controller and headphones for playback and a USB cable."

Last edited:
When this is all over, someone should write a book called "Barry Morphew's Words of Wisdom."

He stated, "We (men) need sex. That's all we need and we'll be good."

"That's the problem with women. They get their little things going between each other and they have no respect for their husbands."

page 59

Last edited:
The spy pen just seems odd to me. IMO, that's a pretty good indicator she was scared or afraid of something. What was she hoping to record? Does the spy pen help in proving she was possibly wanting to record a repeat of an abusive event?

My opinion only here... but I think she felt for a long time he was having an affair. In her texts we can see that his behavior was off:
He tried to take her phone while they were in Mexico. He "chased her around the resort" and she handed it over so he could look. Maybe his own infidelity was giving him a guilty conscious.

He held money over her head when she mentioned divorcing. Seems this conversation was ongoing. She wasn't happy, He said "if she would just be the person she used to be it would all be fine"..

He threatened suicide when she mentioned leaving.

She was conflicted about divorce and her religion. I know it seems odd since she was okay with an affair. I think that wasn't intentional and it formed from friendship and having someone be the things Barry wasn't.. giving her support during this cancer rediagnosis and she for the first time felt someone cared about her and her ideas and dreams vs just having a person be what he needed her to be and give him sex. I think she still felt conflicted about divorce. It's my opinion if Barry even tried a little bit to understand her, support her in some kind of way other than being her ATM... she would have recognized his efforts and stayed. She saw no effort on his part and felt he was having an affair.

He would go off for days when they had an argument.. he was picking fights so he could run off.. I feel likely he was having an affair of some sort and would go somewhere else and then spy on Suzanne at the house.

He was getting increasingly erratic. I think she could sense something enough to be afraid of him, but I don't think she believed he would kill her. :(

She wanted that spy pen to see if he was having an affair.. if so, I think in her mind it would be easier to divorce and not have the guilt of being a Christian woman seeking a divorce. She also could get proof he was controlling with the money. She just wanted her money from the sale of the Indiana house so she could start fresh. That sale was delayed and she was stuck.

Last, I think she suspected he was doing something not so up and up with money Maybe even something illegal.

The spy pen just seems odd to me. IMO, that's a pretty good indicator she was scared or afraid of something. What was she hoping to record? Does the spy pen help in proving she was possibly wanting to record a repeat of an abusive event?
While not stated in the AA, I believe an investigator testified during the PH that SM believed BM was having an affair and thought about planting the spy pen in BM's truck. I think there are tweets to this effect. MOO

ETA: Add link

Ten days after Suzanne Morphew was reported missing, investigators found this "spy" pen in a walk-in closet in the Morphew's master bedroom.

They learn that Suzanne got the pen, which is voice-activated and records conversations, hoping to catch her husband Barry in an affair. Instead, she inadvertently recorded conversations she had with her secret lover

morphew-07.jpg

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case.

Last edited:
When this is all over, someone should write a book called "Barry Morphew's Words of Wisdom."

"That's the problem with women. They get their little things going between each other and they have no respect for their husbands."

page 59

BBM

These glimpses into BM's thoughts and feelings are really quite incredible. And very damning, for him.

imo

BBM

These glimpses into BM's thoughts and feelings are really quite incredible. And very damning, for him.

imo
Yeah, it sheds light on the power dynamic that Suzanne's sister and other witnesses mentioned. Suzanne was the submissive woman, and Barry was master of the house.

"But she turned into a different person. She was working out. She was, she was never this fit. And this ballsy in her life." Pg 81

Barry couldn't have that.

Also, this is fun:

Barry said again that from what he has seen, Suzanne left and he wants to go to Mexico (to find her), adding that Suzanne doesn't have to go through a border and wondered if she had 70,000 dollars.

SA Grusing said if it wasn't Suzanne, the FBI would consider it (page 81).

So Barry is suggesting Suzanne took off, Grusing is shooting it down, but Barry told Holly this (page 58):

Barry said he did not see anything else, adding the FBI was telling him that "she left on her own. They were trying to tell me that she left." Barry said she did not leave; he knew she would not do that.

Then on page 108:

SA Grusing said that, considering the evidence, it does not appear Suzanne chose to disappear.

Barry's response is gold:

Barry said, "And I've never thought that."

Then this great footnote:

After being told of the affair, Barry asserted multiple times that Suzanne must have left on her own, which was why her personal documents, wallet, money and Camelbak water pack were shown to him.

He's such a clown.

Yeah, it sheds light on the power dynamic that Suzanne's sister and other witnesses mentioned. Suzanne was the submissive woman, and Barry was master of the house.

"But she turned into a different person. She was working out. She was, she was never this fit. And this ballsy in her life." Pg 81

Barry couldn't have that.
And wondering what her younger self was thinking...:(

Purposes of spy pen I can think of:

To be informed of what he is doing and the decisions he is making personally and financially

Audio to serve as record of their conversations so he can't misrepresent later to his advantage

As leverage to keep things civil as she took steps to leave marriage

I don't think she would have used spy pen against him in a public way or with the daughters

She would have used it to keep him accountable to his phony declarations

JMO

Regarding the spy pen and to piggyback on my previous post...

I believe audio she may have gained by its use would have been respectfully and carefully used.

IMO its greatest value in addition to gaining information about the life of her very secretive husband was to have an objective record of activities and conversations. This would be helpful when a discrepancy arose between recollections of discussions.

AA texts and testimony show him to be deceitful, erratic and volatile. I understand SO giving her the pen.

I don't think her goal was to publicly expose him but keep him accountable to proceed civilly and maturely.

I also think her desire would have been to shield the daughters from information gleaned as was her routine.

I believe audio she may have gained by its use would have been respectfully and carefully used.

IMO its greatest value in addition to gaining information about the life of her very secretive husband was to have an objective record of activities and conversations. This would be helpful when a discrepancy arose between recollections of discussions.

AA texts and testimony show him to be deceitful, erratic and volatile. I understand SO giving her the pen.

I don't think her goal was to publicly expose him but keep him accountable to proceed civilly and maturely.

I also think her desire would have been to shield the daughters from information gleaned as was her routine.
AA, pg 13/131

upload_2022-2-18_11-32-30.png

Recalling the argument in the truck...

Sadly, anybody that's dealt with a narcissist understands why SM desired to record BM. It's far too common for the narc to attribute words that came directly from their mouth to the victim! More 'crazy maker' behavior.

How Narcissists Play the Victim and Twist the Story

My opinion only here... but I think she felt for a long time he was having an affair. In her texts we can see that his behavior was off:
He tried to take her phone while they were in Mexico. He "chased her around the resort" and she handed it over so he could look. Maybe his own infidelity was giving him a guilty conscious.

He held money over her head when she mentioned divorcing. Seems this conversation was ongoing. She wasn't happy, He said "if she would just be the person she used to be it would all be fine"..

He threatened suicide when she mentioned leaving.

She was conflicted about divorce and her religion. I know it seems odd since she was okay with an affair. I think that wasn't intentional and it formed from friendship and having someone be the things Barry wasn't.. giving her support during this cancer rediagnosis and she for the first time felt someone cared about her and her ideas and dreams vs just having a person be what he needed her to be and give him sex. I think she still felt conflicted about divorce. It's my opinion if Barry even tried a little bit to understand her, support her in some kind of way other than being her ATM... she would have recognized his efforts and stayed. She saw no effort on his part and felt he was having an affair.

He would go off for days when they had an argument.. he was picking fights so he could run off.. I feel likely he was having an affair of some sort and would go somewhere else and then spy on Suzanne at the house.

He was getting increasingly erratic. I think she could sense something enough to be afraid of him, but I don't think she believed he would kill her. :(

She wanted that spy pen to see if he was having an affair.. if so, I think in her mind it would be easier to divorce and not have the guilt of being a Christian woman seeking a divorce. She also could get proof he was controlling with the money. She just wanted her money from the sale of the Indiana house so she could start fresh. That sale was delayed and she was stuck.

Last, I think she suspected he was doing something not so up and up with money Maybe even something illegal.

Jumping off these two thoughtful posts,

I think Suzanne was serious about what she wanted. Transparency.

We see how Barry answers questions. It's dizzying.

I think Suzanne was looking for validation. Validation that her instinct was right. If Barry was cheating, proof. If Barry was moving money in secret, proof. If Barry was where he said he was.

Not to fuel a divorce, but to bolster her confidence.

She had already lost respect for him. Likely back in Indiana. She wasn't seeking "dirt" on him. She was seeking clarity. For herself.

She wanted the blinders off.

IMO that was what the spy pen was for.

To learn the truth.

JMO

Last edited:
Jumping off these two thoughtful posts,

I think Suzanne was serious about what she wanted. Transparency.

We see how Barry answers questions. It's dizzying.

I think Suzanne was looking for validation. Validation that her instinct was right. If Barry was cheating, proof. If Barry was moving money in secret, proof. If Barry was where he said he was.

Not to fuel a divorce, bur to bolster her confidence.

She had already lost respect for him. Likely back in Indiana. She wasn't seeking "dirt" on him. She was seeking clarity. For herself.

She wanted the blinders off.

IMO that was what the spy pen was for.

To learn the truth.

JMO
Amen, sister.

It's a powerful and liberating thing - the truth - when you've been steeped in and bound up by the lies told by another for so long.

I pray that other members of BM's family eventually encounter it and recognize it for what it is.

For those who've never encountered control on this level, consider this -- how crippling and confusing a sentence like this --

Don't betray me like your mother did.

Controlling, manipulative, effective.

I can't say for sure that's in play here, but I'd bet the whole steak on it.

JMO

Huh?!!

Absolutely not is it ever better to lie. That's like saying it's OK to perjure yourself to vote for a family member (for convenience or because everybody lies).

Drafting notes for the AA early means the evidence was so strong that it pointed directly to one individual with the motive, means, and questionable alibi to harm SM.

Other investigators were busy completing due diligence, eliminating other potential suspects while Walker continued to build on exactly where the evidence was leading them.

This wasn't an affidavit composed in a vacuum. If evidence surfaced dismissing BM as the primary suspect, pointing in a different location, that's when the AA would have shifted direction.

OP's statement reminds me of a broken heart mother who after a body was recovered from the river within a mile of his vehicle, his school identification, and his clothing, (later positively identified as her son), mom wants to sue investigators for not continuing to look for her son during the 19 days he was in the morgue, waiting for positive identification. (Facts are he was recovered within 10 days of being reported missing, and formal identification required 19 days because he didn't have a regular dentist and visited countless different clinics, and his dental records were fractured at best).

Investigators and the corner told the mother that the recovered body was very likely her son -- especially given no other young men were known to be missing.

So were investigators supposed to lie here too? Tell mother they recovered a female just to give her false hope? And the publicity equal to Gabby Petito?

Investigators don't invent a narrative. Please, they deserve more credit. :eek:
I think the jury will need to be reminded that Suzanne officially disappeared on May 10, 2020 (though we believe that was the second day). Barry was arrested on Cinco de Mayo....may 5, 2021. That is almost a year to the day after her disappearance. That fact alone demonstrates the LE was in no hurry to arrest Barry...not to mention the fact that they were concerned of his flight risk...and may in fact have expedited the arrest on that basis.
I know it appears hypocritical of Suzanne to have been pre-occupied with whether or not BM was having an affair....But I don't think her focus was on betrayal and how that would or did hurt her...not an emotional motive on her part. I think it would have taken that level of "Gotcha" for Suzanne to be able to leave the marriage, in her mind. Barry wasn't going to give her a divorce due to "irreconcilable differences"....She tried that already...and had given up (recall the text to SO about "he's too good of a manipulator"). If she could document an affair....she would have the trump card necessary to force a split, imo. That was her motive. Over time...even that wasn't working out as she planned...and told SO that she hoped he would find somebody so they could go their separate ways. I think the emotional component was long gone....she would not have been hurt by his affair...it would be the Get Out of Jail Free card she was hoping for....Sadly...it didn't work out that way.

page 59
Woah. Fighting words.
What stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads