Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been thinking lately that all of us should read the AA again before the trial and come up with a list of “Barryisms”, or “Barry’s lies”, or “Barry’s odd behaviors”.

As it is, we have a whole zoo reminding us of his weirdness.

Maybe we can keep a tab weekly of how many believe he will be convicted of murder one and how many believe he will be acquitted.
Personally, I think the odds of a guilty verdict are around 85%. I wish they were higher, but there's no telling how this plays out, or how a jury will see things.

Once trial comes however, we'll have a much better feel for how things are going, so I hope that changes.

I do love that lead prosecutor Hurlbert, and this case would be the feather in his cap.

I just hope DA Stanley leaves the ball in his court.

Which reminds me - if a mountain lion were even in consideration by LE, Fish & Game would be called and there would be a report.
Is there one?
I think if there had been any indication that a wild animal was involved then the Sheriff would have called CPW Colorado Parks and Wildlife. But there was absolutely no evidence of that - no blood or drag marks, no sign ( scat or animal poop) near the bike scene or where the helmet was found. And of course there weren’t any of SM’s clothing found which an animal wouldn’t eat. Wildlife experts also know that a mountain lion doesn’t take their prey very far and they usually take it downhill towards a source of water. The river was right down the ravine from the bike. So Barry makes no sense in saying it could be a possibility.

I just found this in the AA from an interview with LE in either April or May 2021 almost a year after SM went missing.
It’s kinda creepy how he says he’s been tracking a lion for 2 years in the area.
Might explain why he latched on to the scenario from the very beginning.
Did he really think that LE would consider it ?
I’m guessing some of them are hunters or at least know hunters and game wardens and would know better.
Another one of those how the heck did BM think this would work. JMO

Attachments

• 7F7EC889-B200-4488-B1AC-51A901EAC1C7.jpeg
    7F7EC889-B200-4488-B1AC-51A901EAC1C7.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ADE1210F-05CC-4DCF-975F-30FB6D5C85F5.jpeg
    ADE1210F-05CC-4DCF-975F-30FB6D5C85F5.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 27
I think if there had been any indication that a wild animal was involved then the Sheriff would have called CPW Colorado Parks and Wildlife. But there was absolutely no evidence of that - no blood or drag marks, no sign ( scat or animal poop) near the bike scene or where the helmet was found. And of course there weren’t any of SM’s clothing found which an animal wouldn’t eat. Wildlife experts also know that a mountain lion doesn’t take their prey very far and they usually take it downhill towards a source of water. The river was right down the ravine from the bike. So Barry makes no sense in saying it could be a possibility.

I just found this in the AA from an interview with LE in either April or May 2021 almost a year after SM went missing.
It’s kinda creepy how he says he’s been tracking a lion for 2 years in the area.
I’m guessing some of them are hunters or at least know hunters and game wardens and would know better.
Thank you for defending the often maligned Mountain Lion:D

I went back to the CCSO press release of May 13, 2020 and I see that CPW did participate in searches.
It’s my opinion that they weren’t specifically looking for a mountain lion, but appears that LE was following all leads and possible scenarios. JMO

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

I went back to the CCSO press release of May 13, 2020 and I see that CPW did participate in searches.
It’s my opinion that they weren’t specifically looking for a mountain lion, but appears that LE was following all leads and possible scenarios. JMO

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.
I so agree. The problem for Barry was that (aside from a few red herrings from his friends) all tips and evidence led directly back to him.

I'll never forget, there were over 150 tips called in the first 24 hours after her disappearance. That speaks volumes to me.

JMO

Including a recipe section.
Guaranteed to satisfy. 100%.

Cocktails:
Mountain Lyin' Mojitos
Crooked Wall Cosmos
Meth Head Martinis

Appetizers:
Testosterone Grilled Peanut Butter
Bobcat Dip

Entrees:
Weeks-Old Turkey Carcass Casserole
Manly One-Plate Steak
Chipmunk Chili

Desert:
F-350 Granola Bars

I betcha almost a hundred thousand dollars this'll be the tastiest meal served on one plate.
...and the best night ever eating it, 100%
Everytime

You are right. It is creepy how he said he was tracking a lion for two years. I would bet he had no emotion about Suzanne whatsoever while he said it.

Personally, I think the odds of a guilty verdict are around 85%. I wish they were higher, but there's no telling how this plays out, or how a jury will see things.

Once trial comes however, we'll have a much better feel for how things are going, so I hope that changes.

I do love that lead prosecutor Hurlbert, and this case would be the feather in his cap.

I just hope DA Stanley leaves the ball in his court.
I believe if there is any justice in our system anymore, that Barry will be found guilty and sentenced to LWOP. I feel it more strongly than I did about Frazee. That case had KK. This one has so much more circumstantial evidence.
I haven’t read a lot about DA Hurlbert. When I saw Linda Stanley on PE, I thought it was her intention to handle the case herself. Regardless, a jury should be in complete agreement on his guilt, IMO.

I so agree. The problem for Barry was that (aside from a few red herrings from his friends) all tips and evidence led directly back to him.

I'll never forget, there were over 150 tips called in the first 24 hours after her disappearance. That speaks volumes to me.

JMO

ETA - I wonder if there were any calls made before she was officially reported as missing. Maybe calls of concern from Indiana after she missed the 'Zoom' wedding?

Last edited:

His statements are horrifying. He's talking about the mother of his children.

Again, how does he know the mine goes straight down if "they" plugged it? Is Barry the "they"?

I think we need to consider that Barry used his knowledge of the Cat's habits to frame the Cat. If he knows where that den is, that'd be a primo spot for concealment.

But what I find most compelling is his statement about her clothing: that it should've been found.

We know he staged her bike (based on his movements early Sunday morning).

We know he staged her helmet (either during the elk turn or on Tuesday).

We know he listed:

Baby blue bike helmet
Blue biking clothes

Which tells me he staged some blue fabric somewhere. Heck, he probably rolled it around in Cat scat first. Maybe clawed the heck out of it with a garden hand trowel.

Remember how frustrated we were that LE wouldn't tell us what they'd recovered? Article. Item. Article of clothing? Item of... helmet? But we should take great satisfaction now in knowing that it was apparently driving Barry crazy because he didn't know what they'd recovered either! And that tells me he staged more than one thing.

I am almost completely convinced he used a mineshaft. But I think there's a fair chance that, if Suzanne's remains are ever recovered, there will be other animal bones there, too. Primarily an elk but maybe a deer and maybe some torn clothing, completing some of the worst staging known to mankind.

Maybe what ate up most of 4 hours was sweeping his tracks on the way back.

I think Barry caught himself when he identified a sealed mine as a vertical one. He knew he wasn't supposed to know that. Re-read his statement. He stumbles.

But also -- you know what might mask the scent of cadaverine? The overwhelming stench of a rotted elk.

JMO

Last edited:
When this is all over, someone should write a book called "Barry Morphew's Words of Wisdom."

He stated, "We (men) need sex. That's all we need and we'll be good."

"That's the problem with women. They get their little things going between each other and they have no respect for their husbands."

page 59
Neanderthal comes to mind...

Neanderthal comes to mind...
He thinks it serves his interests to say he and Suzanne had sex all the time. He thinks it conveys the idea that they were madly in love, but he shoots himself in the foot when he says things like that (men just need sex).

On the day in question, Suzanne doesn't respond to JL, she doesn't open Sheila's Snapchats, she doesn't text her daughters, or use her phone for anything.

They're having this magical/perfect night, eating a single steak off the same plate (or two steaks on two plates like normal people).

Then they make love and fall asleep.

If Barry and Suzanne had sex that night, it's because he's a necrophiliac.

She was dead.

ETA - I wonder if there were any calls made before she was officially reported as missing. Maybe calls of concern from Indiana when she missed the 'Zoom' wedding?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. We have no way of knowing if her best friend SO tried to reach out to BM or the girls on Sunday but you KNOW she had to be very very concerned, probably panicked. All of a sudden SM stops communication on Saturday afternoon and then misses the wedding on Sunday. Plus the fact that SO knew the state of the marriage.

We do know that SO was interviewed by phone on May 11.
I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that she called LE with her concerns. Instead of them calling her that soon in the investigation.

I hope she can be a key witness to the last proof of life of SM with the drop of communication.

The Defense may be able to keep out some of her statements about prior abuse because the Court ruled them hearsay, but there is concrete evidence about the timeline with her texts and messages that weekend.

When BM was interviewed on May 14 he even said that SM and SO texted and used Snapchat DAILY.. so there’s no denying that.

I do worry about what else the Defense can keep out at Trial and how they will treat SO.
JMO

Attachments

• 2C072D36-93B8-48A8-BD7C-24849AAF4566.jpeg
    2C072D36-93B8-48A8-BD7C-24849AAF4566.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 320823CF-E95D-499F-9D59-AC4E4A452411.jpeg
    320823CF-E95D-499F-9D59-AC4E4A452411.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 5B089ABC-3B70-490C-86FC-7E7E4B1FAFA5.jpeg
    5B089ABC-3B70-490C-86FC-7E7E4B1FAFA5.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
Did Barry cut through the house twice between 2:44 and 2:47?

What if Suzanne was upstairs when he pulled up? He doesn't see her anywhere on the main floor so rushes back outside? Suzanne may have seen him or heard him --

Doesn't change anything. I just wish we could better map where she was during those final, fatal minutes.

The schematic suggests Barry paused outside her door. Probably just then realizing he'd messed up, should've hit airplane mode in Salida....

But even so, to me, that pause is another peg in premeditation -- he could've stopped. He could've realized how close he was to committing the unthinkable. If he had an ounce of genuine love for the whole person of Suzanne, an ounce of genuine love for those set to grieve the deepest, he would've stopped. But IMO he truly believed he had the right to control the narrative, to control Suzanne's life. Whether or not she got to live it. What she wore, what she ingested, whether she breathed.

And he leaned in. Barreled through the bedroom door and incapicated the woman who had once been his bride...

It is devastating that, likely in the moment before her eyes clouded over, she got clarity. She saw him for what he was.

People, she gouged his arm. This was up, close and personal. If any of those scratches on his hands came from her, then he was bare handed.... I fear he finished what the sedative started. With his bare hands.

The same bare hands he's touching others with.

Skipping into the courthouse. Cozying up at the Antler Hotel. Getting chummy with his defense attorneys.

It's too much.

It's not right.

She needs to be found.

JMO

ETA - I wonder if there were any calls made before she was officially reported as missing. Maybe calls of concern from Indiana after she missed the 'Zoom' wedding?
IMO this is an excellent point. Surely SO reached out to the daughters or Barry if not LE. Doubt she would reach out to Barry but she had a full plate that weekend with her daughter’s wedding and possibly could have assumed Suzanne had come down with Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xGothicBreenax