Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #95

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The spy pen recordings of Suzanne and JL’s conversations, I think these were deliberate. I think Suzanne recorded some of their chats so that she could listen back to them. Her relationship with JL was IMO one of the only sources of happiness in her life so listening back to her calls prolonged those happy feelings. JMO.

I'm curious if they have times/dates on the spy pen recordings. If they have any idea what or in what sequence the deleted recordings came. Like was the Jeff conversation first? Did she delete several of the first ones? Maybe those were trails runs to see how/when it would be triggered to record. We didn't hear about what all of them were though. One was a long truck recording when Barry was listening to true crime stuff, then their argument about money, and then one with Jeff. I believe it was 11 that were recorded. I am curious what the rest of them were.

Sure. Affairs can turn into nasty business. You’ve never heard of one of the parties exposing the affair to the other spouse when the relationship crashes and burns? Out of spite? My friend’s world came crashing down one day when she got a FB friend request from a woman she didn’t know. She exposed the affair she had been having with her husband. IMO

IMO From what we have read over these 90 plus threads and seen and heard from those closest to SM, it does not appear that her recordings on the spy pen would have been to expose her affair with JL, to Jl’s wife. Suzanne was not an intentional chaos maker or drama queen. On another note, IMO, your friends world came crashing down long before she heard from the mistress. The moment her husband made the choice to enter into that affair her world changed, she just didn’t know it.
If the husband did not choose to have the affair there would have been no Facebook message from a mistress. I am sorry for the damage that caused.

I think this is spot on. It really is tragic for many reasons and this I think is one of them. Suzanne desperately want HIM to understand her heart. I think she would have worked and worked and worked on this marriage if he showed ANY effort to be available for her and to understand what she needed.

I don't for one minute believe that she would have even reached out to Jeff if Barry was emotionally there for her or even showed an interesting in trying to work on that. He didn't want to go to therapy. He just wanted her to be who she used to be. It's like he never grew or matured. His behavior is what I might expect from high school boyfriend/girlfriend. Storming off for days, not answering the phone. You have children with this woman for goodness sake. She evolved and grew as a person and realized how toxic this was for her. He refused to work on himself. She tried to tell him what she needed and he threatens to kill himself. It's like anything emotional he is unable to process in a healthy way.

Completely agree.
I think she wanted a marriage that was less transactional and more of a partnership.
It was sad to read his comment that things would have been fine between them if she just went back to who she used to be. She must have felt very lonely and unloved.

Any thoughts about BMs text to Suzanne Saturday May 9th @14:26 stating "Done, headed back?"
If he had been spying or wanting to catch her doing something why give her advance notice he was about to return home?

Also, after moving around the house phone pings show him at the master bedroom door for 2 minutes(?) then phone goes into airplane mode.
Considering the door frame is cracked I suspect he kicked it in initiating what came next.

I'm thinking SM was likely no longer outside but in the master bedroom when he arrived home so no chase throughout house.

Guessing they argued in bedroom and he lost temper and killed her. Suzanne reaching for charging phone to call for help probably precipitated charger pulled from wall then damaged.

However, when he first arrived home he ran around house into garage at which time he most likely grabbed tranquilizer, but if she wasn't outside to see, what would have caused him to grab tranquilizer before standing before locked bedroom door?
This probably doesn't make sense.
Just trying to figure this out...

Barry's own best friend from childhood, Curt, thinks that not only did Barry have at least one affair, but that he also killed Suzanne. (pg. 51 AA). That tells us so much, imo!

"After speaking with Curt on audio recording, Agent Koback walked out to the parking lot with him. Curt turned and said "I think he killed her." Curt further stated Barry's timeline does not make sense: the bike thrown down the embankment, the stuff found along the road was placed and it was like thrown out when Barry was "driving back." Curtis also said if anyone found out about Barry's infidelity, they would all turn on him. Barry also "burnt many bridges" in Indiana, referring to business deals. "

He said all of that on May 12, 2020, just 2 days after Suzanne went missing.

Barry's own best friend from childhood, Curt, thinks that not only did Barry have at least one affair, but that he also killed Suzanne. (pg. 51 AA). That tells us so much, imo!

"After speaking with Curt on audio recording, Agent Koback walked out to the parking lot with him. Curt turned and said "I think he killed her." Curt further stated Barry's timeline does not make sense: the bike thrown down the embankment, the stuff found along the road was placed and it was like thrown out when Barry was "driving back." Curtis also said if anyone found out about Barry's infidelity, they would all turn on him. Barry also "burnt many bridges" in Indiana, referring to business deals. "

He said all of that on May 12, 2020, just 2 days after Suzanne went missing.

That is very telling! I think likely one reason LE looked to him so early is what his daughters BF said, what his own friends said, what Suzanne's sister said, and his actions when he pulled up immediately at the bike scene.

Thank you.

This press release then, IMO, was LE not believing SM’s friend(s) were being honest with them about the affair. LE was calling them out. However, it appears they really did not know. IMO

Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff
“In one aspect of the case, the task force continues to focus on Suzanne Morphew’s social media presence as part of the investigation. Investigators say Suzanne kept in touch with friends she loved dearly. They also believe that sometimes in these types of cases that people don’t come forward with information for concern that they may get someone in trouble. To those who may be fearful to come forward, they can reach out anonymously. Once investigators know your concerns, they can address them.

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”
They should have said, we are talking to you, Jeff.

It seems LE is encouraging someone to come forward rather than not believing SM friends' testimony
Yes, I agree. IMO, LE were trying to identify the person/male voice heard conversing with Suzanne on the recovered spy pen. IOW, a direct appeal to that person, who we now know to be JL, to come forward.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Thank you.

This press release then, IMO, was LE not believing SM’s friend(s) were being honest with them about the affair. LE was calling them out. However, it appears they really did not know. IMO

Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff

They knew it was true because the spy pen captured their conversation. I couldn't figure out who Jeff was and was trying to get him to come forward. I think they finally figured out who he was on their own. They don't have her actual phone so they were relying on the cloud I believe so they had a difficult time getting the info on how they were communicating. Remember they used Linkedin and Whatsapp.

“In one aspect of the case, the task force continues to focus on Suzanne Morphew’s social media presence as part of the investigation. Investigators say Suzanne kept in touch with friends she loved dearly. They also believe that sometimes in these types of cases that people don’t come forward with information for concern that they may get someone in trouble. To those who may be fearful to come forward, they can reach out anonymously. Once investigators know your concerns, they can address them.

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”
They should have said, we are talking to you, Jeff.

Bet the Sheriff’s Office really wanted to begin their statement with "Jeff, give us a call."

ETA:
I miss Spezze.
He seemed genuinely concerned about solving this case and something about his demeanor was reassuring.
JMO

ETA#2:
Not to imply the opposite regarding the DA
Just that Spezze seemed to run a tight ship and his reserved demeanor seemed to show experience and maturity

Last edited:
The spy pen is very interesting....IMO.

It is one of several pieces of potential evidence that the state may introduce that could get tomoe nage'd by the defense. Meaning they grab onto it and flip it backwards for their own purposes.

In this case to show projection and preparation by the victim.

The victim was accusing the defendant of having an affiar, when she was the one having an affair for several years. The pen was an effort to "catch" him cheating to accelarate the end of the marriage.

The victim was preparing to divorce the defendant and perhaps start a new life with the person she was having an affair with. The pen was part of that. Was it really an accident that there was a recording of a conversation with this "other" man on there? The person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with...who was also married with children. Perhaps it wasn't accidentally recorded?

The pen was part of the victim's plan to get out of a bad marriage and onto a life with a person she truly loved. However, it appears that the pen did not document any cheating by the defendant, nor does it have any information that proves the defendant killed the victim.

IMO the defense will only make these sort of arguments about the pen if the state tries to establish a "controlling husband" narrative about the defendant. Like having a witness testify as to why the pen was purchased, etc.

It will be interesting to how see how both the state and defense treats this pen at trial....IMO
With respect, her affair wasn’t several years. It was two years. A little less than two actually. And she only saw him six times, maybe seven? That’s what, every four months? This affair was more of her wanting someone to care for her, I think, the way her husband never did.

Back to May 9th

Barry going to garage and possibly grabbing tranquilizer dart before going to master bedroom imo shows premeditation
But...
He gave her that heads up "Done coming home" text and if premeditated why do that or break master bedroom door? Just patiently wait to overtake at later time...

Thank you.

This press release was Nov 10th, maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment. At this point LE had finally (just recently) identified and spoke with Jeff ( Nov 4th) after 6 months of investigating.

I'm thinking once Jeff relayed all the different ways they communicated not just the phone and obviously they didn't find anything on Suzanne's FB messaging etc. They only had the spy pen...nothing else.

I can hear that weasel now.... "I think it was only me....."

Hence the alarming presser..."Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information..."

ETA: @Kemug has already allocated weasel space, we are good.

Last edited:
This press release was Nov 10th, maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment. At this point LE had finally (just recently) identified and spoke with Jeff ( Nov 4th) after 6 months of investigating.

I'm thinking once Jeff relayed all the different ways they communicated, not just phone and obviously they didn't find anything on Suzanne's FB messaging etc. Seems they only had the spy pen...nothing else.

I can hear that weasel now.... "I think it was only me....."

Hence the alarming presser..."Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information..."

I always assumed LE was appealing to her “friends she loved dearly” to come forward with info that they thought might get them into trouble-like knowledge of the affair. I thought at this point LE only knew of a unidentified male SM was talking to. Your explanation with dates make more sense- thank you. IMO

With respect, her affair wasn’t several years. It was two years. A little less than two actually. And she only saw him six times, maybe seven? That’s what, every four months? This affair was more of her wanting someone to care for her, I think, the way her husband never did.

Looking at this from the defense point of view. JL is on the stand. IE asks him how many times in what time period Sm traveled out of state to meet him? 6 time in 18 months (from my recollection in the AA). The defense, She was a stay at home mom. Is the ability to take 6 solo out of State trips sound like some one married to a controlling husband?

I’m assuming BM is portrayed by the DA as a controlling husband who suddenly realizes he is losing control and kills SM, in their theory of what happened. How can 6 non family/non business trips in 18 months to meet her lover, not raise reasonable doubt to a juror about BM being a controlling husband. If a juror thinks the DA is not honest about this, why believe him about the rest of the story?

All the above is IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member