Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to weigh in on why the prosecution seems so.. lacking (can't even come up with an appropriate word) in this case? What the actual heck is going on?

A saying just came to mind...

"When people show you who they are, believe them."

What has the prosecution shown?
They do seem a bit lacking o_O

Thank goodness for Barry's 23 interviews!

I can't quote your post from the last thread (if I can I don't know how.. lol) so I'll copy/ paste below.

All these quips are awesome that everyone is posting! I needed this laugh.

I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to go get some paper towels and I'm going to write all these down so I can remember them! Lol!!

I'd like to suggest digging in a dumpster for a receipt to write on. That IS the special way to write these things down! Barry approved.
Yes dear mods, we do go off track now and then, but IMO it is a good thing to add a little humor where we can. In spite of our interest in these cases, and keenness to help justice along, it can be easy to let our other feelings of sorrow, anger, etc wear us down. I suppose it's a bit like wartime songs and whistling, to keep up our spirits. IIRC, there was someone following the Barbara Thomas disappearance who had to stop, it was too much for them. So :):):):):):):)

Ok some details here. It was a lone prosecutor who was late today, and more about the circumstances that led to Cahill's resignation.

Defense attorneys file motion to dismiss Barry Morphew's murder case

<snip>

Former CBI agent Joseph Cahill resigned from the bureau in December amid an internal affairs investigation into the accidental discharge of a gun while he was off-duty at his home. Cahill sustained a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the hand.

John Camper, the director of the CBI, called Cahill's actions "careless or imprudent," resulting in the accidental discharge, according to documents obtained by 9Wants to Know.

In addition, Camper's memorandum states that Cahill lied to investigators looking into what happened.

"I find that he was intentionally misleading in his statements. I am actually more troubled by the lengths he went to in order to support the falsehood," Camper wrote in a Dec. 14, 2021 memo.

The CBI Internal Affairs investigation found that Cahill was attempting to remove a gun-light that he owned from his CBI issued weapon because he said he was planning to resign from the CBI that day.

Cahill bought a new gun-light to attempt to cover his lie when he was interviewed by another CBI agent.

Before admitting to the truth, "Cahill initially lied on four occasions upon being specifically asked when he purchased the new gun-light before correction," the report obtained by 9Wants to Know states.

Morphew's trial is set to begin on April 28 of this year with jury selection and it's expected to last five weeks.

Ok some details here. It was a lone prosecutor who was late today, and more about the circumstances that led to Cahill's resignation.

<snip>

Former CBI agent Joseph Cahill resigned from the bureau in December amid an internal affairs investigation into the accidental discharge of a gun while he was off-duty at his home. Cahill sustained a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the hand.

John Camper, the director of the CBI, called Cahill's actions "careless or imprudent," resulting in the accidental discharge, according to documents obtained by 9Wants to Know.

In addition, Camper's memorandum states that Cahill lied to investigators looking into what happened.

"I find that he was intentionally misleading in his statements. I am actually more troubled by the lengths he went to in order to support the falsehood," Camper wrote in a Dec. 14, 2021 memo.

The CBI Internal Affairs investigation found that Cahill was attempting to remove a gun-light that he owned from his CBI issued weapon because he said he was planning to resign from the CBI that day.

Cahill bought a new gun-light to attempt to cover his lie when he was interviewed by another CBI agent.

Before admitting to the truth, "Cahill initially lied on four occasions upon being specifically asked when he purchased the new gun-light before correction," the report obtained by 9Wants to Know states.

Morphew's trial is set to begin on April 28 of this year with jury selection and it's expected to last five weeks.
Oh dear.

<snip>

I understand questioning the integrity of a CBI Agent involved in a murder investigation, but are the Defense going to try and make the Morphew trial the Cahill trial?

Fremont County plans to send out 1,000 jury summons over the coming weeks with a jury selection process that will likely take several days. The next hearing is scheduled for March 4, where Morphew's defense team said they have already sent out subpoenas to seven people.

On Thursday, Morphew's lawyers told the court the subpoenas include the director of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the deputy director of the CBI and the head of the major crimes unit for the CBI.

I understand questioning the integrity of a CBI Agent involved in a murder investigation, but are the Defense going to try and make the Morphew trial the Cahill trial?

Fremont County plans to send out 1,000 jury summons over the coming weeks with a jury selection process that will likely take several days. The next hearing is scheduled for March 4, where Morphew's defense team said they have already sent out subpoenas to seven people.

On Thursday, Morphew's lawyers told the court the subpoenas include the director of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the deputy director of the CBI and the head of the major crimes unit for the CBI.

Of course they are. They don't have a defense, there is no exculpatory evidence. All they've got is deny and distract.

Very interesting. It sounds like something they'd try. Can't blame them really, they've got nothing else.

They're earning their money that's for sure.

Regarding the subpoenas sent out by defense, why would they want to question the director and deputy director of the CBI? I can see calling the head of the major crimes unit. But the other two are pretty high up the food chain.

Anyone else enjoying humble pie, rich with irony -- the defense feigning umbrage that Cahill should lie (about something completely unrelated to this case)? Kettle, meet black. Cahill's CYA lies are a little pile of pebbles next to the mountain lyin' seated beside them.

It's gonna take me a while to adjust to 4 40 hours.

JMO

<snip>

So the accidental discharge incident that he lied about occurred on the same day that he was going to resign from the CBI?

Why was he planning on resigning from the CBI at that point? Prior to the accidental discharge?

Of course they are. They don't have a defense, there is no exculpatory evidence. All they've got is deny and distract.
Well as usual for me , the inverse of that is prosecution has no forensic evidence and no body and no means. They know when she went missing and I believe that span from Saturday afternoon to the beginning of the search is accurate.

Lol.

NEW: At the end of today’s hearing, Barry Morphew’s defense attorneys told the court they have filed for the dismissal of the murder case, saying prosecutors have mismanaged case

“We really think the court should take severe sanctions, including dismissal,” Morphew’s lawyer said

https://twitter.com/marcsallinger/status/1496989440367075328?s=21

Your honor, the vending machine downstairs ate my dollar. We move to have the charges against our client dismissed.

It'd be laughable if it weren't just so predictable.

As for the data from Suzanne's RR, they would love to have everyone, anyone believe that data is going to blow the case open, exonerate their cLIEnt.

Which it won't.

If anything, it'll sink him when it shows an open and close of a rear door, in perfect sync with Barry's busy cellphone.

But for now, the hurrinado will blow hard.

There is only one question for the jury, really.

If Suzanne was abducted, mauled, water-gotten, why'd Barry lie about working all day, with workers present?

Oh, Barry.

JMO

Regarding the subpoenas sent out by defense, why would they want to question the director and deputy director of the CBI? I can see calling the head of the major crimes unit. But the other two are pretty high up the food chain.
This started in January

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1485778709176995840?s=21
Today was the first of what is expected to be a two-day motions hearing as #BarryMorphew 's attorneys fight to get the case thrown out. The body of #SuzanneMorphew has not been found. Reporters in the courtrm say the couple's two daughters were there supporting their dad

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1485774589690978304?s=21
NEW in #Morphew case: Brady letter from Colorado Bureau of Investigation Director details why one of his agents assigned to the case early on had to resign from CBI. Former Agent Joseph Cahill's personal weapon fired in his home prompting an internal affairs investigation.

Well as usual for me , the inverse of that is prosecution has no forensic evidence and no body and no means. They know when she went missing and I believe that span from Saturday afternoon to the beginning of the search is accurate.

On Saturday afternoon her footprint ceased the moment Barry arrived home. Strangely (or not at all), his phone goes into airplane mode during this time.

Her phone powered down just as he was leaving the house.

His phone and truck activity put him in the driveway an hour before he claimed to have woken up.

You don't see the window here?

In regard to the 3 DNA CODIS Matches from #SuzanneMorphew Range Rover glovebox, Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said "It doesn't have the weight it does that it had in August (during the prelim)."

He said an investigation has ruled them out, but the DNA is still pending at the lab.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1497037588183625732?s=21

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1497037588183625732?s=21

In regard to the 3 DNA CODIS Matches from #SuzanneMorphew Range Rover glovebox, Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said "It doesn't have the weight it does that it had in August (during the prelim)."

He said an investigation has ruled them out, but the DNA is still pending at the lab.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1497038241110925316?s=21
BarryMorphew defense says the prosecutors have not complied with deadlines imposed by the judge for several months like a detailed witness list explaining what type of experts the witness is and their qualifications.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1497039290961956864?s=21
"It's not ok, his rights, #BarryMorphew rights are being violated by the conduct in this courtroom," Attorney Iris Eytan said.

Morphew's defense would like the case to be dismissed altogether.

Judge Ramsey Lama has not issued any sanctions on the prosecution yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice