Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think because CBI’s comment were prior to the arrest and the preliminary. When an arrest warrant is written LE is saying they have a case and are ready to proceed to trial. If the investigators are saying they weren’t ready that is a problem.
The defense is cherry picking Cahill's statements and taking them out of context. I really wish we could've heard his exact words today. The prosecution's response shows how he thought the arrest was rushed as he felt they were getting him to talk.
They'd built up a rapport with Barry and he was slipping, possibly getting close to confessing.
I'm not so sure I blame Cahill. He'd worked a year on the case. I know how I feel about this case and I'm sure most of us feel the same. I can't imagine being in Cahill's shoes. Feeling this><close to breaking bad Barry.
However, I do believe he was preparing to flee and possibly never be found had they not arrested him.
The only reason I&D latched on to his opinion is because they don't have anything else.
I await the new Codis/dna results, as if we hadn't already known better - but it's nice to wrap it up with a pretty bow.

EDITED: Meant to say 'the prosecution's response'. Corrected above.

Last edited:
According to Lauren, Iris slipped up and asked Cahill about mine searches. She didn't realize that those searches came after his arrest.

We knew from the preliminary that one mine had recently been searched, but now we know they have searched multiple.

According to Lauren, Iris slipped up and asked Cahill about mine searches. She didn't realize that those searches came after his arrest.

We knew from the preliminary that one mine had recently been searched, but now we know they have searched multiple.
I think all kinds of people including LE have been searching since day one. It is sad they have not found her in the vicinity.

The defense is cherry picking Cahill's statements and taking them out of context. I really wish we could've heard his exact words today. The defenses response shows how he felt the arrest was rushed as he felt they were getting him to talk.
They'd built up a rapport where Barry was slipping and maybe getting close to confessing.
I'm not so sure I blame Cahill. He'd worked a year on the case. I know how I feel about this case and I'm sure most of us feel the same. I can't imagine being in Cahill's shoes. Feeling this><close to breaking bad Barry.
The only reason I&D latched on to his opinion is because they don't have anything else.
I await the new Codis/dna results, as if we hadn't already known better - but it's nice to wrap it up with a pretty bow.
Thank goodness for Lauren taking notes in the Courtroom or we wouldn’t know anything about the Defense claims.
I haven’t listened to all of this yet, but starting around 25:00 it’s obvious that the Defense is absolutely being misleading about Cahill being demoted or pulled of the case because of his testimony.
And by misleading I mean Lying. JMO

It doesn't sound like the defense scored many points today at all. <modsnip>

Just received results back yesterday from Arizona, and that DNA was excluded. Unknown male DNA could be from a different owner. Experts opinion of all 3 hits were that those were all excluded. So that's it for that DNA.

One big nothingburger. We knew that though.

Someone get Dateline and 48 Hours on the phone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness for Lauren taking notes in the Courtroom or we wouldn’t know anything about the Defense claims.
I haven’t listened to all of this yet, but starting around 25:00 it’s obvious that the Defense is absolutely being misleading about Cahill being demoted or pulled of the case because of his testimony.
I corrected my comment AFTER you quoted me! Dayum! hahah..
I meant the prosecution's response. DOH!

And yes, that's the way E&N roll. It's their job, I get it. I wouldn't want it for all the money in the world.

Basically it sounds like CBI, not just Cahill, had a disagreement with the Sherriff & DA about the timing of the arrest. CBI thought the case would benefit from more time to test additional evidence and review cell phone and financial data that they'd already received and then follow up with witnesses. Making the arrest when they did started the clock and limited their ability to do that.

It sounds like everyone involved thought Barry should be arrested eventually though.

Initially I thought this might be a significant problem for the prosecution. If Cahill had serious doubts about the case and Barry's guilt, then that would allow the defense to call him and essentially use one of the lead investigators to lay out all of the weaknesses in the prosecution's case for them. That would have a lot more impact on the jury then hearing those same arguments from the defense attorneys.

I think they'll still be able to use him to call into question the thoroughness of the investigation and whether LE followed through on other possible leads. But if the sexual assault CODIS hits have really been distinguished from the glove box sample (apparently the results came in yesterday), then that's a significant hit to the defense's ability to point the finger at some unknown other offender.

Barry prays before court begins. Nauseating at best. I’d love to hear what he’s praying for. I could sort of understand it if he were falsely accused, but he’s not. There’s a little verse he should know about praying in private, you know, not broadcasting your piety for others to see. I think he somehow missed that one.

He missed this one too. God will not be mocked. Whatever a man sows, he will reap.

If you listen further, it sounds like his transfer to the marijuana enforcement division was already in the works before the PH (though he didn't know about it), but Linda Stanley did ask that he be removed from the case after his testimony. CBI wanted to keep him on as a consultant on the case even after his transfer because he had worked on it so much.

I think he just doesn’t think about it. He does not believe he is going back to jail. I think the girls choose not to think about the possibilities either, and are trusting what their father has told them. I think he left the child rearing to Suzanne, and was not outwardly abusive to them. One may have idolized him and basked in the glow of being the favorite. The family dynamic may just have been all they have ever known, and we saw how upset Suzanne was on the occasions that the girls were dragged into the spousal disputes. She may have kept up the facade so well that the girls refuse to look further.
I should think that MM2 must have noticed the different family dynamic in her boyfriend's family - I've only heard about him and his father, but I imagine they're all good people.

I think the decision to disappear Suzanne was made the moment BM realized that she was completely and permanently committed to the separation. I also think that when he heard the term "we need to figure this out....civilly" then reality was sealed in his mind. His control over the game board was severed at that point...and the only option was to throw the game board away.
If he ever plays board games, that's probably exactly what he does if he isn't winning! LOL

If you listen further, it sounds like his transfer to the marijuana enforcement division was already in the works before the PH (though he didn't know about it), but Linda Stanley did ask that he be removed from the case after his testimony. CBI wanted to keep him on as a consultant on the case even after his transfer because he had worked on it so much.
Yes. They prepped him for the hearing and his answers weren't up to par during the prelim. It seemed like the consensus was he performed poorly, and it wasn't just Stanley.

Even Cahill seemed to agree that he didn't do well.
Yup. I figured this hearing would be a wash, where I would feel the same coming out as we did going in.

I actually feel more confident than ever. The DNA is out, the defense argument that Cahill's feelings were somehow "exculpatory" is laughable, and it sounds as if that Range Rover data issue has to do more with the FBI than the prosecution.

Onward!

Basically it sounds like CBI, not just Cahill, had a disagreement with the Sherriff & DA about the timing of the arrest. CBI thought the case would benefit from more time to test additional evidence and review cell phone and financial data that they'd already received and then follow up with witnesses. Making the arrest when they did started the clock and limited their ability to do that.

It sounds like everyone involved thought Barry should be arrested eventually though.

RSBM

Right.

The problem i have with this tomfoolery is that they had an internal disagreement about their tactical approach which was resolved in favour of arrest.

But since that time the Preliminary hearing was held, where the evidence was tested in court, and a judge bound the accused over for trial, because there was a case to answer.

In other words, Cahill was proven wrong IMO.

So we can argue about whether the state could perhaps have gathered more evidence for their case or been more effective if they had delayed arrest - but nowhere does this point to any new evidence that goes to BM's innocence

The defence can go down this road at trial if they want, but the idea that the case should be dismissed is laughable. What they are really doing is grandstanding for the media and hoping that someone will say something on the stand that they can use at trial.

This is my beef with all of this. They are being granted multiple extra chances to go on fishing expeditions with prosecution witnesses before the trial even begins.

I find it extremely unusual.

Since I've just stuffed this up (twice!:eek:), I'll just write this as a post instead a reply! Re the "couldn't care less"/"could care less" discussion: I don't know if you've heard this version (courtesy of my son) - "Less is how much I couldn't care." Wrap your grammatical minds around that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381