Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. I don’t know. It can’t and shouldn’t come down to who was more manipulative. Might be dicey for both sides I still think.
Well she's not on trial for murder, soooooo...

Normal people don't threaten suicide to get what they want. That's as extreme as it gets.

But what if your partner regularly threatens suicide, particularly whenever you’re not doing something he or she wants you to do, or when you’re trying to leave the relationship? First, understand that this is a form of emotional abuse: your partner is trying to manipulate you by playing on your feelings of love and fear for them. You might get angry when this happens, but you also might feel like you have to give in to them in order to avoid a potential tragedy.

When Your Partner Threatens Suicide

Coercive Control

Threatening a partner with suicide in order to control them is recognized by intimate partner violence experts and criminal behavioral analysts as part of a larger deadly pattern of abuse called “coercive control.”

If the threat you’re encountering fits as part of this pattern, you can still take their threat seriously using the resources given here, but also learn about what kind of danger you might be in. If it appears that you are in danger, learn how to make a safety plan for leaving. Leaving a relationship is actually the most dangerous time for women. Get help from others and create a safety plan for leaving.

How to Deal with Coercive Suicide Threats

Last edited:
Interesting I just caught that comment about TS sending in a question to FB live. Why is he even watching that FB live recap? I think the fact he is there commenting shows some desperation possibly on that side to keep some in the public on their side. That was one of the only things I saw mentioned by Barry supporters. This DNA being linked to someone that lawyered up.

It's very unfortunate when people believe the word 'DNA' translates to a perfect match as seen on television.

In this case, we know the evidence was a partial DNA profile which is no better than perhaps a single trait of a full profile. We're talking perhaps even the trait of hair color. And what if that hair color is brown-- where 90% of people worldwide have brown or black hair.

It's this type of nonsense the defense hopes to confuse the public and the jury with. I've said it before -- probably 90% of members on this thread are linked to the partial DNA profile from SM's RR!

And I never touched SM's RR. Did you?

Well she's not on trial for murder, soooooo...

Normal people don't threaten suicide to get what they want. That's as extreme as it gets.

But what if your partner regularly threatens suicide, particularly whenever you’re not doing something he or she wants you to do, or when you’re trying to leave the relationship? First, understand that this is a form of emotional abuse: your partner is trying to manipulate you by playing on your feelings of love and fear for them. You might get angry when this happens, but you also might feel like you have to give in to them in order to avoid a potential tragedy.

When Your Partner Threatens Suicide

Coercive Control

Threatening a partner with suicide in order to control them is recognized by intimate partner violence experts and criminal behavioral analysts as part of a larger deadly pattern of abuse called “coercive control.”

If the threat you’re encountering fits as part of this pattern, you can still take their threat seriously using the resources given here, but also learn about what kind of danger you might be in. If it appears that you are in danger, learn how to make a safety plan for leaving. Leaving a relationship is actually the most dangerous time for women. Get help from others and create a safety plan for leaving.

How to Deal with Coercive Suicide Threats
This...is...what...ima...talken...about!!
I went to look for this info and @MassGuy already had it done! Bam!

SM wasn't standing for it anymore. Even to where Barry started calling her "ballsy"!

Page 111 AA

"In this interview, FBI agents showed Barry their audit results and discussed them, directly telling him in the end that Susan was not conscience Saturday evening, May 9th or Sunday morning May 10th, and Barry agreed with, "Yeah."

No way no how am I answering Yeah if someone is telling me I killed my mate. No way no how nada an't happening!

It is instinctive for humans to fight for our rights. He just roles over, agrees with them and says Yeah....
:0/

He agreed because he knew they were right. He took her life on May 9th.

Site actual proof and not conjecture or feeling.
YOUR definition of proof (to which that poster was responding) is incomplete. It does not include the full spectrum of evidence allowed in court. You specify only direct proof (including such physical proof as DNA or blood), but courts also allow circumstantial evidence, incl. phone and vehicle data, analysis and evaluation of that data relative to defendant or victim normal patterns, acts the defendant was seen or surveilled doing that suggest he is concealing or tampering with evidence, and so on.

Courts do this because they recognize that criminals attempt to hide their crimes to avoid the consequences, so they destroy or tamper with or conceal such evidence. Or, they commit their crimes in remote locations where LE and others are very unlikely to find the proof and they use means to get to those locations that are not traceable. To disallow the circumstantial evidence that detects and reveals those efforts is to reward the artful criminal at the cost of the victim and the community in which the criminal lives.

Ashley Franco clarified the DNA issue in her Facebook live. All 3 men were either able to be alibied, or weren't in Colorado at the time.

We're talking about a sample so weak that it had to be uploaded to CODIS via a keyboard search. It coming back to multiple different people should be a clear indicator of how weak it is.

That's ignoring the fact that this sample was found in a vehicle unrelated to this crime. Some random sex offender didn't play some bizarre game of "tag the glovebox," while leaving cash behind.

Even if he did, you still can't separate Barry from this.

As to unidentified DNA that is not in CODIS, we're talking about touch DNA here. It can be found everywhere, and is easily transferred.

Even Barry's DNA on various items doesn't mean much, as the defense can argue that it had a perfectly reasonable excuse for being there.

Just look at the Jason Young case. Foreign DNA was found all over the place, to include items directly next to the crime scene.

He was still convicted, as that evidence didn't cancel out all the damning pieces that made the case against him.

That wasn't a DNA case, and neither is this one.
That doesn't make much sense to me, I thought the CODIS matches were to unsolved sexual assault cases? How did they alibi out unknown people? Or maybe those cases have been solved since the PH?

I’m super curious to see what their defense will be now that they have less to work with. Barry would have been much better off not staging the bike and not calling attention to her possibly being missing as we all know he was gone for long hours at a time for work. He was already in Broomfield he should have waited for someone to notify him, but he couldn’t help himself. Juries are made up of just normal everyday folks who I think will be able to separate and piece together what happened that day, because so much of his reasoning is literally laughable and not even believable for a second. What do you think his defense will be????

Interesting I just caught that comment about TS sending in a question to FB live. Why is he even watching that FB live recap? I think the fact he is there commenting shows some desperation possibly on that side to keep some in the public on their side. That was one of the only things I saw mentioned by Barry supporters. This DNA being linked to someone that lawyered up.
TS just can’t stop himself. I think he enjoys being “known”.

I'm not exactly clear about what has been disallowed by the judge so far and what he has yet to announce a decision about. It seems clear to me that there is plenty of circumstantial evidence pointing the finger squarely at BM and no one else. But, will experts who are knowledgeable about normal marital breakup behavior vs. dangerous behavior be allowed in?

So far the statements this judge has made worry me. Surely he doesn't think BM's behavior as documented in the AA (and not just in the stuff the judge won't allow in) is normal "husband resistant to divorce" behavior?

I hope the Prosecution can manage to get something in about what the distinction is between ordinary marital discord with disengagement (when partners are far from their best behavior, seen in loads of divorces and separations in this country every day) and what was happening here. What was happening here were behaviors that demonstrate the relationship has entered the "Danger" zone because one partner steadfastly refuses to ALLOW a change the other has every right to have and that one partner will go to extraordinary lengths to prevent that change. They are things that occur in a territory of behavior that require crossing boundaries that MOST people won't cross. And that territory is where crimes toward intimate partners occur.

To roughly illustrate:
View attachment 335736

ETA: Defense attorneys seem to keep attempting to put SM and BM on par with their behaviors. I would argue that SM entered the "UNHEALTHY" relationship territory on that spectrum I posted and that is where unfortunately too many with failing marriages go. But, BM had crossed the red line. ETA: What's more, as "the husband," he felt entitled to cross that red line.
The clinical psychologist is disallowed as documented. In general characterization is not allowed in trials. Anything claimed to have been said is disallowed as hearsay. Texts, with dates and time stamps I think will be allowed so I am assuming Barry and Suzanne’s texts back and forth and any texts either send to others would be allowed. It was alittle unclear but that was my takeaway. I have said before I think it won’t be difficult for a jury to understand their marriage was crumbling and Suzanne wanted a divorce and Barry did not want a divorce.

The clinical psychologist is disallowed as documented. In general characterization is not allowed in trials. Anything claimed to have been said is disallowed as hearsay. Texts, with dates and time stamps I think will be allowed so I am assuming Barry and Suzanne’s texts back and forth and any texts either send to others would be allowed. It was alittle unclear but that was my takeaway. I have said before I think it won’t be difficult for a jury to understand their marriage was crumbling and Suzanne wanted a divorce and Barry did not want a divorce.
"A" clinical psychologist is disallowed, but are ALL clinical psychologists disallowed?

Since BM's responses to SM's clear statement she was done are so extreme and abnormal (so much so that BM deleted them), will an expert be allowed in to describe that such extreme and abnormal behavior is abusive and in the context of a partner who has announced it is over, such abusive behavior is a red flag for other dangerous behavior, particularly when it does not get the response the abuser intended? BM himself admitted to LE that he sent those texts to hurt SM in an effort to get her to behave as he wanted.

Will this judge leave it to the jury to recognize when abuse in an attempt to control was a red flag?

If this were a dead child rather than a dead spouse, would the judge be so restrictive?

Yes hard to sleep knowing how calm he was. Just walked through neighborhood, picked a house, had nothing against the victims. Just planned a way to break in and that was it. He said he was obsessed until he had taken that life. Makes you cringe.
Yes, BTK, an awful case. But the two children! - that is totally unforgiveable. Beats me how his daughter still stays in contact.

Last edited:
That doesn't make much sense to me, I thought the CODIS matches were to unsolved sexual assault cases? How did they alibi out unknown people? Or maybe those cases have been solved since the PH?
I think this is the Range Rover dna. There was other dna on the bike but it was the Range Rover dna that triggered codis hits related to sexual assaults. Although prosecution said earlier that it didn’t yield anything it was revealed at the Motions hearing last week that prosecution just got the results on Thursday for the Arizona match.

I think prosecution could put a good case together but I am not sure they “can”.The best gift the judge could give them is to send them back to the drawing board but my guess is he won’t. CBI for the most told defense what they got is what there is so it is still even minus the DNA not a slam dunk and there wont be any crazy aha moments in my opinion. I could sit here and opine on the arguments for both sides but we are so close to trial I am just going to watch it play out. Personally I do wish prosecution went for manslaughter because it is difficult to believe this is an all or nothing trial. But maybe it will be a hung jury. It will be an interesting spring.
I have seen many trials where they changed the charges, right up to the day the jury was going into discussions. I have seen them add lower grade charges, like for second degree murder or for manslaughter at the very last minute. So we don't know for sure that this will stay as a 'all or nothing' trial. JMO

I'm another one who finds the almost gleeful entrances to court to be offensive. He's going to trial for murdering his wife, whom he claimed was the love of his life. I wonder what they find so very amusing.
If I was totally innocent, and yet I was on trial for murdering my missing husband, I don't think I would be smiling like a Cheshire Cat, and skipping into court with my 2 children, hand in hand. I think I would look seriously concerned and intent, hoping to prove my innocence. I think I would be taking it seriously, not acting like it was no big thing and pretending I was unfazed. JMO

Coercive Control: 12 Signs and How to Get Out

Several examples of behavior exhibited by Barry here:

2. Monitoring your activity throughout the day

“Abusers pursue coercive control through attempts to make themselves omnipresent,” says Wendy L. Patrick, PhD, a career trial attorney and expert in criminal law.

They do this by wiring your house with cameras or recording devices, sometimes using two-way surveillance to speak to you at home during the day.

7. Reinforcing traditional gender roles

Regardless of the type of relationship you have, your partner may try to make a distinction between who functions as the man and the woman in the relationship.

They’ll attempt to justify that women are homemakers and mothers, while men are the breadwinners. Using this argument, they may coerce you into taking care of all the cleaning, cooking, and childcare.

8. Turning your kids against you

If you have children, either with the abuser or someone else, they may try to weaponize the children against you by telling them you’re a bad parent or belittling you in front of them.

This attitude can create a rift in the relationship between you and your kids, and may make you feel powerless.

"A" clinical psychologist is disallowed, but are ALL clinical psychologists disallowed?

Since BM's responses to SM's clear statement she was done are so extreme and abnormal (so much so that BM deleted them), will an expert be allowed in to describe that such extreme and abnormal behavior is abusive and in the context of a partner who has announced it is over, such abusive behavior is a red flag for other dangerous behavior, particularly when it does not get the response the abuser intended? BM himself admitted to LE that he sent those texts to hurt SM in an effort to get her to behave as he wanted.

Will this judge leave it to the jury to recognize when abuse in an attempt to control was a red flag?

If this were a dead child rather than a dead spouse, would the judge be so restrictive?
The judge will determine what constitutes non-allowed characterization vs circumstantial evidence. I think it tough with this case because sone of the chatter has been characterization and behavioral theory and some of that was also captured in the arrest warrant along with some hearsay.

IMO, she's referring to the meth-heads that BM hires. Essentially his entire workforce where once he's used them for his professional and personal needs, he instantly relies on the alleged druggie excuse as to why they're no longer employed by him (a la JP, CL, and MG)...
That's exactly who I first thought of, as well. I think he hires them because they work cheap and are not already employed by others. Then he can tell others, like his sister, that he only hired that meth freak because he wanted to mentor him and help him find God. :rolleyes:

I'd like to hire JP or MG to mentor Barry. They know about being truthful and maybe he could learn a thing or two.

My apologies to JP and MG.

JMO

Yes and you know what I’m going to say - that sucks there’s no recovered biological evidence in this case.

I do remember in the AA it appears like LE did their due diligence checking flight records, social security administration, DHS and other checks over a period of time on SM to make sure there were no hits of her being out there somewhere alive. IMO

There is not always going to be biological evidence found---especially in cases where the killer premeditates and has things somewhat planned out. If a perp drugs someone, and is able to take them out of the home unconscious, there will not be any bio evidence in the home. Even idiots can figure that out, if they have extensive hunting experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashnic86