Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll shorten this up a bit...

Thursday, March 10th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 54) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. The possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) charge has been severed from other charges. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21.
Trial set to begin on 4/28/22 with jury selection for 2 days, with motion hearing also on 4/29/22 & trial begins on 5/3/22 thru 6/3/22 & was moved from Chaffee County to Fremont County in Cañon City.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Felony forgery charges will be addressed after murder trial.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 2/24/22 reference post #189 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

2/9/22: Defense's Supplement to Motion for Sanctions [D-17(c)]. Exhibit A, B & C [D-17(C)]. 2/23/22: State's response to defense supplement to Motion for Sanctions [D-17(c)]. 2/24/22: Notice filed Event ID #000128. The people of the State of Colorado: Notice of withdrawal of attorney Daniel Edwards.
3/4/22 Update: Judge hears defense's case to dismiss murder charges.
for more info see post #316 here:
Defense Motion to Dismiss & The State’s Response are included in full.
for more info see post #660 here:
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Defense Witnesses: Director & Deputy Director of CBI Commander Alex Walker.
for more info see post #281 here:
Former CBI agent Joseph Cahill.
for more info see post #281 here:
Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze.
for more info see posts #325 & 358 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97 and page 18
Missing from posts: Agent in charge of major crimes at CBI Kirby Lewis, Lead agent Derek Graham & DA Linda Stanley.
They argued “exculpatory evidence” was hidden from the court & defense attorneys up until recently. Judge Lama has not yet ruled on the motion.
For more info see video on post #446 here:
and post #468 here:
for more hearing info see posts #661 & 662 here:
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Next motions hearing on 3/10/22. Pretrial readiness conference hearing on 4/19/22 & jury selection begins on 4/28/22.

3/8/22: In the defense’s latest motion, they are asking the Court to dismiss a 1st degree murder case because a former CBI Agent, who has been thoroughly discredited, has opined on the timing of arresting the defendant in this case. Response to Defense Supplement to Motion for Sanctions [D-17(c)] filed 2/23/22.

I agree it's odd. It would be interesting to know where they got that information since there is no legal proof yet that she is deceased or has been murdered or that there was domestic violence in the family. It was added after the original charges as a sentence enhancer. Just premature reporting for an important and poignant document. Unfortunately and sadly it adds to the arsenal of defense legal teams in terms of prematurity of this case.

The standard/burden of proof in a criminal trial does not apply in other civil and administrative contexts.

Especially the question of whether SM is deceased or murdered has been determined by the state based on evidence for its own purposes. The trial determines only if BM shall be held criminally responsible or not.

Especially BM will not be found innocent.

I had the same uneasiness. I felt that it left the state vulnerable to include Suzanne in that before anything was proven in the courts, regardless of what most believe. JMO.

The state has already told the entire world SM was murdered by BM, and filed charges in that regard.

In what way does the content of a statistical/analytical report leave the state vulnerable?

We already know the state have concluded SM was murdered in a domestic context.

Updated the truck data spreadsheet and map from the data in the PH defense exhibits. Still have more to add, it's just a PITA to do the editing after conversion. Parking lights, system logs, and door events are listed.

Don't recall who it was, but someone had suggested that the excessive parking light info was the key fob locking or unlocking the door, that does seem to be the case, lots of corresponding events.

Barry's Truck Events

Barry's Truck Events - Google My Maps

Wow!

What the hell was he doing between 1am-2am approx?

GPS suggests the truck was moved at 3.26am?

ETA - or do we have to subtract 6 hours?

ETA2 - it would certainly seem he disabled the truck data before he left home - this is a hugely suspicious IMO. I really can't wait for the expert evidence on this ...

Last edited:
I wonder if Barry might have persuaded the girls that Suzanne voluntarily left (ie is still alive) but staged the bike, the phone gone quiet, etc herself specifically in order to frame/hurt him.

To clarify, I'm not in any way suggesting she did this, but I'm wondering if the girls might believe him if that's what he claims happened. That way he is the persecuted party whom they can support unequivocally, and while they might feel hurt at the idea of their mom "abandoning" them, they don't need, in this scenario, to deal with the grief of her death by whatever means.
bbm
However, Barry wanted "to grieve with his daughters as a family" in Gunnison. ;)

It worries me that Barry is laughing and joking, while knowing that LE are still searching the old mines.

SUZANNE might be in a mine, but BM would expect that those would definitely be searched. Especially the ones close to Puma Path.

My thought from the beginning is that SUZANNE is somewhere in the national forest to the south of the Puma Path property. Good moonlight the night of May 9, no other dwellings behind the Morphew house, sneak up, sneak back down.

I think the men BM mentored were probably done so with an ulterior motive... cheap labor.
Many may have had criminal records or bad references which would make them desperate for employment and willing to work for less than market wages.

Definitely agree with the ulterior motive.

Like we use quotation marks around “bike ride” as related to SUZANNE’s disappearance, we need to use them around “mentor” whenever the word is used in conjunction with BM. As if.

The state has already told the entire world SM was murdered by BM, and filed charges in that regard.

In what way does the content of a statistical/analytical report leave the state vulnerable?

We already know the state have concluded SM was murdered in a domestic context.
By including Suzanne as a DV victim in a written report, my concern is that the state may be open to charges of libel.
I believe the state has concluded that there is enough evidence to charge and try him for murder.
The state — being the people of CO — have not yet convicted him.
JMO

By including Suzanne as a DV victim in a written report, my concern is that the state may be open to charges of libel.
I believe the state has concluded that there is enough evidence to charge and try him for murder.
The state — being the people of CO — have not yet convicted him.
JMO
Perhaps someone was over zealous....but that has been ongoing with this case. Overamplification perhaps. We've probably all seen it happen with social actions. I'm sure it's in the appeal team and the intent to sue teams' file folders. If it ever comes up as part of legal actions I'm not sure that Suzanne will be protected as well as she is in the criminal case.

I would not have done that search either were I Barry. It was abit of a circus and I had a friend who was in that search that week. He was well intentioned but was vocal about his feelings on top of everything else.
BM had a similar comment, that it was a media circus or publicity stunt or something. Both you and BM seem to assume GM was not sincerely looking for his wife, that he knew he would not find her remains and only wanted an opportunity to publicize her disappearance and prejudice the community against BM.

Assuming that GM did not sincerely seek to find SM - an assumption I find dubious, I still question his decision not to participate, and your support for that decision.

Let's assume BM is what he claims to be - a devout Christian man who is innocent of wrongdoing and who has sincerely and diligently searched for his wife and cooperated with LE. And let's also assume GM has "trespassed against" him by expressing his fear that his sister is dead, and the victim of domestic violence.

Why would such a man, who recites often the Lord's Prayer, not forgive a family member who trespassed against him, at least enough to assist in the search as a gesture of goodwill and a demonstration of his commitment to find SM?

BM did great harm to his carefully crafted image by refusing to participate in GM's search and instead meeting the searchers at the border of his property with a shotgun and a warning. MOO.

BM had a similar comment, that it was a media circus or publicity stunt or something. Both you and BM seem to assume GM was not sincerely looking for his wife, that he knew he would not find her remains and only wanted an opportunity to publicize her disappearance and prejudice the community against BM.

Assuming that GM did not sincerely seek to find SM - an assumption I find dubious, I still question his decision not to participate, and your support for that decision.

Let's assume BM is what he claims to be - a devout Christian man who is innocent of wrongdoing and who has sincerely and diligently searched for his wife and cooperated with LE. And let's also assume GM has "trespassed against" him by expressing his fear that his sister is dead, and the victim of domestic violence.

Why would such a man, who recites often the Lord's Prayer, not forgive a family member who trespassed against him, at least enough to assist in the search as a gesture of goodwill and a demonstration of his commitment to find SM?

BM did great harm to his carefully crafted image by refusing to participate in GM's search and instead meeting the searchers at the border of his property with a shotgun and a warning. MOO.

I think AM was genuine in his attempt. And perhaps if it hadn't become a media circus or if AM would have kept his opinions to himself or at least not broadcast them, BM might have participated...I don't know if we'll ever know. In the end it was no harm no foul and it did yield at least one dog and CBI search at Longhorn. It made people feel good and made them feel like they were helping so not all negative. I would be afraid some nut job would show up and shoot me so there is no way in heck I would have gone anywhere there were crowds during that period of time.

Wow!

What the hell was he doing between 1am-2am approx?

GPS suggests the truck was moved at 3.26am?

ETA - or do we have to subtract 6 hours?

ETA2 - it would certainly seem he disabled the truck data before he left home - this is a hugely suspicious IMO. I really can't wait for the expert evidence on this ...

UTC -6 is the column for the correct time in Colorado in May.

For someone who was having the perfect evening with his wife, having sex and steak on a single plate, he sure was busy fooling with his truck. How did he even find the time between opening doors and turning his parking lights off and on?
This is just my opinion of course…

Barry said he fell asleep after sex and didn’t notice if Suzanne had put on clothes. So IF he was sleeping, as most men do, why does his truck data show him up at 1AM? Hmm, lie much Barry?
We know Suzanne was dead by that time. Any women on the jury will know it too.

This is just my opinion of course…

Barry said he fell asleep after sex and didn’t notice if Suzanne had put on clothes. So IF he was sleeping, as most men do, why does his truck data show him up at 1AM? Hmm, lie much Barry?
We know Suzanne was dead by that time. Any women on the jury will know it too.
So.....not only was Suzanne abducted, while bike-riding in 38 degree weather...but the abductor went so far as to frame Barry beforehand by tinkering with his truck in the middle of the night? The nerve of some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb