Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
50 degrees F on Monarch Mountain today and it’s forecasted to be about 50 every day for the next week. Areas that have sun on them should melt pretty soon, but shaded north facing areas can take a lot longer to melt.
Well if you were hiding a body, I would say you would hide it on the north facing side. Right? I hope LE finds Suzanne and the DA gets their man this summer. I hate knowing he walks freely among us.

Barry said he drove all the way to Garfield to turn around. That makes no sense.

IMO he went somewhere else.

I am near certain his last actions involved Suzanne's phone, including powering it down. I think he was sitting in his truck in the driveway when he did it.

Helmet and phone.

And perhaps unrecovered clothing.

Where. Did. He. Drive. To?

If I'm not mistaken, as soon as he was done, he took his phone out of airplane mode and continued on to Broomfield.

Wherever he went, IMO, Suzanne will be found in an opposite location.

JMO
On which way was BM, which direction did BM drive, when MG heard his roaring truck at her home on early Sunday morning?

Well if you were hiding a body, I would say you would hide it on the north facing side. Right? I hope LE finds Suzanne and the DA gets their man this summer. I hate knowing he walks freely among us.
I suspect it will take a couple of weeks to melt 5’ of snow. The lows on Monarch Mountain are cold, down in the mid 20s at night.

One thing I'm stuck on though is if there is 5 feet now, then was there 5 feet in May 2020? I did see some weather history data that shows Spring of 2020 as having less snow than usual, but less doesn't mean none. How did he get her buried in even say 2 or 3 feet of snow? Did he move her later or have a hole dug way prior, or did he not bury her like I am thinking by digging a big hole. So many questions.

One thing I'm stuck on though is if there is 5 feet now, then was there 5 feet in May 2020? I did see some weather history data that shows Spring of 2020 as having less snow than usual, but less doesn't mean none. How did he get her buried in even say 2 or 3 feet of snow? Did he move her later or have a hole dug way prior, or did he not bury her like I am thinking by digging a big hole. So many questions.
I was in Colorado (stayed in Louisville, right next to Broomfield 2 nights) last June. When we went west into the mountains there were feet of snow at elevation, even more where the snow was insulated by trees.

Perhaps Barry didn’t dig a hole, maybe he dropped her down a mineshaft. I’m not educated on mine searches, but I’m guessing some type of platform will need to be constructed around the hole for stability. I doubt the platform can be built on top of snow.

Perhaps Barry didn’t dig a hole, maybe he dropped her down a mineshaft. I’m not educated on mine searches, but I’m guessing some type of platform will need to be constructed around the hole for stability. I doubt the platform can be built on top of snow.
I’m also curious about snow being in the same area (wherever that really is) as it was in May of 2020. It would be easy I think to dump someone in a mine. But I always felt he did some planning, had a predug hole and landscaped it afterward.

Can you imagine how the new owners of his Indiana home feel now knowing their pretty piece of property has furniture all over it buried in the ground?

Let that sink in for a moment. It’s really a sick mind that does that.

When I think of the Peoples Motion to Dismiss -- more specifically the following words in the motion: ...

As a result, the People cannot safely excavate this area and resolve this unanswered question....

I'm reminded of the MI case last year of missing student Brendan Santo who went missing on Oct 31, 2021, and was not recovered from the river behind a dorm until January 2022.

Although investigators believed the victim was likely trapped beneath ice at a log jam, it wasn't until a private investigator (using underwater cameras and surveillance equipment) had an image of the body underwater at the log jam that LE physically recovered the remains from the given location.

For weeks there had been much criticism of the county sheriff for not searching and/or recovering the body sooner but for 80 days the explanation was similar -- authorities did not believe they could safely navigate a boat or divers into the water during that period (i.e., risking lives) versus entering the water when they had the actual location of the body.

In other words, state investigators are not necessarily free to roam as they please but also have to answer to state bureaucracy with their finger on risk analysis and taxpayer-financed claims. MOO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...49-34 Motion to Dismiss Without Prejudice.pdf

Body believed to be missing GVSU student found in Red Cedar Riverr

Although closed for the season, Monarch Mountain webcams are live and currently reporting snow base at 64" -- the mountain is only minutes from PP residence.

Conditions - Monarch Mountain
That page says last updated 4/20/22. Eight days ago. So hopefully it's melted off at least a bit from that 64" since then.

Also, even if it's below freezing at night, if it's above freezing during the day, the melting process will move forward, even if slowly. Snowpacks compress as time passes and temperatures warm, they get "ripe" and then can melt off pretty quickly when conditions are right.

The western US is in dire drought, so I don't really want to "wish" for fast melt, but we can at least wish for fast melt near Salida specifically... :cool:

Because the last few weeks of snowmelt each year aren't really linear to the rest of the season, you can't really compare to the timing of last year's melt to know how much snow would have been there on 5/9, without knowing that all other conditions last year were precisely the same as this year, which they probably weren't.

MOO

Last edited:
Snow around whatever actual site they are planning to search may not be as big a problem as access to the site.

This happens a lot with people who hike in the high country and are reported missing. Until conditions are safe enough to travel by road or trail (no coming snow storms predicted, avalanche awareness, safe for equipment, etc.), SAR has to wait, often to the frustration of friends and loved ones.

Chaffee County has two SAR teams with knowledge and experience to help. Their contacts are here:

LCSAR - Colorado SAR Teams

I think they can get up in elevation by late May or June even with snowpack still significant at a mine or other site.

It would be great to hear from someone with local SAR on this.

JMO

Last edited:
When I think of the Peoples Motion to Dismiss -- more specifically the following words in the motion: ...

As a result, the People cannot safely excavate this area and resolve this unanswered question....

I'm reminded of the MI case last year of missing student Brendan Santo who went missing on Oct 31, 2021, and was not recovered from the river behind a dorm until January 2022.

Although investigators believed the victim was likely trapped beneath ice at a log jam, it wasn't until a private investigator (using underwater cameras and surveillance equipment) had an image of the body underwater at the log jam that LE physically recovered the remains from the given location.

For weeks there had been much criticism of the county sheriff for not searching and/or recovering the body sooner but for 80 days the explanation was similar -- authorities did not believe they could safely navigate a boat or divers into the water during that period (i.e., risking lives) versus entering the water when they had the actual location of the body.

In other words, state investigators are not necessarily free to roam as they please but also have to answer to state bureaucracy with their finger on risk analysis and taxpayer-financed claims. MOO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Freemont/Morphew/2022-04-19 08-49-34 Motion to Dismiss Without Prejudice.pdf

Body believed to be missing GVSU student found in Red Cedar Riverr

Thank you for mentioning this angle. This makes sense. I guess Barry wasn't concerned with safety nor would he have been concerned with losing evidence under the snow, he just did what he did. LE really has all the time they need to wait for snow to melt and maybe part of what they are doing is watching him. Did he show any sign of concern when that was announced.. what are his actions now? I'm sure if they definitely have an area in mind, then they are watching it either with cameras or some other way.

Saw a random tweet today nestled in-between Colorado reporters I follow-- for anybody that watches Good Morning America (ABC I think), seems that BM's defense attorney IE is expected to appear if not tomorrow, then maybe next week.

We should be prepared for an influx of visitors joining the thread with only one side of the story, the case according to Iris.

(Tweet was not by an approved MSM reporter but if you search Iris Eytan, it will probably pop up between tweets by our favorite Colorado reporters on the case). MOO

I have felt all along he had a site prepared in advance and she is within 1 mile of their home. I think he either carried her to the location or used an ATV to get her there. My alternative theory is he placed her in a cooler and hid the cooler. He later went back and moved it to a remote location far away from their home. I think he did it but they will never convict him.

Saw a random tweet today nestled in-between Colorado reporters I follow-- for anybody that watches Good Morning America (ABC I think), seems that BM's defense attorney IE is expected to appear if not tomorrow, then maybe next week.

We should be prepared for an influx of visitors joining the thread with only one side of the story, the case according to Iris.

(Tweet was not by an approved MSM reporter but if you search Iris Eytan, it will probably pop up between tweets by our favorite Colorado reporters on the case). MOO
BRING IT!

They can read the AA and ask themselves a few questions about their assumptions. We should compile a "Best of Posts" list by @MassGuy. Hard to refute his pointed fact statements taken directly from the circumstantial evidence and ole Bare's overactive mouth that logically lead straight to conviction.

Motive + opportunity really kicks all the obfuscation & defense lies right in the butt.

JMO

BRING IT!

They can read the AA and ask themselves a few questions about their assumptions. We should compile a "Best of Posts" list by @MassGuy. Hard to refute his pointed fact statements taken directly from the circumstantial evidence and ole Bare's overactive mouth that logically lead straight to conviction.

Motive + opportunity really kicks all the obfuscation & defense lies right in the butt.

JMO

Haaaaaa!

As you know, searching out both sides is sooo much work -- much easier to burn those soundbites and clickbait headlines into your memory and hold on to them until death, or whenever.... :rolleyes:

Locking in my prediction now. Iris will claim this was a rush to judgement, and that there is no evidence. She'll point to DNA evidence that exonerates her client, claim the DA "had no case, and they knew it," and talk about the lawsuit that will see to it that "this never happens again to another innocent person, like my client."

She may even bring up the Cahill/CBI thing, and stretch the truth, claiming that "they did not think Barry killed his wife."

Then she'll say "there is no evidence Suzanne is even dead."

The vast majority of the country knows very little of this case, and most people haven't even heard of it.

This will be incredibly effective.

Locking in my prediction now. Iris will claim this was a rush to judgement, and that there is no evidence. She'll point to DNA evidence that exonerates her client, claim the DA "had no case, and they knew it," and talk about the lawsuit that will see to it that "this never happens again to another innocent person, like my client."

She may even bring up the Cahill/CBI thing, and stretch the truth, claiming that "they did not think Barry killed his wife."

The vast majority of the country knows very little of this case, and most people haven't even heard of it.

Barry Morphew faces new charge of hiding or destroying wife’s body after killing her
Barry Morphew faces new charge of hiding or destroying wife’s body after killing her

BM's charges were so very detailed; it can't be, that there is not evidence enough, IMO. I wonder .....

In other words, state investigators are not necessarily free to roam as they please but also have to answer to state bureaucracy with their finger on risk analysis and taxpayer-financed claims.

This came up a lot in No Stone Unturned about Necrosearch

Even where the lead is strong, the person writing the cheque often wants guarantees that something will be found to justify spending. Otherwise it is easier to do nothing and not take a risk.

Sadly just how bureaucracy works, when you don't have a set budget for the line item, and thus will have to justify it to someone when it all goes wrong.

Agreed.

"there is no evidence", "they rushed to charge prematurely"

Of course it is obvious nonsense - as proven at the Prelim. She is pretending that the discovery issues are because the case was too weak, even though the case was already successfully presented before.

This is the defence counsel behaviour I am sick of - just flat out lying to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu