Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, he also said he did it in April. When deer barely have antlers.

Guessing he had no sawn-off nubs in this scary trophy garage.

Pretty textbook move anyway -- confess to a lesser infraction to bolster the appearance of truth-telling and transparency. While lying through your veneers.

JMO

Why does it matter if he had the nubs in the garage? Why does it matter if the antlers were small? He said he used a tranq gun to shoot deer and take their antlers. It is a felony.

Why does it matter if he had the nubs in the garage? Why does it matter if the antlers were small? He said he used a tranq gun to shoot deer and take their antlers. It is a felony.

I do hope the DNR has sat up and taken notice.

Real hunters respect wildlife. And the law.

JMO

ITA. The FBI has been involved from early on, and I assume they will remain involved in the investigation. Investigators having seen the defense, I expect there will be further efforts to identify the sources of male DNA on the bike and other places and to close off the SODDI argument. We won't know if the U.S. attorney is involved until charges are filed, I suspect. Maybe it's a long shot hope, but a Federal prosecution would remove all the lingering legal issues from Linda Stanley's prosecution of the case and bring a top notch legal team the locals can't match. It would also put the death penalty on the table.
I think the Feds is a long shot....although by law they "could" theoretically try a murder that occurred on federal land, it's rare I do think. Plus that presumes that more evidence would be identified that tied the murder directly to Barry as well and I "think", but a lawyer would have to weigh in because it's just my opinion, that the murder would have had to occur on federal land and not just a body found on federal land for the feds to have any interest in pursuing charges on a single murder in the state. I also don't think any charges will be filed again until whomever prosecutes feels they can meet proof evident, presumption great or get through a grand jury. I do agree they need to button up the DNA argument and whether it was one item or multiple locations of the same DNA something that there never was clarity on, at least for me...until then it's always going to be the elephant in the courtroom and legally significant for a defense no matter what we think.

Any volunteers? I myself am far too busy, & creating a circus (not that I'd ever do that :)) will need an awful lot of work. Applicants will need to be capable of disciplining the criminally inclined, noticing BS, sorting the wheat from the chaff, teaching old dogs new tricks, and soothing any damaged egos before it comes to blows (or bites). All applicants and ideas welcome!
Especially needed: someone skilled in dealing with the elephant in the room. :p

Can't wait for Barry's book deal ... but what should it be called?

"All my life"
"Oh Suzanne"
"100%"

As I recall, he also said he did it in April. When deer barely have antlers.

Guessing he had no sawn-off nubs in this scary trophy garage.

Pretty textbook move anyway -- confess to a lesser infraction to bolster the appearance of truth-telling and transparency. While lying through your veneers.

JMO
Shed is January - April, by the way, for deer and elk. They grow them in late fall into winter each year. No argument by me that doing so in Colorado was not legal for him to do although it is not an uncommon practice with deer farmers to keep injuries down in the herd from buck fights so he was experienced for sure.

I think the Feds is a long shot....although by law they "could" theoretically try a murder that occurred on federal land, it's rare I do think. Plus that presumes that more evidence would be identified that tied the murder directly to Barry as well and I "think", but a lawyer would have to weigh in because it's just my opinion, that the murder would have had to occur on federal land and not just a body found on federal land for the feds to have any interest in pursuing charges on a single murder in the state. I also don't think any charges will be filed again until whomever prosecutes feels they can meet proof evident, presumption great or get through a grand jury. I do agree they need to button up the DNA argument and whether it was one item or multiple locations of the same DNA something that there never was clarity on, at least for me...until then it's always going to be the elephant in the courtroom and legally significant for a defense no matter what we think.
I appreciate your thoughts, but if any part of the criminal episode occurred on Federal land, IMO the U.S. clearly has discretion to take the case. There are probably formal guidelines as to how that discretion is exercised, under which most murders are left to state and local law enforcement.

But where those jurisdictions have failed or are impaired for some reason, the U.S. has a long history of stepping in to see justice done. IMO, it won't be a waste of time to call this case to the attention of Colorado's senators and representatives, or Indiana's (for those who are residents of those states).

I don't think it's necessary to do the DNA followup to prove the case, but since there is no statute of limitations, I think it would be time and money well spent - if only to be able to tell the defense to pound sand if they want to negotiate away the death penalty.

Can't wait for Barry's book deal ... but what should it be called?

"All my life"
"Oh Suzanne"
Or, he and his legal friends could go the scholarly route, and try to change the world with

"Back to the future: Restoring the ancient Roman law of pater familias. Honor killing as a foundation of Western Civilization."

I don't think it's necessary to do the DNA followup to prove the case, but since there is no statute of limitations, I think it would be time and money well spent - if only to be able to tell the defense to pound sand if they want to negotiate away the death penalty.
^^rsbm

Overview
The federal death penalty applies in all 50 states and U.S. territories but is used relatively rarely. About 45 prisoners are on the federal death row, most of whom are imprisoned in Terre Haute, Indiana. Sixteen federal executions have been carried out in the modern era, all by lethal injection, with 13 occurring in a six-month period between July 2020 and January 2021.

The federal death penalty was held unconstitutional following the Supreme Court’s opinion of Furman v. Georgia in 1972. Unlike the quick restoration of the death penalty in most states, the federal death penalty was not reinstated until 1988, and then only for a very narrow class of offenses. The Federal Death Penalty Act of 1994 greatly expanded the number of eligible offenses to about 60.

The use of the federal death penalty in jurisdictions that have themselves opted not to have capital punishment—such as Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and many states—has raised particular concerns about federal overreach into state matters.

Federal Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

IMO, if put to a test, I think bringing in a special prosecutor would be more likely than getting the case admitted to the U.S. District Court for federal prosecution.

I also don't see the federal death penalty applicable for this case and even if it was, I don't think there would be the [political] support necessary here from what I'm seeing on the U.S. Map of defendants sentenced to death under Federal Death Penalty Statute-- see link above.

If ever there was a death penalty case, I think of Chris Watts and how even with the Watts murders headlining their news, still, Colorado was not deterred and abolished the state death penalty.

I can.

They could remove the condition on the $200,000 reward, so it is no longer for “Suzanne’s safe return, no questions asked,” and is instead for information leading to recovery of her remains and successful prosecution of any party responsible for her disappearance.

I hope this doesn't happen. LE and SAR groups don't need untrained folks without the training and the proper equipment heading to the mountains or wherever to search for SM remains. In this scenario you would also likely have a contaminated recovery scene. IMO

Any volunteers? I myself am far too busy, & creating a circus (not that I'd ever do that :)) will need an awful lot of work. Applicants will need to be capable of disciplining the criminally inclined, noticing BS, sorting the wheat from the chaff, teaching old dogs new tricks, and soothing any damaged egos before it comes to blows (or bites). All applicants and ideas welcome!
I don't think I want to work at a circus, not even volunteer. All of the animals would be loose. Could be a dangerous situation especially with the bears. Better to keep them in a zoo behind bars. :D

I hope this doesn't happen. LE and SAR groups don't need untrained folks without the training and the proper equipment heading to the mountains or wherever to search for SM remains. In this scenario you would also likely have a contaminated recovery scene. IMO
Good point, but don’t worry. The reward was a sham to give the appearance BM was invested in SM’s return; however, given that he was well aware SM couldn’t possibly be “returned safely,” the restriction served to ensure there was no risk BM’s $100,000 share would ever be in danger of leaving his safekeeping.

He will NEVER lift it. He takes better care of his $ than he did his wife.

With the latest development of the Judge stepping down, I would imagine that @Kemug has been extremely busy — bringing in truckloads of Holy Cows! Holy Cats! and Holy Carp!
Not to mention moving the Llamas out to pasture.
What a busy ever changing menagerie we have here.

P.S. I hope any newcomers know that our joking about the Zoo is just to keep our sanity here with this crazy case that we all take very seriously.
JMO
:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads