Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, the book titles gave me a chuckle! :) But, no need to worry LNF, the Bare is certifiably illiterate. He couldn’t right a book if his life depended on it. He can’t string together a coherent sentence either. No, there will be no book…..unless of course…..IE writes it for him :p:D:eek:!
Ghost writer. E&N efficient so its probably already written, just waiting to publish.

I must say, the book titles gave me a chuckle! :) But, no need to worry LNF, the Bare is certifiably illiterate. He couldn’t right a book if his life depended on it. He can’t string together a coherent sentence either. No, there will be no book…..unless of course…..IE writes it for him :p:D:eek:!
OJ isn’t the brightest bulb in the pack either. They have ghost writers. If Barry walks for good, oh, there will be a book.

Two years have passed....I'm not assuming that people will be out searching the mountain tops with renewed interest or not. If what LE is saying is truthful....snowpack still exists now at the higher/highest elevations...and would have also been there two years ago in May so I have to be abit jaded at the idea that she is under multiple feet of snow a week or so ago as the DA claims as they would have had that very real issue of snow two years ago when moving the body there. At the very highest elevations it never melts and creates "glacial snow" or perennial ice fields. So I will be interested in just "where" they find Suzanne, if they find her...7500 feet, 10,000 feet, 13,000 feet? The base at Monarch Ski Area is slightly over 10,000 and still has snowpack.
BBM

You are replying to @K9Enzo post where they are stating that they would not want to see BM offer of a cash award leading to the return of Suzanne be modified and thus, leading to untrained individuals out searching. I agree 100% with that assessment.

But I cannot agree with your opinion that there would have to be a
“ renewed interest “ in finding Suzanne.
Many people have Never lost interest . Some have Never stopped searching.
And 2 years is not that long.
There is a vigil scheduled for Saturday May 14 at 2:00 p.m. at Riverside Park in Salida.
JMO

OJ isn’t the brightest bulb in the pack either. They have ghost writers. If Barry walks for good, oh, there will be a book.
Whenever I think of OJ, I remember the Judge asking “ How do you plead?” and OJ saying “ 100 percent innocent “.
Every time I see BM saying “ 100 percent “ in his interviews in the Affidavit I think of that.
I probably would have never watched the OJ trial in 1995, but my Mom was on home hospice care due to cancer and I was her caregiver..
She was glued to this trial! She and I both thought he was guilty as sin.
I’m kinda glad she didn’t get to see the verdict.
JMO

I hope this doesn't happen. LE and SAR groups don't need untrained folks without the training and the proper equipment heading to the mountains or wherever to search for SM remains. In this scenario you would also likely have a contaminated recovery scene. IMO

I live within a days drive of Salida, and I’ve entertained the idea of going hiking there. And by hiking, I mean being out in a certain area and looking for SUZANNE’s remains. I can guarantee you, I would not contaminate a recovery scene.

Of course, I’ve been a member of WS for a lot of years, and know enough to be careful. I am not trained LE or SAR, but would never knowingly jeopardize justice for SUZANNE. I think there are others like me who want to help, want her found, and think that finding her is maybe more important than worrying about contamination.

I’d like to think that anyone searching for SUZANNE would be very cognizant of and careful with their actions.

1. No reason to go to trial? This is one of the most heinous crimes in Colorado history. If anyone rates the death penalty, Watts does.

2. Why would the DA blame the Governor for his decision not to seek the death penalty? We should probably ask him, to be fair. My guess is that it was good politics in deep red Weld County, Colorado.
^^rsbm

I'm sorry if my choice of a Colorado murderer (Watts vs Frazee) clouded the points of discussion (i.e., federal prosecution of BM and his defense negotiating away the federal death penalty).

For discussion purposes, my example of how not even Watts's Colorado headlines served to provoke a reconsideration of Colorado penalty options, probably should have been Frazee.

No reason to go to trial?

To be clear, death was never, ever, a penalty option for Watts, and with Watts accepting five life terms without parole, there was no need to go to trial. Also, given that DA Rourke knew far in advance that the death penalty was a no-go for the family, there was no need to go to trial.

The family of Shanann Watts told Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke they did not want to pursue the death penalty against Christopher Watts.

“They were very strongly favor of a resolution in this case short of the death penalty. That to me, was the most important consideration,” Rourke stated. “You do what the victims’ family wants you to do in this case.”

DA Rourke blames the governor?

I disagree with OP's interpretation of the DA blaming the governor when Watts was sentenced to 5 life terms.

I disagree for a couple of reasons:

First and foremost, the death penalty was never on the table for Watts. Death was non-negotiable with the victim's family.

And second, it's deja vu DA Stanley's presser! :D

In response to a question about the death penalty, Rourke made a statement about how even if the jury decides the penalty of death, the decision may not be final. Specific to the Governor, Rourke referenced the example of 1996 convicted killer Nathan Dunlap, and how about 20 days after his 2013 execution was announced, the then Governor signed a temporary reprieve for Dunlap that stayed his execution. (Supreme Court had previously affirmed his sentence).

ETA: In 2020, when the state repealed the death penalty, Dunlap’s sentence was commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

I was not familiar with the Dunlap case but just reading the Supreme Court brief about the killer lying in wait (hiding in the bathroom), deliberately executing four of his young co-workers at Chuck E. Cheese, it's horrific. Rourke harboring emotions for the victim's families and prosecutors here is understandable.

OK, I'm done with any ideas of federal prosecution here -- it's not happening.

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Colorado case and opinions.

This Week in History: Colorado Repeals the Death Penalty, Commutes Sentences of Nathan Dunlap Plus Others - Law Week Colorado

Last edited:
I live within a days drive of Salida, and I’ve entertained the idea of going hiking there. And by hiking, I mean being out in a certain area and looking for SUZANNE’s remains. I can guarantee you, I would not contaminate a recovery scene.

Of course, I’ve been a member of WS for a lot of years, and know enough to be careful. I am not trained LE or SAR, but would never knowingly jeopardize justice for SUZANNE. I think there are others like me who want to help, want her found, and think that finding her is maybe more important than worrying about contamination.

I’d like to think that anyone searching for SUZANNE would be very cognizant of and careful with their actions.

@windrower, thanks for sharing your passion for locating clues if not SM's remains. :)

We know that several hundred strangers to SM gathered in Sept 2020 (Andy's search), all hoping to find something, anything, where LE kept their distance.

IMO, it's natural that offers to help are first met with discouragement or rejection.

From the beginning, we heard CCSO discourage volunteers -- repeating how they had experienced professionals to protect the integrity of any evidence and the investigation.

However, I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we don't recognize and accept that negotiated waiver or not, this is really about managed risk and avoiding public liability.

And come on -- how many WS'rs didn't cringe at the sight of ungloved CCSO touching and grabbing the wrecked [planted] bike from the canyon! Ouch!

^^rsbm

I'm sorry if my choice of a Colorado murderer (Watts vs Frazee) clouded the points of discussion (i.e., federal prosecution of BM and his defense negotiating away the federal death penalty).

For discussion purposes, my example of how not even Watts's Colorado headlines served to provoke a reconsideration of Colorado penalty options, probably should have been Frazee.

No reason to go to trial?

To be clear, death was never, ever, a penalty option for Watts, and with Watts accepting five life terms without parole, there was no need to go to trial. Also, given that DA Rourke knew far in advance that the death penalty was a no-go for the family, there was no need to go to trial.

The family of Shanann Watts told Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke they did not want to pursue the death penalty against Christopher Watts.

“They were very strongly favor of a resolution in this case short of the death penalty. That to me, was the most important consideration,” Rourke stated. “You do what the victims’ family wants you to do in this case.”

DA Rourke blames the governor?

I disagree with OP's interpretation of the DA blaming the governor when Watts was sentenced to 5 life terms.

I disagree for a couple of reasons:

First and foremost, the death penalty was never on the table for Watts. Death was non-negotiable with the victim's family.

And second, it's deja vu DA Stanley's presser! :D

In response to a question about the death penalty, Rourke made a statement about how even if the jury decides the penalty of death, the decision may not be final. Specific to the Governor, Rourke referenced the example of 1996 convicted killer Nathan Dunlap, and how about 20 days after his 2013 execution was announced, the then Governor signed a temporary reprieve for Dunlap that stayed his execution. (Supreme Court had previously affirmed his sentence).

ETA: In 2020, when the state repealed the death penalty, Dunlap’s sentence was commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

I was not familiar with the Dunlap case but just reading the Supreme Court brief about the killer lying in wait (hiding in the bathroom), deliberately executing four of his young co-workers at Chuck E. Cheese, it's horrific. Rourke harboring emotions for the victim's families and prosecutors here is understandable.

OK, I'm done with any ideas of federal prosecution here -- it's not happening.

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Colorado case and opinions.

This Week in History: Colorado Repeals the Death Penalty, Commutes Sentences of Nathan Dunlap Plus Others - Law Week Colorado
The only time I have EVER thought that the Death Penalty might be applicable was in the Gannon Stauch case.
Here’s what DA Allen had to say about it upon Letecia Stauch arrest 3 weeks before his body was found:

'This is going to be a long, drawn-out process:' El Paso County DA speaks on Stauch case
Allen declined to speak about Gannon's body, which has not been found. He said it's getting too close to the "facts of the case," or the details he cannot disclose.

The DA was asked if cases without a body were more difficult to prosecute. Allen said it was "a new challenge," but it doesn't make the process more or less difficult.

Allen also said he's "disappointed" that the death penalty in Colorado is going away.

"It is a valuable law enforcement tool. It's used oftentimes to hold the most egregious, violent offenders accountable," the DA said.

He was asked if the Stauch case is one of those "egregious cases" but declined to comment due to investigative purposes.

Or, "What Did God Really Mean When He Commanded 'Thou Shall Not Kill'"
~BM autobiography (IMO)
I am in awe of all the amazing suggestions for the title of Barry's possible book (nearly enough for a whole library:)), but I must point out that the above idea, although brilliant, has probably already been taken by Chad Daybell.

The only time I have EVER thought that the Death Penalty might be applicable was in the Gannon Stauch case.
Here’s what DA Allen had to say about it upon Letecia Stauch arrest 3 weeks before his body was found:

'This is going to be a long, drawn-out process:' El Paso County DA speaks on Stauch case
Allen declined to speak about Gannon's body, which has not been found. He said it's getting too close to the "facts of the case," or the details he cannot disclose.

The DA was asked if cases without a body were more difficult to prosecute. Allen said it was "a new challenge," but it doesn't make the process more or less difficult.

Allen also said he's "disappointed" that the death penalty in Colorado is going away.

"It is a valuable law enforcement tool. It's used oftentimes to hold the most egregious, violent offenders accountable," the DA said.

He was asked if the Stauch case is one of those "egregious cases" but declined to comment due to investigative purposes.

Golden response by DA Allen!

I can't remember the year (late 90's?) when I heard one of Ted Bundy's lawyers talk about how Bundy would obsess that jurors (i.e., inferiors) could decide on death. I remember learning then that there were only 5 states (including Colorado) where jurors were limited to finding the facts leading to a conviction for first-degree murder, but the decision of whether or not to impose the death penalty was reserved for a panel consisting of three judges. The panel either found the additional facts for the death, or it was automatically life without parole.

In profiling, you read about how certain, egregious offenders will confess early or aggressively seek life term sentences-- without revealing anything significant, just to avoid even the slightest thought that somebody might betray them, disclose what's sacred to them, or worse yet, risk their fate to a group of inferiors (jurors) with perceived power over whether or not the defendant lives or dies. I agree that the death penalty can be a valuable tool for law enforcement with certain groups of offenders. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orlando1124