Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link: $$$$$$$$$$$$

That's not all. In yet another indication that this defense attorney is going on the offense, Eytan is looking at reviving legislation that would allow DAs in the state to be sued personally for prosecutorial misconduct — a consequence from which they're protected in Colorado and beyond right now. She's been interviewed by Good Morning America for a segment on the subject expected to air this week.

"My belief is that Mr. Morphew has an immense amount of damages that law enforcement and the DA's office are responsible for," Eytan says. "They're responsible for his anguish, for spending five months in jail, for losing his ability to parent his two daughters, one of whom was a minor, for having to pay all these experts and lawyers and legal fees, and for the suffering that's come from the way they vilified him in the press. The DA and law enforcement did that."

ETA: IE had an agenda when she took this job.

She [IE] pushed such a measure behind the scenes during the Colorado General Assembly's 2021 session, and while a couple of sponsors signed on, they ultimately decided not to introduce it after failing to gain consensus.

Last edited:
Westword, the free ad rag for Denver, is the print equivalent of clickbait. A couple of steps below the Daily News IMO, in terms of professional reporting. This article is typically misleading and biased.

Interesting that IE continues the public relations campaign, though. IMO, this is about getting paid. I don't think she's collected all she is owed by BM, and she needs to get him some kind of settlement from LE.

It will be even more interesting to see if the Colorado Supreme Court's Office of Regulatory Counsel takes disciplinary action against LS and her assistant prosecutors based on IE's complaint.

I still think LE would love to see BM in court, with the full range of civil discovery tools available to them. In the circumstances, BM is still at risk for another murder charge.

Thanks for posting.....the gist of it is similar to her courthouse interview so not surprising and most likely the gist of the interview she did for GMA that is mentioned.

I would like to see the invoice to Barry.

Prelim Trial-$250,000
Pre Trial motions $250,000
Dismissal $100,000

Options

Parking lot kiss after dismissal $20,000
Prelim back rubs $10,000
GMA appearances and book tour- $50,000

Thanks for posting.....the gist of it is similar to her courthouse interview so not surprising and most likely the gist of the interview she did for GMA that is mentioned.

I would like to see the invoice to Barry.

Prelim Trial-$250,000
Pre Trial motions $250,000
Dismissal $100,000

Options

Parking lot kiss after dismissal $20,000
Prelim back rubs $10,000
GMA appearances and book tour- $50,000

Well, how about a Colorado law that provides monetary sanctions against defense attorneys who litigate their cases in the press, rather than the dignity of a courtroom?

IE wants the DA to have personal liability but if IE uses the media to say lack of physical evidence means there is no evidence, she is guilty of lying because the mountain of circumstantial evidence she's trying to snow is worse than any physical snow potentially covering the victims body!

Westword is really negligent for not pointing that out.

Keep trying to sway the potential jury pool, Iris. Cause that's your only hope of keeping this lying wife killer free.

MOO

Your confidence is impressive.

My comment was safety first, the recovery scene second.

DA Stanley stated LE believes SM's remains are in a mountainous region under 5' of snow. That it's dangerous for their own investigators and chosen experienced teams to safely reach right now.

LE also believe SM is a victim of a crime. That stands to reason the location of her remains is an area where evidence recovery is crucial to a conviction in this case. Having folks who are LE trained in crime scene preservation seems important to me.

I stand firm on the safety of those who venture out that were not invited by LE. I also stand firm on the safety of SAR who get called out when someone gets themselves in a pickle.

If you haven't already, please consider a PLB such as a Garmin InReach if you do go hiking in these mountain areas. These areas are beautiful but can be very unforgiving, even to the most experienced. IMO

Garmin inReach® Satellite Communication | Garmin | United States
Thanks @K9Enzo, for your suggestion and link!

Well, how about a Colorado law that provides monetary sanctions against defense attorneys who litigate their cases in the press, rather than the dignity of a courtroom?

IE wants the DA to have personal liability but if IE uses the media to say lack of physical evidence means there is no evidence, she is guilty of lying because the mountain of circumstantial evidence she's trying to snow is worse than any physical snow potentially covering the victims body!

Westword is really negligent for not pointing that out.

Keep trying to sway the potential jury pool, Iris. Cause that's your only hope of keeping this lying wife killer free.

MOO
Suzanne who?

Westword, the free ad rag for Denver, is the print equivalent of clickbait. A couple of steps below the Daily News IMO, in terms of professional reporting. This article is typically misleading and biased.

Interesting that IE continues the public relations campaign, though. IMO, this is about getting paid. I don't think she's collected all she is owed by BM, and she needs to get him some kind of settlement from LE.

It will be even more interesting to see if the Colorado Supreme Court's Office of Regulatory Counsel takes disciplinary action against LS and her assistant prosecutors based on IE's complaint.

I still think LE would love to see BM in court, with the full range of civil discovery tools available to them. In the circumstances, BM is still at risk for another murder charge.

I trust your judgement on the reputation of the newspaper. I did a google search of BM and it was posted within the last few hours. I'll flag my post. This might not be an approved source.

This is my guess only, most bodies recovered from high elevation mountain regions by hikers, as an example, are probably not victims of a crime. They are probably victims of an accident or being lost where they sadly perished before being rescued.

I'm hesitant with DA Stanley's comment of SM's possible location. Logistically I want to know how that was pulled off at that elevation. I'm not a big believer in BM's perceived skills. DA Stanley's was statement was also vague, I'm sure with intention, so we don't know anyway.

I hope for SM's recovery as well. What's clear to me she's located where she should not be. I'm never at risk for a standing ovation for my comments on this topic. I've said the same thing in other cases as well. It's something I feel strong about (people safety). IMO
@K9Enzo, I agree about the dangers but people do hike in those mountains. I just think two years has been a long time.

From the link: $$$$$$$$$$$$

That's not all. In yet another indication that this defense attorney is going on the offense, Eytan is looking at reviving legislation that would allow DAs in the state to be sued personally for prosecutorial misconduct — a consequence from which they're protected in Colorado and beyond right now. She's been interviewed by Good Morning America for a segment on the subject expected to air this week.

"My belief is that Mr. Morphew has an immense amount of damages that law enforcement and the DA's office are responsible for," Eytan says. "They're responsible for his anguish, for spending five months in jail, for losing his ability to parent his two daughters, one of whom was a minor, for having to pay all these experts and lawyers and legal fees, and for the suffering that's come from the way they vilified him in the press. The DA and law enforcement did that."

ETA: IE had an agenda when she took this job.

She [IE] pushed such a measure behind the scenes during the Colorado General Assembly's 2021 session, and while a couple of sponsors signed on, they ultimately decided not to introduce it after failing to gain consensus.
Agendas.
Game playing.
Money.
Yep that’s his “speed”. Maybe they will fall in love and she can visit him when he is put away!

I disagree with your first 3 paragraphs. In this day and age, most newspapers aren't very local anymore. They're owned by conglomerates and they share content across multiple papers. Some of the best local reporting these days are from outfits just like Westword. Their sister paper here in South Florida, the New Times, is known for great reporting since the Sun Sentinel is a Tribune paper and the Miami Herald is a McClatchy paper and they both have very small newsrooms now.

You may not like the message, but Eytan has a point. If there is no case, it is reasonable for them to sue for damages.

I also think prosecutors should have skin in the game so they're not wrongly charging people since we have seen a lot of wrongful, politically motivated charges nationally recently.

Agreed, they would love to have another crack at Barry.

^^rsbm

Free ad rag clickbait? Ouch!

Let's give credit where credit is due! For more than 40 years, locals (and former locals) have exclusively relied on the 'Ward' for the metro area's Food/Drink/Art/Culture/Movies/Music -- the important stuff you can't live without! :)

ETA: I forgot the Classifieds!!

The Morphew piece is prefaced as a preview to IE's interview with GMA which I posted about last week. IMO, whether or not we read it today in the Ward, or wait for GMA, we know that this is a story according to defense attorney IE.

The story's expected to hit "Good Morning America" this week. Get a preview here.

Denver Westword

Last edited:
I trust your judgement on the reputation of the newspaper. I did a google search of BM and it was posted within the last few hours. I'll flag my post. This might not be an approved source.
The Morphew piece is prefaced as a preview to IE's interview with GMA which I posted about last week. IMO, whether or not we read it today in the Ward, or wait for GMA, we know that this is a story according to defense attorney IE.

The story's expected to hit "Good Morning America" this week. Get a preview here.

Denver Westword

I disagree with your first 3 paragraphs. In this day and age, most newspapers aren't very local anymore. They're owned by conglomerates and they share content across multiple papers. Some of the best local reporting these days are from outfits just like Westword. Their sister paper here in South Florida, the New Times, is known for great reporting since the Sun Sentinel is a Tribune paper and the Miami Herald is a McClatchy paper and they both have very small newsrooms now.

You may not like the message, but Eytan has a point. If there is no case, it is reasonable for them to sue for damages.

I also think prosecutors should have skin in the game so they're not wrongly charging people since we have seen a lot of wrongful, politically motivated charges nationally recently.

Agreed, they would love to have another crack at Barry.
I would be hugely concerned if prosecutors cannot charge someone in circumstances such as these without fear of being personally sued. Your society would go to the dogs!

Suzanne is missing, presumed murdered. Barry is the last person to see her alive. He has motive, he has means, he has lies up the yingyang. Prosecutors have a stack of reasons in that AA to bring forward a case. They had expert witnesses, until they didn’t.

People like Barry, running free in case a DA gets sued? No thanks.

jmo

I would be hugely concerned if prosecutors cannot charge someone in circumstances such as these without fear of being personally sued. Your society would go to the dogs!

Suzanne is missing, presumed murdered. Barry is the last person to see her alive. He has motive, he has means, he has lies up the yingyang. Prosecutors have a stack of reasons in that AA to bring forward a case. They had expert witnesses, until they didn’t.

People like Barry, running free in case a DA gets sued? No thanks.

jmo
For most cases and DA's, fundamentally I agree with you. But, sometimes DA's charge people in cases and they should never be charged. The Rittenhouse case comes to mind. Clearly self defense, as the jury of his peers found. The Duke Lacrosse team rape was another case where innocent kids were charged. IMO penalties for overzealous DAs are one method of combatting this.

FTR, and it is no secret around here, but I also think Linda Stanley overreached in this case. And not only did she charge too early, the evidence she did find she screwed up by not disclosing to the defense. She should have developed better evidence, built the case, and then charged. JMO. If I were a resident in her district I would want her to resign.

I also feel strongly on people's safety, which is why I was confused when Andy did his mass search. No assistance from LE or medical services to direct and support the process. It really baffled me. An agency has support of hundreds of people volunteering their time and efforts, and the CCSO acted as though we were stepping on their toes. Baffling.

Also, just because a person is LE certainly does not mean they are physically equipped(often the opposite is true) to search mountainous high elevation areas. These areas are best searched by hikers, hunters, and outdoor enthusiast.

Yeah, Sheriff Spezee and the like would not be the ones sent to the remote mountainous location DA Stanley called out. I agree with you there. LE would most likely utilize Wilderness SAR. In that particular area where recreation is high, they probably have great teams to work with. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrayZee