Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are y'all's ideas about why LS made the announcement about Suzanne's body being found near Puma Path? Was it to gauge Barry's reaction? To watch him closely, in hopes that he might just be dumb enough to go back to the scene or try to move her? I just can't figure out why she would even add that info to her statement, after the dismissal, at all. Was she saving face? I don't think she would make such a huge statement like that in the face of Suzanne's family, if she didn't legitimately have some pertinent information. The Mormon's have always seemed to hold the Chaffee County investigative team/LE in such high regard (or so it has always appeared that way to me).

Happy Mother's Day, Suzanne (and all of you moms here at Websleuths, too!)

That GMA appearance was scripted. While I harbor no doubts about the pain the two daughters are feeling about their mother's disappearance and their need for healing, they also managed to express a few other things that align with IE's potential civil suit and determination to demonize Linda Stanley (which happens to serve a civil suit as well).

It is NOT Linda Stanley's job to find Suzanne (despite BM's best efforts to conceal her); it is her job to charge and prosecute criminals for the criminal acts they conducted in her jurisdiction, based upon her evaluation of the evidence gathered by LE and the likelihood that the evidence will gain a conviction. Nevertheless, I do hope that LE and their investigators are able to locate SM's remains and any evidence that discovery reveals about the person responsible for her disappearance so whatever yarns BM has woven can finally be exposed as the fabrications they are and he will be seen for the reality of who he is by anyone who doesn't care to live permanently in la-la land.

IMO, it is astonishing how BM's family members have managed to demonize everyone except the culprit - Lauren for her continuing interest on the part of the public in what happened to SM and her attempts to interview anyone who might have any related knowledge, innocent or otherwise, and Linda for daring to pursue the sainted BM with a murder and related charges (and a domestic violence enhancement).

And I notice there was no mention of freeing up the reward from the restriction that it be for "SM's safe return, no questions asked." So much for doing everything that can be done to find her, regardless of her condition.
MOO unfortunaty the DA made BMs blathering on about "Oh Suzanne" and SODDI possible.
It was the DA's responsibility to prosecute in a professional manner, because that is what is needed to gain convictions and prevent successful appeals.
Another DA would be in trial now, with 16 expert witness, comprehensible graphics explaining pings, location and timing, and then would be taking down BMs lies, one by one, showing them to be developed as specific reactions to police questions.

It is NOT Linda Stanley's job to find Suzanne (despite BM's best efforts to conceal her); it is her job to charge and prosecute criminals for the criminal acts they conducted in her jurisdiction, based upon her evaluation of the evidence gathered by LE and the likelihood that the evidence will gain a conviction.
You know what her job is though? To turn discovery over to the defense, to meet court deadlines, and to keep the case on track for a conviction. Sadly, she failed at all of these.

If I were Iris I would be strategizing how to recover expenses Barry incurred. He might need her again in the future and she knows that and knows what is probably left in his wallet.
I don't know the laws there in CO but I was told that in some high profile cases here in FL expenses have been recovered by the defense.

I think he was smart to choose her. Whatever he spent-whether he gets reimbursed or not-it was worth it. And unless there are dramatic discoveries in the case, she's basically got the playbook to defend him so a subsequent defense is pretty much ready to go. JMO, if there was a dramatic discovery, let's say Suzanne's body with Barry's blood on her clothing and under her nails, I think Iris would be out.

5/8/22

Missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew: Where the case stands two years later

Sunday marked the second Mother’s Day without missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew since the mom of two disappeared in 2020.

Tuesday will mark two years since Morphew was last seen on May 10, 2020, at age 49.

Over the course of two years, investigators have announced murder charges, among others, in connection with the case – against Suzanne’s husband, Barry Morphew – and then dropped the charges months later, just weeks before he was headed to trial. While the search for Suzanne continues, prosecutors said in April they believed they were close to locating her remains, which could implicate or exculpate her husband.

Meanwhile, Barry Morphew’s defense attorney, Iris Eytan, recently told ABC her team will be taking action against the district attorney on the case and will be calling for a probe into prosecutors’ mishandling of the investigation.

"They absolutely dismissed this case at this point because they knew they were going to lose this trial and Mr. Morphew was going to be acquitted and exonerated," she told reporters after the news of the dismissal.

Police said they were told Suzanne Morphew left for a bike ride on May 10, 2020, but never returned. A neighbor reported her missing, officials said at the time.

A few days later, investigators found an item possibly belonging to her, but several searches that included waterways did not turn up a body.

A week after she went missing, Barry Morphew posted a video on Facebook pleading for her safe return.

"No questions asked, however much they want, I will do whatever it takes to get you back," he said.

Andy Moorman, Suzanne Morphew’s brother, announced in mid-September he was recruiting volunteers to conduct an independent search.

"I need to find her, need to bring her home, give her a proper burial and closure for my family," he told KMGH-TV before the Sept. 24 search began. "And that’s my point. I’m not about finding somebody guilty or trying to inflict punishment on anyone. That’s not my job. That’s the law enforcement’s job."

The sheriff's office said it worked with law enforcement partners to execute over 135 search warrants statewide and interview more than 400 people in multiple states. The law enforcement teams looked into more than 1,400 tips.

Morphew was charged in May 2021 with murder, tampering with a deceased human body and tampering with physical evidence, among others, in connection with the May 2020 disappearance and presumed death of his wife.

In a 131-page affidavit released after Morphew's arrest, investigators described how Morphew realized he couldn’t control his wife and her decision to leave him, so instead "he resorted to something he has done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals," the document states.

But prosecutors then changed course, successfully asking a judge on April 19 to drop the charges. They further asked that the counts be dismissed without prejudice, meaning they could still re-submit charges if new information presented itself, according to the motion.

They argued that they felt they were close to finding Suzanne Morphew's remains, which could help or hurt their case against Barry.

"In typical homicide cases, the fact of the victim’s death is rarely at issue, but in a case such as this, the most influential fact of consequence is whether or not Ms. Morphew is deceased. If the body proves to be there, further forensic examination could potentially inculpate or exculpate the Defendant," the filing states. "Given the need to conduct further investigation to resolve these issues, this is a good faith basis to dismiss the current indictment."

They wrote that investigators had hoped to recover Morphew's remains in a remote area near the couple's mountainous home before the trial, but weather stymied their efforts.

"This area received a significant amount of snow over the winter months before a search could be completed," the motion states. "To date, the area has 5 feet of snow concealing the location where the People believe Ms. Morphew is located."

Suzanne Morphew's siblings agreed with the prosecution's request to drop the charges, District Attorney Linda Stanley said.

Eytan, Barry Morphew's lead attorney, slammed Stanley's office's handling of the case and called the charges "false from the beginning."

"The affidavit that was filed in this case was egregious, and wrong, and had so many misstatements that carried it through to preliminary hearing where more lies and perjury were committed in order to get Mr. Morphew wrongfully convicted," she said at a press conference after the dismissal.

Eytan said there was "not a single ounce" of physical evidence linking Barry Morphew to the case and noted that prosecutors have never before said they needed to find Suzanne Morphew's body in order to prosecute.

"In fact, there is DNA that is placed on all the critical items of evidence in this case – on the bike, on the bike helmet, in the house, in the car – that is linked to unknown males and has been linked to convicted sex offenders in this country."

She added: "And the prosecution has chosen not to follow those leads."

Morphew’s daughters, Macy and Mallory, stood by their father during an interview with ABC, which aired Friday.

"We’ve decided we finally want to break the silence," Mallory said.

"It’s been an emotional rollercoaster, but we feel like we can finally take our first steps in healing, which is a blessing," Macy added. "We just know our dad better than anyone else, and we know he was not involved in our mom’s disappearance."

Eytan is calling for a review of the prosecutors’ handling of the case.

"If you want to honor Suzanne and you want to honor the daughters, go find Suzanne," Eytan told ABC. "Prosecutors need to be held responsible, and they need to pay for the damage they caused to Barry, which is frankly nearly irreparable. Because it's hard for anybody to believe that Barry is not who they claim he was."

In a statement to ABC, Stanley's office said that prosecutors and law enforcement "have been diligently searching for Suzanne Morphew since she was reported missing" and continue doing so.

——————

BBM above. IMO Correction:
1.) Sunday marked the third Mother’s Day without missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew since the mom of two disappeared in 2020.

2.) Monday will mark two years since Morphew was last seen on May 9, 2020, at age 49.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Thank you for correcting that. THREE Mother's Days.... and all future Mother's Days.... all to avoid a divor$e.

Barry and Iris claim there's not an ounce of evidence implicating Barry.

That dryer sheath in the laundry -- know what's one thing that probably comes measured in ounces? Tranquilizing chemicals...

No de-antlered deer, no chipmunks....

Just one mother, no doubt looking forward to the Mother's Day she didn't live to see.

Oh, Suzanne.

JMO

Thank you for correcting that. THREE Mother's Days.... and all future Mother's Days.... all to avoid a divor$e.

That dryer sheath in the laundry -- know what's one thing that probably comes measured in ounces? Tranquilizing chemicals...

Just one mother, no doubt looking forward to the Mother's Day she didn't live to see.

Oh, Suzanne.

JMO
I sure would have liked to know why and how the sheath had only Suzanne and one of the daughter’s dna :-( there were many things we may never have answers for.

I sure would have liked to know why and how the sheath had only Suzanne and one of the daughter’s dna :-( there were many things we may never have answers for.

Gloved hand of LE opening the dryer door that had DNA from the female members of the household, transfered from the door to the glove, from the glove to the sheath.

No mystery. Exactly how transference happens.

And a solid indication of who did the laundry at the house. No surprise there either.

Bet Barry wishes he'd thrown those shorts away in Broomfield instead of attempting laundry.

JMO

Last edited:
…not before she (the cat) dragged Suzanne up the hill.

And seriously, Barry is guilty as sin.

Iris Eytan merely did her job, to pull BM out of the cell, very well. She is worth her price. (Of course, one wonders if the judge showed enough impartiality). It doesn’t mean the world should believe BM is innocent. He simply walks free.
True... on everything you posted

Bury is guilty

IE did her job and did it well.

I also wonder about the Judge showing impartiality and IMO, he did.

People like her and BM have NO morals, NO values and only about themselves.

He is a narcissist, only about himself and the money, control freak.

IE is about the money and only there to cause diversions, which she got paid a lot of money to do.

I can't wait until they find Suzanne and arrest him again.

Oh, Suzanne.

JMO
Hmmm….”not an ounce of evidence”

Not directed at you Megnut, just picking up on this point that irritates me.

Iris was kinda right, but not really. There may not be an ounce of ”physical” evidence that Bare did this, but there sure is a MOUNTAIN of circumstantial evidence that screams HE DID IT! She lies, spins and omits what isn’t convenient.

IE may be a top notch lawyer that can get guilty people off, but that doesn’t mean I have to respect her unethical tactics. She appears to excel at dirty pool. If the Bare were innocent (which we KNOW he is NOT), she wouldn’t have to resort to such cheap tactics. MOO

Hmmm….”not an ounce of evidence”

Not directed at you Megnut, just picking up on this point that irritates me.

Iris was kinda right, but not really. There may not be an ounce of ”physical” evidence that Bare did this, but there sure is a MOUNTAIN of circumstantial evidence that screams HE DID IT! She lies, spins and omits what isn’t convenient.

IE may be a top notch lawyer that can get guilty people off, but that doesn’t mean I have to respect her unethical tactics. She appears to excel at dirty pool. If the Bare were innocent (which we KNOW he is NOT), she wouldn’t have to resort to such cheap tactics. MOO

I'm right there with you.

Interesting though, isn't it, that Barry insists there's no evidence in the home?... but hmmmmm, Barry, I thought you didn't know what happened to Suzanne. That cracked door should be alarming! Some bad, bad man could've broken in while your wife wasn't sleeping....

And why aren't they clamoring for information about the proposed site, 5 feet under? Surely finding Suzanne's body would bring them closure.

Unless....

Unless Barry knows how she got there.

Why'd you throw your workboots away on Mother's Day, Barry? You get some dirt on 'em? Up by the snowline maybe?

How come Barry didn't bring his special friend to GMA?

Who doesn't love a good dumpster-love love-story?

JMO

Last edited:
I'm right there with you.

Interesting though, isn't it, that Barry insists there's no evidence in the home?... but hmmmmm, Barry, I thought you didn't know what happened to Suzanne. That cracked door should be alarming! Some bad, bad man could've broken in while your wife wasn't sleeping....

And why aren't they clamoring for information about the proposed site, 5 feet under? Surely finding Suzanne's body would bring them closure.

Unless....

Unless Barry knows how she got there.

Why'd you throw your workboots away on Mother's Day, Barry? You get some dirt on 'em? Up by the snowline maybe?

How come Barry didn't bring his special friend to GMA?

Who doesn't love a good dumpster-love story?

JMO
RBBM
”Well, exactly.”

5/8/22

Family and friends reflect two years after Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance​

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. – It’s been two years since a Chaffee County mother vanished from Chaffee County on Mother’s Day.

On May 10, 2020, 49-year-old Suzanne Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride alone in the Maysville area and didn’t return home. Her bike was found less than a mile from her home. She has not been seen since.

Her husband, Barry Morphew, was arrested almost a year later in connection with her murder. Last month those charges were dismissed without prejudice, meaning charges could be refiled against him.

Suzanne Morphew’s friends and family say she brought light to so many people’s lives, and they are holding onto hope that one day she will be found.

“Suzanne, it seems impossible that it’s been two years since you went missing. This whole thing is surreal. Not a single day goes by that you aren’t thought of by so many who love you. We continue to pray for you to be found, for answers and closure. Happy Mother’s Day, sweet friend.”
MICHELLE DAVIS (FRIEND)

“It seems to me that motherhood for Suzanne was a natural calling as a woman and her generational gift. Our Mom was loving and caring and devoted primarily to her family and in particular to her children. It was my sisters’ great joy and her faith in God was reflected in her role as a mother to Mallory and Macy. Suzanne was a wonderfully devoted mother.”
“One of the characteristics that distinguished both my Mom and Suzanne was their love of infants…they adored the stage of infancy in their (all) babies. They were both gifted at comforting and caring for infants. Both women were quiet nurturers and found their strongest identity in being mothers. Suzanne unconditionally loved Mallory and Macy….this will be my memory today.”

MELINDA (SUZANNE’S SISTER)

“While we may never receive answers, may we never forget Suzanne, and the beautiful person she was, inside, and out! Please, continue to pray for all families involved and not only share her photo, and memory, but her Love for others, and for her Father in Heaven. I choose to #spreadthesparkle and I hope you do too! May we #shinebrightforsuzanne, & #spreadthesparkle of her beautiful smile, by paying it forward, practicing Random acts of Kindness, doing good deeds, and emitting light, in her memory. Suzanne Morphew Please know, you are loved by so many and can never be forgotten!”
Amy McCurry (Friend)

“I have an ache in my heart with Suzanne missing and my Mother’s Day will always be about SUZANNE’S memory forever, I won’t celebrate Mother’s Day for myself as a mom in a normal way ever again… I am still struggling and trying to heal, I am even still involved with a grief therapist monthly, I won’t ever be the same again with her soft soul that vanished so abruptly 2 years ago… There are still moments I reach for my phone, to just hope to call Suzanne occasionally, and in hopes she will pick up my call? Nothing but silence. Her radiant smile and her soft touch is etched in my soul forever. SUZANNE is our loss, but HEAVEN’S GAIN.”
TERESSA FOUNTAIN (FRIEND)

According to court documents, law enforcement believes they are close to locating the body of Suzanne Morphew. Police believe her body is in a remote and mountainous region near the Morphew residence. However, the weather has complicated recovery efforts, according to court documents. The area received significant snow before the search could be completed.

People in Salida plan to hold a vigil for Suzanne Morphew on Saturday, May 14th at Riverside Park.
Vigil info @ link below.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
People in Salida plan to hold a vigil for Suzanne Morphew on Saturday, May 14th at Riverside Park. Vigil info @ link below.

rsbm
If he is truly innocent we can presume that Barry and HIS daughters will be here for this front and centre .

Because thats what grieving innocent families do that are looking for answers and support from those that care in the community.
A beautiful thing to do in Suzannes memory.

imo

Two years ago, on Mother's Day, Suzanne was reported as a Missing Person although her body still has not been found. While I won't pretend to know what happened after she was killed, I am hopeful that this season of searching will finally lead to the discovery of where Suzanne was hidden.

This case upset me more than all I've followed with the exception of Abby and Libby's murders. I left WS for a couple of years after A&L's murders and have stepped away from Suzanne's murder, from time to time. The very thought of a man chasing his betrothed with a tranquilizer gun was so terrifying that it was nearly inconceivable, unthinkable, unbearable. Yet we know by the evidence garnered that Barry stalked, hunted, then chased after his wife as if she were a trophy in the mountains. Suzanne did not go down easy. Deep fingernail marks were made on her husband's arm as she fought for her life.

The second most common cause for a partner to be murdered is in order to gain. Cui bono? Who benefitted the most by Suzanne disappearing?

@ 1:00

"I just love my girls" Barry says while shaking head in affirmation.
"And, I love my wife. And, I just want her to be found" Barry says while shaking his head side to side with negative connotation.

@ 1:06 his eyebrows are raised but the grief muscle between them is smooth for there is no grief in him.

moo
They make me sick DeDee. ALl 3 of them.

5/8/22

Family and friends reflect two years after Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance​

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. – It’s been two years since a Chaffee County mother vanished from Chaffee County on Mother’s Day.

On May 10, 2020, 49-year-old Suzanne Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride alone in the Maysville area and didn’t return home. Her bike was found less than a mile from her home. She has not been seen since.

Her husband, Barry Morphew, was arrested almost a year later in connection with her murder. Last month those charges were dismissed without prejudice, meaning charges could be refiled against him.

Suzanne Morphew’s friends and family say she brought light to so many people’s lives, and they are holding onto hope that one day she will be found.

“Suzanne, it seems impossible that it’s been two years since you went missing. This whole thing is surreal. Not a single day goes by that you aren’t thought of by so many who love you. We continue to pray for you to be found, for answers and closure. Happy Mother’s Day, sweet friend.”
MICHELLE DAVIS (FRIEND)

“It seems to me that motherhood for Suzanne was a natural calling as a woman and her generational gift. Our Mom was loving and caring and devoted primarily to her family and in particular to her children. It was my sisters’ great joy and her faith in God was reflected in her role as a mother to Mallory and Macy. Suzanne was a wonderfully devoted mother.”
“One of the characteristics that distinguished both my Mom and Suzanne was their love of infants…they adored the stage of infancy in their (all) babies. They were both gifted at comforting and caring for infants. Both women were quiet nurturers and found their strongest identity in being mothers. Suzanne unconditionally loved Mallory and Macy….this will be my memory today.”

MELINDA (SUZANNE’S SISTER)

“While we may never receive answers, may we never forget Suzanne, and the beautiful person she was, inside, and out! Please, continue to pray for all families involved and not only share her photo, and memory, but her Love for others, and for her Father in Heaven. I choose to #spreadthesparkle and I hope you do too! May we #shinebrightforsuzanne, & #spreadthesparkle of her beautiful smile, by paying it forward, practicing Random acts of Kindness, doing good deeds, and emitting light, in her memory. Suzanne Morphew Please know, you are loved by so many and can never be forgotten!”
Amy McCurry (Friend)

“I have an ache in my heart with Suzanne missing and my Mother’s Day will always be about SUZANNE’S memory forever, I won’t celebrate Mother’s Day for myself as a mom in a normal way ever again… I am still struggling and trying to heal, I am even still involved with a grief therapist monthly, I won’t ever be the same again with her soft soul that vanished so abruptly 2 years ago… There are still moments I reach for my phone, to just hope to call Suzanne occasionally, and in hopes she will pick up my call? Nothing but silence. Her radiant smile and her soft touch is etched in my soul forever. SUZANNE is our loss, but HEAVEN’S GAIN.”
TERESSA FOUNTAIN (FRIEND)

According to court documents, law enforcement believes they are close to locating the body of Suzanne Morphew. Police believe her body is in a remote and mountainous region near the Morphew residence. However, the weather has complicated recovery efforts, according to court documents. The area received significant snow before the search could be completed.

People in Salida plan to hold a vigil for Suzanne Morphew on Saturday, May 14th at Riverside Park. Vigil info @ link below.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
So sad. But so beautiful, too.

Her life was cut too short but she really left the world a better place by sharing her special gifts with those she touched. A beautiful lady on the outside with a beautiful soul on the inside.

"If you're going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the world that can't be erased."
~ Maya Angelou

Someday, alongside recognizing all forms of domestic violence as criminal, I hope we see a parallel awareness of domestic violence against children, for the children caught in their parents' domestic violence. Like thick second hand smoke, invisible but so very toxic.

LS (either one) isn't the enemy. LE isn't the enemy. A parent who steals a parent away from children and then blocks them from the support of the community, from the natural flow of grief and process -- that's just evil.

I wish that could be an add-on charge.

It is cruel beyond words.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads