Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s absolutely maddening when a murderer gets to roam free but unfortunately, it happens. OJ, and Casey Anthony, two cases I followed closely, are also two murderers imo walk free amongst us.
RSBM
The US clearance rate for homicide is 60%, so there are a lot of Barry Mophews out there who were never convicted of their crimes. It’s pretty chilling to think of the total number of people this 40% includes. At some point we’ve all likely been in close proximity to a murderer.

I’m in Salida. There is no snow pack. We were just remarking yesterday that there is no appreciable snow left anywhere a human could reach on foot or bike. A little on the tops of “14,000 footers”.
Sounds about right -- when I was at Univ, we could generally plan for no appreciable snow by 4 July. Thanks for update @kareylou.

I think the daughter's depos could provide valuable context to the home environment.

After seeing the condition of Barry's truck and garage, I do not see him bothering to pick up spent shells about the yard or anything else for that matter as momofthreeboys thinks he may have. Poor Suzanne must have had her hands full cleaning up his messes about the house. That was probably like a full time job. IMO

I’m in Salida. There is no snow pack. We were just remarking yesterday that there is no appreciable snow left anywhere a human could reach on foot or bike. A little on the tops of “14,000 footers”.
Right! They have nothing In my opinion, they made the whole story up that they had an idea of where she is to try to save face in their botched attempt to bring this to trial. Total Clown Show ( TCS!). I hope I'm wrong and am looking forward to the day where I will eat a bunch of crow and come back here to declare in big bold letters " I WAS WRONG!! But my God, the way things are looking now someone is getting away with murder and it stinks.

Right! They have nothing In my opinion, they made the whole story up that they had an idea of where she is to try to save face in their botched attempt to bring this to trial. Total Clown Show ( TCS!). I hope I'm wrong and am looking forward to the day where I will eat a bunch of crow and come back here to declare in big bold letters " I WAS WRONG!! But my God, the way things are looking now someone is getting away with murder and it stinks.
I don't think LE made the whole thing up. We don't know how big the search area is that they are focusing on. I doubt they meant they know the exact location of Suzanne's body and as soon as the snow melts will just go there and get it.

LE conducted many searches that they didn't tell the public about until much later. I'm not sure if they ever did reveal where those areas were. Before the big search that Andy organized, LE included in their press release that they were planning yet another search. I wonder if this is the area they are referring to.

It's only been a couple of weeks since the snow started melting up there. They could be searching for months. It's too early to assume they aren't making progress. Imo

Posting the link for the AA here because the one in the first page of this thread, isn't correct anymore. It goes to a page that can't be found. I am not sure how to get that updated for the next thread, but here it is for the purpose of easily finding it for my comments. :)

So going back to read about Friday and Saturday and what Barry says and a few things jump out.

Starting about page 23 they list out all Barry's interviews and what he says.

He claims the truck and his phone will match what he says because he knows what he did and where he was. Well I believe him. He didn't use the truck and he left his phone at home.

He mentions at one point that they hiked in the neighborhood and they went to Fooses that day (Saturday). Maybe this is true. Maybe he says this because he took her to Fooses after he killed her? I think often people admit to things thinking they are telling half truths and they have to admit to something that can explain evidence if it is found. If they found proof that he and her were at Fooses, he than then point to the "hike" he said they took Saturday.

Another thing he claims that she wasn't on her phone and they had a great night together Saturday. But he also says he is in the garage fixing the pin on the Bobcat and he also says he loaded his truck that night. How did he know she wasn't on her phone at all during those times he was outside and out in the garage?
I've been thinking about your post and looking at Streetview of the area. So, if leaving from PP to where the bike was left - you would need to turn left onto Highway 50? Is this correct? Which side of the highway was the bike left? Did B (or another) need to cross the Highway to dump the bike or turn around on the Highway?

For the disposal of the bike helmet - you would need to turn right? If so, the helmet could be tossed from a moving vehicle.

He mentions at one point that they hiked in the neighborhood and they went to Fooses that day (Saturday). Maybe this is true. Maybe he says this because he took her to Fooses after he killed her? I think often people admit to things thinking they are telling half truths and they have to admit to something that can explain evidence if it is found. If they found proof that he and her were at Fooses, he than then point to the "hike" he said they took Saturday.

RSBM

I think he may have said this to fill in the timeline because he needed SM to be doing something for the rest of the afternoon. He also has no realistic activities for that period.

I've been thinking about your post and looking at Streetview of the area. So, if leaving from PP to where the bike was left - you would need to turn left onto Highway 50? Is this correct? Which side of the highway was the bike left? Did B (or another) need to cross the Highway to dump the bike or turn around on the Highway?

For the disposal of the bike helmet - you would need to turn right? If so, the helmet could be tossed from a moving vehicle.

I think he might have ridden the bike up the road, thrown it over, and walked back.

As you say, the helmet was tossed on the later journey.

This is why the detail of the phone and telematics evidence will be so fascinating.

I think he might have ridden the bike up the road, thrown it over, and walked back.

As you say, the helmet was tossed on the later journey.

This is why the detail of the phone and telematics evidence will be so fascinating.
Was B's DNA on the bike? What about the risk of being seen (either whilst riding the bike or walking back)?

Last edited:

After seeing the condition of Barry's truck and garage, I do not see him bothering to pick up spent shells about the yard or anything else for that matter as momofthreeboys thinks he may have. Poor Suzanne must have had her hands full cleaning up his messes about the house. That was probably like a full time job. IMO
I think they were messy. Suzanne's RR had a bunch of junk in it. JMO

Was B's DNA on the bike? What about the risk of being seen (either whilst riding the bike or walking back)?

Well either the "abductor" or BM risked being seen dumping the bike there.

So seeing it was dumped there, we have to assume the killer did it.

It was night time so the risk of seeing anyone on that road was near zero - and it is not far from PP

What makes you believe they are not searching, and/or that nothing has been found? Has the CCSO issued an update? Do you expect an update? For reasons I've posted before, I don't.

No, the bike was found downhill (toward the river) from the side of County Road 225 about 1/8 of a mile SW of where CR 225 connects with Highway 50. So, a person leaving the Morphew residence to dump the bike would not get on the highway to leave it where it was found.

To leave the former Morphew home by road, a person must first travel about 1/4 mile west on Puma Path, then turn right and travel N (slightly NW) on CR225. CR225 crosses the Arkansas River, then turns sharply east for about 1/8 mile (running roughly parallel to the river) before turning N again just before meeting the highway.

The helmet was found just off Highway 50 west of CR225 (which would require a left turn off CR225 if a person was coming from Puma Path).

page1image16241536

Based on texts reported during the PH (See PH Tweets), we actually have a good idea of what transpired on May 9 including when BM and MG left the beach site and BM dropped MG at her car parked at the fitness center, and when his truck arrived at or near PP, and the time his phone placed him near the creek (turkey/game cams). We filled in some more details (albeit unverified and from the transcript of PH) of BM's location/activity at or around PP prior to heading to DSi.

We also know what time BM left and arrived at DSi for the blade change and how he phoned SM about 9 times without SM answering. We know when BM returned from DSi and the alleged chipmunk shoot.

Pulled this from the Media thread but I believe there's an updated version posted in the main thread by @OldCop or @oviedo.

Update timeline from thread #71--by @OldCop post.

Missing our brilliant archivist @Cindizzi that can pull out the last version out of her wide-brimmed hat. ;)

I do believe that BM's entered the home or garage however briefly before leaving for DSi appointment where SM texted JL that she was alone again (because BM left for blade change). See the timeline below for May 9: 12:50-1:38 PM -- BM had about 30 mins where he could have been inside for lunch, and 4 mins later SM texts JL that she's alone again.

As @oviedo mentioned upthread, we have been working on the timeline for the critical days and hours up until SM was reported missing. @oviedo has provided an excellent in depth timeline for us using the Tweets from the courthouse and msm reports on the first 2 days of the preliminary hearing. I have been trying to break that info down into a streamlined bulleted version by date and times for quick reference. We do have some conflicting info that was probably accidental error as the journalists tried to quickly Tweet sometimes complicated testimony. We also have some times that are unclear, such as the coming and going from the HIE on Sunday around the time of Trash dump #5.
Please help us tighten this timeline by correcting errors or filling in blanks so we can use it during trial.
Thanks!

5/5
SM drives MM2 to Gunnison to meet MM1 for camping trip

5/6
SM texts BM: I’m done. Etc
BM texts suicidal messages which he deletes

5/7
7:27 SM messages JL about how magical past days were
Continues to message him throughout the day.
4:43 SM tells BM she has been studying all day and is making veggie stew for dinner.

5/8
7:02 am SM writes list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave marriage on Notes
9:28 am SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally.
10:55 am BM texts SM I Love You, Suzanne

Friday night: BM Moonlight Pizza

5/9
12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)
2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)
6:00 am BM’s phone revives call (d)
7:19 am BM’s cell revives signal
9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?
9:52 SM to BM, Where? (No response) Later on, asking about summer tires on Range Rover
10:36 SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?
10:48 BM: No, coming home
10:48 SM: Get hot tub stuff
11:00 am Tail Winds property
11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM
11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river
behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.
1:38 BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms

1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?
1:55 pm BM at DSI
2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat
2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.
2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL
2:44 BM returned home
JL sends several texts, no response
2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44-2:47 BM moving around outside house, BM shooting chipmunks?
2:44-4:44 Truck doesn’t move
4:44 BM truck door opens/closes
4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc
4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa
5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted
9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm truck door closes
10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode

5/10
2:53 am Outgoing call on SM’s phone
3:26 am BM car door opened and closed
3:58 am BM cell moves from home to near 225/50 where bike found
4:30 am last phone ping SM
4:31 am BM phone into airplane mode
5:37 am phone off airplane mode heading towards Buena Vista
5:38 am BM text HMD to his mom
6:56 am BM texts SM HMD
8:10 am Car door opened at RTD bus stop in Broomfield off Hwy 36 Trash drop #1
8:20 am BM parks on south side of HIE away from cameras, throws things in trash Drop #2
8:25 am BM enters hotel carrying clothes, (teal and black colored), hiking boots, light blue plastic bag
8:38 am BM goes to room changes into blk v neck, hiking boots, carrying different bag
8:41 am BM texts SM that he arrived
9:12 BM leaves hotel, drives by wall, goes to MacDonald’s. Throws things in trash Drop #3
BM then goes to a car wash
BM then goes to Men’s Wearhouse parking lot, spends 40 minutes. Driver & pass doors open and close multiple times. Trash Drop #4

Time? Goes back to room with large notebook with messy papers

Time? Leaves room in a different shirt, gray t shirt, with large notebook and neat papers, 20 minutes later

BM goes to wall and works 11-15 minutes, removed blocks from wall.
11:20 am BM calls SM No answer
12:06 pm BM calls MM1
12:27 pm Trash drop #5 throws away 2 bags, with camo coat, tree container, (tranquilizer material?), in dumpster at HIE. He walks across lot rather than parking near dumpster. BM walks back to hotel with hands in pocket and head down.
12:42-5:55 pm BM in room at HIE
3:39 pm texts SM, asks her to call him
5:15 pm PP neighbor Ritter calls
5:55 pm BM changed shirts again and left hotel room.
6:00 pm BM makes multiple trips in and out of hotel entrance bringing in hand tools including a shovel and rake. Asks front desk if he can leave them for his workers.

ETA - replace timeline w/updated.
For the calls in the wee hours of 5/9, what does the (d) mean after the incident note? And what does "revives call" mean? I'm guessing that the next thing -- revives signal -- refers to acquiring connection with cell tower when a phone is turned on but not sure if the timeline authors meant that. TIA. And thank you for putting the timeline in the main flow as a great memory jog.

RSBM

I think he may have said this to fill in the timeline because he needed SM to be doing something for the rest of the afternoon. He also has no realistic activities for that period.
Yup. Page 103: SA Grusing told Barry that on that Saturday at 11 :00 AM, he told Morgan Gentile he was planning to take a hike or bike ride with Suzanne, but now he was unsure if his Fooses hike was that day.

And page 125: No "hike" existed that Saturday afternoon in Barry's multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview, when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake. CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview. Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking "Tim Backhoe" to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat.

Seriously? Why would Speeze et. al, make this up? To be clear, including this info from the investigators in the Motion of the People for Dismissal wasn't required for the Court to grant the motion. This idea of a "made-up story" is really getting old. MOO

Last edited:

One would not cross CR 50 to go from the PP home to the location where the bike was found. Their driveway fronts onto CR 225. The bike was found off of CR 225, before he would've reached CR 50.

For the disposal of the helmet, he would've made a left onto CR 50 from CR 225. It is believed by many here that he turned around in Garfield and threw the helmet out the window on the drive back. (He eventually admitted to turning left onto CR 50 once he thought that they had proof that he did that. He should've taken a right onto CR 50 if his main destination was Broomfield.)

The bike, helmet, and PP house are all on the same side of CR 50. People's exhibit #60 from the PH shows the layout and pinpoints where these things were found.

Hope this helps.

Yup. Page 103: SA Grusing told Barry that on that Saturday at 11 :00 AM, he told Morgan Gentile he was planning to take a hike or bike ride with Suzanne, but now he was unsure if his Fooses hike was that day.

And page 125: No "hike" existed that Saturday afternoon in Barry's multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview, when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake. CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview. Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking "Tim Backhoe" to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat.

I'll never forget this text exchange between BM and SM which I've long believed was twofold for BM: alibi and manipulation where SM would let her guard down.

Workaholic BM was still in the manipulative, love-bombing cycle-- offering up his Saturday for them to do one of SM's favored activities but when SM intuitively suggested she'd meet him in town, he immediately responded NO, he was coming home.

And what BM did when he got to Maysville (i.e., circling trailer/camp-park, daughter's turkey, etc.), followed by the blade change appointment, demonstated his true intention for Saturday. MOO

I'll never forget this text exchange between BM and SM which I've long believed was twofold for BM: alibi and manipulation where SM would let her guard down.

Workaholic BM was still in the manipulative, love-bombing cycle-- offering up his Saturday for them to do one of SM's favored activities but when SM intuitively suggested she'd meet him in town, he immediately responded NO, he was coming home.

And what BM did when he got to Maysville (i.e., circling trailer/camp-park, daughter's turkey, etc.), followed by the blade change appointment, demonstated his true intention for Saturday. MOO
It's just so disheartening to read paragraph after paragraph of lies, and know that there are people out there who actually believe him.

Stories changing to match the evidence, flat out lies, exaggerations, and "I don't recalls."

It's stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member