Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a tiny run of DNA (from the glove box) that likely matched thousands of people in the US and even more in Asia - it was not an exclusive match.

But yes, there was at least one AZ sex offender within that group (matched via CODIS, presumably). Happens all the time with fragmentary, degraded touch DNA. So far as I know, BM was not at all excluded from that group by any statement in court, but it's been long enough that I might not be remembering.

IIRC. IMO.
Wasn't this a partial match? Meaning a full DNA sample from the glove box led to a probable relative of the person leaving the DNA glove box DNA.

I don't recall the glove box DNA being degraded, but maybe I am misremembering.

Wasn't this a partial match? Meaning a full DNA sample from the glove box led to a probable relative of the person leaving the DNA glove box DNA.

I don't recall the glove box DNA being degraded, but maybe I am misremembering.
There is a fair amount of unidentified dna also collected in the house, bike, helmet and other places in the car. IE’s complaint laid out the argument for what was known and not disclosed in a timely matter about dna, SM’s cell and laptop data and other pertinent information. Prosecution in some ways set themselves up for failure starting with the AA and the speculation BM was roaring around chasing SM with a dart gun. Prosecution just needs a fact based do over and full disclosure IMO.

There is a fair amount of unidentified dna also collected in the house, bike, helmet and other places in the car. IE’s complaint laid out the argument for what was known and not disclosed in a timely matter about dna, SM’s cell and laptop data and other pertinent information. Prosecution in some ways set themselves up for failure starting with the AA and the speculation BM was roaring around chasing SM with a dart gun. Prosecution just needs a fact based do over and full disclosure IMO.
So agree with this.
The chase was evident from cell data, MOO adding the dart gun thing was embellishmnet.

Not sure of all the DNA evidence in this case, but BM made some trash runs in his truck on the way to Bloomfield and
engaged with 2 workers around the time he was "away from home" for work and staying at the hotel right after her disappearance.

So maybe someone else's DNA off one of the trash cans he touched was transferred over when he went into his glove box or if one of the workers ever went into his glovebox for something, their DNA "somehow" got into the mix and conveniently (for BM) and complicated the picture. Hopefully the workers have been ruled out.

Just pondering some possibilities without being aware of all the details since he was in court, so anyone more knowledgeable, please feel free to correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree : }

I have to say I think he is guilty of killing Suzanne, and I am still apoplectic that the case against him was dismissed without prejudice !! JMO and MOO

"Trash runs
Barry was repeatedly caught stopping as he made his way to Broomfield to dispose of trash, including at a McDonalds and at a dumpster outside a Men's Wearhouse where he purchased a new outfit.
He had claimed to be tidying his truck.
But when he arrived back at the Morphew home on May 10, police said his truck was still filled with clutter and bits of trash, and showed photos to prove it.

Stinking hotel room
Barry had a job in Broomfield, Colorado, on May 11 and was due to collect employee Morgan Gentile at 5.30pm on May 10.
But instead, he suddenly decided to go on May 10 – arriving in Broomfield early that morning.
According to Gentile and co-worker Jeff Puckett, he left the room reeking of chlorine and littered with wet towels."

10 most damning pieces of evidence against Barry Morphew

The thing to remember is there is always a lot of unknown DNA in people's cars and houses. Law Enforcement swab surfaces they think an offender might have touched, in order to rule in a particular person who emerges during the investigation. They do not swab everything - that is not practical

So the fact that someone once touched SMs glovebox is of no relevance to the case. Indeed the RR is of no relevance to the case.

IE knows this. She is pretending in order to generate conspiracy theories.

Remember she had much of this information at the Prelim. She has known since long before the scheduled trial that there is no match with any sex offender, or any known person.

She is lying.

+1

The accused admitted he was running around with a gun

Why would the AA not state that?
iIRC was a .22 not dart gun. Yes, that would have been good to stick to his own starement.

Ignore the evidence against Barry and focus on partial DNA marker of someone related to unknown sex offender in a different state? Hard to believe this worked at the PH.

It only 'worked' because the witness messed up his explanation of what the 'hit' meant.

The judge allowed for the possibility that this potentially ruled in the out of state sex offender or persons unknown, because the witness created that impression. But we know from later proceedings that it was incorrect.

iIRC was a .22 not dart gun. Yes, that would have been good to stick to his own starement.

Yes - but given the other circumstantial evidence, it was a reasonable hypothesis that the gun might have a dart gun, or indeed another gun

The point is the prosecution is not trying to prove he definitely did that, but rather he was lying to cover up what he really did. We can't know why he was running - but we know he was.

it would not have been possible for the defence to deny he was running as the data suggested, unless Barry testified.

The thing to remember is there is always a lot of unknown DNA in people's cars and houses. Law Enforcement swab surfaces they think an offender might have touched, in order to rule in a particular person who emerges during the investigation. They do not swab everything - that is not practical

So the fact that someone once touched SMs glovebox is of no relevance to the case. Indeed the RR is of no relevance to the case.

Remember she had much of this information at the Prelim. She has known since long before the scheduled trial that there is no match with any sex offender, or any known person.

She is lying.

Yes! And IE was not getting any traction trying to resurrect the partial DNA evidence at a hearing with Judge Murphy so she waited until she had a new judge (Lama) and brought it up again as if it was newly discovered evidence that was withheld from the defense, and sadly, Lama bought IE's words as truth!

And here we are again.....

Cahill participated in interviews with Barry Morphew in the year leading up to his arrest May 5. The former agent was the last witness to testify at the end of a grueling four-day evidentiary hearing last August. He took the stand to explain how detectives investigated an unknown touch DNA profile found on the glovebox of Suzanne Morphew’s Range Rover.

[..]

According to information divulged in court hearings, the glove box DNA was a mixed partial sample of three profiles, including Suzanne Morphew, one of the Morphew daughters and a third person. The third profile is still unknown and contained markers similar to profiles found in three sex assault cases in Arizona and Chicago through the Combined DNA Index System.

It's unclear to whom the profiles belong, whether there is enough of a profile to identify a close match, or whether the profiles have been thoroughly investigated. The defense team said Barry Morphew's DNA has been excluded from the glove box sample; however, the unknown touch profile was not found anywhere else but on the glove box.

[..]

Morphew's attorneys argued during the first day of a two-day hearing that the prosecution had not shared evidence in a timely manner.

Eleventh Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama — who is new to the case, having been recently assigned to it — ordered prosecutors to turn over the internal affairs and resignation materials regarding Cahill.
^^rsbm

It only 'worked' because the witness messed up his explanation of what the 'hit' meant.

The judge allowed for the possibility that this potentially ruled in the out of state sex offender or persons unknown, because the witness created that impression. But we know from later proceedings that it was incorrect.
It's a fact that witness J Cahill did not testify as he was prepped by the prosecutor's office. IMO, Cahill's testimony was influenced by a phone call he received from IE the night before he testified.

Judge Murphy says he's a bit lost in what the argument is that defense attorneys are trying to get across here. Prosecutors say they're not sure why they're here for this hearing. Defense says they're trying to prove there was withholding of exculpatory evidence.
@KKTV11News

3:25 PM · Nov 9, 2021

Judge says the prosecution didn't really present much evidence during the preliminary hearing to show what the DNA match meant which he says helped him decide that there wasn't enough evidence to continue to keep #BarryMorphew without bond.
@KKTV11News

3:27 PM · Nov 9, 2021

Last edited:
Yes - but given the other circumstantial evidence, it was a reasonable hypothesis that the gun might have a dart gun, or indeed another gun

The point is the prosecution is not trying to prove he definitely did that, but rather he was lying to cover up what he really did. We can't know why he was running - but we know he was.

it would not have been possible for the defence to deny he was running as the data suggested, unless Barry testified.
MOO possible scenarios seem out of place in the PH.

Stick with the facts, he came home, she had just been communicating with a lover, there was a pattern of a chase around the house, her phone and every other sign of her life disappeared at that time.
Then a flurry of BM activity through the night, his phone being pinged near where the bike was dumped, a bogus work trip and multiple trash runs.

IMO
I wish a straight forward, prepared cell data expert witness, had explained the path of a chase in detail.
The chase something I was able to reconstruct just from released data, and did not include "running through walls.
Instead IE was able to achieve the suppression of the evidence by the confusing exercise in terminology that IE was able to make of the cell expert witness's testimony.
Ugh. He actually apologised to IE for not being up to date in his field.

I want

Perhaps she should be disbarred for fabrication. She's supposed to be an officer of the court, a truth seeker not a myth maker.

Jmo
MOO I really don't like IE, have unfortunately worked with people like her, super aggressive, overwhelming her target with insinuations, emails, voicemails, texts, random memos, official deliveries, talking to people out of order, time consiming requests etc.
BUT can it be expected for a defense attorney with this knowm style to go easy on a DA?

Reading the Tom Fallis case shows how a IE defense would go, and an example of failing against IE and so, clues on how to manage a successful prosecution against an IE defense.
Tom Fallis got off, guilt obvious, but police did not do due diligence reponding to the incident of his wife's gunshot death and so justice was not done.

She is lying.
Thank you. Imo you are 100% with no doubt in my mind correct.
She is doing what she accuses the prosecution of doing. She is lying. Twisting information into something it isn’t. But every time she does it.. if you read info across all platforms - she picks up a few more disciples. Her people that monitor the boards are still out there twisting themselves into pretzels to be her echo chamber. And those that abhor Stanley jump on board.
We all know Iris’ playbook because we have seen her in action. We saw/ heard about all her courtroom gameship - theatrics and drama that she packages as fact.
At any rate thank you for calling her out @mrjitty

So agree with this.
The chase was evident from cell data, MOO adding the dart gun thing was embellishmnet.
I don’t know if it is evident. We never got to a trial or any testimony by either side. I know where I am cell service is spotty and the Find My function will show phones jumping all over the place. I would need to hear some expert analysis before I could conclude the statement he was chasing SM around was an accurate statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper