Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, @Diddian and @10ofRods !
Since she was arrested, I suppose she can be discussed ?

I am only interested in what she knows, or knew, around the time of Suzanne's murder ?
For instance -- anything that she should have come forward with and refrained from doing so ... that may be useful when this goes to trial.
And, I think it will (go to trial).

Hope they're keeping a very close eye on the husband, BM !!
By now if he needs a lawyer, maybe he'll have to fall back on the ole' public defender.
What a shame if he's short on cash. :rolleyes:
Omo.

Last edited:
They actually found another body a few months ago while looking for her as well.

I remember seeing it in the news - they were releasing pictures of clothing in hopes of identifying him. Not sure if they ever did.

Hope they find her next.

That being said - I hope Barry shat himself with every Edna update that was making the news.
Thanks, @GoJacks - had already edited my post. Incredible two bodies recovered when searching for one. Hope the man is ID and EQ is found soon.

Opposite direction. I made a map of all the key locations in the case - but says it’s too big to upload, sigh.
Try a different format, like jpeg. If that doesn't work you can adjust the clarity.

I get it into Preview (on Mac; PDF format) and then Export. JPEG is an option. If you have a Mac and have trouble getting it into preview, use Command P as though you're going to print. Instead of printing, choose "Copy or save to PDF". Voilà. That's Preview; then export to JPEG. I do it all the time.

Last edited:
While it makes me sick to see that denial, I feel little but sympathy for the daughters as I am certain that BM has messed with their heads to serve himself their entire lives and especially so when SM was no longer there to provide any alternate perspective.

I pray they eventually clear the nonsense out AND reestablish bonds with SM's side of the family.
I absolutely agree with you. Somewhat overused term but I truly believe him to be a classic Narcissist or something similar to where he manipulates everyone and portrays himself as a victim.

Are we supposed to say? She's in MSM (Barry's girlfriend, whose house he moved into very soon after the murder). She's not a suspect. So I think I'm supposed to use her initials.

OTOH, I think she's in many, many MSM articles as Barry's girlfriend, who lived in downtown Salida. And I do believe he moved into her house. Also, on early threads, when her name was in the news, there were tons of discussions here. Let me see if I can find a MSM article that mentions her. Be right back.

Here we go:

Last I heard stealing someone's mail is a Federal offense...

While it makes me sick to see that denial, I feel little but sympathy for the daughters as I am certain that BM has messed with their heads to serve himself their entire lives and especially so when SM was no longer there to provide any alternate perspective.

I pray they eventually clear the nonsense out AND reestablish bonds with SM's side of the family.
And also, sometimes one parent will 'use' the kids to 'play off' against the other parent !
It's cruel and twisted, if BM did this.
Happened to my coworker's ex husband and their son. Their son is now fully reconciled with his mom, thankfully.
Omo.

Curious if the husband will 'off' himself , he has to know the clock is ticking.
Maybe he's too selfish to take that way out, though ?
Yet another reason I hope LE is watching him !
Imo.

I had given up hope that she would ever be found. I can't wait to hear the details. I sure hope that they were able to determine the cause of death. BM is the leading suspect. Everything points to him. Let's hope that justice will eventually be served.

I wonder if he will make a pitiful statement with his dutiful daughters supporting him stating how sad a day it is for all of them or if the statement will be made through his lawyer.

JMO.
If Barry takes off for Mexico or Canada or wherever, he will probably tell his daughters that he has to leave or he will be victimised again. And they will probably believe him. :(

Speculating ... It's concerning about the daughters once BM is arrested. I can't imagine the most difficult (besides losing their mother) part of all of this being the trial. How will they handle it? I'm sure Suzanne's sister will be there for them. I hope am wrong and they are strong. moo

It's a huge area with very sparse population. But yes, it has its share of murders, missing persons, cults, UFO sightings, and creepy local lore. Google "San Luis Valley" for more.

Statistically, people who murder or commit other crimes and try to dispose of evidence go to exactly such areas. Since bodies are found and locals are mystified, myth and lore have a strong foothold.

I worry that no evidence of tranq (unless the needles hit bone) will be there. I am hoping you are right.

Even if there are needle point marks on the bones, the Defense will still find a way to make it "very interesting."

I am a betting woman, and I bet that Barry cannot afford the same private defense lawyers, this time. However, I could be very wrong. I hate this phase of a crime case, but can't look away.
Yeah the article I posted:

indicated that toxicology is possible with skeletal remains, but it's not necessarily easy and it's dependent on numerous circumstantial factors, including the substance in question. To be clear, the study used marrow, which is rich in blood, to conduct the tests. While remains were reportedly scattered, which might indicate scavenging animals, the study states that "Bone marrow has the benefit that it is well protected from any contamination as long as the bone is intact. This makes it very suitable in case of extreme decomposition." It appears the drugs they had the most success with were things like methadone and oral antidepressants/antipsychotics that people take repeatedly, as opposed to recently introduced drugs, like, for example, alcohol or the substances in large animal tranquilizers.

However! They tested for 415 compounds! This is an article abstract that does not list all of them. Earlier today, I researched the most common tranquilizers used in dart guns to immobilize large animals. On a veterinary site, I found common compounds for deer:

Paralytic Drugs or neuromuscular blocking (NMB) drugs were some of the first drugs used for the chemical immobilization of wildlife. Despite their long history of use, NMB drugs are generally inferior to modern drugs and drug formulations. Two major deficiencies as regards NMB drugs exist: 1) NMB drugs have a very low safety margin; dosage errors of only 10% can result in either no effect (underdosing) or death by asphyxia (overdosing). 2) NMB drugs are virtually devoid of central nervous system effects because of their inability to cross the blood-brain barrier.2

Tranquilizers/Sedatives are primarily used in wildlife immobilization as adjuncts to primary anesthetics (e.g., ketamine) to hasten and smooth induction and recovery and to reduce the amount of the primary agent required to achieve immobilization. The α-adrenergic tranquilizers (e.g., xylazine, medetomidine) are potent sedatives and can be completely antagonized. These are often combined with ketamine, Telazol, or carfentanil. As single agents, they are capable of heavily sedating animals to the point of relatively safe handling. However, animals sedated with these tranquilizers generally can be aroused with stimulation and are capable of response or attack.2

Dissociative Anesthetics are characterized by producing a cataleptic state. Ketamine is probably one of the most widely used drugs of this type for wildlife immobilization because of its efficacy and safety. When used singly, ketamine can cause rough inductions and recoveries, and convulsions are not uncommon.2 Due to this aspect, they are usually administered concurrently with tranquilizers or sedatives.

Opioid Anesthetics have been used for animal immobilization since the middle of the last century and are among the most potent drugs available for this purpose. A major advantage of opioids is the availability of specific antagonists. The potency of opioids is both an advantage and disadvantage. An advantage is that the reduced volume of drug required for immobilization makes these the only class of drugs capable of remote immobilization of large animals. A disadvantage is that they are potentially toxic to humans. Death is almost always due to respiratory failure. Opioid immobilizing agents should never be used by clinicians working alone or without having an antagonist immediately on hand.

In order to be more sure, what I'd like to do is find the full article on the forensic toxicology study in my university's library, identify all 415 compounds they studied, and figure out if any match or have significant similarities to the common dart-administered veterinary tranqs. And they see if they were able to identify them in marrow from remains with extreme decomp.

It's not a sure shot by any means, but I think there's reason for hope.

It was a partial match to a couple of different sex offenders in CODIS. Let me say something about what that means. YOU could be a partial match as well. CODIS has only felons in it - but had they sent the same sample to, say, Othram, there could have been 1000 or 10000 partial matches.

Humans are 99.999% identical. So, each DNA study system uses specific regions of our DNA to compare. They found some of the same genes in the glove compartment (IIRC, it was on an owner's manual - so had been touched by car detailers, the dealer, the factory where it was made) as they found in some sex offenders. However, it was NOT a match.

And again - YOU could be the next match, if this technique was used in general. If we were all in a DNA database (I'm in two of them), we'd find ourselves matching all kinds of miscreants and others - as we are all related.

We all have very similar DNA. Since the glove compartment is not part of the crime scene AND because of the kind of misrepresentation by the defense (although it's understandable), here we are, 3.5 years later and this red herring is still swimming (and I get that).

I could go on (I'm related to a whole bunch of interesting people - pretty closely, too - not unlike this "partial match" from the glove compartment). "Partial match" could and is used to describe degrees of relationship that are like fourth cousin 2X removed. Direct lineage is a bit stronger (a parent/grandparent/great grandparent). Trust me - if you were to follow your own genealogy back to around 1800, you'd find some miscreants in there somewhere. Just statistically, we're all related. And if we go back far enough, we are ALL related to a sex offender of one kind or another. I am including cultural practices in which consent was not required or expected. Such as those of England or Germany in the 10th-16th centuries.

IOW, it's unlikely that the person who touched the owner's manual WAS the actual sex offender - but perhaps a cousin or something. They may get dragged into this, though.

As far as we know, this is not a stranger sex assault case. No sexual assault has been alleged. All the facts point directly to intimate partner violence.

I hope everyone here starts thinking about what kind of DNA might be in THEIR car (that would be exploited by the defense if you were harmed). Because the DNA from the manufacturers is there. It's possible to parse the DNA well enough to give hints (sometimes facts) about where the DNA came from (in the JonBenet case, the stranger DNA on the underwear was from a specific region in China - where the newly purchased underwear was manufactured). I do not think that some hapless Chinese worker got a visa and flew to Boulder to kill JonBenet.

As someone new to the case, your question was a good one - but I'm curious. Why was that your first question? Do you know the other facts of the case? Sorry if that sounds rude in text - I don't mean it that way. I'm truly curious

IMO.
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. Great stuff to know.

Package Delivery to Puma Path? BM's Former Address.
Last I heard stealing someone's mail is a Federal offense...
@Pharmasgirl Just FWIW, may not be much.

IIRC and not saying I do, package was delivered by UPS, FedEx, or another non-gov. affiliated service, not by USPS. Anyone else recall this or have a link?

Also the linked story* says, the charge filed against SD was for trespassing, not for stealing mail.

* Shoshona Darke Arrested, Allegedly Trespassed At Former Home Of Suzanne And Barry Morphew

Where's Barry?

Wait a sec. I do not recall reading about BM living in IND. these days but very well could have missed it.

Anyone have a link handy? TiA

Not to say that BM hasn't visited IN since his probation ended earlier this year but I think it's safe to say that BM's not currently residing anywhere near Hamilton County, IN, and any posts stating otherwise are relying on rumors or his use of his mother's address.

Take note that shortly after BM filed a $15M Civil Suit in the US District Court of COLORADO against the investigators and prosecutors in his criminal case, BM was sued for fraud in a land dispute by an Indiana couple.

Reportedly, BM was not in Indiana when his subpoena was served, and he's also not appeared in person in Hamilton County Court for the hearings already held on this case--the last hearing as recently as Sept 11, 2023, and instead, the record reflects counsel has appeared on his behalf.

BM also has some significant Court dates coming up on his Civil case in October and given he's the plaintiff, it doesn't follow he'd be absent from the state. Also, I'm sure the multi-party defendants being sued are eager to begin deposing BM-- especially now that Suzanne's remains have been located! MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prettyuglybefore