Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Arrest Affidavit
—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104 Thread #105 Thread #106 Thread #107 Thread #108

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still stunned he choose such a wide open expanse.

I think in no body cases a certain sense of mystique can build around the absence of the body when the reality is more down to blind luck . In this case a level of genius was ascribed to Barry's body disposal skills. It reminds me of the McStay case where so many conspiracies developed around where they might be

Yet this is actually what we should expect. He's dumped her somewhere where he thought she would never be found precisely because its a big expanse. The disposal is far enough away as not to be obviously connected to him, but it will be a place he knew about.

I suspect what he has done is dumped all the key evidence in the dumpsters, but he's been careful not to dump the body on his route. That was the misdirection here.

But in the end it is revealed to be a very dump crime and very badly executed because he's murdered her while they were home alone together so his whole alibi is epic fail.

I’m trying to remember what his explanation was for the scratches, I honestly don’t recall. Anyone else remember more about this?
IIRC, he said he got them while hiking with Suzanne. (Or from searching for her?)

Coincidentally, didn't he first say he and Suzanne went hiking on Saturday?

Perhaps "hiking" was a substitution for what they really did, that he didn't want to talk about.

He didn't say they were occupational hazards.

He. Associated. Them. With. Suzanne.

Jmo

Last edited:
Sept 28, 2023 article

[…]

When considering whether the evidence now points to Barry Morphew or another suspect, the prosecution and law enforcement are likely to proceed carefully, said Colin McCallin, a criminal defense attorney and former prosecutor who is not involved in the case.

“If there was a lesson to be learned, it’s that the initial prosecution was rushed,” he said. “No two ways about it. They made a charging decision without the benefit of having a body, without a crime scene, without a murder weapon — it was a very difficult prosecution from the very beginning… I would absolutely expect the district attorney’s office and CBI to move very methodically here. The last thing they want to do is charge anyone, much less Mr. Morphew again, just to see the case get dismissed because they’re not quite ready.”

[…]

IIRC, he said he got them while hiking with Suzanne.

Coincidentally, didn't he first say he and Suzanne went hiking on Saturday?

Perhaps "hiking" was a substitution for what they really did, that he didn't want to talk about.

He didn't say they were occupational hazards.

He. Associated. Them. With. Suzanne.

Jmo
Like he ever went hiking with Suzanne.

Apologies, I'm late to the party and haven't followed this case for quite a few months.

Can someone tell me what led the police to searching where they did? Was there a tip off? Was it just good fortune? Did someone discover remains and call it in?

I’m trying to remember what his explanation was for the scratches, I honestly don’t recall. Anyone else remember more about this?
Believe he attributed it to his work. (Just seen Megnuts post about the searches - that rings a bell)
Maybe the retaining wall in Broomfield just decided to attack him because he arrived ill-equipped and on a day he shouldn't have been there o_O

Moo
Ebm

Does anyone remember clothing of SMs being described as a fringe top? Why does that stick in my memory?
YES! 100% I just saw this in the last couple days as I was refreshing my memory on all the things. It was white shorts and a fringe top. I'll search for a link, but I did read this just this weekend!

@MassGuy this is your comment from the last thread and I about spit out my coffee this morning reading it. Just wanted to bring it over to this thread because it just sums up the ridiculousness that is Barry's excuses.

lol, I forgot about the prostate excuse. I guess when Barry goes pee, he takes his phone, goes outside to his truck and opens and closes doors. As one does.

On May 13, 2020 ( 3 days missing) he said must have happened when hiking.

24251629-671A-4523-B417-B5A1EC12D777.jpeg
Later, on January 27, 2021 he “ doesn’t recall “ how he got them.
But he does mention having to lie about her scratching him in the past.

DB421C8A-F105-4E61-B692-F53B926CED7E.jpeg
6E96793F-8C3C-4529-A722-4956644FFCAA.jpeg

CIVIL Docket Update on 10/1/2023:

U.S. District Court - District of Colorado​

District of Colorado (Denver)​

CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:23-cv-01108-DDD-SKC​

Morphew v. Chaffee County et al
Assigned to: Judge Daniel D. Domenico
Referred to: Magistrate Judge S. Kato Crews

Demand: $15,000,000
Cause: 42:1983 Civil Rights Act

Date Filed: 05/02/2023
Jury Demand: Plaintiff
Nature of Suit: 440 Civil Rights: Other
Jurisdiction: Federal Question

Plaintiff
Barry Morphew

Date Filed#Docket Text
09/28/2023
Joint MOTION for Order to Exceed Word Limit for Their Motions to Dismiss by Defendants John Camper, Megan Duge, Derek Graham, Kevin Koback, Kirby Lewis, Jeffrey Lindsey, Caitlin Rogers, Chris Schaefer, Linda Stanley, Linda (I) Stanley, Alex Walker. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order (PDF Only))(O'Connell, William) (Entered: 09/28/2023)

End of update - last docket entry #83 on 10/1/2023

ALL DEFENDANTS Answers to BM's Civil Complaint due by 10/13/23.

On 9/28/23 - Defendants Jeff Lindsey, Alex Walker, Linda Stanley, and ALL CBI defendants, filed a Joint Motion for Order to Exceed Word Limit for Their Motions to Dismiss.

Generally, a Motion to Dismiss shall not exceed 4,000 words. The Moving Defendants intend to file motions to dismiss all claims asserted against them pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P. 12(b)(6).

Given the Plaintiff's 185 page, 1042 paragraph Complaint asserts thirteen separate claims for
relief, the defendants cite that additional words are necessary for the Moving Defendants to adequately present their motions to dismiss given the length of Plaintiff’s Complaint, the complex nature of Plaintiff’s thirteen claims and the scope of Defendants’ defenses including absolute immunity for the prosecutor defendants and qualified immunity for all defendants. The defendants requested the Court extend the word limit for their respective motions to dismiss by 2,500 words—for a total of 6,500 words.

Of special note, counsel for Defendants Lindsey and Walker conferred with Plaintiff’s counsel, Jane Byrialsen, regarding the +words relief requested in the Motion, and Ms. Byrialsen objected to the relief requested.

Personally, I'm more than pleased to learn these defendants intend to file Motions to Dismiss in response to BM's Complaint, and I hope the Court sees through this charade of false and embellished allegations levied by BM, and grants the Motions and relief requested! MOO

@Niner

Last edited:
Does anyone remember clothing of SMs being described as a fringe top? Why does that stick in my memory?
YES! 100% I just saw this in the last couple days as I was refreshing my memory on all the things. It was white shorts and a fringe top. I'll search for a link, but I did read this just this weekend!
I read the affadavit last night and *think* that is what he initially said she was wearing when he left the house on Sunday, even though he claimed he left at 5am and she was sleeping. Then the story changed to her being n3ked and then in pajamas, saying she never slept n3ked.

Edited to include screenshot. From page 20 of the affadavit:

1696172918172.png

On May 13, 2020 ( 3 days missing) he said must have happened when hiking.

View attachment 450758
Later, on January 27, 2021 he “ doesn’t recall “ how he got them.
But he does mention having to lie about her scratching him in the past.

View attachment 450759
View attachment 450760
I couldn't find it! Thank you! So he said the half-moon scratches were from the hike they never went on and his attorney says they're from searching for her.

I'm trying to recall his sweeping gesture of all the mountains he'd searched, whether he flagged off all loints south, nothing to see there.

He couldn't keep his stories straight.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads