Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IF BM did know about JL. How long do we think he knew and how did he find out about him?
I don't think he knew whom.  Just that.

Further, I think he thought she was just talking to people, someone, but that it was a stick figure situation. Nothing that bothered him any, no threat. (Seeing as he never caught her with a man and she was still lovingkindnessing him...)

Until MDW when his mini cam smoked in all 50 shades.

IMO that's when he realized Suzanne was kindly loving someone else. He was INCENSED.

Which explains his activities at 11 am....

And 2:47 pm....

And 4 am....

He was never going to divorce freely, but IMO this is the first time he realized that Suzanne didn't just want out, she was replacing him.

And, that, that was never going to happen.

JMO

Any type of messaging to the media or public pushback by the P to the false D narratives outside of court, has been sorely lacking from the beginning of this case.
Sometimes family members or family friends make themselves available to interview or put out statements to rebut false narratives that find their way out there. Sometimes PR people are hired etc.
The P very much needs an aggressive PR type to get their message out to the media. Every time IE and her ilk lob a blooper over the net the P needs to smash it back at them - volley for volley. Hammer the truth home.
JMO.
Yes, yes, yes, see @10ofRods we need you & the infomercial idea!! MOO

I think this just started. Lauren Scharf is a panelist.

Good on LS -- she was sure to emphasize the glove box was "partial profile DNA" -- and wasn't going to hear of it any other way!

IF BM did know about JL. How long do we think he knew and how did he find out about him?
Sadly, I wonder if any of her friends knew and blabbered to the partner who told Barry. JL didn’t live in vacuum either.
On the other hand, Barry might have felt, but never put two and two together because the whole case was staged as if she was abducted by someone living to the South. DNA being a partial match to someone from AZ. I remember how we thought that her body was hidden in AZ, discussed it here. He could be suspecting AZ. He could be thinking of someone “to the South of CO” because SM met with JL in New Orleans, Dallas and FL.

The last ping of Suzanne’s phone occurred at 4:23AM on Mother’s Day 11.5 miles west of Poncha Springs tower as shown on figure below (the small red arrow is Morphew home). If this ping location is even approximately correct, Mr. Morphew’s claim of seeing/hearing Suzanne in the matrimonial bed around 5 in the morning is untenable (i.e., bull biosolids).
1697740093582.png
The reliability of cell phone location data has been widely discussed in the Arrest Affidavit, the civil complaint and on this forum. A significant issue (in my mind) is whether the reliability relates to the phone’s GPS signal (from satellite) or the phone’s cell signal (from tower).

The accuracy of many of the GPS locations was challenged by defense counsel for various reasons including “static drift”. But the location of the last ping on Suzanne’s phone was based on the tower signal.

While both signals may be affected by things such as buildings and mountains, they won’t be affected in the same way because one signal is moving largely horizontally to a tower, the other (GPS) vertically to a satellite. This difference might be significant in assessing the accuracy of the “last ping”.

GPS, like the signal to a cell tower, requires line of sight (LOS) for the best accuracy. GPS reliability will be compromised by the fact that the area of the Morphew home, helmet dump and last ping are in a narrow canyon (unless satellite is directly overhead it is unlikely to have LOS). However, as shown in the figure, there is direct line of sight between the Poncha Tower and the last ping of Suzanne’s phone. The elevation of the last ping is about 9600 feet, and the highest intervening land elevation is only 9400.

This, I would argue, makes the accuracy of the last ping location “more reliable” and points to her phone being roughly 3 miles west of their home early on May 10. Coincidently, this is about where Mr. Morphew admitted turning around after his pre-dawn elk chase the same day.

This mountain effect on the tower signal explains why the cell reception is so poor at the Morphew home. As shown in the figure below, their house at 8760 ft, is tucked in behind a mountainside with elevation 9400 ft (the black distance line is direct path from Poncha Springs tower).
1697740904147.png

The last ping of Suzanne’s phone occurred at 4:23AM on Mother’s Day 11.5 miles west of Poncha Springs tower as shown on figure below (the small red arrow is Morphew home). If this ping location is even approximately correct, Mr. Morphew’s claim of seeing/hearing Suzanne in the matrimonial bed around 5 in the morning is untenable (i.e., bull biosolids).
View attachment 454496
The reliability of cell phone location data has been widely discussed in the Arrest Affidavit, the civil complaint and on this forum. A significant issue (in my mind) is whether the reliability relates to the phone’s GPS signal (from satellite) or the phone’s cell signal (from tower).

The accuracy of many of the GPS locations was challenged by defense counsel for various reasons including “static drift”. But the location of the last ping on Suzanne’s phone was based on the tower signal.

While both signals may be affected by things such as buildings and mountains, they won’t be affected in the same way because one signal is moving largely horizontally to a tower, the other (GPS) vertically to a satellite. This difference might be significant in assessing the accuracy of the “last ping”.

GPS, like the signal to a cell tower, requires line of sight (LOS) for the best accuracy. GPS reliability will be compromised by the fact that the area of the Morphew home, helmet dump and last ping are in a narrow canyon (unless satellite is directly overhead it is unlikely to have LOS). However, as shown in the figure, there is direct line of sight between the Poncha Tower and the last ping of Suzanne’s phone. The elevation of the last ping is about 9600 feet, and the highest intervening land elevation is only 9400.

This, I would argue, makes the accuracy of the last ping location “more reliable” and points to her phone being roughly 3 miles west of their home early on May 10. Coincidently, this is about where Mr. Morphew admitted turning around after his pre-dawn elk chase the same day.

This mountain effect on the tower signal explains why the cell reception is so poor at the Morphew home. As shown in the figure below, their house at 8760 ft, is tucked in behind a mountainside with elevation 9400 ft (the black distance line is direct path from Poncha Springs tower).
View attachment 454499
What an excellent and thoughtful perspective! Love the 3D graphics

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Heart-stricken, innocent people, even if accused, as many are until they can be cleared by LE (an issue unto itself for Mr. Morphew), might offer something like, “while the discovery is not what we hoped for…… thankful to be bringing her home……… our focus now is to grieve as a family…. ". To be fair, the first release by the Eytan Law Firm on Sept. 27 had a some of this, but also:

"Neither the DA nor the authorities notified Mallory and Macy Morphew about the recovery of their mom."

"From what we kno w, Barry is as innocent as he was from Day 1. DA Stanley and law enforcement got it wrong. We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing."

The first point has no purpose in a family statement of grief, but moreover is wrong. The notification is given to the next of kin, not each individual family member. (In most jurisdictions next of kin is recognized in the order: spouse or legal domestic partner, adult children, parents, siblings, grandparents, extended family, and guardian of minor children.) It is an obvious public jab at LE.

The second point about his innocence is similarly a jab, and if not outright wrong is certainly premature. This posturing, I would suggest, undermines what should be a simple, solemn, and deeply emotional statement.

The law firm’s statement the next day, Sept. 28, has been dissected previously in numerous posts and reads more like part of an opening statement for a future trial.

On a slightly different note, while viewing the pic of Mr. Morphew’s counsel getting a Bar(ry) Hug, I found the bile rising,….. faster and faster and faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 454496

Great post!

Right this is a key point.

GPS, like the signal to a cell tower, requires line of sight (LOS) for the best accuracy. GPS reliability will be compromised by the fact that the area of the Morphew home, helmet dump and last ping are in a narrow canyon (unless satellite is directly overhead it is unlikely to have LOS).

There is are two additional factors here which is the corroboration of the Truck and the concept of baseline.

GPS had no problem positioning the Truck to at least within a few feet of its location. So while I might accept that a phone that was inside the house might jump around a little bit, in isn't likely to jump right out of the location

Indeed 3 devices stayed rock solid at PP - BMs phone, SM's phone and the truck - until BM told us he left.

i.e both the truck and the tower read on SMs phone tell us that the GPS read was accurate enough.

However, as shown in the figure, there is direct line of sight between the Poncha Tower and the last ping of Suzanne’s phone. The elevation of the last ping is about 9600 feet, and the highest intervening land elevation is only 9400.

View attachment 454499

here is where baseline is so important.

SM's phone stays at PP according to the tower, until the time BM's GPS, Truck telematics and BM interview, tell us he left PP and did the left turn.

Hell of a coincidence.

Further as I understand it, SMs phone did not suddenly appear 11.5 miles west of the tower but rather moved there based on 3 reads in it's last 10 mins of connection.

As I read SleuthBee’s comment that, “In response to the discovery of SM's body, IE's reaction was inappropriate for the situation. She penned not one, but two emotional reactions to the public that didn't align with a loving husband learning that his wife was murdered.”, I found myself nodding yes,……… faster and faster and faster.

(……

"From what we know, Barry is as innocent as he was from Day 1. DA Stanley and law enforcement got it wrong. We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing."

(……..

The second point about his innocence is similarly a jab, and if not outright wrong is certainly premature. This posturing, I would suggest, undermines what should be a simple, solemn, and deeply emotional statement.

(…….
This! And yes. I snipped a bit for focus on this response:

When I first read that statement, I thought that second point was “From what we knew,…… “ …….. (as the remains had been discovered when the statement was released).

I learned from my divorce attorney years back, that some things are not said or left unsaid, and other things not responded to or dignified with a response or comment. And yet also have seen some that will use scorched earth tactics no matter the cost.
MOO
And note to the poster above with that great input: I hope the approach used to clarify my response is ok. Wasn’t sure how to do that.

<snipped for focus>
Further as I understand it, SMs phone did not suddenly appear 11.5 miles west of the tower but rather moved there based on 3 reads in it's last 10 mins of connection.
Would that mean BM put her sim card back in the phone 11.5 miles away?

Regarding GPS location and cell tower pings, I am not clear about the difference between putting a phone into airplane mode vs pulling out the sim card. But it seems to me that Barry didn't realize that putting his phone into airplane mode was detectable.

Unless one is on an airplane, the only reason to put a phone into airplane mode is to avoid detection. It would be interesting to know how often Barry did this when NOT on an airplane.

Regarding GPS location and cell tower pings, I am not clear about the difference between putting a phone into airplane mode vs pulling out the sim card. But it seems to me that Barry didn't realize that putting his phone into airplane mode was detectable.

Unless one is on an airplane, the only reason to put a phone into airplane mode is to avoid detection. It would be interesting to know how often Barry did this when NOT on an airplane.

Airplane mode doesn't necessarily have a fixed meaning - but generally it turns off all the radios i.e bluetooth, cellular and WiFi

But I currently have airplane active, but also WiFi+Bluetooth active

This is because I am roaming and don't want to receive an incoming text/call

I doubt he removed the SIM.

As they have BMs phone, i presume they have the log files on what modes he used

Thank you everyone for your insightful posts. While we wait for more information on Suzanne’s remains, which fact based arguments you would use if you were on the Defense and the Prosecution side?
Prosecution: Barry arrived home. Suzanne's digital life ended abruptly and she was never heard from again.

Defense: well, exactly. Static drift. Or something.

jmo

In airplane mode, your phone is disconnected from cellular networks (i.e., cell tower radio signal), but you can still use the device — even connect it to WIFI and enable Bluetooth. Salida locals can confirm it's not unusual to use airplane mode when you're in a dead zone (no cell signal) because your phone is designed to continuously roam for the best cellular signal which can drain your battery quickly.

True GPS (Global Positioning System) navigation technology that detects and pins down the location of a person or device anywhere in the world uses signals and satellites, and not cellular data from your phone plan.

However, unless you own a satellite phone, I think if you check with your cell carrier and/or device manual, you'll find your cell phone/smart phone is actually "assisted GPS" (A-GPS), and relies on both phone data signals and satellite signals.

This! And yes. I snipped a bit for focus on this response:

When I first read that statement, I thought that second point was “From what we knew,…… “ …….. (as the remains had been discovered when the statement was released).

I learned from my divorce attorney years back, that some things are not said or left unsaid, and other things not responded to or dignified with a response or comment. And yet also have seen some that will use scorched earth tactics no matter the cost.
MOO
And note to the poster above with that great input: I hope the approach used to clarify my response is ok. Wasn’t sure how to do that.
I also stumbled for a minute on the statement’s phrase, “From what we know, Barry is as innocent as he was from Day 1…….”

Is it, (1), “From what we know” meaning what we know so far (i.e., hedging the bet in case something incriminating is found with the remains).

Or, is it, (2), “From what we know” meaning what we know now, at last, about where she was disposed of (i.e., implying the body being found in a place not previously mentioned by LE proves he is innocent).

The first statement very marginally passes the sniff test, the latter would require a nose transplant.

And, BTW, clarification is always in order, thank you.

View attachment 454027
[..]

View attachment 454028

Docket: #87 -- LS Motion to Dismiss
#91 -- FBI Motion for Extension
#93 -- Chaffee County et., al. Motion for Extension
#94 -- Lindsey and Walker Motion to Dismiss
#95 -- Mark Hurlbert Motion to Dismiss
#97 -- CBI Motion to Dismiss
#98 -- Joseph Cahill Motion to Dismiss
#99 -- Himschoot and Hysjulien Motion for Extension

Update to the Civil Docket as of 10/20/23:

The Court granted the unopposed request by "Chaffee County," et. al for an extension to answer BM's Complaint until 10/27/23. -- Interesting this extension granted little time when the Motion was unopposed because the plaintiff indicated they were contemplating removing certain Chaffee County employees from the lawsuit.

In comparison, the Motion for the FBI's request for an extension to respond to the Complaint was granted to 12/26/23. Here, the plaintiff previously failed to respond to the defendant whether or not they would be opposed.

Motion by defendants Himschoot and Hysjulien to extend response to Complaint was granted to 11/3/23.

Last edited:
Curious if she shared her location with Barry or the girls when she went biking for safety. Maybe not with BM if both SM and BM were having affairs and wanted privacy but in order for her to see the girls locations, I think she would need to share hers to them. So they may have wondered what was going on when they could not text her or see her location. I do wonder what they are hoping to find with her remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring