Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's highly likely LE does not want to reveal what REALLY led them to the area (protection of witness, etc). I definitely do wonder if the press release was misleading in this respect.
It wouldn't surprise me, LE can use "less than transparent" tactics in the case of an ongoing investigation. They do not have to share the details with the public a lot of times in order to keep the suspect from fleeing.

Reiterating my theory -- because I can't shake it.

I think Barry left PP around 11 pm. With a cooler. Used an ATV to gain access to another truck. Fire house....

Barry's attempt to bury Suzanne under the foundation at the beach site, thwarted.

Why Moffat? It's all he had time for.

Entirely possible he expected to go back and do a better job later, when no one was looking, but didn't dare after all eyes were on him. Too paranoid to risk returning to the scene.....

It's possible he was driving another truck at 11, drove back to PP, hitched his trailer, and drove to the beach site... this would account for the dog alerts. Early for cadaverine, but he'd be 9 hours out so maybe...

If he left the beach at 12:30am, he had to book it out toward Moffat in order to do his deed and get the rogue vehicle back, ATV home again, and be ready for his fake start to his fake work day.

IMO Barry started with about 4 hours to work with. Ate up a chunk at the beach site, a wasted effort, leaving him barely 2 hours to get Suzanne as far away as the time would allow.

Rush job.

JMO
I also think he thought of burying her under the concrete at some point. There is a reason LE dug that concrete work up Megs.

MOO

Reiterating my theory -- because I can't shake it.

I think Barry left PP around 11 pm. With a cooler. Used an ATV to gain access to another truck. Fire house....

Barry's attempt to bury Suzanne under the foundation at the beach site, thwarted.

Why Moffat? It's all he had time for.

Entirely possible he expected to go back and do a better job later, when no one was looking, but didn't dare after all eyes were on him. Too paranoid to risk returning to the scene.....

It's possible he was driving another truck at 11, drove back to PP, hitched his trailer, and drove to the beach site... this would account for the dog alerts. Early for cadaverine, but he'd be 9 hours out so maybe...

If he left the beach at 12:30am, he had to book it out toward Moffat in order to do his deed and get the rogue vehicle back, ATV home again, and be ready for his fake start to his fake work day.

IMO Barry started with about 4 hours to work with. Ate up a chunk at the beach site, a wasted effort, leaving him barely 2 hours to get Suzanne as far away as the time would allow.

Rush job.

JMO
If Barry thought of going back to do a better job of burying Suzanne, then he sure was mistaken when he told MG he could bury a body snd no one would ever find it. Over confidant or just plain stupid?

Now that they know he got himself to Moffat, I hope there was a renewed push to find his mystery machine. And that there's data to pull!

Waiting patiently for the full autopsy report.

It's just a matter of time now.

Jmo

It seems to some (i.e. me) that the prosecution’s case has a lot to work with, so there are many options for how they tell the story and the order of witnesses and evidence presentation. I offer a crude outline of sorts for some big points. The collective knowledge (and likely better memory) of this group can no doubt expand this 10 or 100-fold.

Means
  • Tranquilizers
  • Guns
  • Physical strength
Motive
  • Divorce
  • Suspicions or knowledge of affair
  • Money
  • Self esteem (image) issues if she left
Opportunity
  • Long period of unaccounted for time alone with Suzanne
  • Children gone
  • Occurred in dead of night in very remote area
  • Neither communicated directly with anyone from the afternoon of 9th to late morning (or possibly later) on the 10th.
Conscious of Guilt
  • Proven falsehoods (state of their marriage, previous physical abuse and many more)
  • Many changes in his story during his interviews with LE made to try and conform with what he knew or thought LE had proof of (like turning west and going by the helmet dump location)
  • Ridiculous amount of things he “can’t recall” (among them broken bedroom door and daughter's stripped bed).
  • Trash disposal at multiple points, including many things he couldn’t recall, though he did remember tranquilizer waste and “old boots”. ((likely the one’s he’d been wearing vey recently until they rather abruptly wore out).
  • Illogic and falsehoods about the wall job (need to leave at 5AM, employees unaware of work schedule, spends 20 minutes at site, the lie about call to neighbor from jobsite….….."
  • Staging bike “incident” (no indication of crash, helmet far away, her shades, wallet, camel back in car, cell phone gone)
  • Selling assets, hooking up with new woman rather rapidly (given she was still technically missing)
There is no other remotely plausible perpetrator.
  • No one known to Suzanne, other than her husband, had motive, means or opportunity (the boyfriend has been conclusively ruled out)
  • No one unknown to Suzanne would stage the bike and helmet (but obviously Mr. Morphew would have clear M,M & O to do so and admits driving past the locations of both bike and helmet in the dark the day Suzanne is reported missing).
I’ve got to think a bit more about what will comprise the case for the defense (have to pick up an economy sized bottle of Pepto Bismol first). One would think it should include explaining away the above as innocent coincidence, misunderstandings, shaken memory due to the trauma of his wife’s disappearance, flawed police work, bad cell phone reception, and unreliable witnesses (the meth heads and drug addicts).

I would expect various affirmative defenses as well (such as his truck and phone records suggesting he couldn’t have travelled to the burial site). Gonna give this some more thought, but I’m anticipating theatrics, ala the OJ trial. I could see the defense strategy including homage to Johnny Cochrane, something like:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the State has not been able to prove the precise location where Suzanne was murdered! I submit you must find Mr. Morphew not guilty because, If they can’t say where he did it, they can’t say Barry did it!!
Nice summary! One difference. “No indication of crash. Helmet far away.”
Barry staged an abduction where the bad guy(s) tossed the bike into the ravine and tossed the helmet out a minute later as they went west on US 50.

It wouldn't surprise me, LE can use "less than transparent" tactics in the case of an ongoing investigation. They do not have to share the details with the public a lot of times in order to keep the suspect from fleeing.
However, if he fled, that would pretty much be an admission of guilt, IMO. Then he could be caught and charged again.

Since IE is speaking for the Morphews, I don't imagine she'll make any announcement if/when the coroner releases SM's remains unless she can spin the story in a way that generates both some $$$$ and goodwill for her client. JMO

BM placed himself down on a place with no/little trees and looked at the sky, while a search was underway, and someone took a photo of him. Do you remember??
Is this area connected to a way in the Moffat direction? Could she have been buried at place 1 and later taken to place 2?

BM placed himself down on a place with no/little trees and looked at the sky, while a search was underway, and someone took a photo of him. Do you remember??
Is this area connected to a way in the Moffat direction? Could she have been buried at place 1 and later taken to place 2?
General consensus places Barry planting his backside at White Pine. By my maths, that's in the opposite direction from Moffat, CO.

Only one thing seems certain. Barry was in a lot of places that night. Busy, busy B...

JMO

White Pine is actually outside of Gunnison - (where MM1 was living and attended Univ).
Some history here:

General consensus places Barry planting his backside at White Pine. By my maths, that's in the opposite direction from Moffat, CO.

Only one thing seems certain. Barry was in a lot of places that night. Busy, busy B...

JMO
Quoting myself to state the obvious:

Of all the places Busy Busy B was that night, the only place he wasn't was in bed, where he said he was. Prostate be damned.

JMO

I see it’s going to be a loooong year waiting……

Oh Barry…….we have something in common! Like you, we are living in “anticipation” of your arrest. However, the emotion we will feel when it finally happens will be immensely different than yours.

I almost want to say, “Enjoy your freedom, while you can,” but, I don’t really want you to enjoy anything, especially not what you stole from Suzanne, her life. I think you were beginning to get too comfortable, thinking you were “home free,” that it would all just fizzle away and you and SD could live ”happily ever after.“

And then…… KABOOM! Suzanne appears. And, she will have the final word.

I like that!

As we languish in forensic limbo awaiting some new relevant information, the link between Mr. Morphew and the burial site seems fertile ground for speculation. Here are a few dots that might be connected to a possible timeline and route of the disposal run.

I’ve plotted four locations from pages 22 and 23 in the Defense Preliminary Hearing Exhibit D. These represent the last four locations (other than a gas station and 8 minutes at a lot in Poncha Springs) of Mr. Morphew’s “Barry Skid”, i.e., Bobcat, just prior to Suzanne’s final independently verifiable communication around 2 PM on May 9 .

6900-7064 County Road 105, Salida (the “beach site”, later excavated by LE) -- On May 9 from 7:47 to 9:35AM (13:06 to 15:00 UTC, which is -6 hours from CO time)

10309 Hutchison, Poncha Springs – On May 9 from 12:06 to 1PM

19507 Puma Path -- On May 9 from 1:29 to 1:34PM

11-30 Rex Circle/7625 Hwy. 50, Salida (Diesslin Structures) -- On May 9 from 1:56 to 2:10PM

Mr. Morphew arrived at the marital home at 2:42PM.

1698184276875.png
Before delving into what the above locations might mean for the dump run, one wonders why the machine was briefly taken back home (17 minutes to the west) and then almost immediately back to the east (it’s 19 minutes from Puma Path to Diesslin Structures). This may have been thoroughly hashed out previously, but if not, more fertile speculative ground.

Back to the dots. There are several backroad routes from the beach site project to Highway 50 south of Poncha Springs (i.e., route to grave site). These slightly different routes are about 10 miles.

I found it interesting that these several back routes all go directly past the job site on Hutchison Lane as shown on figure below. From the point where the backroad route hits Highway 50, it is 37 miles south to the disposal ground. So, if Mr. Morphew was aware of these backroads, which I think is more than possible, these routes might have figured into his disposal plan.

Side note: the easiest beginner mountain bike trail in the Salida area is along one of the possible backroad routes; this area might have been known to Mr. Morphew from Suzanne’s then recently acquired mountain bike hobby.1698184426834.png
So hypothetically, a possible timeline based on the report of a machine firing up at the beach site after midnight on May 10 could be:

• 12.30AM Leave beach site, take backroads past the Hutchison location (more on this below).
  • Arrive at junction of County Rd. 115 and Highway 285 by 1:00AM or slightly earlier (10 miles)
  • Arrive at burial site south of Moffat (37 mi) by 1:30AM or earlier.
  • Shallow burial by 2:00 – 2:15AM
  • Return to Puma Path by 3:00AM or so.
I would suggest the travel times could have been shorter if he was jamming and also, since we don’t really know the depth of burial, that time could have been relatively short.

So, if Mr. Morphew took this route, I’m wondering if the Hutchison Lane job site has anything to do with the choice or could lead to other corroborative evidence.

Some things I’m actively speculating upon –

1. How much Mr. Morphew considered the likely presence of cameras along main roads in selecting his route.

2. Did he take a quad to get to the Hutchison Lane site where something (like a vehicle or quad) might have been available to assist in the crime?

3. If the Hutchison site figures into his plan, it implies pre-planning, which may conflict with other theories about the murder (i.e., that he wigged out and spontaneously killed her when he came home on Friday afternoon and found her sexting with boyfriend).

4. Were there vehicles available to him at Diesslin Structures?

5. Even if he didn’t go from the beach site, could the Hutchison site figure into his disposal run somehow, given that it’s only about 2 miles by backroad from Highway 50.

Hopefully, the group can place some realistic constraints on this wild speculation.

Since IE is speaking for the Morphews, I don't imagine she'll make any announcement if/when the coroner releases SM's remains unless she can spin the story in a way that generates both some $$$$ and goodwill for her client. JMO
Would she be able to request or have privy to any future reports if Barry isn't arrested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring