Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we languish in forensic limbo awaiting some new relevant information, the link between Mr. Morphew and the burial site seems fertile ground for speculation. Here are a few dots that might be connected to a possible timeline and route of the disposal run.

I’ve plotted four locations from pages 22 and 23 in the Defense Preliminary Hearing Exhibit D. These represent the last four locations (other than a gas station and 8 minutes at a lot in Poncha Springs) of Mr. Morphew’s “Barry Skid”, i.e., Bobcat, just prior to Suzanne’s final independently verifiable communication around 2 PM on May 9 .

6900-7064 County Road 105, Salida (the “beach site”, later excavated by LE) -- On May 9 from 7:47 to 9:35AM (13:06 to 15:00 UTC, which is -6 hours from CO time)

10309 Hutchison, Poncha Springs – On May 9 from 12:06 to 1PM

19507 Puma Path -- On May 9 from 1:29 to 1:34PM

11-30 Rex Circle/7625 Hwy. 50, Salida (Diesslin Structures) -- On May 9 from 1:56 to 2:10PM

Mr. Morphew arrived at the marital home at 2:42PM.

View attachment 455618
Before delving into what the above locations might mean for the dump run, one wonders why the machine was briefly taken back home (17 minutes to the west) and then almost immediately back to the east (it’s 19 minutes from Puma Path to Diesslin Structures). This may have been thoroughly hashed out previously, but if not, more fertile speculative ground.

Back to the dots. There are several backroad routes from the beach site project to Highway 50 south of Poncha Springs (i.e., route to grave site). These slightly different routes are about 10 miles.

I found it interesting that these several back routes all go directly past the job site on Hutchison Lane as shown on figure below. From the point where the backroad route hits Highway 50, it is 37 miles south to the disposal ground. So, if Mr. Morphew was aware of these backroads, which I think is more than possible, these routes might have figured into his disposal plan.

Side note: the easiest beginner mountain bike trail in the Salida area is along one of the possible backroad routes; this area might have been known to Mr. Morphew from Suzanne’s then recently acquired mountain bike hobby.View attachment 455620
So hypothetically, a possible timeline based on the report of a machine firing up at the beach site after midnight on May 10 could be:

• 12.30AM Leave beach site, take backroads past the Hutchison location (more on this below).
  • Arrive at junction of County Rd. 115 and Highway 285 by 1:00AM or slightly earlier (10 miles)
  • Arrive at burial site south of Moffat (37 mi) by 1:30AM or earlier.
  • Shallow burial by 2:00 – 2:15AM
  • Return to Puma Path by 3:00AM or so.
I would suggest the travel times could have been shorter if he was jamming and also, since we don’t really know the depth of burial, that time could have been relatively short.

So, if Mr. Morphew took this route, I’m wondering if the Hutchison Lane job site has anything to do with the choice or could lead to other corroborative evidence.

Some things I’m actively speculating upon –

1. How much Mr. Morphew considered the likely presence of cameras along main roads in selecting his route.

2. Did he take a quad to get to the Hutchison Lane site where something (like a vehicle or quad) might have been available to assist in the crime?

3. If the Hutchison site figures into his plan, it implies pre-planning, which may conflict with other theories about the murder (i.e., that he wigged out and spontaneously killed her when he came home on Friday afternoon and found her sexting with boyfriend).

4. Were there vehicles available to him at Diesslin Structures?

5. Even if he didn’t go from the beach site, could the Hutchison site figure into his disposal run somehow, given that it’s only about 2 miles by backroad from Highway 50.

Hopefully, the group can place some realistic constraints on this wild speculation.
Good post. RE number 3, Barry killed Suzanne on Saturday, not Friday.

Would she be able to request or have privy to any future reports if Barry isn't arrested?

I'm not sure I understand OP's question. Are you asking if IE could request info on SM's remains if BM was arrested? Or just inquire on the status of the remains (ready for release) to next of kin for burial?

In the quoted post, I was referring to IE's Press Release on Sept 28 citing how her clients (Morphew family) were in shock and experiencing much grief, and all statements from the family would be by their legal team. Here, I think IE probably means both the civil and criminal legal teams.

Good post. RE number 3, Barry killed Suzanne on Saturday, not Friday.

May 18, 2021

... now faces two additional charges of tampering with a deceased human body and possession of a dangerous weapon.

The document accuses Barry Morphew of tampering with a deceased human body between May 9 and 10, 2020.
The tampering with physical evidence charge lists dates between May 9, 2020, to March 4, 2021. The same dates are also included in the weapons possession charge.

^^rsbm

I love any visual aids -- thank you @Hilt !

By the Hutchison Lane reference at Poncha Springs, is this the same as the Tailwind Project? Thank you.
Yes, the Hutchison Lane site is the Tailwinds Project and the correct time for the Bobcat at that location should have been on May 9 from 10:06 to 11PM (not 12:06 to 1PM). After leaving this site he headed home and crept up on the Puma Path house overland from the east while ostensibly looking for a week-old dead turkey (It is a testimony to the professionalism of the FBI agents who elicited that admission from Mr. Morphew that they didn’t burst out laughing in his face).

I still wonder why he took the bobcat home and then back to Diesslin Structures in Salida. It would seem far more logical to drive 7 minutes to Diesslin from Hutchison Lane, drop the bobcat and then drive 19 minutes home without a trailer (26 minutes total, most without trailer). Instead he drives 17 minutes to home and back 19 minutes to Diesslin pulling a trailer, and then another 19 minutes home (55 minutes total, mostly with trailer). This doesn't sound like the cheapskate who disposes of his trash at private businesses and saves the shoe laces from boots he is throwing away.

On this same point, the cheapskate excuse for bizarre behaviors doesn't seem to comport with his arriving at the hotel in Broomfield at 8:30AM on Mother's Day. In order to check in that early you almost certainly would have to have paid for another day since standard check in is 3PM. So why would the parsimonious Mr. Morphew spend money on a room that he didn't need to check into until that evening? He could have left later in the day, gone to the job site for his 20 minutes of work at the wall, and then checked in nearer 3PM to avoid the cost. Suffice to say, my theory explaining this behavior involves homicide.

I still wonder why he took the bobcat home and then back to Diesslin Structures in Salida. It would seem far more logical to drive 7 minutes to Diesslin from Hutchison Lane, drop the bobcat and then drive 19 minutes home without a trailer (26 minutes total, most without trailer). Instead he drives 17 minutes to home and back 19 minutes to Diesslin pulling a trailer, and then another 19 minutes home (55 minutes total, mostly with trailer). This doesn't sound like the cheapskate who disposes of his trash at private businesses and saves the shoe laces from boots he is throwing away.
^^rsbm

IIRC, BM backtracking to DSI had to do with 'Crip's' equipment schedule on Saturday.

I think it was something as simple as BM failed to keep his Saturday morning appointment at DSI (or the courtesy of calling) because he worked at the Beach late Friday night, and the mechanic already had work scheduled for the afternoon. Instead, BM agreed to wait for a call from Crip if he could fit the Bobcat in mid-afternoon. I think this is supported in BM's phone records. JMO

May 18, 2021

... now faces two additional charges of tampering with a deceased human body and possession of a dangerous weapon.

The document accuses Barry Morphew of tampering with a deceased human body between May 9 and 10, 2020.
The tampering with physical evidence charge lists dates between May 9, 2020, to March 4, 2021. The same dates are also included in the weapons possession charge.
Yes and May 9th was on Saturday. Your post said Friday.

Yes and May 9th was on Saturday. Your post said Friday.
It was an excellent post but it wasn't my post. My apologies for the confusion.

I quoted your post; however, the data point should have been posted solo for the point was to show that the DAs office feels the tampering of physical evidence occurred from SAT, May 9 2020 - THURS, March 4, 2021.

The data point was dropped in hopes of generating discussion of reasons the DA feels the tampering may have happened as late as March 4, 2021. Where was BM living 3/4/21? Does LE possess data that confirms veracity of this late date of tampering? Why not include FRI, March 5?

Had a thought -- is it possible that Barry's cameras weren't precisely positioned? And he nore heard Suzanne than saw her? Did he race home in a rage believing she was not alone?

Or did Suzanne mean exactly what she said, no longer cared what BM was doing or thinking and was especially bold that day, living her truth.

And no way in hell was he going to let that happen.

And here we are.

JMO

It was an excellent post but it wasn't my post. My apologies for the confusion.

I quoted your post; however, the data point should have been posted solo for the point was to show that the DAs office feels the tampering of physical evidence occurred from SAT, May 9 2020 - THURS, March 4, 2021.

The data point was dropped in hopes of generating discussion of reasons the DA feels the tampering may have happened as late as March 4, 2021. Where was BM living 3/4/21? Does LE possess data that confirms veracity of this late date of tampering? Why not include FRI, March 5?
Oh I’m so sorry. I thought you had made the previous post.
I was wondering why you brought up the data point. It’s a good one! And I too have to wonder what LE and CBI know about this case that we haven’t heard yet. Could he have tried to move the body? If so LE would have known it. What kind of evidence might this be? Her phone?

I'm not sure I understand OP's question. Are you asking if IE could request info on SM's remains if BM was arrested? Or just inquire on the status of the remains (ready for release) to next of kin for burial?

In the quoted post, I was referring to IE's Press Release on Sept 28 citing how her clients (Morphew family) were in shock and experiencing much grief, and all statements from the family would be by their legal team. Here, I think IE probably means both the civil and criminal legal teams.

Sorry, it was more just asking a general question... since Barry is currently not arrested. Would IE be able to see autopsy reports or ask for status if it wasn't released to the general public yet?

I'm curious about Suzanne's burial location. It had to have been carefully chosen by Barry. The thought that keeps haunting me is whether he had dug her grave in advance of her murder.

For anyone that knows the area around Moffat, what is the soil type in Moffat? Is it soft or rocky? Did he dig her grave in advance (bobcat) and then fill it after he murdered her by hand (shovels) after he placed her there? I doubt LE has any truck or bobcat data from a week or more before he murdered her.

Thoughts anyone?
JMO

Last edited:
I'm curious about Suzanne's burial location. It had to have been carefully chosen by Barry. The thought that keeps haunting me is whether he had dug her well grave in advance of her murder.

For anyone that knows the area around Moffat, what is the soil type in Moffat? Is it soft or rocky? Did he dig her grave in advance (bobcat) and then fill it in by hand (shovels) after he placed her there? I doubt LE has any truck or bobcat data from a week or more he murdered her?

Thoughts anyone?
JMO
IMO Moffat wasn't chosen. It was a reaction, a function of desperation, having been thwarted at his chosen site.

I think we're well after midnight, closing in on 1am. He was racing the clock. Had to be out of town before daylight revealed the bike.

I do think he availed himself of back roads. Moffat was as far as he could get, while still getting back in time. He NEEDED to be on camera (hotel cctv) before her bike was found or it'll all have fallen apart that day.

JMO

I'm curious about Suzanne's burial location. It had to have been carefully chosen by Barry. The thought that keeps haunting me is whether he had dug her grave in advance of her murder.

For anyone that knows the area around Moffat, what is the soil type in Moffat? Is it soft or rocky? Did he dig her grave in advance (bobcat) and then fill it after he murdered her with hand (shovels) after he placed her there? I doubt LE has any truck or bobcat data from a week or more before he murdered her?

Thoughts anyone?
JMO
If they said she was buried in a shallow grave.. IMO that doesn't sound like a work of a bobcat. I don't think he would risk hauling his bobcat and digging on the side of the road with that. That just looks suspicious.

For anyone that knows the area around Moffat, what is the soil type in Moffat? Is it soft or rocky? Did he dig her grave in advance (bobcat) and then fill it after he murdered her by hand (shovels) after he placed her there? I doubt LE has any truck or bobcat data from a week or more before he murdered her.

Thoughts anyone?
JMO

He could have dug it in advance but I doubt it (I agree with others that think it might not have been his first choice). Having an open grave-like space so close to the road is terrible planning, IMO. So I can't agree (if he did dig it in advance) that it was careful planning.

The soil type in Moffat has been described in MSM (and in geology books) as loosely agglomerated sandy, rocky soil. Like the soils of the high plains (of which it is a part). Short stubby grass grow, some longer grasses, several types of "brush." Not sure if any trees at all (maybe stunted pinyons?)

But it's desert sand, not beach sand. A lot of people would call it "dirt." It's the kind of dirt that throws up dust when it is windy, I know that much (my dad grew up a bit further east from there and I used to visit Grandma in the summers, although we were at lower altitude and there was a river not too far away - so some loamy soils as well). No big river near Moffat that I know of.

If he'd used the Bobcat, surely he would have made a deeper, more standard grave. But again, it is Barry Morphew we are talking about (which is why I can't go with "careful" planning - he may have planned, but as usual, he didn't do it perfectly or even very well).

That's why he lies so much to LE, he had a bunch of different potential scenarios in his own head, and a thousand or more ideas about how he could explain away Suzanne's disappearance - each one has crumbled over time.

IMO.

As we languish in forensic limbo awaiting some new relevant information, the link between Mr. Morphew and the burial site seems fertile ground for speculation. Here are a few dots that might be connected to a possible timeline and route of the disposal run.

I’ve plotted four locations from pages 22 and 23 in the Defense Preliminary Hearing Exhibit D. These represent the last four locations (other than a gas station and 8 minutes at a lot in Poncha Springs) of Mr. Morphew’s “Barry Skid”, i.e., Bobcat, just prior to Suzanne’s final independently verifiable communication around 2 PM on May 9 .

6900-7064 County Road 105, Salida (the “beach site”, later excavated by LE) -- On May 9 from 7:47 to 9:35AM (13:06 to 15:00 UTC, which is -6 hours from CO time)

10309 Hutchison, Poncha Springs – On May 9 from 12:06 to 1PM

19507 Puma Path -- On May 9 from 1:29 to 1:34PM

11-30 Rex Circle/7625 Hwy. 50, Salida (Diesslin Structures) -- On May 9 from 1:56 to 2:10PM

Mr. Morphew arrived at the marital home at 2:42PM.

View attachment 455618
Before delving into what the above locations might mean for the dump run, one wonders why the machine was briefly taken back home (17 minutes to the west) and then almost immediately back to the east (it’s 19 minutes from Puma Path to Diesslin Structures). This may have been thoroughly hashed out previously, but if not, more fertile speculative ground.

Back to the dots. There are several backroad routes from the beach site project to Highway 50 south of Poncha Springs (i.e., route to grave site). These slightly different routes are about 10 miles.

I found it interesting that these several back routes all go directly past the job site on Hutchison Lane as shown on figure below. From the point where the backroad route hits Highway 50, it is 37 miles south to the disposal ground. So, if Mr. Morphew was aware of these backroads, which I think is more than possible, these routes might have figured into his disposal plan.

Side note: the easiest beginner mountain bike trail in the Salida area is along one of the possible backroad routes; this area might have been known to Mr. Morphew from Suzanne’s then recently acquired mountain bike hobby.View attachment 455620
So hypothetically, a possible timeline based on the report of a machine firing up at the beach site after midnight on May 10 could be:

• 12.30AM Leave beach site, take backroads past the Hutchison location (more on this below).
  • Arrive at junction of County Rd. 115 and Highway 285 by 1:00AM or slightly earlier (10 miles)
  • Arrive at burial site south of Moffat (37 mi) by 1:30AM or earlier.
  • Shallow burial by 2:00 – 2:15AM
  • Return to Puma Path by 3:00AM or so.
I would suggest the travel times could have been shorter if he was jamming and also, since we don’t really know the depth of burial, that time could have been relatively short.

So, if Mr. Morphew took this route, I’m wondering if the Hutchison Lane job site has anything to do with the choice or could lead to other corroborative evidence.

Some things I’m actively speculating upon –

1. How much Mr. Morphew considered the likely presence of cameras along main roads in selecting his route.

2. Did he take a quad to get to the Hutchison Lane site where something (like a vehicle or quad) might have been available to assist in the crime?

3. If the Hutchison site figures into his plan, it implies pre-planning, which may conflict with other theories about the murder (i.e., that he wigged out and spontaneously killed her when he came home on Friday afternoon and found her sexting with boyfriend).

4. Were there vehicles available to him at Diesslin Structures?

5. Even if he didn’t go from the beach site, could the Hutchison site figure into his disposal run somehow, given that it’s only about 2 miles by backroad from Highway 50.

Hopefully, the group can place some realistic constraints on this wild speculation.

A couple more oddities here

1. The bobcat was active for 6 mins in the driveway at PP on friday night from 7.18pm-7.24pm. But how did it get there? We have no corresponding Truck telematics for that. Now obviously it did get back there on the truck - but my point is, this journey back to PP, and then the journey back to the jobsite on saturday am are not there. So the Bobcat telematics tell us that there are 100% missing truck telematics for those 2 trips.

2. Where are the bobcat telematics for unloading at PP on saturday? We know it did because we have the truck telematics for it, and the bobcat was found there - yet Bobcat telematics stop at DSI earlier in the day.

It's very odd because we see the Bobcat at PP between 13.29-13.34, and the truck cannot unload the Bobcat without the assistance of the Bobcat. So why do we see it before DSI and at DSI, yet nothing after? Why would the defence have failed to exhibit these final few lines for it?

My point is not that the bobcat could have gone anywhere else on saturday, but that we have clear evidence that both bobcat and the truck could go places without it showing up in telematics logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring