Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, it was more just asking a general question... since Barry is currently not arrested. Would IE be able to see autopsy reports or ask for status if it wasn't released to the general public yet?

IANAL, but IMO, no, she gets zilch. The civil suit does not give special privilege into the autopsy (which in the case of homicides is often sealed - we shall see).

She can ask for status just like the rest of us, but since reporters aren't getting any new info, neither will IE, IMO. Must drive her crazy.

It's just like any homicide investigation. Right now, no one is charged. When someone is charged, then they and their attorney are entitled to all evidence - but not before.

IMO.

IMO Moffat wasn't chosen. It was a reaction, a function of desperation, having been thwarted at his chosen site.

I think we're well after midnight, closing in on 1am. He was racing the clock. Had to be out of town before daylight revealed the bike.

I do think he availed himself of back roads. Moffat was as far as he could get, while still getting back in time. He NEEDED to be on camera (hotel cctv) before her bike was found or it'll all have fallen apart that day.

JMO
The main reason I asked about the soil type in Moffat was to figure out whether SM's grave could have been dug by hand or whether it was rocky land and would have needed a stronger tool (bobcat) to dig even a shallow grave.

Thank you all for answering my question, there must have been soft soil in Moffat where Barry dug her grave by hand. He must have used the hand shovels to both dig and bury SM that he then brought to the Broomfield HIE.

I do believe he had theoretically planned Suzanne's murder in advance. He had listened to copious crime podcasts about murder. He had obviously researched how to erase data on his truck and bobcat. He had planned where to bury her.

The timing of their daughters weekend trip over Mother's Day weekend must have presented him with the perfect opportuntiy.

JMO

#JusticeForSuzanne

IANAL, but IMO, no, she gets zilch. The civil suit does not give special privilege into the autopsy (which in the case of homicides is often sealed - we shall see).

She can ask for status just like the rest of us, but since reporters aren't getting any new info, neither will IE, IMO. Must drive her crazy.

It's just like any homicide investigation. Right now, no one is charged. When someone is charged, then they and their attorney are entitled to all evidence - but not before.

IMO.
Yes I bet it will drive her crazy not knowing.

The main reason I asked about the soil type in Moffat was to figure out whether SM's grave could have been dug by hand or whether it was rocky land and would have needed a stronger tool (bobcat) to dig even a shallow grave.

Thank you all for answering my question, there must have been soft soil in Moffat where Barry dug her grave by hand. He must have used the hand shovels to both dig and bury SM that he then brought to the Broomfield HIE.

I do believe he had theoretically planned Suzanne's murder in advance. He had listened to copious crime podcasts about murder. He had obviously researched how to erase data on his truck and bobcat. He had planned where to bury her.

The timing of their daughters weekend trip over Mother's Day weekend must have presented him with the perfect opportuntiy.

JMO

#JusticeForSuzanne

It was probably pretty crispy on top, not soft. It's sometimes called caliche (nature's own cement). It doesn't behave like the soils I"m more familiar with here in coastal California.

Out there, you can pour all the water you want into the land and it just sinks away like it does at the beach. It can be somewhat loose, with various sized rocks (pebbles, almost always some gravels, and bigger rocks too).

I would say that the top part of the land out there is kind of...crispy. Some of it is "hard pan," meaning that it is starting to feel more like rock, but you can easily chop it up with a pick or a hammer (we carry a geologist's hammer to look for fossils and rocks). Once you chop it, it's more like loose sand than dirt (as I usually think of dirt). Typically unfarmable, and in this case, mostly unlivable as well (no major housing takes place out that way, too difficult to supply water and utilities).

IME (living in a different desert), you try to shovel something and the sides of your dig cave in, but as more underground rocks are struck, it's possible to dig a trench, with the rocks helping to keep the sides from collapsing. In this case, four feet deep (and we do not know its other dimensions) was not enough to prevent animal scavenging.

1698276159246.png

Plant roots often form a kind of web or mat, as well. And this is from a little ways away, but shows the dirt better:

1698276390888.png

That light colored rocky stuff on top is...probably at least a foot or more thick - so it looks packed, but as you dig, it has a tendency to make for hard shoveling and you have to keep dealing with the edges of an excavation crumbling. If it's hard pan (like in this picture), you can kind of sculpt out a trench though. I haven't dug any graves out that way, but I have played archaeologist (on private land).

This helps explain why not much housing out there:

Tough going.

Part of Barry's work had to have been bringing in topsoil for certain projects (although he seems to have liked moving rocks and gravels around, grading, things like that).

It's my understanding that Salida (with its river) has had enough flooding from time to time, over years and years, to make it more like the dirt I'm familiar with.

I've been thinking further about whether it could have been possible to spoof SMs activity on her apps and I think it is not really possible without some very sophisticated approaches

The general idea is that BM could have been logged in to SM's WhatsApp, LinkedIn, iMessage etc from a separate device. So let's say he had another iPhone - and did that.

In a superficial way it is possible. e.g. I am logged into my WA and iMessage on 2 or 3 devices and get my messages on all of them. So i can therefore send messages on them, and perhaps no one knows the difference. And one device could be in once place and one somewhere else.

But there are at least 2 big problems with this

The first is that the cloud platforms see each individual device that is logged in, and a bunch of other information like the unique machine ID. So if a second, different device were logged in to SM's LinkedIn, the linkedin access logs would show this. This issue actually gave away the killer in the McStay case where the killer did some fraud by logging into the victims cloud financial software. The access logs revealed that a different device at a different geo had logged in (i.e the killer).

Second, the potential second device of BM cannot spoof SMs SIM card. On Friday night, there is a call from BM to SM located 3 miles away - which connects for 73s. This is over the cellular network so unless there is an accomplice, I don't see how that can be achieved because the SMs device moved to that location, and then the network connected to it for 73s

I've been thinking further about whether it could have been possible to spoof SMs activity on her apps and I think it is not really possible without some very sophisticated approaches

The general idea is that BM could have been logged in to SM's WhatsApp, LinkedIn, iMessage etc from a separate device. So let's say he had another iPhone - and did that.

In a superficial way it is possible. e.g. I am logged into my WA and iMessage on 2 or 3 devices and get my messages on all of them. So i can therefore send messages on them, and perhaps no one knows the difference. And one device could be in once place and one somewhere else.

The first is that the cloud platforms see each individual device that is logged in, and a bunch of other information like the unique machine ID. So if a second, different device were logged in to SM's LinkedIn, the linkedin access logs would show this. This issue actually gave away the killer in the McStay case where the killer did some fraud by logging into the victims cloud financial software. The access logs revealed that a different device at a different geo had logged in (i.e the killer).

Second, the potential second device of BM cannot spoof SMs SIM card. On Friday night, there is a call from BM to SM located 3 miles away - which connects for 73s. This is over the cellular network so unless there is an accomplice, I don't see how that can be achieved because the SMs device moved to that location, and then the network connected to it for 73s

Agree. I think this type of forensic tracking is also how BM's defense was able to argue in the civil suit that one of the devices alleged to be BM's additional and/or burner phone was not a cell phone device.

I just can't get behind BM killing SM on Friday and impersonating her in conversations/messages on Saturday because I think if anybody could figure out he wasn't communicating with the real SM, it would be JL.

O/T -- is anybody using a Win PC/Chrome browser that can share their chrome browser settings.

Post WS site shutdown earlier today, I can see deeper or enhanced color display on the website but I've also lost use of the entire toolbar in the text box! The toolbar section is completely grayed out except for the 'Preview' icon. Big thanks. :)

Already tried clearing cache and disabling ad blk....

ETA: smile emoji was via old-fashion key strokes and not the toolbar!

Last edited:
O/T -- is anybody using a Win PC/Chrome browser that can share their chrome browser settings.

Post WS site shutdown earlier today, I can see deeper or enhanced color display on the website but I've also lost use of the entire toolbar in the text box! The toolbar section is completely grayed out except for the 'Preview' icon. Big thanks. :)

(Already tried clearing cache and disabling ad blk)....
Ridiculously bright orange!!!

Agree. I think this type of forensic tracking is also how BM's defense was able to argue in the civil suit that one of the devices alleged to be BM's additional and/or burner phone was not a cell phone device.

I just can't get behind BM killing SM on Friday and impersonating her in conversations/messages on Saturday because I think if anybody could figure out he wasn't communicating with the real SM, it would be JL.
I also think, he wasn't able to impersonate his wife; he would have needed help by a woman, who is cunning enough and well articulate.

When WS was shot down, there was an advice to possibly have to change the settings.
I didn't do anything, and today WS is working like before (incl. toolbar).

So, if you changed something because of this advice, I would recommend to have your changes set back again.

I am on Win Laptop/Chrome browser.

How was it with PFrazee, when using 2 phones in the same car? I can only vaguely remember ....

When WS was shot down, there was an advice to possibly have to change the settings.
I didn't do anything, and today WS is working like before (incl. toolbar).

So, if you changed something because of this advice, I would recommend to have your changes set back again.

I am on Win Laptop/Chrome browser.
Thanks, @FromGermany1 for your response. I changed nothing on my end and lost the toolbar! If I use Mozilla, the toolbar works but I primarily use Chrome. Such an inconvenience.. Grrr!

He could have dug it in advance but I doubt it (I agree with others that think it might not have been his first choice). Having an open grave-like space so close to the road is terrible planning, IMO. So I can't agree (if he did dig it in advance) that it was careful planning.

The soil type in Moffat has been described in MSM (and in geology books) as loosely agglomerated sandy, rocky soil. Like the soils of the high plains (of which it is a part). Short stubby grass grow, some longer grasses, several types of "brush." Not sure if any trees at all (maybe stunted pinyons?)

But it's desert sand, not beach sand. A lot of people would call it "dirt." It's the kind of dirt that throws up dust when it is windy, I know that much (my dad grew up a bit further east from there and I used to visit Grandma in the summers, although we were at lower altitude and there was a river not too far away - so some loamy soils as well). No big river near Moffat that I know of.

If he'd used the Bobcat, surely he would have made a deeper, more standard grave. But again, it is Barry Morphew we are talking about (which is why I can't go with "careful" planning - he may have planned, but as usual, he didn't do it perfectly or even very well).

That's why he lies so much to LE, he had a bunch of different potential scenarios in his own head, and a thousand or more ideas about how he could explain away Suzanne's disappearance - each one has crumbled over time.

IMO.
IF there at Moffat had been a/one single tree and IF BM had the order to remove it for unknown reasons (with his bobcat incl. tree-remover-tool incl. woodchipper) during the time before Suzanne's disappearing, he perhaps could have marked this little area for future "self-use".
Is it pure fantasizing or possible?

I'm curious about Suzanne's burial location. It had to have been carefully chosen by Barry. The thought that keeps haunting me is whether he had dug her grave in advance of her murder.

For anyone that knows the area around Moffat, what is the soil type in Moffat? Is it soft or rocky? Did he dig her grave in advance (bobcat) and then fill it after he murdered her by hand (shovels) after he placed her there? I doubt LE has any truck or bobcat data from a week or more before he murdered her.

Thoughts anyone?
JMO
He reset his trucks telematics on Saturday after all his running around. Makes sense if he wanted to get rid of locations he had been in the recent days. That is also why I think he disposed of her remains before that reset, unless he used another vehicle to drive Suzanne's remains out there.

JMO

IF there at Moffat had been a/one single tree and IF BM had the order to remove it for unknown reasons (with his bobcat incl. tree-remover-tool incl. woodchipper) during the time before Suzanne's disappearing, he perhaps could have marked this little area for future "self-use".
Is it pure fantasizing or possible?
Maybe. But why would you remove a tree in the desert without a really good reason? I would think anyone would want to protect it and nurture it.

I have Mozilla - I can see the tool bar - everything is there for me! Haven't tried my Chrome though to see if the tool bar is there...

Ridiculously bright orange!!!

for Halloween??!!
Halloween Pumpkin Lantern Smiley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads