Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because her charger was also missing, I conclude her phone was charging.

If we assume maximum charge by morning, if Barry left it up by the Garfield turnaround, how long until it died?

Is there any way that Suzanne's phone would have pinged as it did if it was in the water near the bike?

I do think he wanted her phone found, but I don't believe for a second he'd want LE to be able to get into it. Water staging makes complete sense to me.

IMO Barry expected the bike to be found in the light of day. Her bike, her helmet, possibly riding clothes, possibly her phone...

Can't help but to wonder if he attempted to stage clothing to look like an animal attack...

JMO
I still do find that missing charger very weird. If her phone was connected to it, wouldn't it be easier just ripping it out of the phone rather than unplugging it from the wall? Unlessssss..... he used it as part of her murder IMO.

I still do find that missing charger very weird. If her phone was connected to it, wouldn't it be easier just ripping it out of the phone rather than unplugging it from the wall? Unlessssss..... he used it as part of her murder IMO.
There is that. Ligature.

But also, the locked door. I think Suzanne's last willful act was an attempt to call 911 and Barry feared that. No time for polite negotiations at the locked door. No, he had to ram through it. I suspect that he wrenched the phone from her, effectively ripping it from the wall. Whether he used that cord to assist in his dastardly mission, I cannot say. What I can say, however, is that those claw marks on his arm confirm for me that part of the struggle was real, was personal and was up close. Suzanne knew exactly what he was going to do to her.

Kind of surprised he didn't keep the charger. Cheapskate. You know, shoelaces.

JMO

Or someone pulled the sim card and has the phone and charger now. The phone might not necessarily be destroyed. I did always find it interesting that the phone and the charger were both missing. Would be less interesting to me if just the phone disappeared.

Or someone pulled the sim card and has the phone and charger now. The phone might not necessarily be destroyed. I did always find it interesting that the phone and the charger were both missing. Would be less interesting to me if just the phone disappeared.
Yes, it makes it seem more likely that someone took it from her home as opposed to her losing it on a bike ride. JMO

O/T -- is anybody using a Win PC/Chrome browser that can share their chrome browser settings.

Post WS site shutdown earlier today, I can see deeper or enhanced color display on the website but I've also lost use of the entire toolbar in the text box! The toolbar section is completely grayed out except for the 'Preview' icon. Big thanks. :)

Already tried clearing cache and disabling ad blk....

ETA: smile emoji was via old-fashion key strokes and not the toolbar!
Yay.. I'm back! Thank you Dave. xx

Click the set of 3 dots on the right side of the toolbar
Next click the
[ ] brackets

There is that. Ligature.

But also, the locked door. I think Suzanne's last willful act was an attempt to call 911 and Barry feared that. No time for polite negotiations at the locked door. No, he had to ram through it. I suspect that he wrenched the phone from her, effectively ripping it from the wall. Whether he used that cord to assist in his dastardly mission, I cannot say. What I can say, however, is that those claw marks on his arm confirm for me that part of the struggle was real, was personal and was up close. Suzanne knew exactly what he was going to do to her.

Kind of surprised he didn't keep the charger. Cheapskate. You know, shoelaces.

JMO
Bent prongs from sudden sideways force, that would always even if bent back be evidence of a violent event.
MOO He looked at it and said it's got to go.

Bent prongs from sudden sideways force, that would always even if bent back be evidence of a violent event.
MOO He looked at it and said it's got to go.
I'm not sure he's that careful...

But I do agree -- it was pulled by force.

The cord is missing IMO because the phone and cable were a single item. Pitched them together.

There is no other reason for it to be missing...

It's a real problem for someone pretending Suzanne was abducted during a bike ride.

JMO

Last edited:
Highlighting the obvious:

Phone chargers are not part of biking gear.

No random abductor is going to swing by the house, mid-abduction, to root around for a charger on his way out of town.

It doesn't even fit with staging. You wouldn't take her phone and think, I better grab the cord too. Gone girls, I'd think, take more than a bike outfit, a helmet, a phone, and a charger.

That it's missing IMO tells the story. It tells me they were together. Which gels with my thought that she was charging her phone at 2:47.... drained it chatting with JL, charging it for her afternoon bike ride....

Paired with her known habit of charging bedside and the crack in the bedroom door --

It's a movie reel.

If Barry wanted to stage or destroy her phone, he'd have no need for her charging cord. He wouldn't seek it out.

If her phone was wrenched from her, why backtrack and take the cord too? They'd have to have been together.

I do wonder what he did with it -- laughable if her phone were ever found, cord attached. But most likely IMO he left the phone where he wanted it found, and the cord found its way to a dumpster.

JMO

IMO, the missing phone AND the phone charger were likely meant to imply SM was missing voluntarily, or at a minimum, to leave that option open as a possibility.

I'm recalling the death of Emily Noble who was found deceased months after she went missing, with her usb cord around her neck, and probably at one time suspended from a tree. The husband was indicted for her murder under the theory she'd been strangled and the crime scene staged to look like suicide. Husband was acquitted.

One month ago today, the news broke! Suzanne‘s remains had been found and identified. We waited a looong time for it.

One month down. One month less until his arrest! It will come in due course. No missteps this time. Patience.

Every day that passes brings us closer to the full autopsy report.

That so much time has elapsed and Suzanne's precious body allowed to decompose is so unfortunate, so unfair but I hold out confidence that many secrets were unbarried with her, giving LE all new angles for discovery!

Chemical traces.

DNA under nails.

Spade marks.

Fabric.

I don't often agree with Defense Attorney IE but I agree 100% with what she said when she said this:

BM is as innocent as he was from Day 1.

Just as guilty too.

JMO

Every day that passes brings us closer to the full autopsy report.

That so much time has elapsed and Suzanne's precious body allowed to decompose is so unfortunate, so unfair but I hold out confidence that many secrets were unbarried with her, giving LE all new angles for discovery!

Chemical traces.

DNA under nails.

Spade marks.

Fabric.

I don't often agree with Defense Attorney IE but I agree 100% with what she said when she said this:

BM is as innocent as he was from Day 1.

Just as guilty too.

JMO
Yes, and if a skull was found intact it might show blunt force trauma or possibly a broken hyoid bone? I know that's wishful thinking, but I believe Suzanne 'spoke' from her uncivilized, temporary grave to be found.

Good ole' karma and justice is going to demand its pound of flesh from BM. Tick tock Barry.

MOO

Yes, and if a skull was found intact it might show blunt force trauma or possibly a broken hyoid bone? I know that's wishful thinking, but I believe Suzanne 'spoke' from her uncivilized, temporary grave to be found.

Good ole' karma and justice is going to demand its pound of flesh from BM. Tick tock Barry.
- and never doubt -

1698699689279.png

Last edited:
Inspired by the great @sk716 I went down the rabbit hole about whether there could have been multiple logins to SMs cloud services **

To recap, at the prelim, Grusing testified that according to Law Enforcements evidence, SM was alive and well on Friday night, arranged to meet up with Barry, drove in her RR to near his location, spoke with him on the phone for 73 seconds, and subsequently met with him at Tailwinds site. We don't have full insight into this, as the CAST and Telematics were not exhibited in full. We just have to trust Grusing that the as to what the investigation found out. The investigation originally believed this was last proof of life for SM - which is why they tore the site up.

So is it actually possible for BM to have spoofed messages on SMs social media from secret device?

(** the following analysis applies particularly to Apple, Google, Whatsapp, LinkedIn etc)
  1. Looking just at Apple ID, for access to iMessage etc it is perfectly possible to have multiple devices logged in to the same ID. I currently have 3! However these show up as different device instances under my account info. In other words, apple is logging what devices are connected to your ID. You can see how this would look here Check your Apple ID device list to find where you've signed in
  2. When i connect the second device, i get an alert on the primary device - and there is also 2FA set up. So you need the original devices to add another device often.
  3. So in theory, I can add a second device, send iMessages from the same account, but not from the iPhone in question. The recipients don't know which device the message is sent from....
  4. Then later, I still need to delete the second device from the iCloud devices ... BUT
  5. This is only covering my tracks in the front end - i.e the consumer interface
  6. In the apple logs for this account, there is still the record of this device being added and removed. Indeed it seems BM did this on his own account, and the record of an unknown device is still lurking there in the logs.
You can repeat the gist of this analysis on any of the main cloud services SM was using. At the end of the day, Law Enforcement will see in the access logs, SM iPhone machine ID logging into the services. If there was a secondary device also logged in, monitoring her activity - this would show up in the logs.

Even if her iPhone then logged off on Friday and a different device was really sending the messages, it would be apparent to Apple, LinkedIn, etc that it was not her iPhone doing it.

This is why LE is confident of the last proof of life. BM could not be in two places at once - and the spoofing theory only works at a superficial level, so long as they never subpoena Apple and Linkedin.

There are a lot more problems with the spoofing theory, like SMs phone activity over the cellular network which is unique to her SIM but I think the above is more obvious.

tldr; when apple found a second device logged in to SMs icloud, but then deleted on Saturday, the whole scam would have been revealed

IMO the conclusion is the opposite one. Following SMs murder, the killer did not have access to her iPhone or iCloud. Otherwise the killer could have sent proof of life messages to randos on saturday evening - surely the most obvious thing to do. Especially had BM known of SMs LinkedIn exchange with JL, he could have sent an obvious 'raincheck - see you tomorrow" type of message. The problem was even if he suspected, he didn't find it.

02c

Inspired by the great @sk716 I went down the rabbit hole about whether there could have been multiple logins to SMs cloud services **

To recap, at the prelim, Grusing testified that according to Law Enforcements evidence, SM was alive and well on Friday night, arranged to meet up with Barry, drove in her RR to near his location, spoke with him on the phone for 73 seconds, and subsequently met with him at Tailwinds site. We don't have full insight into this, as the CAST and Telematics were not exhibited in full. We just have to trust Grusing that the as to what the investigation found out. The investigation originally believed this was last proof of life for SM - which is why they tore the site up.

So is it actually possible for BM to have spoofed messages on SMs social media from secret device?

(** the following analysis applies particularly to Apple, Google, Whatsapp, LinkedIn etc)
  1. Looking just at Apple ID, for access to iMessage etc it is perfectly possible to have multiple devices logged in to the same ID. I currently have 3! However these show up as different device instances under my account info. In other words, apple is logging what devices are connected to your ID. You can see how this would look here Check your Apple ID device list to find where you've signed in
  2. When i connect the second device, i get an alert on the primary device - and there is also 2FA set up. So you need the original devices to add another device often.
  3. So in theory, I can add a second device, send iMessages from the same account, but not from the iPhone in question. The recipients don't know which device the message is sent from....
  4. Then later, I still need to delete the second device from the iCloud devices ... BUT
  5. This is only covering my tracks in the front end - i.e the consumer interface
  6. In the apple logs for this account, there is still the record of this device being added and removed. Indeed it seems BM did this on his own account, and the record of an unknown device is still lurking there in the logs.
You can repeat the gist of this analysis on any of the main cloud services SM was using. At the end of the day, Law Enforcement will see in the access logs, SM iPhone machine ID logging into the services. If there was a secondary device also logged in, monitoring her activity - this would show up in the logs.

Even if her iPhone then logged off on Friday and a different device was really sending the messages, it would be apparent to Apple, LinkedIn, etc that it was not her iPhone doing it.

This is why LE is confident of the last proof of life. BM could not be in two places at once - and the spoofing theory only works at a superficial level, so long as they never subpoena Apple and Linkedin.

There are a lot more problems with the spoofing theory, like SMs phone activity over the cellular network which is unique to her SIM but I think the above is more obvious.

tldr; when apple found a second device logged in to SMs icloud, but then deleted on Saturday, the whole scam would have been revealed

IMO the conclusion is the opposite one. Following SMs murder, the killer did not have access to her iPhone or iCloud. Otherwise the killer could have sent proof of life messages to randos on saturday evening - surely the most obvious thing to do. Especially had BM known of SMs LinkedIn exchange with JL, he could have sent an obvious 'raincheck - see you tomorrow" type of message. The problem was even if he suspected, he didn't find it.

02c
I may be the outlier here but I still contend Suzanne declined that meeting. No water, no worksites, no pizza maybe in her vehicle.

I think Barry made that up and she was at home.

I'm willing however to be wrong.

JMO

I may be the outlier here but I still contend Suzanne declined that meeting. No water, no worksites, no pizza maybe in her vehicle.

I think Barry made that up and she was at home.

I'm willing however to be wrong.

JMO

It seems from Grusings testimony that both the state and defence agree pizza did happen. It is certainly the state case that SM drove in her RR within 3 miles of BM and received a call from him on friday night. And given Grusing has the CAST positioning of SMs phone, he basically knows where she went that night - its you and me that haven't seen that report.

I think where BM is lying is that he wasn't in the RR because he must have driven his truck home. Probably he did that because he knows his telematics are missing for that journey.

What we should see is BMs Truck Telematics at the pizza place, but for some reason they weren't in the exhibits and I don't know why that is. Friday night and first thing saturday morning are not there but we know he did drive home because the bobcat was at PP after 7pm friday night.

The real point is SM was alive on friday night.

It seems from Grusings testimony that both the state and defence agree pizza did happen. It is certainly the state case that SM drove in her RR within 3 miles of BM and received a call from him on friday night. And given Grusing has the CAST positioning of SMs phone, he basically knows where she went that night - its you and me that haven't seen that report.

I think where BM is lying is that he wasn't in the RR because he must have driven his truck home. Probably he did that because he knows his telematics are missing for that journey.

What we should see is BMs Truck Telematics at the pizza place, but for some reason they weren't in the exhibits and I don't know why that is. Friday night and first thing saturday morning are not there but we know he did drive home because the bobcat was at PP after 7pm friday night.

The real point is SM was alive on friday night.
Nice work! Please post on you-know-where.

Prayer vigil for Edna Quintana, the missing woman they were looking for when Suzanne Morphew’s remains were found​

October 30, 2023

(SAGUACHE, Colo.) — The discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s remains has brought attention to the case of the Saguache County woman law enforcement was originally looking for. A prayer vigil is now scheduled for her this weekend, as her family clings to hope that she will come back to them.

While on Sept. 27, the world learned about the discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s remains in Moffat, there’s a lesser-known but equally distressing story—the disappearance of Edna Quintana.

Quintana went missing in May at the age of 56 while on a hike with her companion. The searches conducted for her have led to the discovery of two bodies, including Suzanne Morphew’s and James Montoya’s. The Quintana family, now organizing the prayer vigil, is determined not to witness the same tragic outcome as their cases.

“We hope that is not Edna’s fate. We hope that is not how Edna comes home,” said Augustina Quintana Edwards, Edna’s cousin, expressing the family’s collective hopes for Edna’s safe return.

The vigil for Edna is scheduled for this Saturday, Nov 4. at the St. Agnes Catholic Church, where anyone who knew and loved her is welcome. The family says this vigil will also include prayers for the families of Suzanne Morphew, and James Montoya.

~snip

More at link:
Prayer vigil for Edna Quintana this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads