Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on other cases I've followed, the offender often creates a digital blackout when he is doing the criming. This is because offenders now have a base level of digital awareness, but not particularly sophisticated. For example in McStay, the blackouts created a virtual roadmap of crime time, including ironically, linking the offender to the burial site in an unexpected way.

This is why I am super interested in the late night black out that lasts until the 3am hour, as it applies to BMs phone, SMs phone and the truck.

Then after 3am, both phones head west but the truck does not.

IMO this is the indicator that there is a different vehicle.
IIRC, once Barry started the truck, it was driven continuously until he reached that first dumb site. Mileage varied however between his trip to Broomfield and his trip back, leaving roughly 14 mystery miles. The vehicle telematics recorded mileage obviously as well a vehicle actions like lights, doors, etc....

That tells me that either Barry's truck didn't have GPS recording or Barry found a way to disable it. I think he must have.

IMO when he turned left, he was driving in his truck, essentially with the transponder off, invisible.

Too bad, the phones told on him.

JMO

Recalling MG saying she heard Barry's truck that morning (why would any other truck be there?), I wonder if Barry's alibi-building was an altogether sloppy work in progress. MG bounded out of bed she was so certain it was Barry -- Mother's Day and she was prepared to jump to duty. Meanwhile, I think Barry had second thoughts, deciding then to leave MG behind, use her later. What would he have done to appear convincingly busy all day with her along? Nope, had to go solo.

That she heard him tells me he had at least considered it.

JMO

'My hope is that Barry was dumb enough to have his phone with him and it pinged off that tower.

I can have hopes!

(Good to see you - our paths don't cross much these days) .
Oh for sure BM is dumb enough, I think we can all agree on that, lets have hope!

BM is also the worlds worst actor IMO. His first self published statement to the public after Suzanne disappeared, his sessions with LE, and his follow up interviews on national TV are really pathetic to me. So awkward and artificial it would comical if it weren't so very sad. :(

MOO

IIRC, once Barry started the truck, it was driven continuously until he reached that first dumb site. Mileage varied however between his trip to Broomfield and his trip back, leaving roughly 14 mystery miles. The vehicle telematics recorded mileage obviously as well a vehicle actions like lights, doors, etc....

That tells me that either Barry's truck didn't have GPS recording or Barry found a way to disable it. I think he must have.

IMO when he turned left, he was driving in his truck, essentially with the transponder off, invisible.

JMO

I am not so sure he was driving the truck when he did that, because we know he went home again and the Truck telematics kick in at PP

I am fairly sure he did not take the truck to the burial site, because there isn't enough mileage to make it work.

I am not so sure he was driving the truck when he did that, because we know he went home again and the Truck telematics kick in at PP

I am fairly sure he did not take the truck to the burial site, because there isn't enough mileage to make it work.
Help me work this out.

At some point after 3am, he took his phone out of airplane mode. No one knows why.

Then some time after 4 IIRC his phone moved in the direction where the bike was ultimately found.

Then his phone went off again, we can infer that because we know it went live again right around 5am, which would have been after his roughly thirty minute uptosomething.

During all that, fun once he started the truck, he did not stop again until Broomfield which locks him into his car from about 4:30 on....

I wonder if Barry deleted all the vehicle data prior to 5/10....with some kind of hard reset. Why? What did he hope to erase? Or was he planning a double reset? How damning would that have been? Did he worry he couldn't trust it and that's why he used a different vehicle overnight?

Whatever he did, likely up toward Monument, must have been really important. Still, he never exited his truck, whatever it was.

JMO

Last edited:
Help me work this out.

I can't help much I am sorry - but i've added as much as I can figure out at the bottom of this post from Grusings testimony at the prelim. It gives some idea of what is in the CAST report.

At some point after 3am, he took his phone out of airplane mode. No one knows why.
I don't think he did. Rather they got the location data off his phone, because that is passive. This is what I mean by him creating the crime blackout. He comes out of airplane on the way to Broomfield when he thinks it is now safe. It's the same mistake that was made in McStay
Then some time after 4 IIRC his phone moved in the direction where the bike was ultimately found.
yes. But this is location data not cellular.
Then his phone went off again, we can infer that because we know it went live again right around 5am, which would have been after his roughly thirty minute uptosomething.

During all that, fun once he started the truck, he did not stop again until Broomfield which locks him into his car from about 4:30 on....

I wonder if Barry deleted all the vehicle data prior to 5/10....with some kind of hard reset. Why? What did he hope to erase? Or was he planning a double reset? How damning would that have been? Did he worry he couldn't trust it and that's why he used a different vehicle overnight?

Whatever he did, likely up toward Monument, must have been really important. Still, he never exited his truck, whatever it was.

JMO

There are no Truck telematics at all between 3.49am PP driveway and 8.10am (RTD bus stop). I guess it is possible he drive the truck continuously from 3.49 such that nothing was logged. But it seems odd to me. So either he could mess with the logging, or not everything was exhibited ... or ... ???

But in any case, it does not make obvious sense. We should simply expect events in the driveway when he leaves PP for Broomfield . My musings below

So I was looking back at my notes of Grusing at the prelim / Lauren Scharf etc as part of my low burning obsession about Timing Advance & CAST

The following kind of summarises what we know the prosecution 'knows'.

CAST wasn't in evidence, but Grusing is allowed to testify as to his own investigative steps. So he plotted the data given to him. He discussed it with people including the experts and Barry. But we don't have the underlying CAST expert testifying as to the veracity of the data.

1. Telematics of truck in driveway 3.25am-3.52am. Both phones at home. i.e. triple corroboration.

2. 3.58am - 4.07 Grusing plots BMs phone away from home. It moves straight to the intersection of 225/50 near where bike is found. This is what he later confronts BM with and we know from the civil case that analysts raised this with Grusing.

3. In conversation with experts, they say to Grusing it can't be said with certainty that the date means phone was actually moving (but BM himself confirms it)

4. SMs phone last registers signals quite a way from the home in an arc as if it was struggling to get a good connection. This is around 4.10. Last one around 4.22. See also the AA. Phone 11.5m west of Poncha. To my rough plot, this suggests it was at/near Monarch, assuming it did not go miles off road. Important point is that both phones decide to leave home during this critical 30 mins, but this is via different positiong. SM's is being positioned via cellular. BMs they had the phone so they have his location data. Big coincidence

5. 4.31am - BM's phone is back home, in airplane mode. IMO the important point here is that even if Barry's phone was "strafing", SMs phone never comes home. Coincidence?

6. 5.37 am BM's phone comes out of airplane mode turning in Buena Vista towards Broomfield. Tracks intermittently on the route towards Broomfield. No telematics for any of this. Unclear why.

So basically Grusing's belief is he left home between 3.58 and 4.31 with SMs phone and came back without it.

And there is no Truck telematics at all between 3.49 (driveway) and 8.10 am (RTD bus stop)

I'd really love to know if the cast expert has the Timing Advance data for that night. A change in the round trip message time can't be explained by 'strafing' - the phone had to physically move. But do they have the timing advance for her phone at PP to compare?

I also wonder, can you recreate this stuff experimentally?

I can't help much I am sorry - but i've added as much as I can figure out at the bottom of this post from Grusings testimony at the prelim. It gives some idea of what is in the CAST report.

I don't think he did. Rather they got the location data off his phone, because that is passive. This is what I mean by him creating the crime blackout. He comes out of airplane on the way to Broomfield when he thinks it is now safe. It's the same mistake that was made in McStay

There are no Truck telematics at all between 3.49am PP driveway and 8.10am (RTD bus stop). I guess it is possible he drive the truck continuously from 3.49 such that nothing was logged. But it seems odd to me. So either he could mess with the logging, or not everything was exhibited ... or ... ???

But in any case, it does not make obvious sense. We should simply expect events in the driveway when he leaves PP for Broomfield . My musings below
Thanks for reposting. Excellent work.

Is it possible he did something to his truck at 3:49 that he reversed at 8:10? Perhaps there WAS a stop in there, but wouldn't that be reflected in tail light and open door data?

Thank you for describing how Suzanne's phone and Barry's were behaving. Very damning stuff right there.

JMO

Thanks for reposting. Excellent work.

Is it possible he did something to his truck at 3:49 that he reversed at 8:10? Perhaps there WAS a stop in there, but wouldn't that be reflected in tail light and open door data?

Thank you for describing how Suzanne's phone and Barry's were behaving. Very damning stuff right there.

JMO

I think there are the following possibilities

1. Not all the data was exhibited: This comes from the defence so we don't know what the source was or how they decided what to include and what not to include. Is this data comprehensive for each day?

2. Trigger events: When does the truck log something? It seems to me to log when its locked/unlocked (park lights), when doors open, when ignition is turned on, or when it stops a journey. So you don't get all the data of a journey. I am not sure why you don't get that - but it might be BM didn't have the app configured to log journeys for example? This is all the backend data and not the stuff that should be in the consumer interface

3. Did he somehow have a way to deactivate telematics? There is at least some suggestion he did IMO (subject to point 1 above). Like where is the data for him arriving home on friday night and going to work on saturday am? Where is the beginning of the journey to RTD truckstop? There are obviously missing.

4. Are the logs incomplete for some other reason? e,g how much memory does the truck have? When does it start to overwrite older logs?

There is some very odd data at the end of the logs - which looks like law enforcement tests

Forgive me if my memory is wrong, but isn't the only truck telematics data we have seen that provided by the defense? Meaning: we have no way of knowing if it is incomplete - revealing only that data that supports a defense narrative and omitting data that might be incriminating?

Forgive me if my memory is wrong, but isn't the only truck telematics data we have seen that provided by the defense? Meaning: we have no way of knowing if it is incomplete - revealing only that data that supports a defense narrative and omitting data that might be incriminating?

Yes. And grusing talking about the CAST report.

Thoughts on the 14 “Mystery Miles”. So, the mileage on Mr. Morphew’s truck going from his home to Broomfield was 14 miles further than his trip back, hence the 14 mystery miles. Here’s a possible explanation:

1. Before heading to Broomfield before dawn on May 20, he drove west on Highway 50 (away from Broomfield) and went about 2.5 miles to the first turnaround in Garfield, which he admitted to LE (Arrest Affidavit Pages 73/74 of 129). This would add a total of approximately 5 miles that wouldn’t have been part of his return trip.

2. He then turned off near Poncha Springs and drove by Morgan Gentile’s house around 5PM as she told LE (Arrest Affidavit page 50). In May 2020 she was living in a house next to the AutoZone on Hwy. 50 in Salida per a background check. This side trip, shown in the figure below would have added an additional 9 miles to his trip to Bloomfield that wouldn’t have been part of the return trip.
1702423816442.png
Could this scenario account for the “missing” 14 miles?

As always, please forgive me if I’m plunging into issues previously hashed to a fare thee well, hopefully those on this thread with greater grasp of the case can edify.

Thoughts on the 14 “Mystery Miles”. So, the mileage on Mr. Morphew’s truck going from his home to Broomfield was 14 miles further than his trip back, hence the 14 mystery miles. Here’s a possible explanation:

1. Before heading to Broomfield before dawn on May 20, he drove west on Highway 50 (away from Broomfield) and went about 2.5 miles to the first turnaround in Garfield, which he admitted to LE (Arrest Affidavit Pages 73/74 of 129). This would add a total of approximately 5 miles that wouldn’t have been part of his return trip.

2. He then turned off near Poncha Springs and drove by Morgan Gentile’s house around 5PM as she told LE (Arrest Affidavit page 50). In May 2020 she was living in a house next to the AutoZone on Hwy. 50 in Salida per a background check. This side trip, shown in the figure below would have added an additional 9 miles to his trip to Bloomfield that wouldn’t have been part of the return trip.
View attachment 467649

As always, please forgive me if I’m plunging into issues previously hashed to a fare thee well, hopefully those on this thread with greater grasp of the case can edify.
(5AM at MG's)

Brilliant! How did we not put those two distances together before? Or we did and I've forgotten.

I wonder if he was planning to call her and bring her along as his alibi.

Or just scouting around for a free dumpster.

(5AM at MG's)

Brilliant! How did we not put those two distances together before? Or we did and I've forgotten.

I wonder if he was planning to call her and bring her along as his alibi.

Or just scouting around for a free dumpster.

For some reason, Grusing did not accept this drive by detour (per engine noise heard by MG) as credible to account for the missing mileage. Perhaps GPS negates BM traveled this direction per the FBI's CAST report (Cellular Analysis Survey Team), I don't know.

However, thinking about this years earlier, the only thing I recall coming up with is there is either weak or no cellular service at PP, SM's bike, and the faux deer siting turn-around locations, whereas a strong signal in Salida and/or the area of MG residence.

As far as I can see, the only thing the defense probably did not want us to see from their BERLA Exhibit released to the public, was evidence that BM's truck traveled to Crestone which IMO, would make BM familiar with Moffat-- where SM's remains were recovered. JMO

View attachment 467649

Don't apologize. That's a great hypothesis - well done.

Recalling MG saying she heard Barry's truck that morning (why would any other truck be there?), I wonder if Barry's alibi-building was an altogether sloppy work in progress. MG bounded out of bed she was so certain it was Barry -- Mother's Day and she was prepared to jump to duty. Meanwhile, I think Barry had second thoughts, deciding then to leave MG behind, use her later. What would he have done to appear convincingly busy all day with her along? Nope, had to go solo.

That she heard him tells me he had at least considered it.

JMO
There are some facts in the Arrest Affidavit that support this idea that Mr. Morphew changed his mind about picking up Morgan Gentile at the last minute. In his May 13 interview, LE notes: “Barry stated Morgan was supposed to travel to Broomfield that evening, and Cassidy was due to arrive Monday morning” (Page 19 of Arrest Affidavit).

Yet later in the same interview he seems to contradict that, not once, but twice. First, “Barry explained he then went over to the worksite. After looking at the site, Barry called Morgan and requested her to bring another person.” (Page 20 of AA)

And second, “When Agents asked Barry why he did not pick up Morgan Gentile, as agreed, on Sunday for the ride to Broomfield, he stated: "I didn't want her to ride with me because she smokes," and "I told her I wanted her to drive her car," and "She was just gonna follow me." (Page 23 of the AA)

Lest Mr. Morphew be the only one contradicting his story, in Morgan Gentile’s May 14 interview log it notes that “Barry was supposed to pick Morgan up at around 5:30 PM on Sunday, May 10, 2020, to drive to a hotel in Broomfield, CO. Cassidy Cordova was supposed to drive up separately and meet them on Monday, May 11, 2020.” (Page 47 of AA) So, Ms. Gentile not only wasn’t picked up at 5:30, but she also forgot she’d been told to drive her own car and didn’t follow Mr. Morphew as he stated she was to do. (It also appears she didn’t get the memo about her unacceptable tobacco habit.)

One possible explanation for all this confusion and misremembrance might be related to another comment she offered in the interview: "11:15 Barry called he was out of breathe (sic) panting but fatigue, kind a like hungover but he doesn't drink, honestly when I hung up, I thought to myself he sounded like he had the worst night of his life." (Page 50 of AA)

An alternative explanation would be that Mr. Morphew had recently murdered his wife and was frantically trying to construct a semi-plausible alibi.

If Barry was originally going to drive to Broomfield in the late afternoon on Sunday, with or without (or being followed by) Ms. Gentile, then his deciding to go 12 hours early in order to have an ostensible alibi for his wife's murder would of course not make sense to any potential passengers or caravanners, so he had to leave MG in the lurch without reasonable explanation. MOO

JMO
Was the phone gaining location data continuously when he departed from PP?
How can there be 14 mile discrepancy if they have phone location records.

Was the phone gaining location data continuously when he departed from PP?
How can there be 14 mile discrepancy if they have phone location records.
There's no service at PP and some of surrounding area. (The Court Ordered BM to travel to or near Salida daily for his GPS ankle monitor to update to the probation department).

Last edited:
Yes! Thank you! I knew I saw something about them being empty. Thank you for finding this. So she had the empty bottles in her car. So did he get the chemicals and use them somehow? Did he never go to the spa store? Where are the NEW spa chemicals if he did go?

Could BM have used SUZANNE’s car to transport her body for burial? I don’t recall the year of her car or if it did or did not have GPS info that could be recovered.

The spa store story bothers me, too. If he actually went there, then maybe he did pick up spa chemicals and used them in the burial of SUZANNE?

Would explain empty spa chemical bottles in her car after she asked him to get the replacements.

(Something seems off with the spa store story, I just don’t know what.)

I’m so glad SUZANNE has been found. Hallelujah. I wish the Moorman family had control of what happens with her remains.

And I wait, somewhat patiently, for BM to arrested and convicted of her murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member