Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in an urban/suburban area and have 2 daughters. We have Life360. It bounces all the time. The pin will be in one spot, then on the other side of the house 1 second later. There is also a lag. It will say she's in her friend's house and 5 seconds later she's in the car and is several blocks away.

Right - but if you have the data, and ask her about it, and she says yeah i was at the friends, then we got in the car and drove a couple of block away - you know the data was broadly accurate.

it's going to be hard to claim drift if the defendant gave a statement saying that the phone was in fact at the various locations shown by data

The problem is IE cannot assert Barry lied to Grusing - Barry has to give that testimony himself. At this point in time we have Barry confirming the location data was accurate in terms of the below conversation.

The State case is that BM was moving around the house - and he was asked if he was looking for SM. Barry confirms that he was chasing a chipmunk. So sure, IE could try to introduce expert evidence that drift exists as a phenomenon but there is no way to prove that it actually was drift at that moment. And given Barry said the data was accurate it seems this will be simple to prove.

In particular I suspect a Court would not give IE much rope in terms of suggesting BM was tricked into lying, if BM himself does not testify to it. IE does not know if BM was tricked or not and what he tells her out of court is not admissible of course.

Grusing told Barry that when he arrived that afternoon, his phone went around the house “quite a bit.” Barry was nodding his head and saying, “Mhhmhh, mhhmhh.” SA Grusing asked, “Were you looking for her?” Barry said, “I shoo--, | shoot chipmunks.” SA Grusing asked, “You shoot chipmunnks?” said, “I shoo--, | shoot chipmunks.” SA Grusing asked, “You shoot chipmunnks?” Barry said, “Yeah.” SA Grusing said it looks like he was chasing one. Barry said, “Yeah, I was, I’ve shot 85 chipmunks because they got into my furnace and cost me a bunch of money. said, “Yeah, I was, I’ve shot 85 chipmunks because they got into my furnace and cost me a bunch of money. So, when [’m home...” SA Grusing interrupted and asked if he used a .22, and Barry replied, “Twenty-two. So, when I’m home I just walk around and shoot ‘em. Just keep going around the house.” (Barry made circular motions with his right arm.) He said, “Everytime I go around the house, I’ll see another and I'll shoot it.” SA Grusing told Barry that activity would explain his phone’s behavior, adding that he left his driver door open in the garage before he went to the first patio. Barry said, “Mhhmhh,” and said, “Yeah, shootin’,” while nodding his head during the description of movement. He added, “No, I’m shootin’chipmunks. I’ve done that ever since we’ve moved in.” added, “No, I’m shootin’ chipmunks. I’ve done that ever since we’ve moved in.” SA Grusing asked Barry if he remembered doing it that day. He nodded his head and said, “Mhhmhh, oh yeah.”
I recently saw Agent Grusing on an episode of Paula Zahn case (different one obviously), this man is a cool, calm and professional interrogator, he knows the games criminals play better than anyone I've seen. BM would have been a piece of cake to dismantle intellectually.

I believe he is retired now, but I'm sure he will still testify in the BM case when it goes back to court?

MOO

I recently saw Agent Grusing on an episode of Paula Zahn case (different one obviously), this man is a cool, calm and professional interrogator, he knows the games criminals play better than anyone I've seen. BM would have been a piece of cake to dismantle intellectually.

Right - this is why IE is pretending in her civil suit that Grusing was very mean to Barry and tricked him into lying about the data and it was really drift that was the answer. But all Grusing did was tell Barry what the data showed. It was Barry who confirmed it. And that is well within the rules. Barry was not shown false data. Nor is it Grusing's job to provide Barry with some other explanation. He was asked what he was doing.

His admission to chasing chipmunks with a gun is damaging, and allows the state to allege he was either looking for SM or chasing her the moment he arrived. Also corroborated by all the calls.

Personally I think BM cannot take the stand and say he was lying about the chipmunks. Lying about the left turn etc - because he lied too many times in total.
I believe he is retired now, but I'm sure he will still testify in the BM case when it goes back to court?

MOO

I think he can?

Right - this is why IE is pretending in her civil suit that Grusing was very mean to Barry and tricked him into lying about the data and it was really drift that was the answer. But all Grusing did was tell Barry what the data showed. It was Barry who confirmed it. And that is well within the rules. Barry was not shown false data. Nor is it Grusing's job to provide Barry with some other explanation. He was asked what he was doing.

His admission to chasing chipmunks with a gun is damaging, and allows the state to allege he was either looking for SM or chasing her the moment he arrived. Also corroborated by all the calls.

Personally I think BM cannot take the stand and say he was lying about the chipmunks. Lying about the left turn etc - because he lied too many times in total.

I think he can?
Yes. He was obsessively calling and being ignored. Obviously the first thing a person would do upon getting home is go chipmunk hunting.

I think he can?
Me also and if Barry thought he was going to be all friendly and fool Grusing in a war of intellectuals, well, you'd have to have a brain so that knocks BM right out of the ballpark. Not even in the same league. Yes, baseball puns intended because BM was also such a crappy minor league player haha :)

MOO

Me also and if Barry thought he was going to be all friendly and fool Grusing in a war of intellectuals, well, you'd have to have a brain so that knocks BM right out of the ballpark. Not even in the same league. Yes, baseball puns intended because BM was also such a crappy minor league player haha :)

MOO

Yeah. These were obviously bad admissions to explain the location data - ditto the left turn. And these will be admissible and powerful if it ever goes to trial.

I am not sure why anyone assumes the prosecution case will be that she was being chased with a tranq gun.

What Grusing says is

- were you looking for SM
- it looks like you were chasing something.

Barry disagrees with the first statement, but agrees with the second. The prosecution will put together a picture that he was calling SM repeatedly, left his door open, 'chased something", "with a gun", damage to bedroom door, SM never heard from again from around this time.

They don't say exactly what he was doing. Just put that admission on the table in context.

Only BM can say he wasn't chasing something. There is no way to use an expert to disprove what he admitted.

I suspect there were two things in that room that Barry needed to get to before Suzanne could use them -- her phone and the gun that (I believe) was under the bed.

Perhaps he had to wrestle them away from her. We know he must've been up in her personal space for those statement gouges to land on his beefy arms.

It had to be a terrorizing few minutes.

And all for what?

Everybody knows his dirty secrets now.

No Suzanne, he's got SD. Didn't need to kill anyone for that.

IrisE is eating his life savings (and Suzanne's) for breakfast.

Frankly, I hope he runs out of money yesterday.

JMO

Last edited:
Once it was apparent that JL wasn't signing on to whatsapp, it's pretty evident that she changed clothes. Hung up the bikini. Did she shower? Was her phone charging?

I wish we could pinpoint precisely where she was when Barry pulled in....

Laundry room?

Isn't that where Barry first went, the back patio? Did he fire at her and miss? He never misses... when he's taking down large game.... but Suzanne? Did he fire in and around the breezeway? And that's what alerted Suzanne and she ran through the house systematically locking all the doors, including finally the bedroom door, in an attempt to buy enough time to call 911?

Did she grab her phone, pulling the charger with it, and try to hide in the closet? Is that where Barry overtook her?

Had she been wearing those bike shorts? Her bikini was hung up neatly. But not her bike shorts. Who removed them from her?

Is there any way, without her actual phone, to know if there was any activity in and around 2:46/7? Touch screen light up? Charging stop?

I think Suzanne missed Barry's calls not out of defiance nor apathy nor JL. JL was IMO not available during that critical time period. I think she was busy. I think it was Barry himself who ascribed meaning to her not taking his calls -- then realizing she may have already left on her bike ride (signaling that he did know she wasn't a morning rider!).

I don't find Barry to be clever. I don't think he concocted the bike ride from thin air. I think Suzanne was in fact gearing up for it and was dressed, dressing, half-dressed or had help against her will undressing for her ride, and that's what gave him the idea.

Because the girls were camping, he knew he had time to himself to get rid of everything that might implicate him or indicate a rocky marriage, including Suzanne's body.

I hope LE scoured every wall and door jamb on that house for a errant dart nick in door, wood or drywall. That substance which was negative for blood, was that BAM? From a miss?

The question remains -- Barry, where's your cooler?

He might dodge arrest in 2024 but it's coming.

JMO
BBM - The only way we know they weren't on Whatsapp is because JL said they were not. I don't think they have a way to view the video calls do they? They have the Linkedin messages, but no way to know if she and JL did or didn't get on the video after she said she was getting on WA. We know Jeff said they did not.. but I have wondered if they did in fact get on the video call and when Barry returned home she was in fact video calling with JL and THAT is what set Barry off. Maybe he didn't know who she was on there with, but if she was in her bedroom or even the spare room (where the sheets were removed from the bed) and Barry arrives in a fit of rage because she isn't answering him, then maybe she hung up with JL abruptly. Then we know JL sent the odd message like the weathers looks nice there.. maybe that was because he was "Testing the waters" because he knew Barry arrived home when they were on that video call and he was sending an innocent like message to see if she responded to make sure she was okay.

It always seemed odd to me that Suzanne said she was getting on WA.. then after some time JL just responds back to her the weather looks nice there. It's as if he didn't even see the WA comment.. unless he did and he was on WA and something went very wrong and he knew it. Then he says oh weathers nice... making sure Barry didn't know what was going on.

Yes - I think that might be the explanation. I have a few questions:

If you make a normal call away from the truck, then get back in your truck and your phone connects - does it then sync the call made outside the truck?

Do Whatsapp calls show up in the iphone call logs? I am guessing yes because they do on my phone. but this was years ago, and we don't even know if BM had WA. But they would not show up on the cellular call records so this might explain why they are not there

Ditto facetime?

The critical call to SM that is missing from the phone logs is 10 mins before he arrives at DSI and according to Grusing, only 5 mins after he left home (vege soup etc - he was home between 11.30am and 1.40pm according to CAST). Why would he be calling SM then, and why is this call missing from his phone logs?

We know SM likely did not have WA loaded up on her phone at 1.45 but we know she was a user. Did BM discover she was on there?
I'm a bit late to this so if someone mentions this later then just ignore this comment.

I thought when Barry was "home" before he went to DSI his truck was parked at the end of the driveway (according to those GPS coordinates) and not up at the house and then his phone showed he was wandering around down by the creek (the phone records) and when asked about this he claimed he was searching for that turkey his daughter shot. Yet he said he was home having the veggie soup at first. I don't think he even went to the house during this stop at home. I think he was down there spying or getting the game cameras and all that. Then he leaves to go to DSI and he calls Suzanne because I don't think she even knew he was "home" during that time. IF he was actually at home and in contact with her then he wouldn't need to call her as he was leaving his house.

I worked out his locations from the phone data at the time. Its consistent with the speed of a man running around and through the house ending at the master bedroom.
All these years later and THIS still causes my heart to hurt and my stomach to turn. This "man" that claims to love Suzanne was chasing her down like a wounded deer. The fear she must have felt in her final moments and then our ability to actually see it because of his phone data showing him racing around. We know the door frame is busted, we know Suzanne is gone forever. The last moments of her life we don't know exactly, but the few things we do know show it was pure rage and at the hands of one man that should have protected her. :(

I think he can?
I just thought of something. Did anyone ever find a bunch of chipmunk carcasses when they were searching the house for Suzanne in the days after she was reported missing? If he's running around killing chipmunks that day, where are all these chipmunks at? He's such a good shot and all so I'd think they were laying all around?

PS Grusing was amazing with Barry. He let him talk himself into many holes.

I just thought of something. Did anyone ever find a bunch of chipmunk carcasses when they were searching the house for Suzanne in the days after she was reported missing? If he's running around killing chipmunks that day, where are all these chipmunks at? He's such a good shot and all so I'd think they were laying all around?

Grusing is one smooth operator. If you ever get a chance, I know he has been featured on a few Crime Shows (Paula Zahn was one, Lt. Kenna? was another), check him out. He is so quiet and unassuming, I can see how he would totally get a perp to let his guard down and spill his secrets. Heck, I was ready to confess to something, LOL j/k

It's true irony that BM actually thought they were friends for real. Like "How could you do this to me, we're buddies?" when the arrest came down. Oh Barry....

BBM - The only way we know they weren't on Whatsapp is because JL said they were not. I don't think they have a way to view the video calls do they? They have the Linkedin messages, but no way to know if she and JL did or didn't get on the video after she said she was getting on WA. We know Jeff said they did not.. but I have wondered if they did in fact get on the video call and when Barry returned home she was in fact video calling with JL and THAT is what set Barry off. Maybe he didn't know who she was on there with, but if she was in her bedroom or even the spare room (where the sheets were removed from the bed) and Barry arrives in a fit of rage because she isn't answering him, then maybe she hung up with JL abruptly. Then we know JL sent the odd message like the weathers looks nice there.. maybe that was because he was "Testing the waters" because he knew Barry arrived home when they were on that video call and he was sending an innocent like message to see if she responded to make sure she was okay.

It always seemed odd to me that Suzanne said she was getting on WA.. then after some time JL just responds back to her the weather looks nice there. It's as if he didn't even see the WA comment.. unless he did and he was on WA and something went very wrong and he knew it. Then he says oh weathers nice... making sure Barry didn't know what was going on.
I do remember when JL was interviewed it said he never connected with Suzanne on WA and he did make the comment about the weather being nice was in code. I thought it was in reference to that selfie she sent of herself with the brown towel wrapped around her JIC BM someone saw it as well.

Either way, Barry made sure Suzanne never connected with anyone else again that day. :mad:

MOO

I do remember when JL was interviewed it said he never connected with Suzanne on WA and he did make the comment about the weather being nice was in code. I thought it was in reference to that selfie she sent of herself with the brown towel wrapped around her JIC BM someone saw it as well.

Either way, Barry made sure Suzanne never connected with anyone else again that day. :mad:

MOO
BM also made sure that SM's phone disappeared. Her phone might have provided key evidence about what transpired immediately before SM disappeared and BM seemed particularly interested in whether LE ever found it.

I hope JL eventually filled in all the blanks. Seems pretty obvious his "weather looks nice" was code -- but we don't know if it was neutral, testing the waters, or an invitation or a compliment on her selfie. It's a double tragedy he didn't come forward immediately and, took his lumps, and let LE know about the affair, know what he knew about their marriage and know how every minute of that weekend transpired. He could've laid out a pretty solid timeline and pinpointed when she really went "missing". They could've locked down Barry's Saturday a whole lot faster. Only one man murdered but IMO two betrayed her.

Suzanne should've been able to live long enough to outgrow them both and build a beautiful life for herself, just as she was starting to do.

JMO

Don't you know, Barry always is verrry neat, especially when you think of his garage, his gun safe, his moving trailer and so on. He would have picked up all the umpteen dead chipmunks of course! And because he is so very skilled re dumping, he would have properly disposed of the little bodies. ;)

The truth is: you made a very good point!

BM also made sure that SM's phone disappeared. Her phone might have provided key evidence about what transpired immediately before SM disappeared and BM seemed particularly interested in whether LE ever found it.
Agreed, I think BM broke it into pieces and disposed of it on his Mothers Day 5 garbage runs. In particular in the McDonalds trash can, remember he was seen on camera pushing a bag down into the trashcan.

What better way than to make sure it ends up in in trashcan that nobody goes through (a bag of nasty fast food and gunk) that gets changed constantly?

JMO

I agree, this is how I see it. However, I think she was recording something rather than being on WA. If she had been in WA with JL, JL would have known what had happened. it makes him look worse (in my eyes), especially with the media hype around Suzanne being ‘missing’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb