Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BM showed little to no affection for Suzanne and hadn't for a very long time, preceding their move to Salida, Colorado. Suzanne was living a loveless life in Salida but I think she was lonely well before they moved from Indiana.

Barry was not around the PP house very often. He didn't go to her cancer treatments or do anything especially kind. They had not spoken by phone in months before her murder. They'd only started back texting recently but no phone calls between them for a considerable amount of time. He knew she was leaving and he intended to stop her because he's selfish and greedy so he took her money, her house, her girls and her life.

Barry could have been reasonable and civil minded about their divorce but he chose a different path. Suzanne's bones have been found. Proof of death. May her sweet temperament, quiet disposition and soft spoken ways resonate in Salida always. AJMO
Great post. I would add May what’s left of her body tell the story if that fateful day.
Imo

I believe someone ripped it from the bedroom nightstand, cord and all.

I can't decide if it was Suzanne, in frantic and panicked move to call 911, or Barry, to stop her from doing so.

It having been plugged in makes since to me. Suze used up the juice on JL and needed a full charge for her Saturday afternoon ride.

That both the phone and charger are missing suggests to me that they left PP as a compound item, regardless of who ripped it from the wall.

Colossal mistake by the murderer.

JMO
It was a colossal mistake, but a necessary one: The murderer likely needed the phone’s charger cord as he hoped to gain access to the contents of SM’s phone to determine who her secret friend was and for that, he needed a charged phone.

Searched her journal before destroying that by burning it and her phone before destroying the phone by other means. A man on a mission.

JL wasn’t decent enough to come forward on SM’s behalf immediately after she went missing, but he also wasn’t smart enough to realize that BM - if he’d managed to figure out JL’s identity - wasn‘t likely done killing.

The BoCC noted that to add to this news, DA Linda Stanley does now have a court date set with the regulatory commission and the Colorado Supreme Court for performance violations, on which Ark Valley Voice has previously reported. But that that session is not until June, 2024, which means it is probable it may not be done before the end of her term.

According to the BoCC discussion, there are also reports that she’s not providing leadership at the office, and not showing up at work but rather is working from home.

“Most of her work has to do with the lawsuit filed by Barry Morphew,” added Felt. “It’s something for us to think about.”

The BoCC suggested that they may need to get on the record with their perspective on this situation. “We might need to pull together the four counties again and consider potential actions that we could take,” suggested Felt. “That may or may not be effective. I’m very frustrated by it.”

Seems to be another gratuitous hit piece on Linda to me. They reference a budget from two years ago but Linda did file a budget in for 2024 in 2023 as reported September 2023.
District Attorney Linda Stanley says she will not seek re-election in 2024
Lots of hearsay and info from the good ole boys imo. So and so called so and so but no direct word from Linda nor any mention of reaching out to her. The only person they mention reaching out to is Judge Murphy.
But they did not hear back from him. Nonetheless they mention him making a phone call to gGreg Felt on the BoCC ( board of county commissioners).
“Felt said that he’d gotten a call from Judge Patrick Murphy regarding this development.”
This was regarding abbreviated hours for her staff.
Too much unsubstantiated innuendo for me. This type of behavior and chat on the part of the BoCC aka not collaborative /
Tied her hands from the start. No matter how incompetent or ill prepared she might have been. Sours me on these parts honestly.

In other news I missed there is at least one announced candidate for Linda’s position
Joanne Morando Announces Campaign for 11th Judicial District Attorney
She has a linkedin where you can see her creds. I am not sure she is very “ seasoned”. But it remains to be seen what district Barry will be charged in. And of course I am hopeful for a special prosecutor. I hope someone of “means” is leaning heavy on Phil Weirsman / Jared Polis. All Jmo while waiting for the football

Can anyone clarify why B was chasing S around the house? Why did she need to lock the bedroom door?
It's all speculation for us because we have limited data at this point, paired with B'splanations.

Perhaps he gave chase while both were outside and she tried to outrun him. Seems least likely.

Perhaps Barry was (as Grusing softballed) looking for Suzanne, going from window to window. Possible.

Or perhaps she became aware of and simultaneously afraid of him (who was outside) so she (who was on the inside) tried to lock up all the entry points, forcing him to run around the house, through the garage and breezeway and eventually into the house (through walls -- ah, Iris, they're called doorways). Safe to say he wasn't hunting wabbits. Or chipmunks. I daresay the lifelong hunter was after one dear.

JMO

Can anyone clarify why B was chasing S around the house? Why did she need to lock the bedroom door?
Purely speculation because cell phone location data showed the phone location moving through and around the house at a rapid rate and detectives noticed a vertical crack in the bedroom door frame that prior owners claim was not there so it has been suggested (I don't think by prosecution but I can't remember) that the crack in the frame was caused by using force to push the door open. There are pictures of the crack floating around. If a prosecution posits that Barry was running at a high rate of speed chasing Suzanne it will take expert testimony to counter the defense position that it was cell phone drift. IMO I don't think the vertical crack in the frame theory will be used. It was a pretty simply vertical crack and for a person like me who has had more than a handful of tenants "break" our rental doors because they forgot or lost their key - not enough damage to show someone muscled through a locked door but you never know could have been a flimsy locking mechanism that wasn't damaged in the 'shove" and it was an interior door not an exterior door. It's probably one of those wait and see anecdotes that came to light in the first trial attempt.

The Cracked Bedroom Door Frame?
.... detectives noticed a vertical crack in the bedroom door frame that prior owners claim was not there so it has been suggested (I don't think by prosecution but I can't remember) that the crack in the frame was caused by using force to push the door open. There are pictures of the crack floating around...
snipped for focus @Momofthreeboys
As ^ says: "It was a pretty simply vertical crack."
IDKnow how or when door frame was cracked.

Ppl have used force to break doors & locks so they can injure or kill spouses, S/O's, GF's, BF's, etc. in the past. Sadly ppl still do that and will continue to do that.

As ^ says: "It was a pretty simply vertical crack."

Seems trying to use photo of this specific cracked door frame as evidence that this husband tried to break in to bedroom to inflict injury on this wife--- either specifically on Mother's Day weekend 2020 or on another unknown date or year --- would be --- well, rather lame, imo.

Editted for clarity.

Last edited:
Remember it was the defence who said Barry was running at high speeds - not the prosecution.

Grusing asked Barry if he was looking for someone, or chasing something. It was barry who said he was chasing something.

I believe Boxer has ploted the data set - anyone can do it. In my view, it does not show he was running at particularly high speeds, as one only has a few plot points and it is not clear how long he spent exactly in each position.

Secretly I hope this signals movement in the criminal investigation.

Bring it.
Me too. I think about her often.

I think about Barry living his life and how there has been no public plea from him to find her killer. Now that she has been found, if he truly had nothing at all to do with it, I would think he would react.. he's a hot head. Where is his outrage that someone in fact did abduct and murder his wife? She didn't run off and find herself in a shallow grave 45 minutes from their house. Someone put her there so if it wasn't him, where is his demand that FBI or anyone for that matter figure this out. Is he calling and hounding them to see if they are still looking for her killer? We hear about other cases where a murder is unsolved and the family members call weekly sometimes to speak to detectives to see what is being done and even when the answer is nothing new.. they call because they NEED to know.

If it were me and I was accused, but was in fact innocent, I'd be all over them to find this person. I'd hire a private investigator, if police wouldn't do it. I mean he is more worried about how wronged he was than he is about finding out who murdered his wife. (seems the obvious answer here is because he knows exactly who did it and how she got there)

He is pathetic and I at least wouldn't feel so disgusted by him if he would just go away and live his life. He has chosen to play this game by playing the whoa is me card and suing LE. The same LE that actually cared about finding out what happened to his wife. He would be thanking them if he wasn't the one responsible. He would be applauding their efforts if they were pursuing anyone else like they did him.

THANK YOU to the poster on Fb:

Death: May 10th, 2020 - Moffat, Saguache County

Burial details not known at this time.

THANK YOU to the poster on Fb:

Death: May 10th, 2020 - Moffat, Saguache County

Burial details not known at this time.
She never did get to live to see May 10th, 2020.

jmo

Remember it was the defence who said Barry was running at high speeds - not the prosecution.

Grusing asked Barry if he was looking for someone, or chasing something. It was barry who said he was chasing something.

I believe Boxer has ploted the data set - anyone can do it. In my view, it does not show he was running at particularly high speeds, as one only has a few plot points and it is not clear how long he spent exactly in each position.
I found it consistent with someone running around the house ending at the master bedroom.
There many doors.
For instance the front door is across the entryway and living room from sliders to the back, patio river side of the house.

It was interesting to reread the AA on this point.

Grusing asks Barry about 2 scenarios. The first is if he was looking for someone. Then he asks if BM was maybe chasing something.

It was actually Barry who said he was chasing something with a gun - not the prosecution. Somehow from there it has assumed the prosecution have a hard to prove theory that he came home and chased SM into the bedroom.

But IMO they never were committed to that theory at all in an evidential sense

I think they would have simply pointed out the data, and both those possible explanations - then (as they do in the AA) simply point out what BM himself says happened.

IMO it is just as likely he was looking for her. Grusing's testimony would have been really important here, because that seems to be what he thought might have been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member