Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What about the defense getting the transcripts of the GJ within 30 days?
Other than that, perfect scenario.

(I didn't mean that she'd never get it, just not before. She won't be invited to a grand jury gathering.)

It will incense her to no end though. MOO. Assuming he extends his retainer and she represents him for Round 2. She may wish to pursue other matters...

JMO

Last edited:
(I didn't mean that she'd never get it, just not before. She won't be invited to a grand jury gathering.)

It will incense her to no end though. MOO. Assuming he excitement his retainer and she represents him for Round 2. She may wish to pursue other matters...

JMO
I don’t think it would incense her. Defense can still challenge grand jury proceedings after the fact. Just like a preliminary it favors the prosecution so odds are always in prosecution’s favor however. It’s just another path to a trial. And after a grand jury it’s still up to the DA I think to decide to bring to trial or not.

It will incense her to no end though. MOO. Assuming he extends his retainer and she represents him for Round 2. She may wish to pursue other matters...
Thats right I’m sorry. And slow.

I don’t know about her not representing him further. I think she likes the thrill of helping guilty men who kill their wives go free.

I don’t think it would incense her. Defense can still challenge grand jury proceedings after the fact. Just like a preliminary it favors the prosecution so odds are always in prosecution’s favor however. It’s just another path to a trial. And after a grand jury it’s still up to the DA I think to decide to bring to trial or not.
The DA will bring it. They cant lose.

If the 12th District goes by way of a grand jury, she won't get discovery until after, and this time, her client IMO won't be given bail he can attain. Back to stripes. She'll clamor for a speedy trial, then steer for the reeds....
^^rsbm

Slight dilemma... Following a supreme court ruling last June, all defendants including killers (those charged with first degree murder) are entitled to pretrial bail release-- an unintended consequence of Colorado abolishing the death penalty. The fix requires an amendment to the Colorado Constitution. The resolution will be put to the Voters in November.

^^rsbm

Slight dilemma... Following a supreme court ruling last June, all defendants including killers (those charged with first degree murder) are entitled to pretrial bail release-- an unintended consequence of Colorado abolishing the death penalty. The fix requires an amendment to the Colorado Constitution. The resolution will be put to the Voters in November.

You just ruined my day.

I had forgotten about that.

Just thought I’d put this info here as I read something upthread about what actions the Defense can take after a GJ indictment in Colorado.
Snipped from link:

12. Can I challenge the grand jury indictment?

Yes. Firstly, the defendant’s attorney would make “discovery” of the grand jury proceedings by gathering all the relevant documents and evidence.

State law requires prosecutors to hand over the grand jury transcripts to the defense as soon as practicable within 30 days of the indictment. Any tangible evidence must be revealed no later than 30 days before trial.

For all other available evidence, the defense attorney must make specific requests. For instance, the defense can ask for colloquy transcripts. These document all the discussions that occurred in the grand jury room other than the testimony. The defense can also ask for any notes memos, or communications that the prosecutors have in connection to the grand jury.

Then depending on what the defense attorney finds, the defense can file a motion to dismiss based on such arguments as:

The prosecutors committed misconduct. This is when the prosecutors’ behavior either caused the defendant “actual prejudice” or compromised the proceedings’ integrity to the point where the court can “presume prejudice.” If the misconduct “substantially influenced the grand jury’s decision to indict”, there was prejudice.
An example could be the prosecutor denying a witness who has exculpatory evidence from testifying. Another example is that the prosecutors’ grand jury investigators wrongly questioned the witnesses or commented on the evidence. It can also be misconduct if the prosecutors violated the grand jury’s secrecy rules.

The indictment was facially deficient. For example, the paperwork did not include the suspect’s name, charge, applicable statute, date and location of the offense, or language that a jury could understand. However, facial invalidity challenges are rare because prosecutors are experienced in following the sample indictment form in CRS 16-5-201.

The indictment is not supported by probable cause. This is the most common challenge to indictments. It requires the trial court judge assigned to the criminal case (not the one who presided over the grand jury) to review the grand jury proceedings’ record in a light most favorable to the prosecution, even when there is a conflict in testimony.

The grand jury selection process was discriminatory. It is a violation of the Sixth Amendment if the grand jury was not selected from a fair cross-section of the population.
It is a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment if grand jurors were excluded from serving due to sex, religion, color, race, occupation, national origin, or economic status.

A conflict of interest should disqualify the prosecutor.
If the judge agrees, the indictment could be dropped.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-Added link

Last edited:
What do you think we can expect from an IE led team under BM defense 2.0?
IE's renowned defense strategy pursuant to an arrest/charge by Information & Complaint has been long practiced and perfected but it's also the default since a criminal grand jury indictment in Colorado is so rare.
IMO, no AA, no preliminary, would be a huge loss to IE after each were so successfully weaponized during BM defense 1.0 to frustrate the prosecution..
^ Most Respectfully Lifted...^
...to promote some/any prospects pertaining to this poster's prior #507!
Why is not "Driver Iris" presently holding the reins of broken stage? Her wrongly-accused/salved "companion" - never allowed to ride shotgun upfront; recently relocated from the coach...to accommodate some regrettably-retrieved human remains; now having to make himself comfortable on the rear baggage palette !o_O?
No, Driver Eytan. Someways past midnight, best wrap the reins around the brake, unbridle a horse, and then go aft to listen and make certain that your companion-palette-person is covered and softly snoring ... In case you're ever asked by officious dolts later on :mad:... Finally, with all in readiness, you're free, focused, and set to gallop as far as you may for...maybehelp ?:rolleyes:?
________________________________________________________________________________

So, what would happen if our Iris just did up, quit and gallop away? Ibid. #507.
Why not? She ought to, IMCO. She's got to see the fair likelihood that she's now hitched to, at worst a loser, at best an annoying distraction.
Where are the smarts/what would be the point of pressing-on in this rendition of Colorado vs. Donner, et al.?
While, alternatively, do not the forthcoming book and movie royalties convincingly boggle the mind? To wit:

"Why did I Leave?
It's not only ADA's that stop shifting deckchairs around on a foundering ship".

Foreword by R. Lama, J. (Ret.)
Rear cover
review by L. Stanley, f/ JD, f/ DA

Get a new plan, Eytan!
Give it a miss, Iris!

Last edited:
^ Most Respectfully Lifted...^
...to promote some/any prospects pertaining to this poster's prior #507!
Why is not "Driver Iris" presently holding the reins of broken stage? Her wrongly-accused/salved "companion" - never allowed to ride shotgun upfront; recently relocated from the coach...to accommodate some regrettably-retrieved human remains; now having to make himself comfortable on the rear baggage palette !o_O?
No, Driver Eytan. Someways past midnight, best wrap the reins around the brake, unbridle a horse, and then go aft to listen and make certain that your companion-palette-person is covered and softly snoring ... In case you're ever asked by officious dolts later on :mad:... Finally, with all in readiness, you're free, focused, and set to gallop as far as you may for...maybehelp ?:rolleyes:?
________________________________________________________________________________

So, what would happen if our Iris just did up, quit and gallop away? Ibid. #507.
Why not? She ought to, IMCO. She's got to see the fair likelihood that she's now hitched to, at worst a loser, at best an annoying distraction.
Where are the smarts/what would be the point of pressing-on in this rendition of Colorado vs. Donner, et al.?
While, alternatively, do not the forthcoming book and movie royalties convincingly boggle the mind? To wit:

"Why did I Leave?
It's not only ADA's that stop shifting deckchairs around on a foundering ship".

with a foreword by
Rear cover
review by Linda Stanley, f/JD, f/DA

Get a new plan, Eytan!
Give it a miss, Iris!
Accurate!

Helping out with a link.

Brilliant, and thank you!

Please see the quoted link for more details beyond the answer of what a defendant can challenge from a GJ Indictment.

Per the "challenge" details below, and if IE's comfort zone is indeed the subjective, it seems to me that a GJ Indictment would be an invitation for BM defense strategy 2.0 to argue BM's civil rights violated, and more (false) allegations of prosecutor misconduct-- a practiced strategy that plays perfectly with IE's personal ("PEP") agenda.

Specific to C.R. Crim. P. 16 (“Rule 16”), which sets forth pretrial disclosure obligations of the prosecution and the defendant, and the obligations of the prosecutor where the Statute provides that the prosecuting attorney shall perform its obligations as soon as practicable but not later than 35 days before trial. Rule 16(I)(b)(3). And if by Indictment, no later than 30 days before trial.

IMO, if the 12th Judicial District takes anything from the former prosecutor after its "pattern" of Rule 16- Discovery violations, without question, I'd say to exercise great caution before a Case Management Order (CMO) to insure the deadline defined in the Statute under Indictment (i.e., "no later than 30 days before trial"), is not overruled and/or rendered silent by any CMO.

For example, be reminded how the Court agreed with the Defense that the the People failed to make their expert disclosures to the Defense pursuant to Rule 16 and this Court’s Case Management Order (CMO) dated October 29, 2021, and were in violation of both Rule 16 and the Court’s CMO, where this CMO rendered the date per Statute ("no later than 35 days before trial") silent.

The Court further found the violations amounted to a “pattern” and saw fit to impose a sanction to deter future discovery violations and encourage compliance with this Court’s orders. In all, the Court excluded 14 of the People’s 16 endorsed experts witnesses. (Reference: ORDER RE: [D-17] DEFENDANT’S RENEWED MOTION FOR DISCOVERY AND CONTEMPT SANCTIONS).

From OP's quoted link:

12. Can I challenge the grand jury indictment?​

Yes. Firstly, the defendant’s attorney would make “discovery” of the grand jury proceedings by gathering all the relevant documents and evidence.

State law requires prosecutors to hand over the grand jury transcripts to the defense as soon as practicable within 30 days of the indictment. Any tangible evidence must be revealed no later than 30 days before trial.

For all other available evidence, the defense attorney must make specific requests. For instance, the defense can ask for colloquy transcripts. These document all the discussions that occurred in the grand jury room other than the testimony. The defense can also ask for any notes memos, or communications that the prosecutors have in connection to the grand jury.

Then depending on what the defense attorney finds, the defense can file a motion to dismiss based on such arguments as:

• The prosecutors committed misconduct. This is when the prosecutors’ behavior either caused the defendant “actual prejudice” or compromised the proceedings’ integrity to the point where the court can “presume prejudice.” If the misconduct “substantially influenced the grand jury’s decision to indict”, there was prejudice. An example could be the prosecutor denying a witness who has exculpatory evidence from testifying. Another example is that the prosecutors’ grand jury investigators wrongly questioned the witnesses or commented on the evidence. It can also be misconduct if the prosecutors violated the grand jury’s secrecy rules.
  • The indictment was facially deficient. For example, the paperwork did not include the suspect’s name, charge, applicable statute, date and location of the offense, or language that a jury could understand. However, facial invalidity challenges are rare because prosecutors are experienced in following the sample indictment form in CRS 16-5-201.
  • The indictment is not supported by probable cause. This is the most common challenge to indictments. It requires the trial court judge assigned to the criminal case (not the one who presided over the grand jury) to review the grand jury proceedings’ record in a light most favorable to the prosecution, even when there is a conflict in testimony.
  • The grand jury selection process was discriminatory. It is a violation of the Sixth Amendment if the grand jury was not selected from a fair cross-section of the population. It is a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment if grand jurors were excluded from serving due to sex, religion, color, race, occupation, national origin, or economic status.
  • A conflict of interest should disqualify the prosecutor.
If the judge agrees, the indictment could be dropped.

Last edited:
And after a grand jury it’s still up to the DA I think to decide to bring to trial or not.
^^rsbm
Not exactly. Since a grand jury takes on the power of the Judge to determine if there is probable cause to believe the suspect may have committed the crime, the defendant is Indicted. In other words, if the defendant Indicted, the case is bound over for trial, and the date of the Indictment starts the Judicial timeclock.

You just ruined my day.

I had forgotten about that.

Since the SC ruling last June, both the interest of justice and public safety are literally at the mercy of the presiding trial court. IMO, the amendment to the Colorado Constitution can't happen fast enough.

For example, take note of the two defendants below, each charged with first degree murder, in two different trial courts.

Long before LS outrageous comments to KRDO about the William Jacobs, alleged baby killer (blunt force trauma), citing the SC ruling that killers are eligible for pretrial bail release, Judge Kaitlin Turner initially set Jacobs bond at $100K, whereas Judge Shay Whitaker, citing the same SC rule, set Dentist and alleged wife killer (poisoned) James Craig's bond at $10M Cash Only.

Following LS comments, Turner then released Jacobs on personal recognizance (PR bond), before later dismissing his charges on May 29, 2024.

JMO
Also incensed that the GJ is secret! I've followed cases in the 12th JD before but never when charged by a GJ Indictment. Keeping an open mind for People v BM 2.0

It's important to understand that although Grusing is no longer a defendant, the factual allegations against him remain part of Morphew's factual claim that LE personnel conspired to file an arrest affidavit that was materially and substantially and knowingly false (or at least, misleading), which resulted in his unlawful arrest.

SABBM. (Also, factual as used above should probably be “factual” since there was no conspiracy against BM?)

Iris is the only conspiracist in this case, with her biggest conspiracy being the manipulation to have Judge Murphy recuse himself from the case. And who should come on board but IE’s buddy Judge Lama.

IMO

Don't find her repugnant for being fierce, assertive or intelligent. Found her put downs of Suzanne repugnant along with the games she played with Lama. Genuinely think she sorted out ShoSho with an attorney that caused conflict of interest so Ramsey had to recuse and think she used Dru there and that's why they parted ways.

Dru is probably very glad she parted ways with Iris when she did. She knows something not quite right happened with Judge Murphy, among other things.

IMO

I want to preface this post with IANAL, and the following is MOO as a case follower since day one:

I’m not sure what or who to believe was responsible for the failings of the 11th JD in the 1st attempt at prosecution of BM. On one hand we have LS, elected into office by district voters, whom didn’t have previous experience prosecuting homicide cases, and a member of her staff, Attorney Jeff Lindsey, who was/is experienced in prosecuting homicide cases, seeming word against each other. I do believe the 11th JD were understaffed and overwhelmed with the voluminous evidence and complexities of this high profile case and Lindsey eventually left mid case, sometime during the Preliminary Hearings decided to jump ship. We must remember too, that they are a small district and working on other cases at the time as well AND that this was also during the height of the COVID pandemic when judiciaries across the country were having to deal with all sorts of hold/ups and delays.

Fast forward to present day, we are hearing from Lindsey in part (paraphrased) he attempted to voice his concerns to LS about the workload and being overwhelmed/overworked and felt he wasn’t being heard/his concerns fell on deaf ears.
And LS saying in part (paraphrased) she didn’t find it necessary to assign a lead prosecutor because they (Lindsey and other staff on the team) knew what their jobs were.
I also remember LS having made a statement shortly after Lindsey jumped ship mid case something to the effect (paraphrased) she wished he had said something/voiced his concerns before leaving so they could’ve worked on it/worked it out.
So whom to believe? Idk.

At any rate, what is clear to me is balls were definitely dropped in the 11th JD during the 1st attempt at prosecution of BM. I believe this was partly due to the 11th JD office being overwhelmed while working on this complex high profile case and working on other cases in the district as well.

Having said all that, I’ve concluded that more than one person/DA/attorney in that office was responsible for the 1st attempts missteps, a group failing so to speak. But at the end of the day, LS as the DA/head of the office should have been aware and on top of seeing to it that certain things were done and followed up on in such an important high profile case as this one is, especially. I don’t have the answers as to why it appears she didn’t nip things in the bud so to speak but I do suspect politics and possible personality conflicts and different work ethics might have come into play as well.

Basically, in a nutshell- the 11th JD, thanks to the exceptional hard work of the combined LE agency task force and their very thorough investigation, had the right man and they botched the case. Judge RL didn’t help matters by ruling to eliminate 14 of 16 expert witnesses being able to testify. But In hindsight, I think it was almost a blessing in disguise because now since SM’s body has been found and with BAM in her bone marrow, less chance for acquittal at future trial.

For me, sad and unfortunate as it all is, it’s in the past and chips will now fall where they may after OARC rules.

No matter what happened in the 11th JD in the past or what the OARC eventually rules, none of it changes the voluminous mountains of evidence against BM, and I’ll continue to wait patiently for his rearrest/recharged and for a new prosecution team to bring him down once and for all.

Again, all of the above is MOO.

#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarity

Yes. Water under the bridge and it is what it is.

I like to think it has all been divine intervention—a hold on progress until SUZANNE was found. The case against BM became much stronger once SUZANNE’s body unearthed.

BAM. A dream come true, a wish fulfilled, a prayer answered. I already knew he was guilty, now many others will know it, too.

BAM. The knockout punch for BM. (The irony.) Way to go, SUZANNE. Justice will be done.

BAM.

IMO.

The only Colorado case I'm vaguely familiar with that was charged by GJ Indictment, linking the first three docs following the GJ Indictment of Mark Redwine, La Plata County, convicted of murdering his son Dylan.

6th Judicial District- DA Chris Champagne - Durango, CO
Matthew Durkin, Special Prosecutor - (AG's Office- Spec Pros Unit)
Fred Johnson, Special Prosecutor - (Boulder Trial Chief)

July 20, 2017: La Plata County GJ INDICTMENT pgs 1-7

July 25, 2017: Initial Case Management Order [C-1], pg. 1

July 26, 2017: Probable Cause Affidavit, Extradition of MW, pg. 1

Can't underestimate the value of a senior Jurist with command of his/her Courtroom. There are four District Court Judges in the 12th:

12th Judicial District

District Court Chief Judge

Amanda C. Hopkins
12th Judicial District Chief Judge
719-589-4996

August 2023 --District Judge Amanda Hopkins was appointed by Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice Brian D. Boatright to serve as chief judge for the 12th Judicial District. Hopkins replaced District Judge Michael Gonzales who surprised many with his resignation as chief judge on July 14 after serving in that position for three years.
Hopkins first appointed to the district court bench on July 10, 2018. Began her legal career in 2007 as a deputy public defender with the Alamosa Office of the Colorado State Public Defender.

District Court Judges

Michael A. Gonzales
12th Judicial District Judge
719-589-4996

He was appointed by Governor John Hickenlooper in September 2011 and was retained by voters in 2014. His six-year term was set to expire on January 11, 2021. Served three years as the Chief Judge for the 12th Judicial District before resigning July 2023. From 2007 until his judicial appointment in 2011, Gonzales was a judge on the Alamosa County Court. He also spent six years as chief deputy district attorney for the Twelfth Judicial District.

Crista L. Newmyer-Olsen
719-589-4996

A Colorado native who grew up in the San Luis Valley, she was appointed district court judge in January 2020. Graduated law school 2007. Before becoming a judge, she worked in the areas of federal Indian law, civil law, and criminal prosecution.

Kim D. Cortez-Rodriguez
719-589-4996

Cortez-Rodriguez was appointed to the district court on February 23, 2022 by Governor Jared Polis to replace Martin A. Gonzales. She previously served as a judge on the Conejos County Court, appointed 2016, and Saguache County Court, appointed 2017, upon Judge Susan Broyles retirement.

Different states have different standards and enforcement policies. We have yet to see how the prosecutor's public statements will play out, both with respect to the case and its venue, and with respect to ethics enforcement. From what we have seen, this public statement by the prosecutor would have crossed lines in Colorado.

I don't disagree that they crossed lines. I am not trying to do whataboutism.

My interest in all of this is that it finally explains why - inexplicably at the time IMO - Judge Lama decided to strike the core expert witnesses for filing their bios a day late - despite their reports being available since the prelim. As @Seattle1 points out - where was the prejudice to the defence to justify such an extreme step?

These proceedings make it clear there was no great conspiracy by the state to hide supposed problems with their case. And Judge Lama did not secretly think that.

Rather it appears the Judges began to look to punish the DA for a pattern of behaviour that extended outside of the Morphew case.

I agree such a pattern of behaviour in Colorado is bad. But i see no evidence that Morphew suffered any injustice and especially none that would justify such an extreme step by the Judge.

MOO

^^rsbm
Not exactly. Since a grand jury takes on the power of the Judge to determine if there is probable cause to believe the suspect may have committed the crime, the defendant is Indicted. In other words, if the defendant Indicted, the case is bound over for trial, and the date of the Indictment starts the Judicial timeclock.
Thanks I did not know how it went in Colorado. I don’t think it’s the same in every state.

5/2/2023

[..]

Loew said it is "not common" for people accused of crimes to sue the prosectors and law enforcement involved in charging them. He says it takes someone with resources to hire multiple law firms to file a lawsuit of this length.

"Mr. Morphew has three law firms working on this case, and it could be in excess of $500 an hour, if not more. He's probably fronting the bill himself to send a message," Loew said.

Loew says filing this lawsuit does not come without any risk to Morphew or the accusations thrown at him in a case that has been dismissed without prejudice, meaning DA Linda Stanley can re-file the case if more evidence surfaces. He says Morphew may have to be questioned by attorney's who are representing all of the defendants in the lawsuit.

"Mr. Morphew has had the right to remain silent throughout this entire process. However, when he brings a lawsuit, he's giving up that right to remain silent and can absolutely be deposed of," Loew said. If he's deposed and answers questions it could lead to more charges being filed going forward."

Loew says it's entirely possible that each defendant hires a different attorney, and if Barry Morphew has to go through multiple different depositions, his story will have to stay the same through all of them.

"If they named 50 people, that's 50 depositions that his story has to remain consistent, accurate and foolproof," Loew said.

Morphew's lawyers say that Barry Morphew and his daughters continue to urge authorities to find Suzanne Morphew, who has been missing for nearly three years.

[..]

BM defense 2.0 --Claims of conflict of interest. DA conflict eliminated moving prosecution to the 12th Judicial District. CBI is the state agent -- can't exclude them here. Demanding outside and independent team??

The Morphew family and legal team believe that CBI, local law enforcement, and the local DA’s office have a conflict of interest and should not be involved in the future investigation of Suzanne’s death. An objective and unbiased examination of Suzanne’s death can only be conducted by an outside and independent team of investigators.

When law enforcement focuses in on one person and refuses to review evidence objectively and fairly, it is a disservice to the community and creates exactly what has come to light…years of unsolved murders. “

*The family is experiencing intense grief and all statements from them will be handled through their legal team.

Iris Eytan
Jane Byrialsen
Morphew Family and Civil Rights Attorneys

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member