Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

BM defense 2.0 --Claims of conflict of interest. DA conflict eliminated moving prosecution to the 12th Judicial District. CBI is the state agent -- can't exclude them here. Demanding outside and independent team??

Um, isn't 12th judicial district completely different to the 11th judicial district? So local LE and local DA are also different? I know its Chaffee's case originally but because remains were found in Moffat doesnt that make it at least joint with Chaffee and Saguache counties? (Genuine questions please forgive the stupidity if they are not different at all ♥)

Wonder who would pick an "outside and independent team" ?
Who would Iris trust enough, other than herself of course :rolleyes:

moo

Um, isn't 12th judicial district completely different to the 11th judicial district? So local LE and local DA are also different? I know its Chaffee's case originally but because remains were found in Moffat doesnt that make it at least joint with Chaffee and Saguache counties? (Genuine questions please forgive the stupidity if they are not different at all ♥)

Wonder who would pick an "outside and independent team" ?
Who would Iris trust enough, other than herself of course :rolleyes:

moo

The statements about the investigators having a conflict of interest and the need for an "outside and independent team" were from a press release signed as "BM's civil attorneys," after SM's body recovered.

I was curious why they'd name CBI who are not a local agency but statewide. I went back and re-read CBI's Motion to Dismiss filed in response to BM's civil lawsuit, and I think tagging CBI in the press release was just lashing out at the Attorney General's Office who not only represent CBI in the civil suit but is also home to the special prosecutors unit who will likely to be involved in both assembling and running a GJ Investigation and prosecuting BM in the 12th judicial district. MOO

Iris is the only conspiracist in this case, with her biggest conspiracy being the manipulation to have Judge Murphy recuse himself from the case. And who should come on board but IE’s buddy Judge Lama. IMO.
IIRC, the grounds for demanding Murphy's recusal fell into Morphew's lap when the CCSO arrested his girlfriend (Darke?) for trespassing at the Puma Path property. It was a very thin case and the DA dismissed it, but not before Eytan's partner arranged for her husband's firm to represent the girlfriend on the charge (Morphew probably paid the fee). Also, Darke had been listed by the DA as a witness against Morphew, and her lawyer agreed to represent her in that capacity. The firm her lawyer worked for was led by Murphy's best friend, providing grounds for recusal. Murphy asked the prosecutors whether they were prepared to remove Darke from the witness list. They declined to do that and he felt that he had no choice but to remove himself. CSC Chief Justice Boatright appointed Lama, not the sharpest tool at his disposal IMO.

Boatright's poor choice for Murphy's replacement may have been just bad luck for the DA, but I tend to agree that Eytan and Nielsen saw the potential to manipulate the conflict before it actually arose. They had to be thrilled when Darke was arrested so early in the case. Chief Judge Murphy hadn't been overly impressed with their arguments, and he was the most experienced criminal trial judge in the district. I don't believe Lama was Eytan's "buddy", they had every reason to believe Morphew's arguments would be received more favorably a less experienced judge than Murphy - and they were right.

It may be - as @mrjitty said, that the district's judges were already looking for reasons to impose severe sanctions on the DA's office, and that explains why Lama essentially sank the case. I doubt it, because he made no findings of a pattern of discovery violations across cases in the district.

I think his physical pain was a huge distraction. He didn't look forward to several weeks of trial, and he had virtually no experience handling the high-intensity, high-volume defense tactics of E&N. He saw them as better prepared and more competent than the prosecutors, and he went with their arguments. In sum, as former Adams County DA Bob Grant said, he was "played."

I still think Lama's rulings were wrong and eminently appealable. At the time, I was disappointed that Stanley decided to dismiss the case. But like prosecutor Hurlburt and nearly everyone here, I think the case is much stronger with the evidence of Suzanne's remains. I have let go of my issues with Lama. In retrospect, dismissal looks like a brilliant move.

I think all the past motions and rulings will be useful to DA Kelly, but ultimately not a factor in her case. Assuming she avoids misconduct in her own handling of the case, the most serious hurdle she will face is a likely challenge that re-filing violates Morphew's Constitutional and statutory right to a speedy trial. My guess is that murder is an exception to this rule, and that the new evidence will overcome this argument, but off the top I don't know - and the analysis is probably very fact-intensive.

The other challenge she will face is a local judiciary that is utterly lacking in the kind of experience that Judge Murphy brought to this high profile case. IDK how that will play out, but it's definitely a concern.

A grand jury would offer some protection against the kind of combination circus and discovery proceeding that Eytan and Nielsen made of Morphew's preliminary hearing. Assuming that Kelly follows the rules and commits no arguable misconduct within the GJ proceeding, the independent investigative powers of the GJ can mitigate Morphew's arguments of investigative bias. But as someone pointed out, it takes resources to convene and operate a grand jury, and a rural district that's not exactly a resort area may not have those resources. I wonder if the state AG's special prosecutions unit would convene the state grand jury, as they did in the Elijah McClain case?

All MOO. Good discussion, gang!

Last edited:
He wouldn't even need a dart in that situation. All he had to do was use a syringe to remove the tranquilizer from the vial, and inject Suzanne with that same syringe.
So in the scenario he didn’t use a dart/dart gun and injected Suzanne directly/manually with a syringe. While watching the short “filling dart syringe” video clip embedded in the link below-
after filling the syringe with the liquid solution from the little cup prior to loading into dart,
I’m imagining the cup filled with liquid as a vial filled with the BAM tranq mixture. BM takes the needle cap/sheath off the syringe and instead of placing the cap aside on a table (like person in video) or on workbench in BM’s case, puts the cap in his shorts pocket and proceeds to manually stab and inject Suzanne with the BAM. In his frenzy, he forgets he put the cap in his pocket and it’s later found by the authorities located in the household dryer. I’m sure that had to have been an ‘oh $&@# !!’ moment for ‘ole BM when he learned LE found that cap.

I wonder if BM wore gloves like the person in the video which would explain iirc, his prints/DNA weren’t found on the recovered cap. If so, I imagine gloves were dumped in Broomfield on one of his 5 trash runs.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarification

Last edited:
IIRC, the grounds for demanding Murphy's recusal fell into Morphew's lap when the CCSO arrested his girlfriend (Darke?) for trespassing at the Puma Path property. It was a very thin case and the DA dismissed it, but not before Eytan's partner arranged for her husband's firm to represent the girlfriend on the charge (Morphew probably paid the fee). Also, Darke had been listed by the DA as a witness against Morphew, and her lawyer agreed to represent her in that capacity. The firm her lawyer worked for was led by Murphy's best friend, providing grounds for recusal. Murphy asked the prosecutors whether they were prepared to remove Darke from the witness list. They declined to do that and he felt that he had no choice but to remove himself. CSC Chief Justice Boatright appointed Lama, not the sharpest tool at his disposal IMO.

Boatright's poor choice for Murphy's replacement may have been just bad luck for the DA, but I tend to agree that Eytan and Nielsen saw the potential to manipulate the conflict before it actually arose. They had to be thrilled when Darke was arrested so early in the case. Chief Judge Murphy hadn't been overly impressed with their arguments, and he was the most experienced criminal trial judge in the district. I don't believe Lama was Eytan's "buddy", they had every reason to believe Morphew's arguments would be received more favorably a less experienced judge than Murphy - and they were right.

It may be - as @mrjitty said, that the district's judges were already looking for reasons to impose severe sanctions on the DA's office, and that explains why Lama essentially sank the case. I doubt it, because he made no findings of a pattern of discovery violations across cases in the district.

I think his physical pain was a huge distraction. He didn't look forward to several weeks of trial, and he had virtually no experience handling the high-intensity, high-volume defense tactics of E&N. He saw them as better prepared and more competent than the prosecutors, and he went with their arguments. In sum, as former Adams County DA Bob Grant said, he was "played."

I still think Lama's rulings were wrong and eminently appealable. At the time, I was disappointed that Stanley decided to dismiss the case. But like prosecutor Hurlburt and nearly everyone here, I think the case is much stronger with the evidence of Suzanne's remains. I have let go of my issues with Lama. In retrospect, dismissal looks like a brilliant move.

I think all the past motions and rulings will be useful to DA Kelly, but ultimately not a factor in her case. Assuming she avoids misconduct in her own handling of the case, the most serious hurdle she will face is a likely challenge that re-filing violates Morphew's Constitutional and statutory right to a speedy trial. My guess is that murder is an exception to this rule, and that the new evidence will overcome this argument, but off the top I don't know - and the analysis is probably very fact-intensive.

The other challenge she will face is a local judiciary that is utterly lacking in the kind of experience that Judge Murphy brought to this high profile case. IDK how that will play out, but it's definitely a concern.

A grand jury would offer some protection against the kind of combination circus and discovery proceeding that Eytan and Nielsen made of Morphew's preliminary hearing. Assuming that Kelly follows the rules and commits no arguable misconduct within the GJ proceeding, the independent investigative powers of the GJ can mitigate Morphew's arguments of investigative bias. But as someone pointed out, it takes resources to convene and operate a grand jury, and a rural district that's not exactly a resort area may not have those resources. I wonder if the state AG's special prosecutions unit would convene the state grand jury, as they did in the Elijah McClain case?

All MOO. Good discussion, gang!
Great synopsis. I also thought Judge Murphy was doing a good job and doing exactly what he needed to do along with dropping a few advisory comments to both prosecution and defense along the way while giving the nod to prosecution as he should in a preliminary. I do think arresting Darke for something that for most people would have been a warning or at worse a slap on the wrist was yet another over reaction by the DA's office. She was on the witness list so cannot even imagine what they thought they would "squeeze" out of her by over charging her. Another strategy oops on their part. My jaw hit my laptop when I read they arrested her. And maybe just maybe IE is that strategic a thinker or Dru is to create the conflict -- we might never know. I do think Lama did the prosecution a favor as I am one that thinks they may have ended at best with a hung jury the way things were going. But I don't think anything is going to happen until the "new" DA is really, really prepared and ready to go. Lessons were learned from the first attempt by everyone involved.

So in the scenario he didn’t use a dart/dart gun and injected Suzanne directly/manually with a syringe. While watching the short “filling dart syringe” video clip embedded in the link below-
after filling the syringe with the liquid solution from the little cup prior to loading into dart,
I’m imagining the cup filled with liquid as a vial filled with the BAM tranq mixture. BM takes the needle cap/sheath off the syringe and instead of placing the cap aside on a table (like person in video) or on workbench in BM’s case, puts the cap in his shorts pocket and proceeds to manually stab and inject Suzanne with the BAM. In his frenzy, he forgets he put the cap in his pocket and it’s later found by the authorities located in the household dryer. I’m sure that had to have been an ‘oh $&@# !!’ moment for ‘ole BM when he learned LE found that cap.

I wonder if BM wore gloves like the person in the video which would explain iirc, his prints/DNA weren’t found on the recovered cap. If so, I imagine gloves were dumped in Broomfield on one of his 5 trash runs.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarification
It's a good theory but prosecution would just have to explain why Suzanne's and her daughter's dna were on the needle cap. I think in the second attempt they can speculate about things and they almost have to in order to fill the gaps, but they need to be able to explain why their speculation is the only "beyond reasonable doubt" conclusion.

Great synopsis. I also thought Judge Murphy was doing a good job and doing exactly what he needed to do along with dropping a few advisory comments to both prosecution and defense along the way while giving the nod to prosecution as he should in a preliminary. I do think arresting Darke for something that for most people would have been a warning or at worse a slap on the wrist was yet another over reaction by the DA's office. She was on the witness list so cannot even imagine what they thought they would "squeeze" out of her by over charging her. Another strategy oops on their part. My jaw hit my laptop when I read they arrested her. And maybe just maybe IE is that strategic a thinker or Dru is to create the conflict -- we might never know. I do think Lama did the prosecution a favor as I am one that thinks they may have ended at best with a hung jury the way things were going. But I don't think anything is going to happen until the "new" DA is really, really prepared and ready to go. Lessons were learned from the first attempt by everyone involved.
Thanks! I think the investigators were hoping to search Darke's devices and her residence for anything they could get, and to interrogate her at least about her relationship with Morphew -- which would be relevant to the trespass charge. Not sure what they got, if anything.

I think E&N anticipated that the DA would call Darke as a witness against BM - that would be an obvious move for the prosecution - and lined up defense counsel to advise her as a witness, before her arrest on a separate charge. It would have been natural for Nielsen to think of her husband's firm: McDermott, Stuart, and Ward has a big criminal law practice. I'm not sure whether Nielsen was aware of McDermott's relationship with Murphy before she took on the Morphew case, but the firm's standard conflicts check for new clients would have alerted them (and Nielsen). It would have been obvious to E&N how they could use the conflict if the DA wanted to call Darke as a witness. The arrest simply played into their hands.

I agree that the new prosecutor will go to school on the 11th District case. She will fix any expert witness problems or legal insufficiencies, be sure all the evidence is assembled and ready for discovery from the outset, batten the hatches and be prepared for the Hurricane.

She will also see if any of Morphew's civil case survives to the discovery phase, and if so wait to see what he says in the depositions. There should be a ruling on the motions in that case sometime this summer.

Thanks! I think the investigators were hoping to search Darke's devices and her residence for anything they could get, and to interrogate her at least about her relationship with Morphew -- which would be relevant to the trespass charge. Not sure what they got, if anything.

I think E&N anticipated that the DA would call Darke as a witness against BM - that would be an obvious move for the prosecution - and lined up defense counsel to advise her as a witness, before her arrest on a separate charge. It would have been natural for Nielsen to think of her husband's firm: McDermott, Stuart, and Ward has a big criminal law practice. I'm not sure whether Nielsen was aware of McDermott's relationship with Murphy before she took on the Morphew case, but the firm's standard conflicts check for new clients would have alerted them (and Nielsen). It would have been obvious to E&N how they could use the conflict if the DA wanted to call Darke as a witness. The arrest simply played into their hands.

I agree that the new prosecutor will go to school on the 11th District case. She will fix any expert witness problems or legal insufficiencies, be sure all the evidence is assembled and ready for discovery from the outset, batten the hatches and be prepared for the Hurricane.

She will also see if any of Morphew's civil case survives to the discovery phase, and if so wait to see what he says in the depositions. There should be a ruling on the motions in that case sometime this summer.
I have been back and forth about the civil case impact but if I were the DA I would wait.

I really have to disagree on this. IE makes Alan Jackson and David Yanetti look like saints IMO.
So we will agree to disagree since this is really not the thread for the Karen Read case. JMO
I looked into the case further, and ITA to the extent that counsel is representing an innocent party. All-out defense tactics (including publicity campaign, attacks on prosecutor, etc.) are similar to IE's, but the defense in the courtroom has been very skilled. And the Commonwealth's case is underwhelming, barely getting to a jury...

It's a good theory but prosecution would just have to explain why Suzanne's and her daughter's dna were on the needle cap. I think in the second attempt they can speculate about things and they almost have to in order to fill the gaps, but they need to be able to explain why their speculation is the only "beyond reasonable doubt" conclusion.
Thanks. One theory/speculation I have thought of as to how SM and daughter’s DNA possibly got on the needle cap-
BM wearing gloves, perhaps the fitted latex kind, quickly loaded the syringe in the garage on his workbench and/or grabbed possible pre-loaded syringe from wherever it was stored in garage (somewhere on or near his workbench I’d think).
I can see him keeping the needle cap secured on top of it until he caught up to/was up close to Suzanne and ready to stab/inject her cuz dangerous to be running around with an uncapped/exposed needle as in,
if he tripped or fell or something like that, exposed needle could end up stabbing him, so I think he would have been cautious in that regard and kept the needle capped till right before he was ready to use it to inject Suzanne.

BM arrives at master bedroom door (still has the gloves on) busts door in, struggle ensues. Suzanne is trying to fight him off/fighting for her life. Suzanne’s arms/hands are flailing trying with all her might to break free (fingernail gauges on BM’s arm), sees the capped syringe in his hand, reaches for it trying to either grab it or knock it away and one of her her hands/fingertips touch or brushes the cap before he removes it. This would explain SM’s DNA on the cap. And if she had touched and/or used something of MM2’s earlier that day, MM2’s DNA ended up on the cap via transfer.

ETA- not sure what the prosecution will present but based on LS comment that they changed their original theory of the case, I’m leaning more towards manual injection theory and this is just one possibility/scenario I’ve considered about how SM and daughter’s DNA got on the needle cap.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
The new property owners of the former Morphew home on Puma Path chose to press charges if IRC . I will try to find the Chaffee County Sheriff press release. They live out of state part of the time and saw a stranger lurking around before she took a package off their porch on their security cameras.

[…]

Darke's alleged crime this week happened on Monday at the house, which is located on Puma Path, near County Road 225 in the Maysville area of Chaffee County. Barry Morphew sold the home after Suzanne went missing and before his arrest in May 2021.

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office says the property is marked with no trespassing signage. They said in a Wednesday news release that the new residents of the home spotted a woman approaching from their long driveway and reported it to police. They said she came to the front door and removed a package.

On Tuesday authorities arrested Darke in the Maysville area on a criminal trespass charge. So far it's not clear who the package that was stolen was addressed to or what was inside.

Barry Morphew's trial is scheduled to begin in May 2022.

Thanks. One theory/speculation I have thought of as to how SM and daughter’s DNA possibly got on the needle cap-
BM wearing gloves, perhaps the fitted latex kind, quickly loaded the syringe in the garage on his workbench and/or grabbed possible pre-loaded syringe from wherever it was stored in garage (somewhere on or near his workbench I’d think).
I can see him keeping the needle cap secured on top of it until he caught up to/was up close to Suzanne and ready to stab/inject her cuz dangerous to be running around with an uncapped/exposed needle as in,
if he tripped or fell or something like that, exposed needle could end up stabbing him, so I think he would have been cautious in that regard and kept the needle capped till right before he was ready to use it to inject Suzanne.

BM arrives at master bedroom door (still has the gloves on) busts door in, struggle ensues. Suzanne is trying to fight him off/fighting for her life. Suzanne’s arms/hands are flailing trying with all her might to break free (fingernail gauges on BM’s arm), sees the capped syringe in his hand, reaches for it trying to either grab it or knock it away and one of her her hands/fingertips touch or brushes the cap before he removes it. This would explain SM’s DNA on the cap. And if she had touched and/or used something of MM2’s earlier that day, MM2’s DNA ended up on the cap via transfer.

ETA- not sure what the prosecution will present but based on LS comment that they changed their original theory of the case, I’m leaning more towards manual injection theory and this is just one possibility/scenario I’ve considered about how SM and daughter’s DNA got on the needle cap.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne
I think that DNA was transferred to the cap by the detective who handled it. If he didn't change his gloves and had touched other items in the laundry room, touch DNA could be transferred that way.

I think that DNA was transferred to the cap by the detective who handled it. If he didn't change his gloves and had touched other items in the laundry room, touch DNA could be transferred that way.
or it was transferred in the drier.

IMO the cap is mainly incriminating because of how BM tried to explain it away. and now we know why he was so sensitive on the topic

the state don’t need a theory of how it got there.

MOO

IMO the cap is mainly incriminating because of how BM tried to explain it away. and now we know why he was so sensitive on the topic

Exactly, he even admitted it made him look bad, and it helped form the theory that he tranquilized Suzanne.

I’m just glad that Iris can’t claim it was planted anymore. I mean she can, and I’m sure she will, but it’s beyond silly based on the autopsy results, which even she is not disputing.

Exactly, he even admitted it made him look bad, and it helped form the theory that he tranquilized Suzanne.

I’m just glad that Iris can’t claim it was planted anymore. I mean she can, and I’m sure she will, but it’s beyond silly based on the autopsy results, which even she is not disputing.
Actually -- in the civil suit, they do still claim it was planted!

MOO
I know that I've read that the sheath/cap was believed mixed in daughters bed sheets so couldn't touch DNA have been transferred at that time? I know the cap wasn't found in the sheets but inside the dryer vent. I recall seeing the body came but don't remember if this was in the rear of the dryer or the bottom front. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeroAlpha
Back