Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

-Stanley mishandled the prosecution so severely that she was forced to drop all charges against Morphew in 2022, said Jonathan Blasewitz, an attorney for the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, during an opening statement in court Monday. He called the prosecution a “debacle” that was left in “shambles.”

“This case is about a ship with a captain who never manned the bridge,” Blasewitz said. “Instead of navigating the ship and keeping it on course, the captain was engaged with unethical commentary with members of the media … and the ship that crashed was a first-degree murder case.”

During the trial-like disciplinary hearing at the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse in downtown Denver, attorneys for the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel are presenting evidence and witness testimony to support the allegations against Stanley. Her attorney, Steve Jensen, is working to defend her.

The evidence will be weighed by a panel of three: Large, Glenwood Springs attorney Sherry Caloia and Melinda Harper, a member of the public. If the board sustains the allegations, it then will determine the sanction, up to disbarment.

-The first witness called Monday was attorney Jeff Lindsey, who was initially the lead prosecutor on the Morphew case.

The small district attorney’s office was overwhelmed by the scope and scale of the investigation into Morphew, Lindsey testified, and he could not handle all of the work alone.

He frequently asked for additional help, but Stanley never provided it, he said, and there was never a full-time prosecutor assigned to the Morphew case. Lindsey was responsible for both the Morphew case and a full felony docket after Morphew’s arrest, he testified.

Stanley was frequently out of the office, was not quick to respond to emails and was “hard to find,” Lindsey testified. He left the job after a few months, resigning because he “physically and mentally could not keep up.”

“I told her I couldn’t do it anymore,” he said, describing a meeting with Stanley. “… She said, ‘It sounds like you are trying to get off a sinking ship.’

-Stanley mishandled the prosecution so severely that she was forced to drop all charges against Morphew in 2022, said Jonathan Blasewitz, an attorney for the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, during an opening statement in court Monday. He called the prosecution a “debacle” that was left in “shambles.”

“This case is about a ship with a captain who never manned the bridge,” Blasewitz said. “Instead of navigating the ship and keeping it on course, the captain was engaged with unethical commentary with members of the media … and the ship that crashed was a first-degree murder case.”

During the trial-like disciplinary hearing at the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse in downtown Denver, attorneys for the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel are presenting evidence and witness testimony to support the allegations against Stanley. Her attorney, Steve Jensen, is working to defend her.

The evidence will be weighed by a panel of three: Large, Glenwood Springs attorney Sherry Caloia and Melinda Harper, a member of the public. If the board sustains the allegations, it then will determine the sanction, up to disbarment.

-The first witness called Monday was attorney Jeff Lindsey, who was initially the lead prosecutor on the Morphew case.

The small district attorney’s office was overwhelmed by the scope and scale of the investigation into Morphew, Lindsey testified, and he could not handle all of the work alone.

He frequently asked for additional help, but Stanley never provided it, he said, and there was never a full-time prosecutor assigned to the Morphew case. Lindsey was responsible for both the Morphew case and a full felony docket after Morphew’s arrest, he testified.

Stanley was frequently out of the office, was not quick to respond to emails and was “hard to find,” Lindsey testified. He left the job after a few months, resigning because he “physically and mentally could not keep up.”

“I told her I couldn’t do it anymore,” he said, describing a meeting with Stanley. “… She said, ‘It sounds like you are trying to get off a sinking ship.’
The article says this was the first murder case Stanley oversaw, but wasn't she 11th Judicial District DA when the case was tried against Alan Lee Phillips for the 1982 murders of Bobbi Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee? I have a vague memory of Stanley being interviewed and saying something about seeing "Oberholz" appear on the display on Wheel of Fortune at the time when prosecutors were deciding whether or not to proceed with the case and she took it as a sign that it was time.

Am I misremembering?

This article has only a brief mention of Stanley in relation to the case:

Phillips was convicted and has since died in prison.

The article says this was the first murder case Stanley oversaw, but wasn't she 11th Judicial District DA when the case was tried against Alan Lee Phillips for the 1982 murders of Bobbi Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee? I have a vague memory of Stanley being interviewed and saying something about seeing "Oberholz" appear on the display on Wheel of Fortune at the time when prosecutors were deciding whether or not to proceed with the case and she took it as a sign that it was time.

Am I misremembering?

This article has only a brief mention of Stanley in relation to the case:

Phillips was convicted and has since died in prison.
Just checked. The Morphew case was dropped in April of 22, and the conviction of Phillips came several months later.

Jonathan Blasewitz sounds like a mouthpiece for IE. We all know exactly why the BM's case was dismissed and I'm not interested in hearing yet more biased, political, rhetoric. So tiring. Let the facts speak.

Just checked. The Morphew case was dropped in April of 22, and the conviction of Phillips came several months later.
Phillips was arrested Feb 24, 2021 and charged for the kidnappings, assaults, and murders in May 2021. In Sept 2021, after a preliminary hearing, a judge ordered that he stand trial:

I don't see anything actionable by IE beside a change of venue which won't even apply when charges are brought.

She'll make noise....

But noise can't compete with the discovery of Suzanne's remains and the content of her autopsy report.

Will be glad when all this dust settles and justice can get back on track.

JMO

To be clear (and also transparent), "protect ethical prosecutors.org" or PEP is the non-profit founded and organized by non other than IE.

IE was gunning to take down a DA long before the name BM passed her lips. Her attempt at legislation to enact and pass a similar law in Colorado against prosecutors/civil servants to that banning qualified immunity against LE failed the first time but by 2024, she certainly picked up the desired momentum and media attention. MOO

Last edited:
To be clear (and also transparent), "protect ethical prosecutors.org" or PEP is the non-profit founded and organized by non other than IE.

IE was gunning to take down a DA long before the name BM passed her lips. Her attempt at legislation to enact and pass a similar law in Colorado against prosecutors/civil servants to that banning qualified immunity against LE failed the first time but by 2024, she certainly picked the desired momentum and media attention. MOO

I understand that; however, since Dan Edwards was granted diversion in the matter (and the details of that kept out of the public eye) by the CO Supreme Ct Regulation Counsel while Stanley continues to be pursued, it still seems to me a conflict. For example, was a requirement of that diversion that he be publicly critical of Stanley or others? Since the details were kept out of the public eye, how are we to know?

I understand that; however, since Dan Edwards was granted diversion in the matter (and the details of that kept out of the public eye) by the CO Supreme Ct Regulation Counsel while Stanley continues to be pursued, it still seems to me a conflict. For example, was a requirement of that diversion that he be publicly critical of Stanley or others? Since the details were kept out of the public eye, how are we to know?
Oh, I completely agree. Especially as IE filed complaints with OARC against each of the prosecutors who worked on this case and requested each including Edwards be sanctioned if not disbarred. This would also include Jeff Lindsey and Mark Hurlburt who I believe all have pending investigation by OARC. MOO

IE requested OARC investigate the following for disbarment and/or significant discipline: Stanley, Lindsey, Hurlbert, Pembeleton, Edwards, Weiner, and Grosegebauer.
“They excused any evidence of innocence, concealed favorable evidence, manufactured evidence and opinions and allowed witnesses to testify falsely,” the complaint states. “The real threat to the public remains as long as they are able to continue the practice of law without any significant discipline.”

https://krdo.b-cdn.net/2023/04/2023-03-29-Morphew-OARC-RFI.pdf
3/29/23

RE: REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION OF THE FOLLOWING COLORADOPROSECUTORS AND/OR CONTRACTED PROSECUTORS PERTAINING TOMISCONDUCT COMMITTED ON PEOPLE V. MORPHEW, CHAFFEE COUNTY CASE#21CR78 AND FREMONT COUNTY CASE #2022CR47 DURING TIMEFRAMESREFLECTED IN PARENTHESIS:

LINDA STANLEY, #45298 (April 2021-October 2022)
JEFF LINDSEY, #24664 (April 2021-January 2022)
MARK HURLBERT, #24606 (August 2021-October 2022)
AARON PEMBELETON, #53924 (May 2021-September 2021)
DAN EDWARDS, #7938 (September 2021-March 2022)
BOBWEINER, #21572 (November 2021-April 2022) GRANTGROSEGEBAUER, #50229 (March 2022-April 2022)

@Diddian
IDK either. FWIW:
From link in ^ post. The letter's siggie line:
"Erin Robson Kristofco
Senior Assistant Regulation Counsel"

From linkedin.com
"About
"Originally from Colorado, Ms. Kristofco graduated from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1997. In 2001, she received her Juris Doctorate from Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon."

"Attorney
"Merlin Law Group
"Jun 2011 - Mar 2013 1 year 10 months
"Ms. Kristofco has extensive national property insurance litigation experience, including trial experience in federal and state courts around the country in both bench and jury trials. Her practice includes representation of corporate and individual policyholders in first party property insurance coverage disputes against insurance companies."

"Of Counsel
"Horowitz & Burnett, P.C.
"Jun 2008 - Jun 2011 3 years 1 month
"Extensive experience in property insurance litigation, commercial property foreclosures, bankruptcy adversary proceedings, and complex contract disputes."

"Principal
"Yates Law Firm, LLC
"Apr 2003 - Jun 2008 5 years 3 months"

I don't think that would have stopped BM from killing Suzanne that weekend. Delayed it, but not stopped it. :(

JMO
Your thoughts most appreciated. Thank you!
Plenty of our cohorts have construction, home improvement & DIY experience, and I ask for their views on Our Push-up King taking off an entire door from its hinges before Suzanne has a chance to sound an SOS by any of her multitudinous means at hand.
Even marginal-brain-dysfunction Barr would realize he's done when he cannot burst in. Suzanne has toasted him. Post-rage detritus at Morphew's Happy Place cannot be storied away with vermin rage. He's caught, bolting or not. And Suzanne cannot imagine a better purpose to which she may apply her share of their feria than to the Pinkertons' successors.
Q: So would this not have fixed numbie's wagon ;)?

State authorities alleged during the proceeding in Denver that Stanley, the sitting elected district attorney for Chaffee, Custer, Fremont and Park counties, made inappropriate comments to members of the media during the Morphew prosecution, failed to capably lead the district attorney’s office and attempted to retaliate against the judge presiding over the Morphew case

Stanley is accused of violating seven rules of conduct, with five violations occurring during the Morphew prosecution. He was charged with murder in 2021, a year after his wife, Suzanne Morphew, 49, disappeared from the family’s Chaffee County home on May 10, 2020.

The first witness called was attorney Jeff Lindsey, the initial lead prosecutor on the Morphew case and the current unopposed candidate to replace Stanley as 11th Judicial District attorney.

He said the small office was overwhelmed by the scope and scale of the investigation and he could not handle all of the work alone.!!!!!!!

“I told her I couldn’t do it anymore,” he said, describing a meeting with Stanley in which she scrolled on her phone as he spoke. “… She said, ‘It sounds like you are trying to get off a sinking ship.’

Lindsey acknowledged that Stanley at times met weekly to discuss the Morphew case, and that before the preliminary hearing, she arranged for Lindsey to take a week away from his other work to focus on the case.

He also agreed that she sought a significant budget increase for the district attorney’s office that was denied by the judicial district’s county commissioners.

There was never a full-time prosecutor assigned to the Morphew case, Lindsey testified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back