Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I appreciate your local insight, thanks for sharing.

So how do you think Bury found this remote location and why was it a desirable to him?? It sounds like it is well off the beaten trail. I tend to associate him in a high end Ford 350 and a million dollar home.

From some research about the address, it seems he is living well below his normal millionaire standard of living.

Hmmmm.....

JMO
Have you ever seen the prices on Harley’s? There is an appeal with middle aged men with money. Arizona came up several times in case artifacts with Suzanne and Barry.

Just for a little bit about the area for those who may be interested...

In many ways, Cave Creek (and Carefree, which it kind of blurs boundary lines with in many ways) is quite a sleepy little place.

We have a lot of great hiking (several regional parks - more than one that's featured in other missing person cases on here, actually) but other than that it's local restaurants and a few local dining chains (other than the DQ and Circle K, everything else is local) and the biker bars and that's basically all there is to the heart of that part of town where BM's address is.

Especially from about October-late April, people flock to the the biker bars from surrounding areas, particularly on weekends.

When WestWorld (Scottsdale) has their big bike week thing each spring (it's one of the largest biker rallies held in the US after Sturgis and Daytona apparently) Cave Creek is truly inundated because it's renowned for the biker bars.

A pic from Cave Creek bike week this past year.

437755168_804826898332365_1739486355343799791_n.jpg

See more here (CC Bike Week is hosted by The Hideaway & The Roadhouse - two of the main biker bars).

The Hideaway, Roadhouse, Harold's Corral, Horny Toad, etc. are definitely where people who come to Cave Creek tend to head.

All of them are walking distance from BM's address. I mean, just about everything in the heart of CC is walking distance really, but...I have exactly zero surprise with him having some ties to the address over there that he's frequenting them.

To me, that scene has zero appeal, but for someone like BM, with the friend(s) he has here who are very much part of those circles, honestly, it's the perfect place to be.

He can be in a massive crowd of people who hop back and forth between the various establishments, and back and forth across Cave Creek Rd, and he can pretty much be anonymous. It's loud, it's pretty dark, there's a sea of people from sundown on, and we're far enough away from Suzanne's death and CO distance/time wise that unfortunately far too few people would ever really be any the wiser that he's the no good he is.
Oh I can see that. And I hear bikers are really good people. It may not be my taste but I do hear good things. I just never pictured Barry, being the vain person he is, and being so strict with Suzanne, as a laid back guy who would desire that life. His desire was to murder her, say a mountain lion grabbed her, and retain his home and stellar reputation, although maybe not so stellar. When that didn’t happen, he decided to go with the story that she ran off with another man. Now he is likely back to a stranger abduction.
I just don’t see a jury buying that a stranger injected her with BAM.
I admit I don’t have a good opinion of the low life I believe him to be. I can see how he schmoozes his daughters. I hate how he has ruined their lives.
I wonder whatever happened with SD, his gf?
I hope justice will prevail for Suzanne and Cave Creek can be rid of him.

CO. Wrongful Death Action. Who May File? Deadline?

@I am not Sherlock H. posted: " .... Always wondered too whether BM might eventually be the recipient of a civil suit over the death of SM?..." sbm

@I am not Sherlock H.
@Megnut
Yes, ^ re WHO is eligible to file a WDA in CO, per below.
But the legal defense which would result in a judge dismissing a WDA for this death is CO. Statute of Limitations, i.e., TWO years, per below.

At this point, Aug. 2024, a concrete-wall-reinforced-w-steel-beams-defense for the May 2020 death?
imo
"... exclusive right to file a wrongful death lawsuit to the surviving spouse during the first year following a death. If there is no surviving spouse, children have the option to file, and if there are no children, parents can initiate a lawsuit.”
"The statute of limitations (time limit imposed by law) is two years in Colorado. A wrongful death claim that is not filed within that time period will be forever barred from recovery."
*Colorado Revised Statutes Sections 13-21-201 through 13-21-204
I'm of the opinion that the "clock" doesn't start ticking until, in this case, the coroner's conclusions are made a matter of record.
Yay or nay?

Yes, and it's right by the biker bars he's been seen at multiple times. (I'm local)

BM of the time when SM "disappeared" is not BM of today. I feel that when Suzanne got sick, BM was feeling on a high horse. He was still young, healthy, while wife was ill, probably, exhausted from chemo, probably, very insecure of the future. He treated her horribly because he could afford to...well, and because he is a , of course.
However, when SM beat the cancer, was getting on the mend, started the relationship with the man BM had always been jealous of, and finally, had the strength to tell BM she was leaving - I think BM killed out of desperation. Part of it was money, but part was his horrible insecurity around SM. You have to trace everything BM did to realize that he is not stupid, but something is amiss upstairs, you know? So I think it may have been less of a planned murder as more his insecurity showing itself.

From that standpoint, maybe, BM is not inherently suicidal. I consider people who are serial killers, or engaged in lengthy plans to kill others, potentially suicidal, because control over anyone else's life and own one are, essentially, the same. BM, while probably scoring higher than average on suicide risk, may have not been that high.

But see what happened. He killed SM, who was the face of his family, his window into the big world, his community support, everything... And what did he get? Well, he got Sho-Sho who was the only one thinking that she resembled SM. And even Sho-Sho didn't last for long. His community? I suspect he lost it. His girls? I can't be too sure, but I feel that things are not easy for them. His business? Consider it gone. That trailer he lives in?

His only chance was that 15M lawsuit. Then he could at least buy some place under the sun that's a level above his current one. But that didn't materialize.

So he can't hide behind his fences, a beautiful wife, two beautiful girls, the community, his church, his business, his hobby. He is exceptionally vulnerable. And I think that it does put him into a risk group.

His girls he doesn't think of. He didn't bother much about their feelings when Suzanne disappeared, did he?

You are right about his image. But this image is so tarnished now! That is why his risk is high.

His daughters might be supporting him, but they are mostly good ornaments on his sides. I doubt they can deliver a convincing speech unless coached by his wonderful lawyer.

Bbm

I saw BM at a Starbucks close to Cave Creek this past spring, with a blond who may or may not have been SD. I only saw her from the back, and could not get a look at her face without being totally obvious that’s what I was doing.

I’m not local, but someone staying in Cave Creek/Carefree for several weeks at a time for medical appointments. (Waving at you, @TravelingBug!) We can be at Mayo in a half an hour, easy, from the junction of Cave Creek Road and Tom Darlington/Scottsdale Road.

We really like the area, a bit of a rural feel, with amenities very close. Lots of horse properties, gated communities, high-end homes, condos all over, and lots of places not so pricey, though everything seems a bit high there.

Supposedly, Carefree has the highest median home price in the state. Lots of three/seven/ten million dollar plus homes in the Cave Creek/Carefree area. (Which is not where BM is if he’s in a 1960’s era Fleetwood, even if it is fantastically remodeled.)

I’ll keep my eyes open for a BM sighting next time we’re there.

I'm of the opinion that the "clock" doesn't start ticking until, in this case, the coroner's conclusions are made a matter of record.
Yay or nay?
Any civil suit for wrongful death by either of the daughters who are the only two with legal standing to file in Colorado are past. They had 2 years after the death and given the condition of the body my guess it would be too late to try and extract money from their father. If I were a civil judge and I am not I would find it problematical if the daughters argued a different time of death all of a sudden. Plus they don’t seem to need money from their father and seem to be letting things take their course.

I understand you said 'may have' discovered the vehicle used but I have not heard that before.
If so, in addition to BAM, that would be great news and final nail in the coffin so to speak.
Just hopeful on my part but not outside the realm of possibility. They know be got there somehow. Time changes loyalties. Maybe someone near to PP has had occasion to think and rethink and recalls a pevuliarity about a vehicle. Seat change, mirror change, fuel status change. Maybe some sagebrush exclusive to Moffat welded itself to an undercarriage. Maybe he made it there and back by backroads in an ATV, further supporting the shallow grave. Without his beloved earth mover, forced to dig by hand, racing against time as the sunrise waits for no one.

Plus... while he remains the favored POI, Barry has not yet been re-arrested so he doesn't get discovery. He doesnt know what LE knows. Active investigation. Open investigation. Every neighbor, every local at the watering hole could be a plant. Every knock at the door, every LEO on the road... it's the kind of pressure that could eat a man.

One plate or two.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB