Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #56 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, very early in the case, someone known to the Morphews was posting here and they mentioned BM did sell his landscaping business in IN. It has been said that the CO home was paid for in cash so I can only guess that was from the proceeds of the sale of the IN business and SM's inheritance from her mother.

Oddly, the IN landscaping business still has the same name (Barry's initials) blmlandscape.com, website (familiar site designer name if you right click "view source") and social media presence BLM Landscape although it appears neglected since 05.18.

I think Suzanne's sister Melinda's comments about financial issues is going to play a huge role in the case. I think BM likes to pretend he's more financially comfortable than what the bank says, and that's probably been a driving force for a lot of his decisions. The love of money being the root of all evil... I will not be the least bit surprised. Of course, this is all entirely speculation.
Great post. People usually kill for money, sex or both.

When BM bought that puma trail home wasn’t he concerned about leaving his beautiful family all alone by themselves while he wasn’t at home being secluded like that and no working security system? Anyone, a psycho could have broken into that house wandering through the mountains day or night. It gets very dark at night. Suzanne must be braver then me because it would be very creepy spending days and nights alone in that house while he was gone which obviously she did many times. Barry and his oldest daughter went on a 10 day hunting trip without Suzanne. My husband would have made sure we had a good working security system to protect his family

I forgot BM doesn’t care or lookout for anyone but himself. I think he loves himself too much to love anyone else. What a selfish arrogant monster. Isn’t it ironic a stranger breaking in doesn’t kill Suzanne but her protector does the deed.

Ummmm I live beside a golf course and have not heard of this cancer connection. Scared to Google it. :eek: Still catching up on all the great posts from yesterday. My daughter is still in the hospital :( so I’ll be there again all day today. Thanks for your prayers. You guys are amazing! xo
Prayers and healing thoughts for your daughter, Lilypad

@steeltowngirl Thx for your post. Link led to familiar sounding spouse, a widower who insisted on quick cremation. Ugh. my2ct.
Quick cremation -- schmick cremation. SMH.
Unless there are religious reasons for quick burial/cremation, I would be highly suspicious. I realize it's the family's wishes as far as funerals and burial times and types, etc., but if it's a suspicious death, what is to be done? How much can LE do? Grrrrr.

There's a good chance you could be right about it being a bloodless crime. Stangulation, for example, is common in intimate-partner violence or homicide. It is the ultimate form of power and control. And it doesn't leave a big mess to clean up.
AND it is, in most states, considered murder in the 1st degree -- as we all know, strangulation unto death takes several minutes. There is time for the person doing the strangling to change his/her mind and stop, thereby allowing the victim to recover -- quite unlike shooting someone. SMH.

I’m so intrigued in what BM told his daughters. The family appears to have liquidated Suzanne’s personal items (her clothing and her car), and seemingly went on with their daily lives very soon after Suzanne’s disappearance. Never searching or attending vigils or memorials even when personally invited to by friends. It really makes one wonder what Barry told his daughters?

Colorado End-of-Life Options Act

In 2016, Colorado voters approved Proposition 106, “Access to Medical Aid In Dying,” which amends Colorado statutes to include the Colorado End-of-life Options Act (hereinafter “Act”) at Article 48 of Title 25, C.R.S. The Act:

• Allows an eligible terminally ill individual with a prognosis of six months or less to live to request and self-administer medical aid-in-dying medication in order to voluntarily end his or her life,
  • Authorizes a physician to prescribe medical aid-in-dying medication to a terminally ill individual under certain conditions, and
  • Creates criminal penalties for tampering with a person's request for medical aid-in-dying medication or knowingly coercing a person with a terminal illness to request the medication.
~snip
Medical Aid in Dying | Department of Public Health & Environment
Thank you for this post. I hadn’t thought about this angle, but I wouldn’t put anything past Barry....but whatever he’s told the girls, he’s kept their loyalty up to this point. I hope they reach out to their extended Moorman family for support at some point. Thinking of Gene Moorman in his final days tearing up with worry for his beautiful granddaughters’ futures is heartbreaking

Y'all are actually going to make me watch this, aren't you? :cool:
So many references to it, now I have to sit and watch.
For what it’s worth, I watch video replays @ 1.5 times original speed, slowing down at times I need more clarification. Saves me tons of time. CMs referenced video is worth the watch. Good luck.

Strangulation = Clean Scene?
@MsBetsy bbm sbm Yes, agreeing w you that strangulation may leave a bloodless crime scene but does not necessarily leave a "clean" crime scene w no DNA from vic or perp.

1. Involuntary loss of bladder & bowel control may occur during strangulation, both fatal & non-fatal, per this medical evaluation protocol material.* Yes, may, not always. Loss of control may occur within one minute duration of strangling, per page 5 of infographic.
2. In trying to gain control of vic resisting, perp may inflict other injuries on vic who then bleeds,** leaving blood evidence at strangulation scene, possibly in transport vehicle, if used.
3. If vic is able to resist, strangulation scene may have signs of struggle between perp & vic, such as furniture & objects thrown about, in some cases even perp's blood or bodily fluids.

If LE has located the strangulation site, they may have some or all 3 of above. ^ Maybe more. my2ct.

Sometimes a "clean scene" but not always. my2ct.

Excellent points -- it's not unusual at all for the victim to vomit or for the victim's bowels or bladder to "let go" during the stress of strangulation. Then the perp has to clean up, and LE knows to look for signs of that type thing.
SMH.
We WS'ers know how imperfect murder/murderers can be -- the doer thinks he/she is so smart -- every detail planned, leave no trace (hah!), etc. It's very difficult for a 1st time murderer to commit the "perfect crime" since LE has had much more experience dealing with murder than the perpetrator. And Barry was so, so smart, ya know. Well, we will just see how smart...

Re: BM's status as an experienced hunter.

Where did we get this information from? Was he a hunter in Indiana when they lived there?

The Morphews hadn't been in Colorado all that long, so I am curious how much hunting BM ever did in Colorado. I also question the notion that because of his hunting, he would be highly knowledgeable about the local woods, abandoned mine sites, etc.

He had a full-time job as a landscaper, a second job as a volunteer firefighter - and a wife and two daughters. I don't see where he had a lot of time to get to know the local backwoods as thoroughly as some might think.

Re: the excellent post upthread pointing out that Watts, Peterson and Frazee all disposed of their victims in ways that reflected their personal experience. Frazee claimed to understand how easy it would be for someone to 'disappear' in the vast Colorado woods with all the hidden mine shafts - but he chose a barn he rented and his own home to dispose of the body. Watts went to a remote work site, not a remote site in the woods.

I think first and foremost, BM was a Bobcat man digging holes, not a survivalist/great hunter-type intimately familiar with remote stretches of woodland and abandoned mines. It's also why I am skeptical that he dismembered SM. I've seen no actual evidence or testimony that he was the type of hunter who was actually experienced at field-dressing his kill.

Also...if he was a knowledgeable hunter, why has there never been any mention of firearms? Or even a local hunting buddy who would have shown him the back ways and hidden mine shafts.

When BM bought that puma trail home wasn’t he concerned about leaving his beautiful family all alone by themselves while he wasn’t at home being secluded like that and no working security system? Anyone, a psycho could have broken into that house wandering through the mountains day or night. It gets very dark at night. Suzanne must be braver then me because it would be very creepy spending days and nights alone in that house while he was gone which obviously she did many times. Barry and his oldest daughter went on a 10 day hunting trip without Suzanne. My husband would have made sure we had a good working security system to protect his family

I forgot BM doesn’t care or lookout for anyone but himself. I think he loves himself too much to love anyone else. What a selfish arrogant monster. Isn’t it ironic a stranger breaking in doesn’t kill Suzanne but her protector does the deed.

BBM for emphasis
Apparently a psycho was already living in the house. So sad no one knew in time to stop him. Where is your beautiful wife, Inmate Morphew? MOO

JMO and speculation...
I’ve felt all along that Barry told the daughters he knew who took/murdered Suzanne and why. His publicly calling people ex-cons, criminals and meth heads fed into this story. I feel he convinced the girls they were all in danger and needed to relocate and keep quiet. I’d love to know when and if the daughters were interviewed by LE and, if they were, did they suddenly refuse to cooperate further.

After reading this interesting speculation I thought of the two following:

1. BM suggested to the girls that she was ill and still frail from treatments. Somehow she tripped and fell over the railing. Now the police are trying to frame him and take him away too. All of his clean up and erratic behavior was to keep this from happening.

2. Neither of them had full time employment during her treatments and i'm sure the financial cost was high. They argued over some financial decision so he could pay for the treatments and a heated argument ensued...

JMO IMO

Re: BM's status as an experienced hunter.

Where did we get this information from? Was he a hunter in Indiana when they lived there?

The Morphews hadn't been in Colorado all that long, so I am curious how much hunting BM ever did in Colorado. I also question the notion that because of his hunting, he would be highly knowledgeable about the local woods, abandoned mine sites, etc.

He had a full-time job as a landscaper, a second job as a volunteer firefighter - and a wife and two daughters. I don't see where he had a lot of time to get to know the local backwoods as thoroughly as some might think.

Re: the excellent post upthread pointing out that Watts, Peterson and Frazee all disposed of their victims in ways that reflected their personal experience. Frazee claimed to understand how easy it would be for someone to 'disappear' in the vast Colorado woods with all the hidden mine shafts - but he chose a barn he rented and his own home to dispose of the body. Watts went to a remote work site, not a remote site in the woods.

I think first and foremost, BM was a Bobcat man digging holes, not a survivalist/great hunter-type intimately familiar with remote stretches of woodland and abandoned mines. It's also why I am skeptical that he dismembered SM. I've seen no actual evidence or testimony that he was the type of hunter who was actually experienced at field-dressing his kill.

Also...if he was a knowledgeable hunter, why has there never been any mention of firearms? Or even a local hunting buddy who would have shown him the back ways and hidden mine shafts.
Hunting and baseball was his whole life since a young boy watch these videos for your answers

Last edited:
That makes me think, then, that there would be evidence in the soil - of a recent hot tub dumping or of bleach or both.

Thank you so much!

How could it be determined if it was recent. And if there was such, what could be found to point to foul play vs. normal backwash? "I cleaned out my hot tub" could easily be said?

2. Neither of them had full time employment during her treatments and i'm sure the financial cost was high. They argued over some financial decision so he could pay for the treatments and a heated argument ensued...

JMO IMO

rsbm.
I have wondered if the medical bills had played a big part in their financial situation, possibly more so than other things. I haven’t heard much about that though, so jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmasReal~