Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, @Megnut I agree!
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*
His statements are very derogatory towards SM, I’ve always found them to be. He almost sounds like he’s referring to a stray cat around the house. What a guy, huh?
His $100,000 reward plea
“Safe return no questions asked” like someone stole a dog? BM didn’t value SM as a person much less as a wife or mother. I promise he did his level best to drive wedges in the relationships SM had with her children. That’s the way they are! #Fact

MOO

Credit goes to @NuttMegg! ;)

Folks, RE the "short rifle"--it could be a regular rifle that someone cut down--in the absence of more information we can't know for sure.

But in today's world, it is much more likely to be a rifle built on the AR platform. One can buy an amazing amount of after-market products to buildup or modify an AR. And nearly every gun guy I know has 2 or 3 of them (not me-I dislike the AR). You'll note from the law that a rifle can violate the length by having a short barrel or a short total length. You can get short barrels and/or short stocks (which could turn it into essentially an extra long pistol). The purpose of such a rifle is typically shooting just for fun or for home defense. It is not what what one would typically opt for for hunting. I know a number of people who have similar rifles in .300 Blackout, which is a specialized caliber for military (now used also by civilians for home defense and fun shooting). There are, of course other calibers, and there are other platforms such as various bullpup designs and small submachine guns.

Note that just being short doesn't make it unable to be legally owned--there is a process to go through.
Great first post. We seem to be a little shy of gun experts on this thread. Appreciate your input. Thank you

I’m following a case of 2 LE officers in Loveland Colorado who severely manhandled a 70 year old woman last Summer. The now former officers were just charged today and one has a charge of “attempting to influence a public servant” and the reason given is :

McLaughlin said that the charges of attempt to influence a public servant against Hopp were related to “substantial omissions” and inaccuracies in his reports about the incident.

So, IMO it could be that BM didn’t tell investigators things and outright lied about details that would influence the outcome of the search for SM and the investigation. Just my speculation that this is one thing it *could* be.

Karen Garner case: Ex-Colorado police officers criminally charged

This is helpful and interesting information. Thank you for posting!

I commented pretty much the same thing in the last thread except I disagree that a short rifle is solely for self defense or for fun. I've seen both bullpups and pistol AK's used in hunting, effectively. A pistol AR with an optic would be devastating against certain types of game.

Just out of interest, unrelated to the crime, what would you use such a gun to hunt?

Attempt to Influence?
Snipped from post by BeckyF on previous thread: "… Because I can’t imagine him approaching 8 people at different times and attempting to influence them. Maybe all 8 and Barry were in the same room at the same time when he said whatever he said?..."

@BeckyF. I've been scratching my head too about this charge, so thanks for your post, leading me to try to imagine BM's thought process.

If LEOs from multiple agencies - CCSO, CBI, & FBI - had been assembled in a major task force type meeting, and if BM had been there too and spoken, could that cover say 5 or 6 public employees he tried to influence. The catch w that idea? Difficult to imagine BM being permitted to be near such a gathering at least anytime after Sunday.

Two or three ppl he targeted could be re vote fraud case, maybe in March. One or two FBI agents and maybe the DAO investigator meeting BM at Franz Lake?

No actual theories here. ETA, Oops: I posted before reading @Error505. comment
It could also be that he was questioned by different investigators, telling various or conflicting stories to each one. Maybe he had several different versions of where he was while doing the "mechanical thing" to his bobcat, or what that mechanical thing was. I've always thought that was the time period in which he disposed of the body.

Then there is the story of his saying goodbye to an alive Suzanne at 5:00 Sunday morning, and the wall repair job that he likely threw together at the last minute to create an alibi.

And those are just some of the lies we know about. Who knows what else he did to mislead them.

I wonder if the charge also has something to do with his manipulating the scene where the bike was found and sending LE on a wild goose chase searching the surrounding trails.

Or in this case, a wild mountain lion chase. Maybe it was really Barry who told everyone that LE saw a large male cat pass his vehicle on the day she disappeared.

IMO

Last edited:
Yes, @NuttMegg I agree!
His statements are very derogatory towards SM, I’ve always found them to be. He almost sounds like he’s referring to a stray cat around the house. What a guy, huh?
His $100,000 reward plea
“Safe return no questions asked” like someone stole a dog? BM didn’t value SM as a person much less as a wife or mother. I promise he did his level best to drive wedges in the relationships SM had with her children. That’s the way they are! #Fact

MOO EBM to correct mistake on tag

Yes, EXACTLY

How would you feel if you were kidnapped and your SO advertised " $100,000 no questions asked"?

I'd SURE be asking SO a couple of very big questions !!!!!

Going back to the potential for bail for a minute (as I cannot respond to the posts in the last thread now) .... I think they will try for bail. Will he get bail? Who knows.
^^sbm

There are a few states where bail is allowed for defendants accused of murder but Colorado is not one of them. Defendants charged with murder in Colorado are held until their guilt or innocence is determined.

https://www.denver-colorado-crimina...il-bond-laws-and-rules/bail-bonds-in-colorado

Great first post. We seem to be a little shy of gun experts on this thread. Appreciate your input. Thank you
My money is with the idea he had it in Indiana where it was legal and just never registered it in Colorado or it was an antique or collectible. It will come up in the court somewhere down the line since they charged him.

Attempt to Influence?
Snipped from post by BeckyF on previous thread: "… Because I can’t imagine him approaching 8 people at different times and attempting to influence them. Maybe all 8 and Barry were in the same room at the same time when he said whatever he said?..."

@BeckyF. I've been scratching my head too about this charge, so thanks for your post, leading me to try to imagine BM's thought process.

If LEOs from multiple agencies - CCSO, CBI, & FBI - had been assembled in a major task force type meeting, and if BM had been there too and spoken, could that cover say 5 or 6 public employees he tried to influence. The catch w that idea? Difficult to imagine BM being permitted to be near such a gathering at least anytime after Sunday.

Two or three ppl he targeted could be re vote fraud case, maybe in March. One or two FBI agents and maybe the DAO investigator meeting BM at Franz Lake?

No actual theories here. ETA, Oops: I posted before reading @Error505. comment
BM was a FF. In the in crowd of county emergency etc.
Perhaps some of these other men were also FF or SR.

All these add on charges make me wonder if prosecution is taking a buckshot approach charging whatever they know they can prosecute because they don’t have confidence in the “big one”. Murder is life so why had on low level felonies.

To be clear, Colorado law supersedes federal law when defining illegal gun possession (dangerous weapon) in Colorado.

3. What guns are legal in Colorado?
Legal firearms include:

• Handguns, pistols, revolvers, or other firearms with a barrel more than 12” in length (not counting any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech),
  • Full-length rifles (long guns),
  • Full-length shotguns,
  • Antique firearms manufactured not later than 1898, and
  • Firearms defined as curios or relics under U.S. law.2
People who are otherwise permitted to possess firearms may open carry these weapons in the state, as long as the location permits firearms.

4. What guns are illegal in Colorado?
Guns that are illegal to own include (but are not limited to) any gun or gun accessory that has been classified under federal or state law as a dangerous weapon, including:

• Armor-piercing ammunition,
  • Firearm silencers,
  • Machine guns,
  • Short shotguns (those having a barrel or barrels less than eighteen inches long or an overall length of less than twenty-six inches),
  • Short rifles (those with a barrel less than sixteen inches long or an overall length of less than twenty-six inches),
  • Any defaced firearm (that is, one in which the manufacturer’s serial number, or other distinguishing number or identification mark, has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, except by normal wear and tear), and
  • Large capacity ammunition magazines (capable of holding more than 15 rounds), if purchased after July 1, 2013.3
Certain local governments have banned assault weapons, such as Vail and Boulder. Preemption renders these local laws unenforceable. However, the assault weapon ban in Denver is valid.4

Note that the Colorado Supreme Court recently upheld a ban on large-capacity gun magazines. It is not a violation of rights to limit magazines to 15 rounds.5

Colorado Gun Laws (With 2021 Updates)

Colorado Revised Statutes Title 18. Criminal Code § 18-12-102 | FindLaw

Yes, @NuttMegg I agree!
His $100,000 reward plea

MOO EBM to correct mistake on tag

I totally agree with both of you. Add to that his recent phone interview excerpt that LS has released. Barry clearly states "she was the most beautiful woman in the county"... Ummm what? It's such an odd statement I don't even know what do do with it.

I’m following a case of 2 LE officers in Loveland Colorado who severely manhandled a 70 year old woman last Summer. The now former officers were just charged today and one has a charge of “attempting to influence a public servant” and the reason given is :

McLaughlin said that the charges of attempt to influence a public servant against Hopp were related to “substantial omissions” and inaccuracies in his reports about the incident.

So, IMO it could be that BM didn’t tell investigators things and outright lied about details that would influence the outcome of the search for SM and the investigation. Just my speculation that this is one thing it *could* be.

Karen Garner case: Ex-Colorado police officers criminally charged
Oh, interesting! I’ve been following the same case but had not heard that. I hope we learn more of the details about these types of charges in both cases. Thank you for the information.

I totally agree with both of you. Add to that his recent phone interview excerpt that LS has released. Barry clearly states "she was the most beautiful woman in the county"... Ummm what? It's such an odd statement I don't even know what do do with it.

Maybe he has a GF in another county he didn't want to upset by saying Suzanne was more beautiful than her

I find it so hard to understand how defense attorneys can represent monsters like this and live with themselves. I know, I know…due process and all that, but to have a job that is coming up with an alternate reality than what the evidence suggests, just feels icky. And defending crimes against women - feels so icky.

All these add on charges make me wonder if prosecution is taking a buckshot approach charging whatever they know they can prosecute because they don’t have confidence in the “big one”. Murder is life so why had on low level felonies.

I’m no legal expert but I’d think all of the charges beside murder 1 open up the opportunity for the DA to argue, and show evidence of his guilt of those crimes which in turn bolsters their prosecution for murder 1.

I'm not the OP but I'm guessing such a rifle would be used for large animals such as bear or elk, especially in a dense wooded or rocky area as they are easy to maneuver. Imo
A retired ATF Senior Agent explained why it would not be effective to shoot big game with a short rifle. I like this guy. He says that by just looking at the charges and not the AA, he’s not going to try to “connect any dots” on any of the charges.

Starting around 11:30 they discuss the weapon charge.

The DA seems very confident in the murder charge. Maybe they just want to make sure he's convicted of every charge he's guilty of. Investigators worked relentlessly on this case while Barry mislead them every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme