Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m following a case of 2 LE officers in Loveland Colorado who severely manhandled a 70 year old woman last Summer. The now former officers were just charged today and one has a charge of “attempting to influence a public servant” and the reason given is :

McLaughlin said that the charges of attempt to influence a public servant against Hopp were related to “substantial omissions” and inaccuracies in his reports about the incident.

So, IMO it could be that BM didn’t tell investigators things and outright lied about details that would influence the outcome of the search for SM and the investigation. Just my speculation that this is one thing it *could* be.

Karen Garner case: Ex-Colorado police officers criminally charged
Thank you! I have posted this news in her thread here at WS
CO - Cops violently arrested woman with dementia, 73, laughed about it afterwards, 2021

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*
Does anyone think that the charges for attempting to influence a public official could mean just lying to them when or if they asked Barry if he had anything to do with Suzanne’s disappearance?
Because I can’t imagine him approaching 8 people at different times and attempting to influence them. Maybe all 8 and Barry were in the same room at the same time when he said whatever he said?
@BeckyF

From the Colorado code 18-8-306. Attempt to influence a public servant
Any person who attempts to influence any public servant by means of deceit or by threat of violence or economic reprisal against any person or property, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision, vote, opinion, or action concerning any matter which is to be considered or performed by him or the agency or body of which he is a member, commits a class 4 felony.

BBM

So that sounds like it probably covers lying to LEO and that affecting the action they would take, for example: lying about the last time someone was seen , i.e., "I saw her at 5:00 AM and she was asleep." And it also sounds like it could cover staging a bike to make it look like someone had gone off on a bike ride when they actually hadn't. That would certainly affect how LE would approach the case and where LE would be searching for the missing person. Deceit could also come in the form of planted evidence...a personal item or a bike helmet. If that were the case you might already have 4 charges. MOO

IMHO, I don't think BM needed a room full of people. I think he could have easily accomplished 8 individually, especially if he was accustomed to bullying, threatening, and lying his way through life. It would have come naturally to him.

MOO/JMO

A retired ATF Senior Agent explained why it would not be effective to shoot big game with a short rifle. I like this guy. He says that by just looking at the charges and not the AA, he’s not going to try to “connect any dots” on any of the charges.

Starting around 11:30 they discuss the weapon charge.

Wow, I would think they would be the last choice for small game. I don't know much about hunting, but I live in the mountains and people who use them for hunting say they are easier to maneuver in rugged terrain.

Although, as another poster suggested, it could have been an antique or maybe a family heirloom. Someone like Barry may have had a large gun collection. Imo

@BeckyF

From the Colorado code 18-8-306. Attempt to influence a public servant
Any person who attempts to influence any public servant by means of deceit or by threat of violence or economic reprisal against any person or property, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision, vote, opinion, or action concerning any matter which is to be considered or performed by him or the agency or body of which he is a member, commits a class 4 felony.

BBM

So that sounds like it probably covers lying to LEO and that affecting the action they would take, for example: lying about the last time someone was seen , i.e., "I saw her at 5:00 AM and she was asleep." And it also sounds like it could cover staging a bike to make it look like someone had gone off on a bike ride when they actually hadn't. That would certainly affect how LE would approach the case and where LE would be searching for the missing person. Deceit could also come in the form of planted evidence...a personal item or a bike helmet. If that were the case you might already have 4 charges. MOO

IMHO, I don't think BM needed a room full of people. I think he could have easily accomplished 8 individually, especially if he was accustomed to bullying, threatening, and lying his way through life. It would have come naturally to him.

MOO/JMO
Thank You so much! I hadn’t thought of the charge in those terms because most murder suspects lie when being questioned.

I totally agree with both of you. Add to that his recent phone interview excerpt that LS has released. Barry clearly states "she was the most beautiful woman in the county"... Ummm what? It's such an odd statement I don't even know what do do with it.
Chaffee County announces new charges against Barry Morphew | FOX21 News Colorado

The actual quote:

“My wife is probably the most beautiful woman in this county, and any bad guy would do that if they had the opportunity,” Morphew said.

What I thought was strange was that he used "my wife" instead of "Suzanne", it sounds very possessive. I also thought it was odd he used the word probably which would tend to indicate he isn't sure of what he's saying or isn't being truthful. And the thing I find the strangest is that there is some truth in his statement, "any bad guy would do that if they had the opportunity.” I heard it as, "...any a bad guy would did do that if when they he had the opportunity." Sounds like BM is the "bad guy" that did something to his wife when their daughters were out of town, i.e., he had the opportunity.

MOO/JMO

After reading the bios of the two attorneys set to defend inmate Morphew, I’m afraid just thinking about how this trial is going to unfold.

“As a mother of two boys, Dru is particularly passionate about defending boys and men wrongly accused of domestic violence or sexual misconduct in both university disciplinary and criminal proceedings.”

Source: Eytan Nielsen | Dru Nielsen

BM was a FF. In the in crowd of county emergency etc.
Perhaps some of these other men were also FF or SR.
According to the 8 names listed they were CCSO, CBI, FBI and one from District Attorneys Office

Lamine Mullenax - Chaffee Co Sheriff Deputy

Alex Walker - Chief Investigator - DA’s Office

Derek Graham - CBI

Joe Cahill - CBI

Robin Burgess - CBI

Jonny Grusing - Special Agent FBI

Kenneth Harris - FBI
EBM

^^sbm

There are a few states where bail is allowed for defendants accused of murder but Colorado is not one of them. Defendants charged with murder in Colorado are held until their guilt or innocence is determined.

https://www.denver-colorado-crimina...il-bond-laws-and-rules/bail-bonds-in-colorado

So I was also wondering about the possibility of bail a little while ago, and mentioned something I’d seen recently where someone in CO got a 50k bond in a first degree murder charge. I found this link when looking for CO rules on bail. I know the circumstances are very different, but first degree murder is first degree murder...

Judge: Man charged with 1st degree murder can bond out of jail

My money is with the idea he had it in Indiana where it was legal and just never registered it in Colorado or it was an antique or collectible. It will come up in the court somewhere down the line since they charged him.
Agree, I think he had the weapon in Indiana where he owned it legally. Hunters are usually careful whe ph it comes to gun laws. They don’t want their 2A rights removed or restricted.

Chaffee County announces new charges against Barry Morphew | FOX21 News Colorado

The actual quote:

“My wife is probably the most beautiful woman in this county, and any bad guy would do that if they had the opportunity,” Morphew said.

What I thought was strange was that he used "my wife" instead of "Suzanne", it sounds very possessive. I also thought it was odd he used the word probably which would tend to indicate he isn't sure of what he's saying or isn't being truthful. And the thing I find the strangest is that there is some truth in his statement, "any bad guy would do that if they had the opportunity.” I heard it as, "...any a bad guy would did do that if when they he had the opportunity." Sounds like BM is the "bad guy" that did something to his wife when their daughters were out of town, i.e., he had the opportunity.

MOO/JMO
Where’s Warwick? BAM!

Folks, RE the "short rifle"--it could be a regular rifle that someone cut down--in the absence of more information we can't know for sure.

But in today's world, it is much more likely to be a rifle built on the AR platform. One can buy an amazing amount of after-market products to buildup or modify an AR. And nearly every gun guy I know has 2 or 3 of them (not me-I dislike the AR). You'll note from the law that a rifle can violate the length by having a short barrel or a short total length. You can get short barrels and/or short stocks (which could turn it into essentially an extra long pistol). The purpose of such a rifle is typically shooting just for fun or for home defense. It is not what what one would typically opt for for hunting. I know a number of people who have similar rifles in .300 Blackout, which is a specialized caliber for military (now used also by civilians for home defense and fun shooting). There are, of course other calibers, and there are other platforms such as various bullpup designs and small submachine guns.

Note that just being short doesn't make it unable to be legally owned--there is a process to go through.
Thank you for the information and Welcome to Websleuths!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme