Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO “Dim Lightbulb” is a great description. He wasn’t smart enough to walk away from a marriage he wanted to end for whatever reason. You don’t find many Phi Beta Kappas facing Life Without Parole for Premeditated Murder One of their wife. In his famous 27 second video which he had time to prepare and totally script, he had trouble stringing 3 coherent sentences together. Dim bulb it seems! MOO :D
I see. His life actions sum up up to a bad mess for everyone. In that sense he is as dense as block of lead.

Last edited:
So looking at Google Earth all up and down County Road 105, I am not seeing a property improvement that would include a "beach" feature, as in beach sand and stone.

How often does the Arkansas river go into flood stage, or at least come over its banks enough to sweep away a sand "beach". Something really bugs me about this, just can't put my finger on it yet.
The Arkansas rivers floods plenty often. You can see the curvature into the property yard surrounded by rock which I'm sure is a revetment feature to keep erosion down. Calling it a "beach" is rather grandiose. When the river is low there is wet river bottom in the curvature and when the water is high it is probably full of water. Anyone who lives on water knows that "things" that get buried tend to get uncovered as water flows. I'm not betting a penny that she's anywhere on the water side of the revetment.

Interesting facts, Judge Murphy and one of BM’s attorneys, Dru Nielsen, are both Colorado Natives. Both went to University of Colorado Law School, Boulder. They both also went on to work for the Colorado State Public Defenders office for many years before becoming Judge and going into private practice, respectively. Prior to becoming a Judge, Murphy was a Deputy State Public Defender and head of the PD’s office in Salida. Prior to going into private practice, Nielsen was a Deputy State Public Defender and worked in the Colorado Springs and Denver PD’s office.

Couldn’t locate their age’s on a search.
I’d guess they both probably look younger than their actual age.
Wonder if the two attended U of CO Law School at/around the same time, and/or worked on any cases together when they worked as Colorado Deputy PD’s.
It does appear some of their years working as CO Deputy PD’s might have overlapped.

Just thought the similarities in their backgrounds were interesting, that is all. :)

Colorado Judicial Branch - Bio

Eytan Nielsen | Dru Nielsen

Dru Nielsen ('97) and Tom Ward ('97)

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I would think most parents attempt to put up a united image for their children. Some may shield their children from bickering or arguments. Until we learn otherwise from a credible source we have no information that there was any DV in that family. The only information we have was the minimal information that Suzanne had something going on in her life that she was afraid about. Was that a trigger…possibly. But that on its own doesn’t tell us that there was a history of marital issues. That is speculation.
Well, if it's true that Suzanne was browbeaten every day over her depression, and that Barry was against her trying medical marijuana to ease the side effects of chemo therapy, then I would say that is mental abuse. Emotional abuse often leads to physical abuse. It's true that there is no indication that he was ever physically violent in the marriage, aside from the murder itself. Imo

You're probably right. Here is what I am thinking. BOTH BM and SM created a fantasy image of their marriage for others - especially for their daughters. They hid the tensions, the disputes, the resentments, the anger - appropriately IMO while the daughters' brains were (and are) in development, in the interest of Christian character formation (this latter interest may have been SM's and not BM's). But since last Mothers Day, this fantasy image has been shattered. These are kind and loving girls, but they are intelligent girls, too. They have their mother's gift for discernment as well as her gift for love. Until the arrest, it was possible to believe that LE was simply focused on BM because he was the last person known to see SM, and they had no other leads. His suggestions that SM was the victim of a puma attack, or a stranger abduction could be plausible so long as they were without official contradiction. But unless they are brainwashed, the daughters must now confront, or turn away from, the facts that led to their father's arrest. That will take a while, and they may continue to resist even contemplating the possibility, but the arrest and the charge is, to me, all they need to know to begin that process. The judge's compassion has given them time to decide whether they are even open to the possibility that their beloved father killed their beloved mother, and what that means for them. But the arrest has forced the issue.

BBM -
I don't think we have any information that indicates that BM and SM created a fantasy image of their marriage for others. IMO they appeared very happy on social media. Could this have been a facade? Sure but we have no way of knowing. We cannot know what went on in that family and what the dynamics were for that family behind closed doors and what was hidden or not hidden. For sure for a husband to murder his wife something was off. But what kind of prelude existed to that murder and for how long - we don't know. Melinda has given some insight as have other family members. It seems it was a family where the husband made all the decisions and the wife fell into line along with the girls... until perhaps the dynamics changed and the wife wanted something different and/or the husband wanted something different. I really don't think that happens overnight. IMO There had to have been signs of marital conflict within that house. What was the timeline? As an aside, IMO to portray a fantasy image of marriage, to your children, effectively limits your child's knowledge of how successful relationships work.

The Arkansas rivers floods plenty often. You can see the curvature into the property yard surrounded by rock which I'm sure is a revetment feature to keep erosion down. Calling it a "beach" is rather grandiose. When the river is low there is wet river bottom in the curvature and when the water is high it is probably full of water. Anyone who lives on water knows that "things" that get buried tend to get uncovered as water flows. I'm not betting a penny that she's anywhere on the water side of the revetment.

If it is the new property with the chain link fence along the road, the barn and the lake, I would wonder when was that pond built and filled?

Interesting fact, Judge Murphy and one of BM’s attorneys, Dru Nielsen, are both Colorado Natives and both went to University of Colorado Law School, Boulder. They both went on to work for the Colorado State Public Defenders office for many years before becoming Judge and going into private practice, respectively. Judge Murphy was a supervisor for the CO PD office and worked in the Salida office. DN was a CO Deputy State Public Defender and worked in both the Colorado Springs and Denver PD office before going into private practice.
Couldn’t find their age’s on a search. I’d guess they both probably look younger than their actual age.
Wonder if the two were in law school at the same time and/or worked on any cases together when they worked as Colorado PD’s.
Just thought their similar backgrounds were interesting, that is all.

Colorado Judicial Branch - Bio

Eytan Nielsen | Dru Nielsen

Dru Nielsen ('97) and Tom Ward ('97)

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

If they have known each other for years and been friends or had alumni social dealings, to me that would be grounds for the judge to recuse himself.

Barry has grammar and word usage problems. I believe in one interview he said, “We was...”. These simple, elementary subject verb agreement errors make him appear uneducated and dim. Even a middle schooler would know better.
On the other hand, speaking vernacular familiar to construction workers and day laborers may be helpful in his trade. And I wouldn't label them as "dim" either. I come from a rural part of Texas and "dumbing down" one's language can be a sign of fitting in, not ignorance of proper usage. It can be manipulative to. As in, are you calling me, a "good ol' boy," a murderer? JMHO

It makes no sense (even as a nice gesture to a valued customer) to create a sand "beach feature" that is along a river that floods. Don't bet your penny yet, that pond is rather interesting...

Did a bit more Google Earth investigation and there is only one property along County Road 105 that looks like it is a recent build and has some landscaping, there is lighter colored "material" along the river bank. The property has a pond and what looks like a horse or livestock barn. I wish I could confirm if this is the property or not.

There is a barn, red in color I think. Never saw a pond, but that doesn't mean there isn't one there.

So looking at Google Earth all up and down County Road 105, I am not seeing a property improvement that would include a "beach" feature, as in beach sand and stone.

How often does the Arkansas river go into flood stage, or at least come over its banks enough to sweep away a sand "beach". Something really bugs me about this, just can't put my finger on it yet.

The river rises a good bit in spring/summer from snow melt. In the fall it is much lower with more “beach” exposed.

The best example I can think of is comparing the video that was posted a couple pages ago of a news helicopter fly over in June 2020 vs the pics from Sept 2020 during AM’s search.

BBM. If I understand correctly, circumstantial evidence is not only the most common evidence in criminal trials, it is also among the most powerful evidence. If the ground is dry when I go to sleep and wet when I arise, do I need to see the rain fall during the night to know what happened? Can I not reasonably infer from the circumstances? I am not sure what the court meant by this. Can you explain?

How do you know there isn't a pipe leak below you? That possibly you wet your pants? Did your water spill? Have you ruled out that the relative humidity was so high dew collected beneath you?

My point is you must have linear timelines and explanations that do not cause other questions to arise. Assumptions will never be enough to solve a case, even if they are Occam's razor.

Last edited:
On the other hand, speaking vernacular familiar to construction workers and day laborers may be helpful in his trade. And I wouldn't label them as "dim" either. I come from a rural part of Texas and "dumbing down" one's language can be a sign of fitting in, not ignorance of proper usage. It can be manipulative to. As in, are you calling me, a "good ol' boy," a murderer? JMHO
That may be true, but when he was interviewed he wasn't on a job site, he was speaking to a reporter.

Well, if it's true that Suzanne was browbeaten every day over her depression, and that Barry was against her trying medical marijuana to ease the side effects of chemo therapy, then I would say that is mental abuse. Emotional abuse often leads to physical abuse. It's true that there is no indication that he was ever physically violent in the marriage, aside from the murder itself. Imo

Where is it and who said she was "browbeaten" everyday over her depression? Where did it say she suffered from depression? I do recall the discussion about medical marijuana during her chemo treatments and that "someone" claimed she wanted to try it and Barry said no, but I don't recall who made that claim and if it was first hand or hearsay. Personally I'm at the time now, where keeping track of facts is more important to me as the case moves forward.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. Dismemberment is pure speculation at this point without seeing the AA and not particularly helpful in the general narrative other than to use shock and horror to sway opinions. BM had hundreds of acres to do what ever he wanted with whatever equipment he had available. The potential scenarios are endless. To me the most simple scenario makes the most sense. Dig a hole out in the middle of nowhere, deposit the remains, fill back in and tamp down. Check occasionally for settling and call it a day. Of course BM is not the brightest bulb in the light fixture so he may have made it much more complex than it needed to be. If that is the case, blatant stupidity should be an additional charge were it possible.

I agree. Occam's Razor. Probably with a large cooler involved.

Where is it and who said she was "browbeaten" everyday over her depression? Where did it say she suffered from depression? I do recall the discussion about medical marijuana during her chemo treatments and that "someone" claimed she wanted to try it and Barry said no, but I don't recall who made that claim and if he was first hand or hearsay. Personally I'm at the time now, where keeping track of facts is more important to me as the case moves forward.
It was the same interview in which Andy said she wanted to try medical marijuana but BM was against it. There was a lot of discussion about it many threads ago. Andy went on to say that he didn't understand the stigma associated with depression, and that Suzanne was browbeaten almost every single day (by Barry) when she had depression. I'm assuming it was when she was diagnosed with cancer again when they still lived in Indiana, but I'm not sure if he gave a specific time period. Anyway, it's not uncommon to have depression when diagnosed with a serious medical condition. Imo

Maybe they were both driving around in the truck but his mom didn't want to get out and scramble down the hillside. He may have walked a distance from the truck, and she pulled up to pick him up.
They (BM and his mom) were driving and stopped to speak to TD. BM's truck was blocking an entrance/exit and while BM and TD spoke his mom got out and moved the truck out of the way. She then parked it, got out and went back to the passenger side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member