Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbm

I think the real issue here is the volume of the AA, regardless of who filed it!

I have a different take on the volume, and I think it might relate to the no-body homicide of Kelsie Schelling (2013).

Stanley spent several years in Pueblo County where she left with a heavy heart that no charges had been filed against Kelsie's killer. It took almost 6 years for the acting District Attorney to finally file charges, and pleased to report that her killer was convicted of 1st-degree murder earlier this year.

IMO, the case finally moved forward with no more evidence than they had in 2013. And it was no secret that Stanley disagreed with those that sat on this case.

This was just a thought I had when thinking how BM's AA seemed to include every page from the file. MOO

GUILTY - CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2
That is all fine. This trial like any trial is unique. She just needs to bring the goods to the table within the law.

Last edited:
Interesting. If SM simply told her sister that she was scared then her sister repeating it would be hearsay. Perhaps a text is somehow weightier? I wonder if there was a recovered text message and it was very specific such as "I'm scared that [Fill in the blank] is going to kill me with a rifle tonight" whether that would jump the hearsay hurdle. My first thought is that there is no proof who sent it, so it wouldn't pass muster. IMO IANAL
The specific text (sent Friday morning before MD) to MM from SM was recovered by LE according to MM. MOO this text is important bc MM said she knew right away BM was responsible for SM missing. FBI Forensic Labs will be able to determine which device the message was sent from, what time, etc. It’s very unlikely BM or anyone else was around Friday morning when SM sent the lengthy text. Girls were out of town “camping.” Like I said, this is my own opinion.
EBM typo

Interesting. If SM simply told her sister that she was scared then her sister repeating it would be hearsay. Perhaps a text is somehow weightier? I wonder if there was a recovered text message and it was very specific such as "I'm scared that [Fill in the blank] is going to kill me with a rifle tonight" whether that would jump the hearsay hurdle. My first thought is that there is no proof who sent it, so it wouldn't pass muster. IMO IANAL
On thing that I think is relevant is that there is a 2 hour time difference between Sevierville, TN and Maysville, Colorado. These two sisters were texting each other at different times during their respective day. What Susanne "should have been doing" during the time she texted...versus what Melanie "should have been doing" are two different timeframes. So when Melanie mentions "Friday morning"...the context in Colorado is 2 hours earlier. I think this is something the authorities must context when reviewing the communications between the two sisters.

No I don’t think he will take the stand. It is the prosecutors job to prove to a jury that he is guilty and his lawyers responsibility to ensure that he is represented and the judges job to preside over a fair trial. Barry doesn’t need to do anything.
No way in the world Barry takes the stand. There is no body. His lawyers are hoping to make the threshold of reasonable doubt higher than the law actually requires....."in the absence of physical evidence".

I'm a little late to the AA party but while I understand the concerns and all that, my biggest worry is that the defense and Barry are going to use this time to preempt concerns and any awakening the girls might have regarding Barry's actions and the evidence against him. There is no way that they're going to let those girls see that affidavit (in the guise of it just upsetting them, it's all lies anyway), at least not without time and opportunity to thoroughly read it themselves first, then pre-explaining and soft peddling what they are going to see later, because I guarantee you that the defense is most certainly going to use those girls as witnesses for BM.

I would bet a large amount of money that those girls have completely been gas lighted and will continue to be in the future, not only by Barry but also by his high powered attorneys whose specialty is in making men like BM seem like the victim and wrongly persecuted. They will have an explanation for every piece of damning evidence in that affidavit, I guarantee you that.

So that, not my own curiosity, is what upsets me about the delay in releasing the AA.

Did I mis-hear, or did he say he already had a job, and BM knew that, but he asked him anyway to head to Denver so he had to figure out a way to help him out? He did say that, right?

I'm sure that's what I heard but now I can't find the time stamp. Grr.

ETA: I found it and yep, that's what he said:

29:16 LS asks "so then on Sunday what time did you arrive at the hotel?"
JP responds and says he didn't get there until Sunday night, but then digresses and says that BM asked MG, to ask him to go down there and work, and then says that he was working for Jeff, and say he wonders why he'd ask him that since he already has a job.

I never really gave much credence to the idea that BM wanted JP there at the hotel, because they look alike at a distance, but now... I mean, maybe some of y'all were on to something?

Why did he specifically want JP there, when he knew JP already had a job?

Also interesting is that we were previously told that BM asked JP himself, on Saturday afternoon, to come work for him on the Broomfield job. But that's not what JP says in this interview. He did see him that afternoon, at the shop JP currently works at, but he said BM asked MG, to ask him to join the crew.

Anyway I think that's what I'm hearing him say. His accent is top shelf! :)
Barry hand picked his alibi props. One prop is a "meth head" and the other is a "convicted criminal who served time". He wanted two people whose credibility can be challenged in court, if necessary, on his behalf. Barry considers his word so superior to these two, if it ever came to that...that their part in his cover up supports his story, or so he thinks.

A valid point @IRBHTX Without seeing and reading the AA, it’s hard for me to say the judge is “not focusing on the heinous nature of the crime...” Maybe the AA contains some very heinous evidence.

How could the two daughters be “more victimized” than losing their own mother to murder? Maybe revealing the evidentiary details of the murder itself is more heinous than just the “knowing” the murder took place. That to me is what nightmares are made of. MOO
How do we know the girls accept or believe their mother was murdered?

I'm a little late to the AA party but while I understand the concerns and all that, my biggest worry is that the defense and Barry are going to use this time to preempt concerns and any awakening the girls might have regarding Barry's actions and the evidence against him. There is no way that they're going to let those girls see that affidavit (in the guise of it just upsetting them, it's all lies anyway), at least not without time and opportunity to thoroughly read it themselves first, then pre-explaining and soft peddling what they are going to see later, because I guarantee you that the defense is most certainly going to use those girls as witnesses for BM.

I would bet a large amount of money that those girls have completely been gas lighted and will continue to be in the future, not only by Barry but also by his high powered attorneys whose specialty is in making men like BM seem like the victim and wrongly persecuted. They will have an explanation for every piece of damning evidence in that affidavit, I guarantee you that.

So that, not my own curiosity, is what upsets me about the delay in releasing the AA.
But it's not really a delay. For others late to the AA party, I've been following Colorado cases for many years and I never expect to see the AA prior to the Preliminary Hearing. For this case -- the preliminary is currently scheduled for Aug 24, 2021. And this was before the amendment to Crim. P. Rule 55.1 (a), effective May 10, 2021. MOO

BM’s defense team will likely throw SM under the bus whether it’s a self denfense scenario or whatever. The AA is not what anyone should fear it’s the theatrics the defense team is going to offer that will be the true nightmare. IMO
The only way the defense can attempt to throw Suzanne under the bus is the facebook ruse where she was attempting to "friend" male friends of her brother. This one blows up in Barry's face as well. Who would kill her? The "prospective male friend" who police have surely vetted (all of them)....or Barry, who would be a jealous husband, enraged that his wife is seeking companionship? As a stretch....he could claim that he was triggered by some sort of temporary insanity after "discovering" she was looking around. Problem is....she was already dead...and other evidence would support that timeline. I have an entirely different take on the defense. I think Barry is doing what Barry always does...bites off more than he can chew. He cannot afford these two lawyers any more than he could afford that house. These two defense lawyers are going to burn his defense funds so fast....they will ultimately recuse themselves after he runs out of money. Then, after he is convicted....he can appeal based upon faulty defense.

Last edited:
Pandemic. Household cleaners were nearly impossible to find.

Let's hope he tried other stores first. Stores with cameras.

JMO
If bleach was detected at the Morphew home as well....whose to say they didn't have a couple of gallons of bleach on hand. After all, the distance to the nearest store suggests buying household necessities in volume.

Calling all Bobs with Cats:

Does this compute?

If someone used a Bobcat at a jobsite, attached an auger bit, and drove away with it, trailered, late at night on a Friday night, perhaps revving a diesel engine loud enough to garner a neighbor's attention....

And used that Bobcat overnight to dig deep holes....

And somehow broke a fitting or plate whilst drilling into Colorado bedrock....

And returned the partially disabled Bobcat to its original jobsite

Could another worker manage to rake a nice soft sandy beach area without noticing say a faultline on that Bobcat?

Could that person be constantly worried the damage would increase or be found out, pushing that person to insist on a soft job and, still worried, call it off?

Sending other worker home (giving her a ride home since he had picked her up) because he needed to return to the site to retrieve the Bobcat and bring it in for CYA repair?

I don't think Barry meant to break a Bobcat OR have a witness watch him repair it.

Loose End #1: MG

Loose End #2: JP.

Solution, send them to Broomfield. Wall repair not required. Staying away from Salida, required. For the first 48 hours.

Begs the question -- why'd he need CC sent away? What did CC see or know or not even realize he saw or knew? Barry bought two days of silence.... husssssssh money indeed....

In sum, Barry may have dug holes with intention Friday night.... for Part 1 of a really ugly plan....

Next day, no Bobcat. Just a shovel. Backfill by hand, plant a tree, arrange a couple basis rocks. Done.

Why was the Bobcat broken, Barry?

And WHERE IS YOUR WIFE?

All JMO
There ya go!!! 1000 likes! You “websleuthers” are more than likely filling in some big blanks.

I can’t be the only one who is noticing BM is getting a little tight on time for:
1) Work Sat a.m. w/MG
2) Saturday slaying
3) Chlorine Purchase
4) BobCat Repairs
5) Cleanup Murder Evidence
5) Alibi planning
7) Bike ride staging
8) Pretending to be SM on FB

BM was one busy guy! No wonder LE was on to him almost instantly, he’s bound to have made some huge, ginormous mistakes.

Now I’m wondering if it really happened on Friday night. :(
MOO

How do we know the girls accept or believe their mother was murdered?
Placement of the statue where the bike was recovered seems to me like a “memorial” of sorts. IIRC it was placed there by the girls & BM. It’s just not something I see being done unless they felt she wasn’t coming back. Also, this is the first I’ve heard of them doing something of this nature. MOO

Well if they have an explanation for each piece of evidence what is the case? I think there is zero reason for the Morphew girls to ever hear an opinion of someone that LE has interviewed but won’t be allowed at trial because it is hearsay. They are aware of much of the speculation that is already out there I would assume.

When I think of a husband/lover accused of murder "going after" his wife, I think of an effort to establish in the jury's mind that there is another intimate partner out there somewhere who maybe had motive and opportunity.

What could make it difficult for BM to "go after" SM in this or any other way is that during the extensive time he spent answering all LE's questions, neither the question of threats or a penchant for violence on her part, nor the issue of another intimate partner, came up. He was focused on alibi issues, not self defense or "other man" issues. Everything was perfect in their marriage according to his public statements.

If he wants to testify that it was self defense or another lover, his attorneys may resign...MOO
"everything perfect in their marriage" is based upon Barry writing the script about their marriage. Suzanne wouldn't have been allowed equal time to share her perspective.

Thanks for posting @Cindizzi.
Very disappointed. Again, protecting the daughters is mentioned and about giving them time, to read/process? There have been and are children in a lot of murder cases affected and again, can’t recall this being mentioned/considered in any of the previous Spousal/Partner murder cases I’ve followed. I’m thinking maybe, could be that the daughters provided witness testimony.

There must be lots of witness testimony that paints BM in a negative light and very damning for BM. Also, likely concerned about potential tainting of jury pool and ensuring BM receives a fair trial.

So we have to wait another 3 months,ugh.
Gonna be a long summer.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
The daughters can be compelled to testify. they aren't spouses....isn't that correct? They are material witnesses if Barry orchestrated their camping trip...and any subsequent communication between them and Barry. While they are victims, are they not also witnesses?

The daughters can be compelled to testify. they aren't spouses....isn't that correct? They are material witnesses if Barry orchestrated their camping trip...and any subsequent communication between them and Barry. While they are victims, are they not also witnesses?
Good points.
Great post !
It's also possible that the defense needs time to assist the daughters in what they should and should not say; if they're called to testify.
So since the defense has read the unredacted AA they know what's in it, and they were hired to do a job -- getting their client off the hook altogether or at least a lighter sentence.
Maybe the defense believes a jury could be swayed if they tell the daughters exactly what to say ?
Why else would they demand the wait for the AA's release ?

As far as the judge, his reasoning to withhold the AA could be purely desiring a fair and unprejudiced trial and nothing else.

Imo.

I think the judge is watching out for the girls and preventing people from influencing them. They are more than capable of processing a trial. What they don’t need is media interfering or well intentioned people trying to influence them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mamabear2024