Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pardon the interruption. I may need assistance in clarifying because this pertains to way back at the beginning. Not at all sleuthing the 400 tours gentleman soldier VFF. However, he's been mentioned in AM interviews and/or LS videos.

The 400 tours guy who had an older model Jeep was in Andy's search party. He's the one who broke away from the group without offering an explanation. I don't recall where he went.

Isn't he also the same guy BM moved in with initially when CCSD blocked the Morphew home almost immediately?

Is he the same fellow who stated Barry was pacing the floors peering out the windows? Someone posited via speculation a couple of weeks ago that perhaps he may be an Ace in the Hole for the DA.

When did Barry leave his buddy's place to move into the Poncha Springs condo?

The point of all of this is:
Did BM ever spend another night at PP home after reporting Suzanne missing? TIA
bbm
First bolded : I believe the person Barry moved in with, was his next door neighbor who is identified in the media only thread as the initials G.D. ?

Second bolded : No, afaik this was the Mayfield/Salida fire chief who was initially outspoken but later went silent after revealing that the family member who said Barry was on a fire training exercise was mistaken. In addition, Barry perpetuated this myth .

Third bolded : We don't know for certain. When the nephew of Barry was asked by a reporter who was living at the house at the time of Suzanne's disappearance, he couldn't say.
This is important as part of Barry's explanation to LE was that he last saw Suzanne at 5am that morning and thus implying that he was living there at the PP house, and not with someone else.

Imo.

Also, the less activity by Barry, and the more by others....in his mind, this is about "we" not "me"....blending in....strength in numbers, etc...In the Tyler tape...it was all about "we" and "our team"....Barry wants to project that he is just one of the players....not the player.
Small correction. I believe you mean “In the Tyson tape...” Tyson Draper. :)

Yes. In fact. The rules of evidence will allow ANY statement by Barry to Anyone to be admissible so long as the person to whom Barry spoke is there to testify. I’m expecting there to be an army of those kinds of witnesses.

As someone who has followed trials, I do not support this as a fact that any statements he made can be admissable, even if there are there to testify.

a la... the common question we are most familiar with is "what did you do after you talked to this person" is pretty much standard as what was said cannot be brought into the court. vs. asking what was said.

MOO.

"Tips" are not going to be in the AA (much less in court). I believe Spezze said they did 400 search warrants? We don't know how many formal interviews. I suspect that some of the search warrants turned up nothing.
RSBM
Actually, according to CCSO Press Release dated May 5, 2021 announcing BM’s arrest, investigators had executed more than 135 search warrants, conducted over 400 interviews in multiple states, and investigated more than 140o tips.

Snipped from link bellow and BBM:

More than 70 investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and dozens of local law enforcement agency partners have provided their expertise on this case, executed more than 135 search warrants across Colorado, and have interviewed more than 400 individuals in multiple states. The team has also investigated more than 1,400 tips generated from within and outside of law enforcement.”

Arrest made in Suzanne Morphew case - Chaffee County Sheriff

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Colorado is a one-party consent state so Barry does not have to be informed he’s being recorded. The only requirement is that the person recording has to be a participant in the conversation. I don’t think they have to inform him they’re police, they can lie like rugs to try to get him to talk. What they can’t do is pretend to be a lawyer and lead him to falsely believe he could speak freely under attorney-client privilege.

I am speaking of the 5th amendment of the US constitution (and the reason we have Miranda rights). A person's own words cannot be used against them except under specific circumstances. State recording rights have nothing to do with it.

If it is true that LE in CO can lie to possible criminal defendants and then use their words against them (play the recordings in court?) it will be a very interesting trial!

Surely they must have to inform him that they are police and what they are investigating? I've never heard of any rulings regarding. your last statement (about pretending to be a lawyer). Is this only in CO?

At any rate, there are US. Supreme Court cases that the defense could surely use if the police lied at any point about being police (although wearing a wire can be pre-approved by Courts).

https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/v...le.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1607&context=flr

(Pages 2-3 provide an overview of recent case law - many voluntary confessions have been deemed inadmissible, I just don't really get how the law is evolving...but it's clear that a confession obtained while the confessor was under "psychological duress" or "coercion" (which includes lying to the person by LE) have not been admissible. I'm sure the defense attorneys know this.

At the same time, many such confessions have been deemed admissible. I guess I'm just curious what constitutes "psychological duress." Old doctrines of "trustworthiness" of a voluntary confession, making them admissible, have been altered in the past 25 years (p. 3 in the document, numbered page 398).

To me, after reading the above chapter, it looks like anything Barry said during his 30 hours of questioning (per Barry) would be admissible unless a higher court rules that he was threatened with something (arrest) if he didn't cooperate. Appeals on this question are common, but the Supreme Court has ruled that if there was enough other evidence. (besides the defendant's words), that the reading out of the defendant's words did not invalidate the results of the trial.

I think the defense will try and fail to keep out Barry's words, but that this will become a basis for their appeal.

So 400 interviews (even better). Naturally, some of those produced little to nothing in the way of evidence. I'm sure they talked to every sandwich provider in Salida.

I wonder how many more tips they've gotten since the arrest. Thank you for the proper summary!

I am speaking of the 5th amendment of the US constitution (and the reason we have Miranda rights). A person's own words cannot be used against them except under specific circumstances. State recording rights have nothing to do with it. If it is true that LE in CO can lie to possible criminal defendants and then use their words against them (play the recordings in court?) it will be a very interesting trial! RSBM

IIRC, I believe this is well accepted in LE throughout the US that LE is allowed to lie/use deception. Many many many cases they do such I have followed. MOO as not link as I thought well accepted.

Are you questioning that CO has an exemption for such? I've MOO never heard that LE in CO are exempt from such, but perhaps others have links as to this ..what I thought was.. well accepted.

I would be interested to know just how much time LE actually questioned BM. We know it wasn't 30 hours. We also know that at some point he either lawyered up and stopped talking...or just stopped talking. A deputy alluded to his "lack of cooperation" in talking to Andy....but I am curious just how much or how little Barry participated in an interview. His interview responses are going to be a critical piece of prosecution evidence. If he lied to Andy, Lauren, etc...then he also had to lie to LE.

If he did lie to LE, then the Supreme Court's "trustworthiness" doctrine goes out the window. If LE lied to him, I'll bet many donuts that his lawyers will argue (on appeal) that this is a form of coercion, so I sure hope they didn't.

IIRC, I believe this is well accepted in LE throughout the US that LE is allowed to lie/use deception. Many many many cases they do such I have followed. MOO as not link as I thought well accepted.

Are you questioning that CO has an exemption for such? I've MOO never heard that LE in CO are exempt from such, but perhaps others have links as to this ..what I thought was.. well accepted.

Yes, I understand it's a tactic, but what I'm questioning is whether the actual spoken result can be used in Court. I'm not questioning CO's exemption, I'm questioning whether the procedure will fly on appeal. While statements obtained via deception can guide an investigation, can they (without verification for factuality from some other source) be used in Court?

Keep in mind that the Court just ruled in this very case that some of what's in the AA might not be admissible in Court, and I believe at least half of the AA is likely Barry's utterances. He can claim he was deceived, that he. was emotionally distraught, etc., etc. So really, I have two questions: Will the Court allow all of his statements in? And will the appeals process be super lengthy. and include this issue?

Using deception in an investigation is something that I've never heard LE testify to under oath. It's like polygraphs, voice analysis and a number of other techniques used in investigation - they can be used to figure out what happened, but that does not mean the Court will allow them. Indeed, there are cases where trial judges ruled that a defendant's children could not be compelled to testify against him, on the same basis as the spousal exclusion. Given that CO has that new Victims' law, it'll be interesting to see how the judge rules on that one, too. He strikes me as very concerned with victims' rights.

Also, I would wager (without much basis, I just like to gamble) that the Court may be very reluctant to allow defendant to self-incriminate based on a tactic of lying to the defendant (which, btw, I do not believe LE actually did during those first few days after Suzanne disappeared).

So 400 interviews (even better). Naturally, some of those produced little to nothing in the way of evidence. I'm sure they talked to every sandwich provider in Salida.

I wonder how many more tips they've gotten since the arrest. Thank you for the proper summary!
Yes, that reminds me that LE is still investigating. I wonder if BM's supporters will think back to their conversations and his actions. Some of the things he said and did may have a different meaning to them now.

I am going to preface this with MOO and IMO. It is also not a statement of judgement or disparaging SM's character. I think she was the epitome of kind, compassionate and empathetic.

The text that MM received from SM on Friday was alarming but not in a way of SM's life being threatened? She was not afraid (according to MM), she did not fear for her life or she would have done something. She said it was lengthy, transparent, honest, revealing... MM's response was "I need to pray about this". Why would she delete it? Why would she be so concerned about it getting into the wrong hands? She didn't speak to BM. Really think about that.

To me, maybe SM had met someone that she had interest in. Her marraige had eroded so vastly and her health had just begun to turn around. Maybe she finally believed she deserved better. I believe she deserved to have someone that cherished her. To me, this explains so much about the text. No cause for immediate alarm, giving it strong consideration by her big sister, deleting it as to ensure nobody else sees it. Rage by BM after uncovering something that threatened him, the girls not really speaking out, the Motion by the Judge claiming the girls are victims. I am not saying there was infidelity on her part. The interview certainly spells out there was on BM's part. However, maybe she met someone that she had interest in...

Again, please don't shoot the messenger. It's simply an opinion based on all of the pieces of the puzzle. Much of this case makes no sense, this would explain many of those things. One of many possible scenarios.

It certainly seems more than likely on BM's part but I had never considered the other side as well.

79:48
was sensing
79:50
before all of this even occurred yes
79:54
i'd be happy to chris um
79:59
it was friday
80:03
may the 8th um suzanne
80:06
that morning had sent me a very lengthy
80:08
text
80:10
i won't go into the content that is um
80:12
given
80:13
over to the authorities but i can give
80:15
you a general sense
80:17
of um the text and and what it said to
80:20
me
80:21
uh it was a very lengthy text you know
80:23
when it comes in those chunks and it
80:25
just keeps rolling
80:26
and it was significant i
80:29
uh it was it kind of came as a surprise
80:32
um because there was nothing of our
80:35
conversations that led up to this so it
80:37
was just
kind of like boom and uh i read the text
80:41
that morning
80:42
and i was um
80:46
i wasn't shocked i've always known i
80:48
mean suzanne and i
80:50
let's let's just say this
80:54
let's say it this way i'll use my
80:56
mother's words
80:59
my mother used to say over the many
81:02
years
she'd say i'd never believe i'd have
81:06
two daughters who would marry men who
81:08
were so much alike
81:10
i'll just leave it at that okay so
81:13
suzanne and i
81:14
had a a journeys together
81:17
we had intuitive journeys we had
81:20
unspoken journeys
81:23
um we identified a lot
81:26
we identified a lot that morning i got
81:30
this
text and
81:33
[Music]
81:36
i was i was not surprised because i felt
81:40
the secrecy the the quietness the
81:42
isolation i could see these things
81:45
developing and i knew that suzanne was
81:48
doing her work in eleanor
81:49
she continued and and she she had told
81:53
a friend of ours that it was the best
81:55
decision she ever made and she was so
81:57
glad i had
81:58
encouraged her to do that you know it
82:00
was good work
82:01
good work for her yeah definitely um
82:05
so that that i'm i'm so grateful for um
82:09
but that morning that text was was so
82:12
transparent
82:13
it was raw uh there was there
82:16
was not a cry for help there was no uh
82:19
i'm in danger there was none of that
82:21
you know i would have immediately gone
82:24
into action
82:25
but it was it was a very transparent
82:28
text
which told me and and has told the
82:31
authorities her state of mind
82:33
that morning it's very clear uh it's a
82:37
powerful text
82:38
and it was so powerful at the time
82:41
that this was going to sound funny but
82:45
i have accidentally in the past
82:47
forwarded the wrong text to the wrong
82:48
person have you ever done that
82:50
thinking you're forwarding this to that
82:52
person and it goes to the wrong person
82:55
you should see me drive we are okay okay
82:58
so
so that was the one of the first things
83:00
i thought of i thought
83:02
oh i i can't leave this on my phone
83:06
i could accidentally text that to the
83:09
wrong person
83:10
and i don't want that to fall in the
83:11
wrong hands so it went into my heart
83:14
and i decided i would delete that text
83:17
and but
83:18
before i did i had texted her
83:20
immediately back
83:21
and i had said to her i need to pray
83:23
about this because i want to respond
83:25
correctly
83:26
it wasn't going to be shoot from the hip
83:28
big sister it was going to be
83:30
you need some real wisdom here you know
83:33
on how to
83:34
help her navigate and like i said it
83:37
wasn't wasn't she wasn't in danger
83:40
that would have been easy to do but i
83:42
wanted to be thoughtful in my
83:44
response to her and and respectful of
83:47
who she is
83:49
so um she's she said i'll read you the
83:53
last text she sent me because i still
83:54
have it on my phone
83:56
her response back to me just a minute i
83:58
want to say it exactly i don't
84:00
i don't want to what time did the text
84:04
come in that morning if you remember
84:07
just a minute i'll tell you because i've
84:08
got the um
84:10
her response um
84:14
i responded to her at 11 35 a.m
84:17
that was tennessee time and uh
84:20
it came she immediately came back um
84:24
i told her i said i'm going to pray
84:25
before responding further i care
84:28
and she responded immediately within one
84:31
minute she said i appreciate your love
84:33
and transparency always and that was the
84:36
last thing
84:37
my sister ever said to me
84:40
and i keep that text i cherish that text
84:43
from her
84:44
and i texted her one day at a time i
84:47
said one day at a time
84:49
so that was that was the only thing i
84:52
responded to her at that moment
84:53
and i i really didn't have a response
84:57
for her
84:58
um and it is my it is my belief as her
85:01
sister
85:02
uh saturday was a very hard day for me
85:06
uh that night when i went to bed i had
85:09
an unbelievable grief that came over me
85:12
and i did and i didn't know why i i did
85:15
not
85:16
know why and my my devotion for that day
85:20
was from the book of job uh which i read
85:24
that night and it says the lord the lord
85:27
giveth and the lord taketh blessed be
85:29
the name of the lord
85:31
and it was all all about learning to
85:34
praise god when things are not the way
85:36
we want
85:37
you know not just when we get it the way
85:39
we want it but
85:41
sometimes we learn to we learn to thank
85:43
god and be grateful when we don't get
85:44
what we want
85:46
and and it was um that night was very
85:48
difficult and
85:49
another friend of hers had a similar
85:51
experience on saturday night
85:53
and it is my belief that my sister went
85:56
on to be with the lord on saturday night
85:58
and um that's that's what i feel in my
86:02
heart
and saturday night or friday night
86:06
well i believe
86:10
saturday but
86:13
we'll wait to see we'll wait to see
86:16
we'll wait to see
all right we intuitively

Linked to MM interview.

Last edited:
I am going to preface this with MOO and IMO. It is also not a statement of judgement or disparaging SM's character. I think she was the epitome of kind, compassionate and empathetic.

The text that MM received from SM on Friday was alarming but not in a way of SM's life being threatened? She was not afraid (according to MM), she did not fear for her life or she would have done something. She said it was lengthy, transparent, honest, revealing... MM's response was "I need to pray about this". Why would she delete it? Why would she be so concerned about it getting into the wrong hands? She didn't speak to BM. Really think about that.

To me, maybe SM had met someone that she had interest in. Her marraige had eroded so vastly and her health had just begun to turn around. Maybe she finally believed she deserved better. I believe she deserved to have someone that cherished her. To me, this explains so much about the text. No cause for immediate alarm, giving it strong consideration by her big sister, deleting it as to ensure nobody else sees it. Rage by BM after uncovering something that threatened him, the girls not really speaking out, the Motion by the Judge claiming the girls are victims. I am not saying there was infidelity on her part. The interview certainly spells out there was on BM's part. However, maybe she met someone that she had interest in...

Again, please don't shoot the messenger. It's simply an opinion based on all of the pieces of the puzzle. Much of this case makes no sense, this would explain many of those things. One of many possible scenarios.

It certainly seems more than likely on BM's part but I had never considered the other side as well.

was sensing
i'd be happy to chris um
it was friday
may the 8th um suzanne
text
given
you a general sense
me
just keeps rolling
and it was significant i
was just
that morning
and i was um
mean suzanne and i
mother's words
years
were so much alike
suzanne and i
unspoken journeys
um we identified a lot
this
text and
[Music]
glad i had
was good work
transparent
into action
text
powerful text
so
i thought of i thought
wrong person
and but
immediately back
correctly
on how to
who she is
have it on my phone
got the um
her response um
last thing
from her
said one day at a time
for her
sister
not
the name of the lord
we want
we want it but
what we want
difficult and
heart
well i believe
saturday but
we'll wait to see
all right we intuitively

Linked to MM interview.
I tend to tilt this way and have thought for a long time she was contemplating leaving the marriage. The move may have been wishful thinking that it would be a reset on their marriage. It would not surprise me if Barry was a controlling spouse…we have all I assume have known people with friends where either the wife or the husband was dominant and could be characterized as controlling. That does not necessarily rise to the level of abuse as some people are content with that dynamic but could find one spouse contemplating divorce especially as they get older and more self aware. I think some of this background will be exposed during the trial. It also explains why people close to them characterized their marriage as loving. You can love someone and still wonder if there is a “better life” out there. It makes it all the more shocking that murder entered the picture and I have to assume people close them are grappling with this reality. I am still wondering about murder vs manslaughter but will have to wait for the evidence and the reality that the trial may not answer all the unanswered questions.

was sensing
i'd be happy to chris um
it was friday
may the 8th um suzanne
text
given
you a general sense
me
just keeps rolling
and it was significant i
was just
that morning
and i was um
mean suzanne and i
mother's words
years
were so much alike
suzanne and i
unspoken journeys
um we identified a lot
this
text and
[Music]
glad i had
was good work
transparent
into action
text
powerful text
so
i thought of i thought
wrong person
and but
immediately back
correctly
on how to
who she is
have it on my phone
got the um
her response um
last thing
from her
said one day at a time
for her
sister
not
the name of the lord
we want
we want it but
what we want
difficult and
heart
well i believe
saturday but
we'll wait to see
all right we intuitively

Linked to MM interview.
I have always thought the motive for Suzanne's murder had more to do with possessiveness or jealousy rather than financial greed. Although I do believe Suzanne had tried everything to save her marriage, I think she was beginning to see Barry for who he really was.

She may have texted something like, 'all these years I have been married to this man while I could had someone who appreciated me for what I am.' After all, Barry was her first and only love and that was all she knew.

It's certainly possible that she was ready to explore other options. I can just imagine the rage Barry would feel if he had been looking at her messages.

I have always thought the motive for Suzanne's murder had more to do with possessiveness or jealousy rather than financial greed. Although I do believe Suzanne had tried everything to save her marriage, I think she was beginning to see Barry for who he really was.

She may have texted something like, 'all these years I have been married to this man while I could had someone who appreciated me for what I am.'

It's certainly possible that she was ready to explore other options. I can just imagine the rage Barry would feel if he had been looking at her messages.

Exactly how I came to my last post. A text you feel compelled to delete but that expresses no danger or concern? It revealed something. Even if someone was interested in her and it was not reciprocated. She just had a taste of what concern and love felt like. The juxtaposition to her marriage helped her see a way out.

Sadly, as MM said; she didn't make it out alive.:(

was sensing
i'd be happy to chris um
it was friday
may the 8th um suzanne
text
given
you a general sense
me
just keeps rolling
and it was significant i
was just
that morning
and i was um
mean suzanne and i
mother's words
years
were so much alike
suzanne and i
unspoken journeys
um we identified a lot
this
text and
[Music]
glad i had
was good work
transparent
into action
text
powerful text
so
i thought of i thought
wrong person
and but
immediately back
correctly
on how to
who she is
have it on my phone
got the um
her response um
last thing
from her
said one day at a time
for her
sister
not
the name of the lord
we want
we want it but
what we want
difficult and
heart
well i believe
saturday but
we'll wait to see
all right we intuitively

Linked to MM interview.

I would be delighted to hear that Suzanne had someone else who genuinely loved her for who she was and she had hopes of happiness in another relationship.

I personally think her conversation was just about leaving Barry and she asked her sister a question her sister needed to think carefully about before answering. Perhaps,given her own problems with her husband,Melinda was used to being extra cautious in deleting messages. She might have worried about accidentally sending it to friends who also knew Barry.

(Snipped for focus)

Linked to MM interview.

Thank you for transcribing it. For me, the core of what Melinda discloses is the "two husbands who were so much alike." Doesn't she also say, "I got out, but Suzanne didn't"? And Suzanne was at AA to try and learn to cope with her issues with Gene (was he similarly abusive? while drinking, perhaps?)

I think Barry (and Melinda's husband) were controlling and occasionally abusive. We can see the outlines of financial and emotional abuse from Barry, but I believe there was also physical abuse. Suzanne knew that, of all her family, Melinda would understand. Melinda still does the "God will make it better" kind of response and is trying to use Job to cope with her own grief and sense of helplessness, which must be awful.

Barry wasn't physically abusive on the daily and that by praying and by invoking the techniques of Al-Anon (in regard to Barry, not because of alcohol but because of abuse issues)...just seemed like the prudent path. Leaving a marriage is a very big deal in the Christian community. Whatever Suzanne told Melinda, I believe it will help establish DV, which then escalated when Barry found out Suzanne had "squealed" to Melinda (which he didn't see coming, because they didn't communicate on an intimate level much, according to Melinda).

Melinda must have been shocked and alarmed. Her intuition was telling her that things were much, much worse than Suzanne was indicating (as is common when women first reach out about abuse - she might not have detailed bruises or other evidence of a physical injury).

I do think that this was the trigger that led to the murder.

Something happened, Suzanne texted, Barry found out about the text, situation escalated, Suzanne (who had already been bullied and perhaps physically threatened by Barry before Friday morning) ended up being harmed physically in a manner that could not be hidden from the rest of the family.

If this did indeed happen, both Barry and Suzanne were in a lot of emotional turmoil. Melinda's response on Friday morning shows that the prior events transferred some of that turmoil to her - but it hadn't peaked yet.

This is indeed the moment when women are most vulnerable to femicide. That moment when emotions are high, the reason for leaving is obvious, and the abandoned spouse is terrified of legal and financial repercussions (not to mention loss of his good image with children and loss of control over the other spouse).

I don't think there was another man.

I do think that Suzanne had visible marks on her body - and there were only two paths forward from that moment. One was to come clean with the daughters, admit Dad had a tremendous problem and then state what was to be done about it. So, they could have sought out a counselor (I bet Suzanne had already done that several times, pastors, groups, etc). Now Barry would have to be the focus of that (and there is obvious a lot of super dark thoughts Barry is having that he doesn't want to share with anyone and which he fears will be discovered, along with affairs, etc)

The option Barry chose was a gamble, but he felt confident because he usually "won" in any dispute within his family. He had carefully crafted an image to cover the darkness and Suzanne had helped him do that. He didn't calculate all the ways in which her disappearance would ruin both his façade and his entire life.

I don't think this murder was planned for very long. I think he had merely thought about it (probably repeatedly) over the years, that his. thoughts often went in the direction of "If only I wasn't married," "If only I wasn't married to Suzanne." But it became imperative because otherwise he might face DV charges, terrible damage to his reputation as a result, his daughters finding out, both families finding out, etc.

He will never convince me (or most jurors) that he thought there was an affair going on, because while he left that avenue open for speculation in his staging, his words and the staging pointed to "mountain lion" or "stranger abduction." No one runs off with their secret lover while they're on a bike ride.

Exactly how I came to my last post. A text you feel compelled to delete but that expresses no danger or concern? It revealed something. Even if someone was interested in her and it was not reciprocated. She just had a taste of what concern and love felt like. The juxtaposition to her marriage helped her see a way out.

Sadly, as MM said; she didn't make it out alive.:(
Yes. I had just added to my post that Barry was her first and only love, (probably while you were quoting my post) but I think that might have a lot to do with why she stayed in the marriage so long. She was only a child when she met him, not even in high school. She never got the opportunity to explore what else was out there.

No way was Barry ever going to give her that opportunity.

IMO

I would be interested to know just how much time LE actually questioned BM. We know it wasn't 30 hours. We also know that at some point he either lawyered up and stopped talking...or just stopped talking. A deputy alluded to his "lack of cooperation" in talking to Andy....but I am curious just how much or how little Barry participated in an interview. His interview responses are going to be a critical piece of prosecution evidence. If he lied to Andy, Lauren, etc...then he also had to lie to LE.
I believe that initially BM was very cooperative with LE. By that I mean he talked with them willingly, not necessarily truthfully. He told them his story and fully expected to be believed at face value. As the week went on, I believe he became increasingly frustrated that LE was not buying his story or any of the possible scenarios that he threw out. He became extremely critical of the way LE was handling everything, but never saw the irony in the fact that he hadn’t made a single public appeal for his missing wife.
By weeks end he was becoming more shut down, more uncooperative. This is what led to Sheriff Spezze’s statement that BM had been cooperating and that he hoped he continued to do so. MOO

I would be delighted to hear that Suzanne had someone else who genuinely loved her for who she was and she had hopes of happiness in another relationship.

I personally think her conversation was just about leaving Barry and she asked her sister a question her sister needed to think carefully about before answering. Perhaps,given her own problems with her husband,Melinda was used to being extra cautious in deleting messages. She might have worried about accidentally sending it to friends who also knew Barry.
I've wondered if SM texted her sister about leaving Barry over his infidelities and she was going to be honest with her girls about why. That would cast him in a different light to his girls. Maybe she was tired of it and wanted the truth of it out there. MOO.

bbm
First bolded : I believe the person Barry moved in with, was his next door neighbor who is identified in the media only thread as the initials G.D. ?

Second bolded : No, afaik this was the Mayfield/Salida fire chief who was initially outspoken but later went silent after revealing that the family member who said Barry was on a fire training exercise was mistaken. In addition, Barry perpetuated this myth .

Third bolded : We don't know for certain. When the nephew of Barry was asked by a reporter who was living at the house at the time of Suzanne's disappearance, he couldn't say.
This is important as part of Barry's explanation to LE was that he last saw Suzanne at 5am that morning and thus implying that he was living there at the PP house, and not with someone else.

Imo.
I don’t think BM moved in with GD immediately. According to AM, BM was staying with one neighbor and AM was staying with another in the first days after SM disappeared. AM said he was in the house across from BM’s on Puma Path and that BM was across the river. I believe this house is JR’s, the neighbor who called 911.
GD lives several miles away. I think BM moved there after it became apparent that his home was not going to be released back to him immediately. MOO

Thank you for transcribing it. For me, the core of what Melinda discloses is the "two husbands who were so much alike." Doesn't she also say, "I got out, but Suzanne didn't"? And Suzanne was at AA to try and learn to cope with her issues with Gene (was he similarly abusive? while drinking, perhaps?)

I think Barry (and Melinda's husband) were controlling and occasionally abusive. We can see the outlines of financial and emotional abuse from Barry, but I believe there was also physical abuse. Suzanne knew that, of all her family, Melinda would understand. Melinda still does the "God will make it better" kind of response and is trying to use Job to cope with her own grief and sense of helplessness, which must be awful.

Barry wasn't physically abusive on the daily and that by praying and by invoking the techniques of Al-Anon (in regard to Barry, not because of alcohol but because of abuse issues)...just seemed like the prudent path. Leaving a marriage is a very big deal in the Christian community. Whatever Suzanne told Melinda, I believe it will help establish DV, which then escalated when Barry found out Suzanne had "squealed" to Melinda (which he didn't see coming, because they didn't communicate on an intimate level much, according to Melinda).

Melinda must have been shocked and alarmed. Her intuition was telling her that things were much, much worse than Suzanne was indicating (as is common when women first reach out about abuse - she might not have detailed bruises or other evidence of a physical injury).

I do think that this was the trigger that led to the murder.

Something happened, Suzanne texted, Barry found out about the text, situation escalated, Suzanne (who had already been bullied and perhaps physically threatened by Barry before Friday morning) ended up being harmed physically in a manner that could not be hidden from the rest of the family.

If this did indeed happen, both Barry and Suzanne were in a lot of emotional turmoil. Melinda's response on Friday morning shows that the prior events transferred some of that turmoil to her - but it hadn't peaked yet.

This is indeed the moment when women are most vulnerable to femicide. That moment when emotions are high, the reason for leaving is obvious, and the abandoned spouse is terrified of legal and financial repercussions (not to mention loss of his good image with children and loss of control over the other spouse).

I don't think there was another man.

I do think that Suzanne had visible marks on her body - and there were only two paths forward from that moment. One was to come clean with the daughters, admit Dad had a tremendous problem and then state what was to be done about it. So, they could have sought out a counselor (I bet Suzanne had already done that several times, pastors, groups, etc). Now Barry would have to be the focus of that (and there is obvious a lot of super dark thoughts Barry is having that he doesn't want to share with anyone and which he fears will be discovered, along with affairs, etc)

The option Barry chose was a gamble, but he felt confident because he usually "won" in any dispute within his family. He had carefully crafted an image to cover the darkness and Suzanne had helped him do that. He didn't calculate all the ways in which her disappearance would ruin both his façade and his entire life.

I don't think this murder was planned for very long. I think he had merely thought about it (probably repeatedly) over the years, that his. thoughts often went in the direction of "If only I wasn't married," "If only I wasn't married to Suzanne." But it became imperative because otherwise he might face DV charges, terrible damage to his reputation as a result, his daughters finding out, both families finding out, etc.

He will never convince me (or most jurors) that he thought there was an affair going on, because while he left that avenue open for speculation in his staging, his words and the staging pointed to "mountain lion" or "stranger abduction." No one runs off with their secret lover while they're on a bike ride.

She was attending Al-anon meetings to help her deal with her father's alcoholism, yes. I've never read or heard anywhere he was abusive. I know that MM revealed he was absent and essentially "never around" but i've never heard abusive.

This is also where MM makes the correlation which I found very insightful:

SM mistook control for love. When you come from a background of not feeling cared for, this behavior feels like love. The article is behind a paywall but here is a synopsis by a subscriber.

.....As Suzanne grew in grace she became less rigid but she still had a strong feeling that a man should be the head of the home, Melinda said. Women like myself and Suzanne mistake control for love. It felt safe to us after having had no one at the helm at home. We think a man in charge is security and end up with dominant, controlling guys. We give up our own identity and trust and do it their way.......

Link if you are a paid subscriber.
Suzanne Morphew's older sister shares her story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members