Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SM Struggling w Pain, BM Helping???
But she wasn't struggling with pain,...[summ'ed by me: listing of her activities]. None of that sounds like a person in that much pain, to me....I find the entire premise completely unbelievable.... She was looking forward to Mother's Day with her daughters, IMO.
@10ofRods bbm sbm Thx for your response. Yes, agreeing w you. Someone else had posted - maybe BM used SM's pain as an excuse to help SM end her life.
My earlier post was intended to convey if she struggled w pain and if he had "helped" that his actions would be based on flawed "logic" from a religious & legal pt of view, and that many of his other actions after SM's disappearance undermined the "helping" premise. my2ct
And your point :)about SM having reached a maintenance phase highlights it further.

SM Struggling w Pain, BM Helping???
@10ofRods bbm sbm Thx for your response. Yes, agreeing w you. Someone else had posted - maybe BM used SM's pain as an excuse to help SM end her life.
My earlier post was intended to convey if she struggled w pain and if he had "helped" that his actions would be based on flawed "logic" from a religious & legal pt of view, and that many of his other actions after SM's disappearance undermined the "helping" premise. my2ct
And your point :)about SM having reached a maintenance phase highlights it further.

Yep - I can't think of a single excuse for Barry, if Suzanne is deceased.

The law comes down on the side of "no." It is public information and in the public interest to release it and can be redacted as needed by agreement of both sides. While the defense may hate it being released & fight it as prejudicial, that interest is not going to stand if the law is applied correctly, which the judge should have done in the first place. There is a strong precedent the CO law depends on: light is better than darkness in an open society, no matter the consequences (which really are not predictable anyway). Right now, darkness protects the defense and their client to an extreme degree. Let there be light. As the response notes, CO criminal courts have a history of denying the public case information. Rule 55.1 was enacted to remedy that. The judge withholding the AA & saying the defendant's right to a fair trial is jeopardized by the public's right to know was ridiculous. JMHO

BBM. I respectfully disagree. The argument of the Media would make the presumption of openness absolute, upending another strong (and Constitutional - therefore legally superior) legal principle - the right to a fair trial.

The rule is not, in fact, absolute: it provides that the judge has discretion to withhold the AA for a time he may specify if he makes certain findings, viz.:

Rule 55.1 (6) When Request Granted. The court shall not grant any request to limit public access to a court record or to any part of a court record, or enter an order on its own motion limiting such public access, unless it issues a written order in which it:

(I) specifically identifies one or more substantial interests served by making the court record inaccessible to the public or by allowing only a redacted copy of it to be accessible to the public;

(II) finds that no less restrictive means than making the record inaccessible to the public or allowing only a redacted copy of it to be accessible to the public exists to achieve or protect any substantial interests identified; and

(III) concludes that any substantial interests identified override the presumptive public access to the court record or to an un-redacted copy of it.

The court made the three required findings. We may disagree, but his findings and conclusion are not ridiculous. In fact, the Judge's decision will be upheld unless the appellate court finds that he abused it, if past precedent is followed.

The press has always sought to undemine the right to a fair process, in favor of mob rule led by wealthy publishers, IMO. "The public's right to know" is just a smokescreen.

Each of the "less restrictive means" offered by the press runs afoul of substantial legal issues.

Delaying the trial conflicts with the defendant's right to a speedy trial - within six months of a plea of not guilty. It also may undermine the prosecution's case, as witnesses memories fade and witnesses themselves die or disappear.

Moving the trial elsewhere puts a double burden on the citizens of Chaffee County. It deprives them of an opportunity to judge the guilt or innocence of a community member accused of murdering another community member. It also imposes additional costs on a county whose LE is not flush with money. Finally, in this case, there is no jurisdiction in Colorado where the media is not following this case - where would they move the venue?

I will debate each and every other argument by the Media here, but I am not a lawyer and I am sure the defense team will make much better legal arguments.

Held up against the press's right to make money by publishing a salacious and gruesome story which may or may not prove true in all respects, I come down in favor of Judge Murphy's narrowly tailored order, which relies mostly on protecting the right to a fair process - a substantial interest if I ever saw one.

I look forward to seeing a carefully redacted arrest affidavit when the order restricting access expires. Respecting the rights of the accused that I would want myself if I were wrongfully arrested, I can wait.

So what happens now? Is the court required to respond? Is there a timeframe? A hearing?
Rule 55.1 (5) seems to say it's up to the judge to say whether he wants a hearing on the motion:

Hearing. The court may conduct a hearing on a motion to limit public access to a court record or to any part of a court record. Notice of the hearing shall be provided to the parties and the public via the publicly available Register of Actions. The court may close the hearing or part of the hearing if it finds that doing so is necessary to prevent the public from accessing the information that is the subject of the motion under consideration. If the court closes the hearing or part of the hearing, it shall enter appropriate protective orders regarding the transcript or recording of the proceeding and any evidence introduced during the hearing. Any such orders shall be modified or vacated if the court ultimately denies, in whole or in part, the request to limit public access.

BBM. That said, he ruled on the written arguments before. Unless the Media has raised new arguments the defense has not had a chance to address, and they request a hearing to debate those arguments, I expect he will rule without a hearing.

Rule 55.1 (5) seems to say it's up to the judge to say whether he wants a hearing on the motion:

Hearing. The court may conduct a hearing on a motion to limit public access to a court record or to any part of a court record. Notice of the hearing shall be provided to the parties and the public via the publicly available Register of Actions. The court may close the hearing or part of the hearing if it finds that doing so is necessary to prevent the public from accessing the information that is the subject of the motion under consideration. If the court closes the hearing or part of the hearing, it shall enter appropriate protective orders regarding the transcript or recording of the proceeding and any evidence introduced during the hearing. Any such orders shall be modified or vacated if the court ultimately denies, in whole or in part, the request to limit public access.

BBM. That said, he ruled on the written arguments before. Unless the Media has raised new arguments the defense has not had a chance to address, and they request a hearing to debate those arguments, I expect he will rule without a hearing.

I won't be surprised if the judge rules without a hearing. I think he anticipated the media request and will deny it. And I think the media made the request and won't be surprised if it is denied ... but to them it was worth a try.

I won't be surprised if the judge rules without a hearing. I think he anticipated the media request and will deny it. And I think the media made the request and won't be surprised if it is denied ... but to them it was worth a try.

This ^ 100%. I think it's a few months before the public has access to this.
But I'd certainly be glad to be proven wrong and it be released sooner.

If the judge denies it with or without a hearing, it will be appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court, which the response notes several times has ruled in favor of media access after denial on the same grounds which the judge is using for denial here.

I believe the AA will be released soon. If it has to be appealed this judge could find himself off the case, in my opinion.

No way is the CO Supreme Court going to rule to keep it sealed. The judge has erred. He has bought time for the defense in doing so. And that is a problem, as well. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
If the judge denies it with or without a hearing, it will be appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court, which the response notes several times has ruled in favor of media access after denial on the same grounds which the judge is using for denial here.

I believe the AA will be released soon. If it has to be appealed this judge could find himself off the case, in my opinion.

No way is the CO Supreme Court going to ruled to keep it sealed. The judge has erred. He has bought time for the defense in doing so. And that is a problem, as well. IMHO
Agree. I read the ruling and thought it read as though the judge was personally angry at the prosecution.
In the future long AAs will be the norm due to digital, video, and location evidence.

No way is the CO Supreme Court going to ruled to keep it sealed. The judge has erred. He has bought time for the defense in doing so. And that is a problem, as well. IMHO

How long did the Supreme Court ruled release of the redacted AA in the Gannon Stauch case take? Just wondering how long it took for the trial judge to rule, then the Supreme Court to rule.
(Another ETA: I see it was the district court judge who unsealed it, not the Supreme Court, after the leak .. which means I can't compare.)

Also, how heavily redacted was the AA in the Gannon Stauch case? I read the ruling in that case but I can't determine how extensive the redactions were.

If anyone knows, of course ... I didn't follow that case.

ETA: I also see that the AA in that case was leaked on social media prior to the court ruling. I wonder if that made any difference in the court's decision.

The arrest affidavit, which had been sealed, was leaked Thursday night and posted on Facebook, Reddit and other social media sites. On Friday, the affidavit was unsealed by El Paso County District Court Judge Gregory R. Werner.
Gannon Stauch case: Leaked arrest affidavit outlines case against stepmother

Last edited:
I am ok waiting. By the time the judge rules and even if the prosecution and defense remove all the inadmissible stuff or not relevant info and all the names we will be close to the preliminary. I think there is a fine line between knowing every little detail and knowing the elements that will make up the case. I feel differently if someone is bound over for trial…at that point I am more open minded about information. Right now Barry has not been bound over for trial.

BBM. I respectfully disagree. The argument of the Media would make the presumption of openness absolute, upending another strong (and Constitutional - therefore legally superior) legal principle - the right to a fair trial.

The rule is not, in fact, absolute: it provides that the judge has discretion to withhold the AA for a time he may specify if he makes certain findings, viz.:

Rule 55.1 (6) When Request Granted. The court shall not grant any request to limit public access to a court record or to any part of a court record, or enter an order on its own motion limiting such public access, unless it issues a written order in which it:

(I) specifically identifies one or more substantial interests served by making the court record inaccessible to the public or by allowing only a redacted copy of it to be accessible to the public;

(II) finds that no less restrictive means than making the record inaccessible to the public or allowing only a redacted copy of it to be accessible to the public exists to achieve or protect any substantial interests identified; and

(III) concludes that any substantial interests identified override the presumptive public access to the court record or to an un-redacted copy of it.

The court made the three required findings. We may disagree, but his findings and conclusion are not ridiculous. In fact, the Judge's decision will be upheld unless the appellate court finds that he abused it, if past precedent is followed.

The press has always sought to undemine the right to a fair process, in favor of mob rule led by wealthy publishers, IMO. "The public's right to know" is just a smokescreen.

Each of the "less restrictive means" offered by the press runs afoul of substantial legal issues.

Delaying the trial conflicts with the defendant's right to a speedy trial - within six months of a plea of not guilty. It also may undermine the prosecution's case, as witnesses memories fade and witnesses themselves die or disappear.

Moving the trial elsewhere puts a double burden on the citizens of Chaffee County. It deprives them of an opportunity to judge the guilt or innocence of a community member accused of murdering another community member. It also imposes additional costs on a county whose LE is not flush with money. Finally, in this case, there is no jurisdiction in Colorado where the media is not following this case - where would they move the venue?

I will debate each and every other argument by the Media here, but I am not a lawyer and I am sure the defense team will make much better legal arguments.

Held up against the press's right to make money by publishing a salacious and gruesome story which may or may not prove true in all respects, I come down in favor of Judge Murphy's narrowly tailored order, which relies mostly on protecting the right to a fair process - a substantial interest if I ever saw one.

I look forward to seeing a carefully redacted arrest affidavit when the order restricting access expires. Respecting the rights of the accused that I would want myself if I were wrongfully arrested, I can wait.
BBM

I agree with some of the rest of your post, but this seems pretty extreme. There are very good reasons for having a presumption that AA's will be publicly released, and due process is one of those reasons. It's a good thing, IMO, that we don't generally allow the government to arrest people, hold them for a lengthy period of time, and keep the reasons for that arrest secret. It's true that there are fewer due process concerns with sealing an AA when it's the defense that wants it sealed. But even then, a presumption of disclosing the AA helps prevent corruption and the appearance of corruption. So I think it's a healthy thing that the judge has to outline his reasons for sealing, the media gets to pushback and appeal, etc.

I don't personally find the sealing too unreasonable or concerning in this case given the extremely abnormal length of the AA and the fact that we'll almost certainly get a preliminary hearing where the prosecution's case is outlined for the public relatively soon. But I also wouldn't find it concerning if the judge's ruling was reversed on appeal and we got to see a redacted version of the AA.

No way is the CO Supreme Court going to rule to keep it sealed. The judge has erred. He has bought time for the defense in doing so. And that is a problem, as well. IMHO
Judges don't get removed from cases because a higher court reverses a ruling on a preliminary motion. That happens all the time.

How long did the Supreme Court ruled release of the redacted AA in the Gannon Stauch case take? Just wondering how long it took for the trial judge to rule, then the Supreme Court to rule.
(Another ETA: I see it was the district court judge who unsealed it, not the Supreme Court, after the leak .. which means I can't compare.)

Also, how heavily redacted was the AA in the Gannon Stauch case? I read the ruling in that case but I can't determine how extensive the redactions were.

If anyone knows, of course ... I didn't follow that case.

ETA: I also see that the AA in that case was leaked on social media prior to the court ruling. I wonder if that made any difference in the court's decision.

The arrest affidavit, which had been sealed, was leaked Thursday night and posted on Facebook, Reddit and other social media sites. On Friday, the affidavit was unsealed by El Paso County District Court Judge Gregory R. Werner.
Gannon Stauch case: Leaked arrest affidavit outlines case against stepmother
Re: Stauch -The media did not have to appeal. The district court judge had set a date for release then it was leaked to the media a week before that date. The judge then ruled for immediate release since it was already in the public domain. The CO criminal courts have a history of withholding public documents. Legislation such as Rule 55.1 is one long overdue rule adopted to help overcome a history of injustice to the people of that state.

It will take a while for judges to adapt to a new way of doing business in CO. Until then, the media will have to sue to uphold the public's right to know. Judges want all parties protected for as long as possible but in an open society, that is an archaic practice that defies the right of all citizens to know why a fellow citizen stands accused, what evidence was used to bring charges and what adjudication is anticipated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Stauch -The media did not have to appeal. The district court judge had set a date for release then it was leaked to the media a week before that date. The judge then ruled for immediate release since it was already in the public domain. The CO criminal courts have a history of withholding public documents. Legislation such as Rule 55.1 is one long overdue rule adopted to help overcome a history of injustice to the people of that state.

It will take a while for judges to adapt to a new way of doing business in CO. Until then, the media will have to sue to protect the public's right to know. Judges want all parties protected for as long as possible but in an open society, that is an archaic practice that defies the right of all citizens to know why a fellow citizen stands accused, what evidence was used to bring charges and what adjudication is anticipated.

Is there any example of the Supreme Court in CO overruling a district judge in the release of a criminal AA?
I just want to compare cases. See what the factors were that allowed the release prior to the district court judge's decided date/time.

It is my way of trying to see how the Supreme Court applies the law in various matters. Or if they are happy with a certain date having been selected for the details to come out, and will run with that. And I wonder how long this would actually take to be heard in front of the Supreme Court, considering their workload.

Judges don't get removed from cases because a higher court reverses a ruling on a preliminary motion. That happens all the time.
I am sure it does.

But I am not sure this judge will be found to have followed the law - especially the newest rules adopted in 2020 and that recently went into effect that lean toward release. The media's response logically refutes on the basis of proper interpretation of the law - rather than long-established but improper precedent and interpretation of it - that the not only the affidavit but (reading the footnotes) over 200 more docs should be in the public domain.

My belief is that in this particular case, the judge's error is more serious than mere redaction and release can remedy. JMHO

Is there any example of the Supreme Court in CO overruling a district judge in the release of a criminal AA?
I just want to compare cases. See what the factors were that allowed the release prior to the district court judge's decided date/time.

It is my way of trying to see how the Supreme Court applies the law in various matters. Or if they are happy with a certain date having been selected for the details to come out, and will run with that. And I wonder how long this would actually take to be heard in front of the Supreme Court, considering their workload.
The media response itself cites cases as examples of what you are seeking.

Maybe one of our lawyers can help with additional research on how the SC in CO has ruled. But remember, the rules have changed so precedent is only one consideration.

It would be easy for the SC to simply rule in the media's favor without a hearing. I can't see an appeal delaying this case since as of Aug. 31st, the whole issue, if not resolved, is moot.

I am ok waiting. By the time the judge rules and even if the prosecution and defense remove all the inadmissible stuff or not relevant info and all the names we will be close to the preliminary. I think there is a fine line between knowing every little detail and knowing the elements that will make up the case. I feel differently if someone is bound over for trial…at that point I am more open minded about information. Right now Barry has not been bound over for trial.
But it is not your personal need to know that is at stake.

There is a critical principle involved. CO law has been amended to favor & encourage release. This was not done on a whim but rather with an understanding that criminal courts in CO have consistently overruled the American system of open records in these matters. They erred in favor of parties before the court without seriously considering the public's right to know - flinging it aside as always prejudicial - rather than weighing that right as also preeminent.

I like living in an open society in which the courts are forced (if necessary) to give proper weight to the rights of the public. Without those rights, our system of government is compromised on a daily basis. MOO

The media response itself cites cases as examples of what you are seeking.

Maybe one of our lawyers can help with additional research on how the SC in CO has ruled. But remember, the rules have changed so precedent is only one consideration.

It would be easy for the SC to simply rule in the media's favor without a hearing. I can't see an appeal delaying this case since as of Aug. 31st, the whole issue, if not resolved, is moot.

I have looked through the response, because I thought it was worth the attempt to understand what they are getting at - other than wanting the AA released now instead of waiting a couple of months.

They don't reference any cases where temporary suppression of an AA in CO has been overruled. Or not that I can see.

People V Thompson reference is about the length of a grand jury indictment - 64 pages - that was then released (so how can 130 pages be too long to analyse for redaction)
People V Holmes reference is about suppression for law enforcement reasons, not defense reasons (so if law enforcement don't oppose why should the judge)
Then again another People V Holmes reference saying there are others ways to protect victims than redacting their info

And then it cites one case in each of New York State, Illinois, and the Phillipines where 'important immediate access' was found. (Access to what, I don't know, because I haven't looked for the actual cases - and it doesn't say in their response.)

Then they argue Rule 55.1 - which CGray123 has given an opinion (of the judge's interpretation) in an above post.

Last edited:
I have looked through the response, because I thought it was worth the attempt to understand what they are getting at - other than wanting the AA released now instead of waiting a couple of months.

They don't reference any cases where temporary suppression of an AA in CO has been overruled. Or not that I can see.

People V Thompson is about the length of a grand jury indictment - 64 pages - that was then released (so how can 130 pages be too long to analyse for redaction)
People V Holmes is about suppression for law enforcement reasons, not defense reasons (so if law enforcement don't oppose why should the judge)
Then again People V Holmes saying there are others ways to protect victims than redacting their info

And then it cites one case in each of New York State, Illinois, and the Phillipines where 'important immediate access' was found.

Then they argue Rule 55.1 - which CGray123 has given an opinion (of the judge's intepretation) in an above post.
There may not be many because of the history of the courts in CO to withhold and suppress, according to this article. Only cases of high public interest would have brought these challenges to SC level.

Shrouded justice: Thousands of Colorado court cases hidden from public view on judges’ orders – The Denver Post

Honestly, this sounds more like Barry's excuse for leaving PP, because the girls were afraid to keep living there (paraphrasing).

He used the girls to discover SM unreachable that Mother's Day morning, then he used them again to justify selling the PP house, and oh, look... now they're being used again, to keep the AA sealed, for their protection.

jmo
Well said! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members