Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Suzanne’s fear was that she had some damning evidence of criminal wrongdoing by Barry regarding their finances. I believe she was fearful of being a part of it. Add that to domestic violence and BM bring a controlling person and I’m sure she shared that much with her sister. Maybe Barry knew he had to do something right away. i.e. murder.
All of this and possibly/probably more. IMO

I'm sorry. - I was addressing the idea that some think it was Barry's pen. Used to record Suzanne. Doesn't one party to the conversation have to give consent? So if Barry was recording Suzanne and anyone else, one of them has to give consent, right?

But if Barry was recording himself and Suzanne, that would be legal. But I don't find it plausible that Barry would attempt to secretly record Suzanne, unless of course she was talking to some other man. If that other man was leaving messages for Suzanne, and neither Suzanne nor that man consented, then Barry wasn't a party to the conversation (one party has to give consent).

So...if Barry secretly recorded Suzanne talking to someone else, without the consent of either of those two parties, wouldn't it be inadmissible?

Whereas if Suzanne recorded someone who was calling her, that's admissible.

Am I getting that right?

I concur with all.

The entire spy pen recording just adds another layer to the sad reality that was SM's true life.

And I'm sorry SM died most likely when trying to escape the toxic environment.

Peace to her family and friends as the revealing days approach.

I'm sorry. - I was addressing the idea that some think it was Barry's pen. Used to record Suzanne. Doesn't one party to the conversation have to give consent? So if Barry was recording Suzanne and anyone else, one of them has to give consent, right?

But if Barry was recording himself and Suzanne, that would be legal. But I don't find it plausible that Barry would attempt to secretly record Suzanne, unless of course she was talking to some other man. If that other man was leaving messages for Suzanne, and neither Suzanne nor that man consented, then Barry wasn't a party to the conversation (one party has to give consent).

So...if Barry secretly recorded Suzanne talking to someone else, without the consent of either of those two parties, wouldn't it be inadmissible?

Am I getting that right?
It would be admissible. The fact that Barry was breaking the law when he made the recordings wouldn't make them inadmissible. It would just mean he'd committed another crime. Which I'm pretty sure they would have charged him with.

But like you, I'm really not sure why there's such a resistance to the idea that Suzanne might have been the one doing the recording. The defense referred to it as Suzanne's pen. Neither the prosecution nor the judge disputed that. Barry's not charged with any sort of crime for illegally recording Suzanne. So by far the most likely scenario IMO is that Suzanne was doing the recording herself.

Yes and considering Suzanne was murdered. Well.
Melinda didn’t know and couldn’t have known. And I’m not even sure what action she could have taken, you can’t force someone to flee.

Suzanne was for i can see woman who would have a hard time believing the worst of her husband. BMs callous statement to MG about keeping the wife "happy" whether before or after killing her indicates the depth of his depravity.

It would be admissible. The fact that Barry was breaking the law when he made the recordings wouldn't make them inadmissible. It would just mean he'd committed another crime. Which I'm pretty sure they would have charged him with.

But like you, I'm really not sure why there's such a resistance to the idea that Suzanne might have been the one doing the recording. The defense referred to it as Suzanne's pen. Neither the prosecution nor the judge disputed that. Barry's not charged with any sort of crime for illegally recording Suzanne. So by far the most likely scenario IMO is that Suzanne was doing the recording herself.
Exactly. Barry planting a pen doesn’t work, as it’s not going to pick up phone conversations that aren’t on speakerphone. It’s also only going to pick up conversations in the immediate vicinity of the device.

They referred to it as Suzanne’s pen, and it makes complete sense that it would be Suzanne’s pen, as the specifics of the technology just doesn’t make sense in regards to Barry.

Suzanne was in fear for her life. She was concerned for her safety. MM just didn't know it was more of a state of emergency until she heard two days later that Suzanne was missing. Further, Suzanne did not possess the wherewithal to know her time was quite limited and the end was so near.

Suzanne was scared is what she told MM on Friday the eighth and, within that fear, she died before or during Sunday the 10th, according to the DA's beliefs. BM brutally killed and then manipulated Suzanne's body afterwards so she couldn't be found and properly buried.

He needs to give up the location of her remains. #JusticeForSuzanne
There has nothing been said by anyone that Suzanne feared for her life. I think whatever happened to her was unforeseen.

Exactly. Barry planting a pen doesn’t work, as it’s not going to pick up phone conversations that aren’t on speakerphone. It’s also only going to pick up conversations in the immediate vicinity of the device.

They referred to it as Suzanne’s pen, and it makes complete sense that it would be Suzanne’s pen, as the specifics of the technology just doesn’t make sense in regards to Barry.
I’ve been thinking this over for about a week and struggling how to put it into words. What if the spy pen has nothing to do with either SM or BM trying to document infidelity or DV against one or the other? What if they both knew of the existence of the pen and the recordings because someone HYPOTHETICALLY had a beef with SM over money, real estate, inheritance, etc ? Someone who wasn’t exactly threatening to harm her, just angry. Perhaps she recorded that person’s calls and voicemails ( maybe BM suggested it ) to convince someone else of what was going on or to ask someone else to help her resolve it.
That might explain why the Defense feels those recordings are “critical “. They could introduce an alternate suspect or sow doubt.
And may be why the pen and/or the recording weren’t destroyed or hidden ?
Just MOO/Speculation

Remember when BM told LS this:

During a 25-minute conversation that took place Tuesday, Barry theorized over what may have happened to his wife. He mentioned the possibility of an animal attack, an accident, perhaps, with someone on the road, or even, he said, a run-in with someone who knows her well.

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

I believe Suzanne’s fear was that she had some damning evidence of criminal wrongdoing by Barry regarding their finances. I believe she was fearful of being a part of it. Add that to domestic violence and BM bring a controlling person and I’m sure she shared that much with her sister. Maybe Barry knew he had to do something right away. i.e. murder.
OR
She just wanted out of an abusive/Controlling relationship
She may have mentioned she wanted out
BM (yes, I still giggle) may have overheard her talking to someone about wanting out
BM may have snooped on her messages to someone that she wanted out.
BM could not have that.
His controlling /abusive self could not let Suzanne go public or even share confidently with anyone the truth.

But to me it could very well belong to Suzanne. After all, Barry was the dominant person. I can see him being very abusive in private and at the same time adoring and loving in public. Who would believe they had problems in their marriage. I think Suzanne had the pen to "prove" to others and maybe the girls how mean Barry was in private. Also, as I stated above, I think LE would have to of known to look for this pen when searching. They are hard to notice just in passing. Someone tipped them to the fact it was being used. If Barry had it, I think he would have hid or destroyed it when he did his dirty deed. JMO.
If Suzanne's laptop or tablet were taken in the first search....it could be that after reviewing its content, evidence was discovered that lead to the second warrant when the pen was located. That is of course if the pen is Suzannes.

Is having doubt and waiting for verification resistance? There are many scenarios about what happened to Suzanne...We don't even know how the spy pen was used...for what purpose, or where it came from. Is it too much to then want specifics of the actors involved in the pen as well? It remains a question until the evidence is presented...then it becomes an answer, imo.

Last edited:
Its been brought out before but I really never put 2 and 2 together.

He refused for quite sometime to plead for SM's safe return.

He had a relative giving updates/interviews but only over the phone.

His plead for Suzanne was done over fb only (which isn't out in the populace).

Laurens interviews, weren't they by phone?

He has had face work done.

And now he doesn't want his face in court......

IMO, he was planning to run and didn't want to be recognizable. This may still be true if he thinks he will get bail at some point. Also IMO, his lawyers believe he will be acquitted at the end of this, so they may help keep his face hidden so that when he gets out, it's easier for him to disappear from the limelight. Jmo

IMO, he was planning to run and didn't want to be recognizable. This may still be true if he thinks he will get bail at some point. Also IMO, his lawyers believe he will be acquitted at the end of this, so they may help keep his face hidden so that when he gets out, it's easier for him to disappear from the limelight. Jmo
If Barry were to somehow get bail, highly doubtful, but if....then absconded....seems to me his lawyers would then be off the hook. They already have his money. And likely won't be giving any of it back.

Am I getting that right?
And if the pen was Barry's, and contained incriminating evidence, he would have known to destroy it. We wouldn't be discussing it.

Very clearly this was Suzanne's pen/recording as you so aptly deduced in your prior post, Barry didn't know about it but someone else did. You don't stumble upon a secret pen.

Further, its obviously important to the prosecution of one of those charges or it wouldn't be one of the only pieces of evidence we have heard about...

And if the pen was Barry's, and contained incriminating evidence, he would have known to destroy it. We wouldn't be discussing it.

Very clearly this was Suzanne's pen/recording as you so aptly deduced in your prior post.

Further, its obviously important to the prosecution of one of those charges or it wouldn't be one of the only pieces of evidence we have heard about...
I am reasonably confident that there is plenty of incriminating evidence that Barry failed to destroy....

No doubt a deterioration has occurred.
My gut was that he wanted to avoid being recognised by other 'victims' and that was the reason he wanted to keep a low profile.
If , for example he had been abusing other women but not using his real name and they suddenly recognised him and came forward to LE. That is my imagination and pure speculation.
other women may come forward whether there was abuse or not. If Barry was involved to any degree with another woman....that woman would likely want her name cleared...rather than waiting on LE to find her.

Question for the spy pen savvy: Is a spy pen programmable so that it records only specific phone numbers who call in...or will it simply activate when any and all calls come in? If its the former, that explains how only one source is recorded...but if its the latter...then there are other people being recorded who would then need to be edited...No? Or, is it a given that the pen is simply manually activated by the party doing the recording when caller ID shows the source of the call or the person is recognized?

I think a spy pen has nothing to do with phone calls.

It's simply a hidden tape recorder. To tape any sounds. Once manually activated. (Some models have cameras.)

JMO

Last edited:
I think a spy pen has nothing to do with phone calls.

It's simply a hidden tape recorder. To tape any sounds. Once manually activated. (Some models have cameras.)

JMO
totally not tech savvy, but I found this:

"spyguy.com/collections/audio-surveillance/products/16-hour-voice-activated-recorder-pen"

answered my own question...they can be voice-activated, but do not selectively record specific numbers, if read this correctly, depending on the model.

Last edited:
Suzanne was in fear for her life. She was concerned for her safety. MM just didn't know it was more of a state of emergency until she heard two days later that Suzanne was missing. Further, Suzanne did not possess the wherewithal to know her time was quite limited and the end was so near.

Suzanne was scared is what she told MM on Friday the eighth and, within that fear, she died before or during Sunday the 10th, according to the DA's beliefs. BM brutally killed and then manipulated Suzanne's body afterwards so she couldn't be found and properly buried.

He needs to give up the location of her remains. #JusticeForSuzanne

This thought just occurred to me: Do we know if Melinda ever responded? We know she was going to pray about it, but for how long? The original text was received Friday morning, Suzanne was reported missing Sunday evening, and if I am remembering correctly, the Moorman family wasn't notified of SMs disappearance until Monday... if I received a message like Melinda describes, I don't feel like I would have waited long to respond, definitely not more than 24 hours and even 24 hours seems like a really long time. What if MM did respond and BM got ahold of it? In my thinking, this could be where the rift between the daughters and the Moorman's came from. If MM responded telling SM to leave and divorce BM, BM could have shown the girls how awful the Moormans are because they were trying to break up BM & SM, so of course they would accuse BM of killing SM because they were already against poor old Barry.《《《 NOT FACTS JUST SPECULATION!!! I can see how this could have played out and caused much of the drama we have seen. Am I crazy or does this seem possible to anyone else?

Jmo and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members