Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There may have been a couple of “eager” WSers post that exact info yesterday by misunderstanding what was being tweeted via different reporters. There were a couple of times yesterday some conflicting information was translated in tweets
1) distance of helmet from bike
2) 2 truck doors closing
3) timing of 2:47 pm Saturday translated to 2:47 am Sunday

Those are just a few of the distinct discrepancies I can recall quickly. Moo.
I try to look at several tweets to find correct info, not easy to do when fast moving threads are posting.

Anyone….Who is the most accurate twitter account to follow? TIA
MOO
I think in their rush to be first they all make mistakes so following several has helped me - Lauren, Stephanie, Marc have all been good

I haven't been able to find any quotes from LE that the brakes were locked. There was speculation about that from the beginning but I don't remember LE confirming it. In court the officer said he noticed the wheel was in an unusual position but didn't mention the brakes being jammed or locked. I suppose Barry could have manipulated the bike to make it look like the brakes had locked up, though. Imo

Thanks, @MsBetsy, that's the way I remember it as well. RBBM.

I have been thinking about how LE didn't identify Jeff earlier or know that Suzanne had another relationship early on and I think the answer will be they didn't check her LinkedIn account. LinkedIn isn't a "messaging" app even though it has a messaging feature.

I have never seen a document request, from the government or otherwise, that requests preservation or production of messages from LinkedIn. I personally have never asked an adversary to produce relevant information from LinkedIn (though I will going forward).

On Facebook, if someone deletes their Facebook account, your messages from that person will say "Facebook User" instead of their name. Perhaps something similar happens on LinkedIn. LE seems to have the LinkedIn messages so they got them from somewhere-maybe LinkedIn directly.
I think I saw mentioned yesterday that there was a warrant (or some other legal document) served on LinkedIn. I personally think this was poor show by LE. All online activity should have been investigated. If that pen was never found, JL wuld not have been found either.

Do they know that he is guilty? If a person is guilty do they admit it to their defence team? Or do they never admit to anything to have a good defence? I am not sure how this works.

It depends on the client. I have had people repeatedly lie to my face that nothing happened, the evidence was forged, they're being framed, the feds are lying, etc.

Other clients will come to you and may admit to something but they are usually interested in a plea at that point.

I can't speak for all defense attorneys but your job is really to look at the evidence from the state and ask if the evidence proves your client violated each element of the relevant law beyond a reasonable doubt. Most clients will say they didn't do it and you have to lay out the evidence for them and explain their chances. Some people want to fight and lose just to not admit to something.

Watched Profiling Evil this morning, Chris reminded everyone that he has been saying all along. If the defence starts trashing the victim, then the state has a good case. No reason to trash victim if hardly any evidence is there. Sooo heres hoping....
The defence didn't need to, did they? The Prosecution revealed the information.

Suzanne had plenty of time to leave during her two years of going around the country meeting JL.
She may have been killed sooner if she had. That's exactly what she was trying to do when she was murdered. Her youngest was still in high school and she was receiving cancer treatments the two years before so I can see why she would have waited. It's not so easy when you are under someone else's control.

I also don't think she would have just gone on a trip and never came back without telling him she wanted a divorce.. I think she wanted to take it slowly but she never realized the danger she was in. According to Melinda, Suzanne tried very hard to save her marriage at one point. I can see how after more than 20 years with someone like Barry that would be exhausting. She was probably waiting until she was done with her treatments and stronger.

At one point they were reading from the AA - I understand now why it was 126 pages and I hold firm in my belief that it was completely superfluous and unnecessary. You don't need to prove anything about a victim to show probable cause, IMO. You just need to show the defendant likely carried out the physical act. It's not about eliminating reasonable doubt at that point, it's just the bare minimum to get a judge to sign off.
I agree! (and I think the judge did too!).

I am not sure the defense strategy is wise. They are revealing their strategy and giving the prosecution an opportunity to defeat it at trial. The standard of probable cause is low enough that the judge is very likely to bind the case over for trial. Maybe they are going for bond, hoping the judge will find the evidence does not meet the higher burden of "proof evident/presumption great".

From what we heard yesterday, Suzanne met up with this JL person only 6-7 times over the course of 2 years. On average, that's a face to face meeting once every 4 months. To me, that says she's was being very careful as to the when & the how, keeping it hidden from not only Barry but even her best friend. Maybe to her, she thought she was being careful enough that it wasn't a risk at all? It's hard to say, and we can't ask her because, Barry made sure she'd never have a voice again.

jmo
But, you don't know that. I think distance and the fact thhat they were both married probably played into how often they saw each other. My point was. DV victims do NOT put themselves at more risk by having affairs. They just don't.

I have just one question after getting to the end of the thousandth message tonight. What time and date was the Hotel room Brookfield reserved ? Thanks Everyone for all of the updates, could never have gotten through the hearing without you all. You all rock!

<snipped from Oviedo's link above>

Investigators say they were paying close attention to Barry Morphew’s statements early on. He told law enforcement that he left for work that Mother’s Day morning at 5 a.m. But the arrest affidavit states that based on Barry Morphew's Telematics report on his truck, law enforcement allege "from 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death."

I have just one question after getting to the end of the thousandth message tonight. What time and date was the Hotel room in Broomfield reserved ? Thanks Everyone for all of the updates, could never have gotten through the hearing without you all. You all rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi