Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on SM's communication with SO over the years, it seemed that SM was trapped in that erroneous "mindset" to stick it out until HS graduation but I think it was her own child that she was holding out for that was the most supportive of SM to get out -- file a restraining order if necessary -- even suggesting they (SM and daughter) could relocate to Salida and get "jobs."

The money was probably as issue too. I believe it was Suzanne’s sister that said financial pressures were weighing on them and they were living beyond their means.

Change is hard.
Divorce is So. Damn. Hard.

I think Suzanne would have done it.
She just didn’t get there quickly enough.

Replying to my own post because to late to edit to add what @NoSI just posted from prelim.

May 9, 2021 – 14:04: Msg from JL asking “How did you get along”; SM responds with “He is always gone somewhere, never stops, but that’s fine with me”; Later SM to JL “Thank you Babe! I am just in love with you”; JL to SM “Cleaning up outside. Want to strip down and get naked?”; SM to JL “Can you talk? I am on What’s App”; JL to SM “Let me check on kids to see if able to”; 14:11 - SM to JL “okay, I am on What’s App

I think Suzanne took nudes after JL said want to strip and get naked and Barry saw this on his trail cams and this threw him into his rage.
I have suspected the same when the photo shown in court was very cropped down to show only her face.
JMO
ETA *grammar*

Last edited:
After 30 years of marriage and two daughters, yeah, a woman might think that.
BM was very good at concealing his psychosis. That's what psychotics do.
Does anyone think his bad behavior ramped up after they moved to CO? I'm curious about whether his state of mind or mental health worsened and why. Both were isolated, having to find new friends, new church, etc. Facing an empty nest. His work life changed.

No excuses for Barry's behavior & choices but I am curious. SM surviving cancer probably had her thinking about a new lease on life.

I hope they play her laughter in court. She so deserved happiness.

Hmm .. I guess it could be water therapy? I’d never imagine someone accusing another person of it though. My first thought was drug use. (But I have hung out with a quite a cast of characters over the years.)

Interesting how we all visualize different things.
Not even BM would have a problem with hydrotherapy.

Replying to my own post because to late to edit to add what @NoSI just posted from prelim.

May 9, 2021 – 14:04: Msg from JL asking “How did you get along”; SM responds with “He is always gone somewhere, never stops, but that’s fine with me”; Later SM to JL “Thank you Babe! I am just in love with you”; JL to SM “Cleaning up outside. Want to strip down and get naked?”; SM to JL “Can you talk? I am on What’s App”; JL to SM “Let me check on kids to see if able to”; 14:11 - SM to JL “okay, I am on What’s App

I think Suzanne took nudes after JL said want to strip and get naked and Barry saw this on his trail cams and this threw him into his rage.

WOW. OMG. I don’t think this was in the tweets.

Does anyone think his bad behavior ramped up after they moved to CO? I'm curious about whether his state of mind or mental health worsened and why. Both were isolated, having to find new friends, new church, etc. Facing an empty nest. His work life changed.

No excuses for Barry's behavior & choices but I am curious. SM surviving cancer probably had her thinking about a new lease on life.

I hope they play her laughter in court. She so deserved happiness.
I believe he wanted to deliberately isolate Suzanne.
Remember the frenzied move? Everything thrown into a truck, haphazardly? IMO, he'd made up his mind.

My theory, too. I think SUZANNE is closer to Puma Path and Morphew house than most people think.

rbbm

I’ll thank, in advance, any members who have information near to hand.

Are we sure we know where the bike was found? I haven’t read or seen where LE or an msm reporter made it official. I know someone tied a ribbon to a tree along rd 225, and it was thought that was where the bike was found, but I haven’t seen the location confirmed. I did just see the map @OldCop posted earlier.

I’m asking because if it was found on road 225 between Puma Path and Hwy 50, BM being in that area is normal, as that’s the only road in and out of the subdivision (notwithstanding the unimproved two-track to the south of the Morphew house that goes east to the rv park).

However, if the bike was west along road 225 toward Fooses Dam, then that is way more problematic for BM.

And @Cindizzi, didn’t BM tell one of the detectives SUZANNE may have been riding up that way? Toward Fooses or along Fooses Creek? (Sorry, I obviously need to print out the msm tweets from the PC hearing.)

If the bike was found up this trail, which is to the west of the house and goes up the mountain, that would better explain for me MM2’s boyfriend’s comment to investigators that it was odd for her bike to be there because SUZANNE didn’t ride that trail because of the steep climb. (Paraphrasing what he said, I’m hoping @Cindizzi has the quote close to hand.)
Here’s what I have on Day 1 of Preliminary Hearing. From body worn cameras at the bike scene and at the PP home:

Walker says deputies located a bicycle near County Road 225 and Highway 50. The bike was not damaged, he said, and there were no skid marks or blood on the road or anywhere at the scene. Body camera video of this discovery is playing in court. #suzannemorphew
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424740037233569793?s=21

The body camera footage shows deputies yelling Suzanne's name as they search in rough terrain. They find the bike in thick aspen and fir trees on a steep hill. There is not a visible trail in the immediate areas.
Walker said the last activity on Suzanne’s phone was from 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020. It connected to the cell tower in Poncha Springs.

Morphew daughter's boyfriend told authorities Suzanne would never ride her bike up that trail because it was a "crazy climb."
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424744295454572547?s=21

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1424743355112640523?s=21
Suzanne's Phone was last pinged at 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020, on the Poncha Springs tour. M.H, was coming out of the garage when deputies arrived to the Morphew home.

Miles explains he is one of the daughter's boyfriends. He noticed that Suzanne's car was home, but bike was gone. He told deputies that Suzanne typically brings her car with her when she goes mountain biking. (Bodycam video)

Miles and his father describe places where Suzanne goes biking as well as what she typically wears. The deputy asked Miles what Barry and Suzanne's relationship was like, "They've had some problems in the past. They have talked about separating. I've known this through Macy."

Thank you @NoSI for the document!

I don’t remember this.. "# Recording 3… September 2018: SO was visiting SM. BM was hunting in NE or AZ at the time. SO saw headlights coming up to PP. They stopped short of the house. Somebody moved about in the dark and appeared to look in the house. They learned that it was BM. "

Wow BM sure was paranoid. To “sneak” back home like that. To me this also confirms they didn't have working cameras if Barry didn't believe it was SO visiting.

Awesome job NoSi - thank you so much. Just starting to read this and I had one question - about the bike helmet In people exhibit 2 as attached you indicate that The helmet is same MH showed LE at PP -
iView attachment 309111
Edit to add - same helmet as SM was wearing in the Monarch Mt pic. What did you mean by this? Just looking for clarification ! Appreciate it

First read through and I have questions!
1. Were all three drugs named in court, as you listed them? (hydrocodone, clonazepam, and mirtazapine)
2. Right before the “last photo” was sent to JL, he asked Suzanne if they should strip naked?? Could that photo have been a nude photo that was cropped for court, or do you think you saw the entire photo?
3. Did they say where Mm1’s sheets were located?
Two comments- one thing that I hated: “Ecuador: It was stated that SM indicated that they go without contact for a while when she leaves, but that SM will wait for JL.” Ugh the defense will hit on this big time.
One thing that I loved: “Was there any blood found in the house, helmet, or bike? No. DA asks “Do you need to bleed to die?” No.”

1. Yes, the meds were named in court. He mispronounced clonazepam, but pretty sure that's what he meant. All these meds would make sense in SMs condition and situation. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine that is meant for short-term use only. It is often prescribed as needed for anxiety and sometimes sleep. Mirtazapine is a antidepressant that is often used for sleep at lower doses. At higher doses it is very effective for depression and anxiety. We use it a lot in our oncology pts as it can improve appetite. Hydrocodone is a pain medication.
2. In the photo we saw, her chest was covered. Her hair covered her shoulders, so didn't see straps, but not naked in that particular photo. She looked stunning! I don't think that it was discussed when the nudes were sent.
3. Nope, just that her bed was stripped, nothing more. And that no blood was found in her room (or anywhere else).
4. Yes, i agree completely. Not surprisingly, the defense spent quite a bit of time on Equator hoping to plant the seed ... Yeah, that was classic. The way she asked the question was unforgettable. Dry, a bit sarcastic... And then she said No further questions if I remember correctly. I like her style!

Please know this is MOO. I could have misinterpreted some things.

Awesome job NoSi - thank you so much. Just starting to read this and I had one question - about the bike helmet In people exhibit 2 as attached you indicate that The helmet is same MH showed LE at PP -
iView attachment 309111

I think that is how they worded it but then it seemed more like identical/looked the same. I will reword slightly in doc. Thank you. :)

Devils advocate here.. why was Suzanne bothered so much by garage cameras in her 50 reasons to leave note. My thought was because that money was there and they both knew it and both wanted it.

I’m just trying to figure why she had the issue with the garage cameras.

In addition to Barry probably following her phone on that Find a Phone app or any spy app, he could see not only when she left the house but he'd also know what she was wearing. It seems he was fussy over what she was allowed to wear.

My controlling X would say: "I liked that dress you wore last Friday", instead of complimenting the dress I was wearing; thereby sending me into a tailspin trying to remember which dress I wore so I knew he'd be pleased seeing me in it again.

RE: the safe
We also had a safe in his office closet. He had someone come in and bolt that dang thing to the floor. And, no, neither I nor my daughter knew the combination to it. It's probably for the best or I would have taken my Santa Claus bank notes he kept ever so safe for me in there. SOB Yeah, still bitter after all these years. So what?

As always lately, I'm way pages behind in the posts so thought I'd mention that on Profiling Evil this evening, I heard the guest, Dr. Amy Salerno, state that the Morphew girls likely have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome. She gave a detailed explanation for why. I totally agreed.

It's near the end of tonight's program. Apologies that I can't be more specific.

Last edited:
Being in possession of tranquilizer darts requires licensing. Even if he had a deer farm back in Indiana, which allowed him to tranquilize and capture deer there, that wouldn't work in CO and he knew it.

Since it is my opinion that the most obvious source of Barry's darts was the Fire Department, it would not surprise me to learn that they found the cap (almost immediately), checked their locked medical supply cabinets (both in ambulances and at stations) and found a box missing. These are highly controlled substances. People steal ketamine to use as a date rape drug.

So Barry just turning up with a package of 3 darts would have been a bit...suspicious...to say the least.

I am now wondering if this missing box of darts is one of the reasons that the entire group of firefighters was banned from searching. Dart cap found in dryer at home of missing person; dart is the brand used by firefighters to tranquilize bears and mountain lions - so it's strong; missing dart box was then noticed at Fire Station.
My husband has been a firefighter for 24 years in a city known for its extremely high murder rates (contrary to popular belief firemen respond to shootings, stabbing, suicides as well as fires). We also sit on the I95 drug corridor so Narcan and drug overdoses are multiple daily runs for him. Never, ever have I heard him mention having tranq darts in a fire station or on an ambulance. Maybe paramedics carry them on their own trucks, but fire stations here (nor the ambulances running out of them) carry tranquilizers.

iView attachment 309111
There is confusion across the board as to what exactly occurred. Other people in the courtroom My sense is that Miles showed law enforcement a photo of the helmet, and not the helmet itself. Or he showed LE a similar helmet.

Had Suzanne’s helmet been hanging on the wall at the time, and then appeared where it was found a few days later, the prosecution would have made a much bigger deal of this.

From @NoSI

It seems like the daughters know more about their toxic marriage than what they told LE…

# Exhibit 6 – “I can’t handle the unstableness. The day he cut his leg he accused me of wanting to go back to town to get his meds and talk to someone. I came back with I can’t question you about another but you can me? He literally opened his car door while I was driving up the mountain like he was going to jump. His usual tactic when I bring up another”; “Macy mentioned us separating today or divorcing. She wants us happy. She is tired of the tension”; He plays the hurt one”; “Says he loves me and can’t handle the pain from me not giving him the love he needs”

# Exhibit 19: “She (MaM) sees how he is towards me and almost begged me to divorce him”; “My heart aches for them both in different ways

Expensive non-insured hydrotherapy is another “hydro” thought……I don’t think SM would have an on-going prescription for any nasty pain med. JMO though.

There's nothing "nasty" about codeine plus tylenol, which is used worldwide as a bastion against pain.

Cancer can cause pain. I hope we can lose the judgmentalism about pain medication.

There is confusion across the board as to what exactly occurred. Other people in the courtroom My sense is that Miles showed law enforcement a photo of the helmet, and not the helmet itself. Or he showed LE a similar helmet.

Had Suzanne’s helmet been hanging on the wall at the time, and then appeared where it was found a few days later, the prosecution would have made a much bigger deal of this.
I think your exactly right that MH described what SM would typically wear biking or showed them a photo. Much like what AF is trying to convey here.

Continuing with the body camera footage: Miles Harvey describes to investigators what #SuzanneMorphew was last seen wearing. Commander says following that they went to the location where the bike was found to meet with deputies. That convo is playing out now.

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424744313003544576?s=21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members