Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that the defense is all over all of that but it was odd to me mentions of the sheets and shorts and then the body cam showed an empty drier. Perhaps LE folded everything and did the dishes :) for t he Morphews during the time they had possession of the house.

They took the contents of the dryer into evidence much earlier than when they found the needle cap.

Isn't the body cam from the time the tech came to swab the dryer on May 19? That's what it says in Lauren's tweet from first half of day 4.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just think that it would be very hard to search every single drop-off point along that road, at this point in time. But if I lived up that way, I'd certainly be keeping my eyes open and pulling off in pull-outs.

Unfortunately, at this particular site at Berthoud Pass, they needed to rappel down to get to the spot. There are tons of spots like that within striking distant from PP.

I personally think that, in the end, he removed her from any plastic bags or containers, because in addition to wanting the body not to be found by LE or their dogs, he also wanted the bones - if they are eventually found - to look consistent with roadside dumping/stranger abduction, or being dispersed by animals (hopefully at least something gnawed on by a mountain lion).

But the planting of the helmet up toward that direction could mean that Barry wanted the helmet in place to keep with the notion that his wife was snatched off her bicycle and taken off in that direction.

Entirely possible she's in the opposite direction - but if I were hiding a body in CO, I'd use dense trees and brush on a slope that requires a rappel to view the ground. I'm assuming that in the body was found today that GPS on their phone or car narrowed things down for them. So I'm sticking with Barry hiding the body right before he reset the truck GPS (and he left his phone at home).

If it were near a public campground, oh, the places the defense could go with that.

I think we heard they found MANY bathing suits in that closet.

Yes - and they specifically said that the one she was wearing was in that box. That was the whole point of bringing it up (and several tweeters tweeting it).

I do not recall, but I believe they said they did not take this garment into evidence.

I don't think it looks random for dumping of criminal evidence or a body. That group of trees southwest of the pull out is quite dense. No one would see anything with a drone. Pulling over at a pullout is not suspicious (stopping by the side of the road without a pull-out would make me take notice).

If the body was in a container (like a toolbox or Yeti) and tucked away on that slope, even the campers at Robbers Roost probably do not cross the highway to go into dense brush/trees.

If the container was even partly concealed, well, if it was a Yeti, yeah, someone would take it if they saw it.

Where ever Suzanne is, I think her location will be consistent with "abduction."

She could also be inside a game bag or two (the size used for elk). Perhaps some other part of an elk was concealing her remains.

At any rate, at about 2 months out from her death, she would be mostly bones and there would be at least rodent scavenging.

Pretty steep area, not a place that a casual hiker would go and no place for a hunter either (it's not okay to shoot at game so close to a highway). Barry may have been thinking about all of that. If he's full of hubris, he might just have thought "I'll find somewhere" to put her.

When are we theorizing this happened? Because if she was still alive (but bound or incapacitated), Barry had quite a while to pack up and go (with her), without leaving any signs of decomp at PP.

Thank you. I have really appreciated your knowledge and careful way of telling it like it is on many, many cases here on Webseluths.
I wish you could be the one who helps Suzanne tell her story WHEN she is found.

MOO

I assume that the defense is all over all of that but it was odd to me mentions of the sheets and shorts and then the body cam showed an empty drier. Perhaps LE folded everything and did the dishes :) for t he Morphews during the time they had possession of the house.
Did the body cam show an empty dryer? Must've missed that.

I was thinking today if coolers are missing from the home, the girls would know that. Im sure BM was smart enough not to leave anything from the house with SM’s body. So whatever he took her out in ….went to dumpsters. Except her biking out fit, I’m sure he put that on her body…… that’s if she’s local.
I just can’t get pasted the 45 mins at the men’s warehouse. I definitely think it’s possible he put her body in a dumpster. He wouldn’t have been worried about being pulled over, she wasn’t even reported missing at that time. As long as he had her concealed he was fine. He knew full well there would be searches for SM in the local area.

I was thinking today if coolers are missing from the home, the girls would know that. Im sure BM was smart enough not to leave anything from the house with SM’s body. So whatever he took her out in ….went to dumpsters. Except her biking out fit, I’m sure he put that on her body…… that’s if she’s local.
I just can’t get pasted the 45 mins at the men’s warehouse. I definitely think it’s possible he put her body in a dumpster. He wouldn’t have been worried about being pulled over, she wasn’t even reported missing at that time. As long as he had her concealed he was fine. He knew full well there would be searches for SM in the local area.
Although I didn't see a tweet from the hearing confirming this, DM reported that BM was shopping at Men's Warehouse during the 45 minute period! I also don't recall if there's video evidence of BM at a dumpster here.

10 most damning pieces of evidence against Barry Morphew | Daily Mail Online

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just think that it would be very hard to search every single drop-off point along that road, at this point in time. But if I lived up that way, I'd certainly be keeping my eyes open and pulling off in pull-outs.

Unfortunately, at this particular site at Berthoud Pass, they needed to rappel down to get to the spot. There are tons of spots like that within striking distant from PP.

I personally think that, in the end, he removed her from any plastic bags or containers, because in addition to wanting the body not to be found by LE or their dogs, he also wanted the bones - if they are eventually found - to look consistent with roadside dumping/stranger abduction, or being dispersed by animals (hopefully at least something gnawed on by a mountain lion).

But the planting of the helmet up toward that direction could mean that Barry wanted the helmet in place to keep with the notion that his wife was snatched off her bicycle and taken off in that direction.

Entirely possible she's in the opposite direction - but if I were hiding a body in CO, I'd use dense trees and brush on a slope that requires a rappel to view the ground. I'm assuming that in the body was found today that GPS on their phone or car narrowed things down for them. So I'm sticking with Barry hiding the body right before he reset the truck GPS (and he left his phone at home).

If it were near a public campground, oh, the places the defense could go with that.

Yes - and they specifically said that the one she was wearing was in that box. That was the whole point of bringing it up (and several tweeters tweeting it).

I do not recall, but I believe they said they did not take this garment into evidence.
That’s right. Since they found it, I wonder why they didn’t take it?

Another question if you don’t mind. What is your opinion as to why they wouldn’t have taken the swimsuit or coffee cup for testing?

It was abolished there again in 2020 and the governor commuted the sentences of all those on death row at that time.

IIRC -While his sentence would most likely be commuted, BM could get the death penalty if convicted of first degree murder because his crime was committed May 9-10, 2020, before the official repeal date.

"The act repeals the death penalty in Colorado for offenses charged on or after July 1, 2020."

Repeal The Death Penalty | Colorado General Assembly

ETA: "It is still possible for someone to be sentenced to death for a capital crime committed before July 1, 2020." Per Wikipedia
In the unlikely event DA Stanley intends to seek the death penalty in People v Morphew, the old statute requires her to notify the defendant within nine weeks after he enters a plea of not guilty. The jury doesn't get to consider it until this and other steps are taken.

Here is a good plain language article describing the complexities and costs of death penalty cases: What You Need to Know About Colorado's Current Death Penalty Law.

Given the burdens and costs of a death penalty case, the likelihood it will go for naught one way or another, and the likelihood the community will see it as expensive overreach and a foolish gesture, I would be shocked if Stanley sought the death penalty.

For all those questioning how they knew which bikini SM was wearing since the photo shown at the PH did not show even straps, it is my best guess that the pic shown at the PH was enhanced/blown up and that straps WERE evident in the original pic which I believe they got from icloud. Just a GUESS and JMHO. Can't think of any other way they would know which bikini she was wearing that day.

I don't think it's likely given that BM was first represented by appointed counsel from the public defender's office which he later terminated when he hired private attorneys E & N.

I'm wondering if perhaps OP is recalling E&N requesting sanctions against the DA's office for allegedly delaying discovery? Nonetheless, it would be unusual for a public defender or state-funded counsel to request monies in open court -- there's a process for that. MOO
to be honest, i'm very confused about this matter. i did find the date was 8/6 status hearing. there were many tweets that day and i replied in similar fashion that day about defense stating they needed more money because of the enormous amount of discovery. my mistake was not quoting the post containing that tweet. i spent about 2 hours early this morning looking for that tweet , i did not find it on this forum or on twitter. but i learned a valuable lesson for going forward and that is any tweet i want to respond to, the post containing the tweet as well as the tweet itself needs to be copied and catalogued. i even looked to see if a transcript was available for that status hearing and could not find one. it's bothered me all day. thanks, Seattle1.

Thank you. I have really appreciated your knowledge and careful way of telling it like it is on many, many cases here on Webseluths.
I wish you could be the one who helps Suzanne tell her story WHEN she is found.

MOO

Thank you so much. I pace around the house muttering about how I'd condense this case into about 4 main parts, in order not to confuse a jury. Most of us here have become confused or misremembering something - juries don't usually take copious notes (I was criticized by other jurors for doing so at the one and only trial jury I've sat on - but the judge had said we could use a notebook and pen/pencil).

I just hope that the DV section is emphasized early on (with experts on DV leading that charge).

Which means nothing unless he wrote down odometer reading right before he killed her, and gave that to the police. There has to be a more precise description.
MOO his phone and his truck odometer data align up to a certain point. 2:44pm
Sat 5/9/20.

That is the first odemeter reading point, then the odemeter reading when he arrives at the Bus loop in Broomfield at 8:10am.

Barry says:
A RT trip to Spa Store (+18 miles)
Following Elk in morning ( x forgot the miles)
Driving to Broomfield.

These trips were added together, then the Spa Store trip was subtracted, that leaves 18 miles driven but not explained.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member