Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m kind of puzzled when he disposed of the body. It would be risky during the day and darn hard in the dark. The time line link isn’t working, would anyone have a link that works. Please

Double post…

Last edited:
But maybe something belonging to BM would be found with her , like a soiled shirt or something that would def tie him to it!
This is a morbid question but here goes…if they found Suzanne’s skeletal remains could they test the bones for dart tranquilizer? Would it only be in tissue & muscle or could her bones have absorbed some of it too? Wait let me look that up and see if I can answer my own question. Standby if anyone else has wondered about this…

Ok well that took longer and was harder than I thought. How did we ever live without Google or the internet? God forbid any of us are ever under investigation and LE finds all the crazy things we have looked up online. :D

Anyway I didn’t find anything specifically about detecting tranquilizer dart medication like ketamine in human bones postmortem, however this was very interesting:

Human bone marrow as a tissue in post-mortem identification and determination of psychoactive Substances-Screening methodology - PubMed

If 30 drugs can be absorbed into bone marrow, including antidepressants, then it seems like tranquilizers might also be detectable. And I forgot about teeth & hair too.

In researching this question I came across something else that I wish I hadn’t read. And if it must remain in my head then it’s going in all of your heads too! :p So I read an article that says in rare cases, a human that has been shot with a tranquilizer dart will not become sedated but instead the drug will cause a paralytic effect where the person will be awake and conscious while rendered motionless. :eek: Omg that’s terrifying & the stuff of nightmares. :( You’re welcome.

Edited to add you might also be interested in checking out CIA poison air dart guns. Not related to this case but very interesting & scary too! Yeah I’m going to sleep now & hope I don’t have a bad dream. Happy thoughts…happy thoughts…night!

Last edited:
I agree. I also believe that more evidence will be produced on 9/17 which may or may not include testimony as to BM's plans to flee the country.

Although I think that Judge Murphy could have given each side 15 minutes after lunch to present their final argument and he could have ruled from the bench, I recall two things from earlier hearings: First, Judge Murphy has shown that he's very thorough and schooled in the statute when he ruled on new rule 55.1 --effective July 2021.

Second, I believe that Judge Murphy most likely signed the warrant for BM's arrest and I don't think he wants to give BM's defense team any reason to request he recuse himself from hearing this case. We also know that E & N are equally creative in pursuing technicalities when they can be found in their favor. I'm ok with waiting two weeks to learn of his ruling. MOO

Rule 55.1 - Public Access to Court Records in Criminal Cases, Colo. R. Crim. P. 55.1 | Casetext Search + Citator.

I think people are misinterpreting that charge a little bit. The complaint makes it clear that he tried to deceive those officials, not bribe or threaten them ("attempted to influence [...] by means of deceit"). And a number of those officials already testified during the preliminary hearing. So I think the charges are just based on BM lying to LE during the interviews, not on any additional acts.
Meh, we don't know until we see the AA.

We really need the AA to get a grasp on this.

That live shell in the bedroom means something, but I don’t have a clue what that is.

The 22 also means something, but I don’t know what that is either.

Barry says he shot deer recently with the dart gun (different from the 22), but the initial investigator said it didn’t look like it could fire.

So I don’t know what the hell is going on.
Yes that .22 shell is a big clue and it was driving me nuts all day trying to reconcile the tranquilizer dart with the presence of that unused shell in the bedroom. On Suzanne’s side of the bed. It means something. But what? Wth happened in there?! And wasn’t the voice activated spy pen found in the master bedroom closet in a box? If only…

‘I don’t care about the evidence’; Judge set to rule on Sept. 17 whether Barry Morphew’s case will go to trial | FOX21 News Colorado

8/24/2021

At a preliminary hearing, the judge is tasked with finding a probable cause for the existing charges before moving forward with an arraignment and trial. Chaffee County Judge Patrick Murphy couldn’t decide if there is enough evidence to move forward with a trial. A new hearing date to make that decision has been set for Sept. 17 at 1:30 p.m.

While speaking at a press conference in May 2021, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said that although no body has been recovered, his “belief is that Suzanne is not alive at this time.”

During the trial [hearing] on Tuesday, Morphew’s attorney told the judge she did not believe the state had met the burden of proof in its arguments during the preliminary trial. She asked the judge to allow Morphew be let out of jail. The judge said that he could not make a decision on that request Tuesday.

See the news link above for embedded video w/comments from DA Stanley & Prosecutors on the delayed decision by Judge Murphy.

Also, OP takes exception to the preliminary hearing referred to as a "trial" by the author. At this stage in the judicial process, prior to the arraignment, it's not even a pre-trial threshold.

This is a morbid question but here goes…if they found Suzanne’s skeletal remains could they test the bones for dart tranquilizer? Would it only be in tissue & muscle or could her bones have absorbed some of it too? Wait let me look that up and see if I can answer my own question. Standby if anyone else has wondered about this…

Ok well that took longer and was harder than I thought. How did we ever live without Google or the internet? God forbid any of us are ever under investigation and LE finds all the crazy things we have looked up online. :D

Anyway I didn’t find anything specifically about detecting tranquilizer dart medication like ketamine in human bones postmortem, however this was very interesting:

Human bone marrow as a tissue in post-mortem identification and determination of psychoactive Substances-Screening methodology - PubMed

If 30 drugs can be absorbed into bone marrow, including antidepressants, then it seems like tranquilizers might also be detectable. And I forgot about teeth & hair too.

In researching this question I came across something else that I wish I hadn’t read. And if it must remain in my head then it’s going in all of your heads too! :p So I read an article that says in rare cases, a human that has been shot with a tranquilizer dart will not become sedated but instead the drug will cause a paralytic effect where the person will be awake and conscious while rendered motionless. :eek: Omg that’s terrifying & the stuff of nightmares. :( You’re welcome.

Edited to add you might also be interested in checking out CIA poison air dart guns. Not related to this case but very interesting & scary too! Yeah I’m going to sleep now & hope I don’t have a bad dream. Happy thoughts…happy thoughts…night!

The answer to this is if she was shot with a dart and she died shortly after, whatever tranquilizer was in the dart would not be found in bone, bone marrow, hair or teeth because the cells would have to be alive for these types of deposits to occur. So no, it would not be traceable thru skeletal remains.

Years ago I was part of a local group of animal lovers who were trying to rescue some dogs who were dumped in our rural area. One of the dogs was captured early on in a baited trap, but the other two were frightened off by bears attracted to the food in the trap. We were finally able to anchor the dogs to another area by feeding them (and then taking up food to discourage bears, coyotes, etc). Before long both dogs had multiple porcupine quills in their face and chest.
We enlisted the aid of a local veterinarian who got tranquilizer darts and practiced with a blow gun. He was able to get the less skittish of the two dogs fairly easily ( and good thing because she had ingested some kind of poison and was probably 24 hours from organ failure. He was able to give her an antidote and she did fine.)The other dog was very skittish and it took quite awhile before he was able to dart her. And this is the reason for my post. We had about six of us ready to track/follow her after she was darted and she eluded us all. We searched for hours and were not able to locate her. Whether her individual biology or adrenaline or whatever, she was able to run off a good distance, even with a dedicated group trying to capture her. Her litter mate had succumbed to the tranquilizer much quicker.
So it is entirely possible that Suzanne may have been able to do more/get further away than we might assume, if she indeed was shot with a tranquilizer dart. Just some thoughts, based on my experience with tranquilizer darts.
-We did eventually capture the third dog and got her the care she needed and placed both with a very good local rescue. Just FYI :)

edited to fix spelling

Last edited:
Change of Venue?
If there is no hold over to trial, I would recharge BM and I would petition a change of venue. To Colorado Springs, or Denver....
@sunshine4040 Sbm for focus
So under CO. Rules of Criminal Procedure* your motion for a change of venue would allege a fair, expeditious trial cannot take place in this district court, and your supporting affidavits would say: _what _?

Last edited:

Attachments

• BA3793E3-343F-431E-B3BF-231D24DB209E.jpeg
    BA3793E3-343F-431E-B3BF-231D24DB209E.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
Wow - then he did a good job of explaining someone else's judicial reasoning about the A.A.

Perhaps he thinks the other judge should not be called out, but actually disagrees with that person.

If CO doesn't make public the name of a judge who signed the A.A. (even if the contents are sealed), that's really...secretive.

I'm not going to be so quick to discount that Judge Murphy signed the AA -- and probably several of the 100+ search warrants for this case!

While the 11 Judicial District includes District Court Judges serving each Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, and Park counties, there's only a part-time County Magistrate and one County Court Judge (civil, traffic, misdemeanors) serving Chaffee County--and Murphy the only District Court Judge in the county.

A good example is District Court Judge Scott Sells (Teller County / 4th Judicial District) who presided over Patrick Frazee's murder case in Cripple Creek, CO.
While Commander Adams of Woodland Park PD made all the applications and affidavits for the AA, plus numerous search warrants for his case, more than a few of the search warrants were also signed by Judge Sells. I don't recall who signed the AA here but unlike the 11th Judicial District, I know that the 4th has more than 20 Judges just in El Paso County to choose from. MOO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/002/19-11 Search Warrant.pdf

Last edited:
Lauren's live:

I can also recommend listening to Unmasked's most recent video. She was sitting just a foot from the Morphew daughters, and discusses a bit more about interactions amongst the family.

Morning all,

Not too sure how I feel bout the last 2 days of PH now after reading through everyone's posts :(
I feel prosecution provided enough but some of you are expressing concern they didn't so am a little unsure of what I've missed and am doubting my thoughts and feelings.
Anyway, what I wanted to ask, does anyone have a link to the photos of the sale of PP home for when Suzanne and BM bought it, I can only find the ones from last year, and there is a skirting board in one of the rooms I want too compare.

If anyone could help, I'd be most grateful.

I'm not going to be so quick to discount that Judge Murphy signed the AA -- and probably several of the 100+ search warrants for this case!

While the 11 Judicial District includes District Court Judges serving each Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, and Park counties, there's only a part-time County Magistrate and one County Court Judge (civil, traffic, misdemeanors) serving Chaffee County--and Murphy the only District Court Judge in the county.

A good example is District Court Judge Scott Sells (Teller County / 4th Judicial District) who presided over Patrick Frazee's murder case in Cripple Creek, CO.
While Commander Adams of Woodland Park PD made all the applications and affidavits for the AA, plus numerous search warrants for his case, more than a few of the search warrants were also signed by Judge Sells. I don't recall who signed the AA here but unlike the 11th Judicial District, I know that the 4th has more than 20 just in El Paso County to choose from. MOO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/002/19-11 Search Warrant.pdf
At 35:35 LS says that they learned today from Defense Lawyer IE that Judge Murphy had signed the AA.

JMO Sounds like JMO that it was part of IE argument that the Judge didn’t need more time to make a decision .JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966